Writing A book thread...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General_Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 General_Skye
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts

I am currently writing a book, and if anyone could give any tips, than i would appreciate it.

I will not give away the plot or the title, but if you could give basic tips that would be nice.

Thanks

liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 liquid_s
Member since 2005 • 7159 Posts

I am currently writing a book, and if anyone could give any tips, than i would appreciate it.

I will not give away the plot or the title, but if you could give basic tips that would be nice.

Thanks

General_Skye
Write real words
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
Use real life experience to help with decriptions...and when you read something else, really examine it, and draw out whatever you can from it.
easteast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 easteast
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
I'm also writing a story. you should write mondaine stuff first, then save the good parts for an unexpected part of the book.
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
Write about the little people, everybody likes to hear about them. Once I was watching TV, and the little people were there, it was really boring, but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It was almost mesmerizing, almost as bad as the teletubbies
Quent1015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Quent1015
Member since 2004 • 507 Posts
Try to use the senses to describe things, and find unusual properties and characteristics of things to describe them.
Dasc00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Dasc00
Member since 2006 • 4308 Posts
Make the ending amazing.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts

I'm also writing a book. I just can't seem to get it to over 18,000 words though. I want it to be 30,000 ideally.

I don't know how to suggest writing better. Just use lots of description, and write about something that will appeal to as large an audience as possible.

Also, if someone knows a quick and easy way to get a publisher or an agent to pay attention to you, please let me know. I have been sending out online queries to all the publishers and agents I can find online, but no responses. I can't be assed to mail out 50 page manuscripts to 100 different places yet at this point.

My friend also has a completed book that I think is amazing and deserves to be published, but he can't find anyone either.

Oh the paradox. No publishers want you if you haven't already had a successful book. You can't have a successful book if you don't have a publisher first.

General_Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 General_Skye
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts

well. my book, is sort of a multi-genre book. I am incorporating (in every sense of way) feelings from popular books and books that im reading currently.

For example:

I add, puzzles (Da Vinci Code)

Notes, Killing, Murder (Koontz) \

...etc.

So, Im not having any problems on it whatsoever.

But, on the person who posted before me, i have a question. How many pages would you consider 15,000? And don't forget to keep on trying. J.K. Rowling didn't get it any easier on her first book either!

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
I'm writing a book too. I plan on making a lot of detectives and brining back an almost-dead genre.
Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
Don't write another formulaic fantasy novel.
not_grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 not_grape
Member since 2006 • 2156 Posts
Save.
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
Use all five senses when writing a book -- especially in first person. Make sure to use detail, describing the area, what someone looks like, etc. Make sure you have an idea of what you're going to write and make sure you don't excessively use words. Don't start something and then write something totally different that has nothing to do with the story, making the reader confused and not wanting to read it. Have them hooked to it, I guess you could say.

I'm also writing a book. I just can't seem to get it to over 18,000 words though. I want it to be 30,000 ideally.

I don't know how to suggest writing better. Just use lots of description, and write about something that will appeal to as large an audience as possible.

Also, if someone knows a quick and easy way to get a publisher or an agent to pay attention to you, please let me know. I have been sending out online queries to all the publishers and agents I can find online, but no responses. I can't be assed to mail out 50 page manuscripts to 100 different places yet at this point.

My friend also has a completed book that I think is amazing and deserves to be published, but he can't find anyone either.

Oh the paradox. No publishers want you if you haven't already had a successful book. You can't have a successful book if you don't have a publisher first.

Yarcofin
As of we speak, I'm writing my third book right now. Not published yet, but with my first book, I have 34,449 words. I'm going to go back and edit though, so it'll most likely be longer. With my third book, I have about 29,801 words of now, but I'm only on chapter thirteen. I am going to be having thirty-three chapters, so it'll be surely more than that. My second book, I don't know. xD I never checked and I don't know where it may be on my computer of yet, but I know it's somewhere in my folders.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Make the ending so that people will think that you won't write a sequel. Then totally amaze them.