Wrestling is it entertainment or a sport

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for govermentcheese
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 govermentcheese
Member since 2002 • 740 Posts

W.W.E. is a sport first then entertainment. For those of you who say it is fake tell that to Owen Hart who was killed durning a match. Wrestling is choreographed but it is a real sport and is very very very very dangerous. Anyway I am a wrestling fan forever. Here are some of the great ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDj_E0QLNshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiuCouxGn8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4zPNM09I0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_y3OOQniDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BXFVvUGkDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKSFfnEpr8

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Match fixing and sports shouldn't be put in the same category. It's entertainment.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Remind me, what does the E stand for?
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 govermentcheese

As stone cold said Wrestling is real Thats the bottom line because Stone Cold SAYZ SO.

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

WWE, TNA, and all organizations similar are not sports.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

It's both. The results are fixed but but it's extremely athletic.

Zuzuvela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zuzuvela
Member since 2013 • 1993 Posts
Sport doesnt have scripted results and written storylines for its athletes Its not a sport, someones tragic death doesnt make it one
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's a greasy, sweaty, oily soap opera for dudes.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

The NBA has scripted results and people don't question it being a sport.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It's entertainment, not sport. Yes, it's athletic, but that does not make it a sport.

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

It is sports entertainment not a sport, it is pretty much stage work.

Entertainment (mainly stunt work) can be a very dangerous job, Brandon Lee died while fliming The Crow, a stuntman was killed while they wer fliming The Expendables 2. Those movies are not real.

Not taking anything away from the superstars I went to afew NXT live shows in the small NXT Arena in Tampa, and they earn their pay check. But I would not call it sports

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts

i will leave this here................

nash himself stated its entertainment wich it has always been

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

i doubt that it is coincidence that metaldoggear and governmentcheese made threads within three minutes of each other.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Remind me, what does the E stand for?wolverine4262
Well, this was fun.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
"Sports entertainment" is a good way to put it. It's entertainment that pretends it's a real sport for show.
nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

The NBA has scripted results and people don't question it being a sport.

Oleg_Huzwog
What makes you think that?
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThaneKrios28
"Sports entertainment" is a good way to put it. It's entertainment that pretends it's a real sport for show. JML897
yes its entertainment but the anti pro wrestling crowd who cry fake left and right have zero clue on how much abuse these guys take let alone how to even package a gimmick its not easy as people think
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77

For those of you who say it is fake tell that to Owen Hart who was killed durning a match. govermentcheese

Extremely stupid example. Owen Hart was not killed during a match and he was not killed while wrestling. He was killed before a match in a botched stunt that had nothing to do with wrestling at all. A better example to use would be Darren Drozdov, who was paralyzed during a match.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

ThaneKrios28

Nevermind him, Vince McMahon has been saying that it's entertainment, not sport, for 30 years.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThaneKrios28

W.W.E. is a sport first then entertainment. For those of you who say it is fake tell that to Owen Hart who was killed durning a match. Wrestling is choreographed but it is a real sport and is very very very very dangerous. Anyway I am a wrestling fan forever. Here are some of the great ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDj_E0QLNshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiuCouxGn8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4zPNM09I0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_y3OOQniDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BXFVvUGkDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKSFfnEpr8

govermentcheese
dude owen fell 90 feet to his death dumbass also eddie died of natural causes from years of past drug abuse
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThaneKrios28

[QUOTE="ThaneKrios28"]

worlock77

Nevermind him, Vince McMahon has been saying that it's entertainment, not sport, for 30 years.

yep also this

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts
Roland Barthes argues it's an art, not a sport, with regard to professional wrestling, which is what I'm sure you meant. See The World Of Wrestling - Roland Barthes If you're interested in this argument I suggest you read this, it's a short easy read. Personally, I feel that wrestling is one of those things people love to knock on because they know it's fake, like when children are easy to denounce Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, when they get the hint it doesn't exist. People behave like children when they learn that professional wrestling isn't real, except most people stopped being declarative when they grow older, but people persist to bash professional wrestling. I don't love it, but it's a performance art, and I don't think of it as any less of an art as any other kind of performance art.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Being a wrestler definitely requires skill and strength but it's not a sport.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

World Wrestling Entertainment and similars shows are entertainment shows. The fact former sport wrestlers like Kurt Angle and Shelton Benjamin have starred in them does not change that truth.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ThaneKrios28
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]Roland Barthes argues it's an art, not a sport, with regard to professional wrestling, which is what I'm sure you meant. See The World Of Wrestling - Roland Barthes If you're interested in this argument I suggest you read this, it's a short easy read. Personally, I feel that wrestling is one of those things people love to knock on because they know it's fake, like when children are easy to denounce Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, when they get the hint it doesn't exist. People behave like children when they learn that professional wrestling isn't real, except most people stopped being declarative when they grow older, but people persist to bash professional wrestling. I don't love it, but it's a performance art, and I don't think of it as any less of an art as any other kind of performance art.

hhh said it best on the very first tough enough its telling a story with your body
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

it is entertainment that incorporates aspects of athleticism.

but, no, it is not a sport.  A sport is where the victor wins because they are the best.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

if you're talking about WWE, then yes. But other wrestling is a sport. 

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Neither
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThaneKrios28

if you're talking about WWE, then yes. But other wrestling is a sport. 

dissonantblack
just throwing it out there but kurt angle enough said if you dont know who he is look him up because he is a legit 96 gold medal winner for the olympics and joined pro wrestling and still wrestles
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Both. Most professional wrestlers are at the peak of their physical development, and perform stunts of incredible risk to themselves. They are also actors and can deliver scripted entertainment in a way that seems not-so-scripted.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

Both. Most professional wrestlers are at the peak of their physical development, and perform stunts of incredible risk to themselves. They are also actors and can deliver scripted entertainment in a way that seems not-so-scripted.foxhound_fox

yeah, their improv skills are surprisingly good.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 worlock77

Roland Barthes argues it's an art, not a sport, with regard to professional wrestling, which is what I'm sure you meant. See The World Of Wrestling - Roland Barthes If you're interested in this argument I suggest you read this, it's a short easy read. Personally, I feel that wrestling is one of those things people love to knock on because they know it's fake, like when children are easy to denounce Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, when they get the hint it doesn't exist. People behave like children when they learn that professional wrestling isn't real, except most people stopped being declarative when they grow older, but people persist to bash professional wrestling. I don't love it, but it's a performance art, and I don't think of it as any less of an art as any other kind of performance art.lamprey263

Athletic theater is what I'd call it.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ThaneKrios28

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Both. Most professional wrestlers are at the peak of their physical development, and perform stunts of incredible risk to themselves. They are also actors and can deliver scripted entertainment in a way that seems not-so-scripted.mrbojangles25

yeah, their improv skills are surprisingly good.

look up cm punk, dean ambrose, jake the snake roberts, chris jericho . they are some of the best mic workers in the buisness
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox
yeah, their improv skills are surprisingly good.mrbojangles25
While the match's outcome might be scripted, the moves they do during it certainly don't always go as planned/practiced.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]yeah, their improv skills are surprisingly good.foxhound_fox
While the match's outcome might be scripted, the moves they do during it certainly don't always go as planned/practiced.

exactly, not to mention they do get hurt, and manage to continue to act while shrugging it off and put on a good show.

They really do respect the fans, at least in regards to the performance.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThaneKrios28

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]yeah, their improv skills are surprisingly good.mrbojangles25

exactly, not to mention they do get hurt, and manage to continue to act while shrugging it off and put on a good show.

They really do respect the fans, at least in regards to the performance.

john cena gets alot of hate and i admit im not big on his charachter either ( i still prefer the vanilla ice gimmick he had) but i met him last year and he really was a down to earth guy. i read a disgusting thing that back before wrestlemania this year people booed him in a make a wish video..... im sorry but if you dont like the guy fine but to boo a make a wish video in wich he granted 300 wishes aint cool in my book
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]exactly, not to mention they do get hurt, and manage to continue to act while shrugging it off and put on a good show. They really do respect the fans, at least in regards to the performance.

I think a big reason why people criticize it is because they go in thinking it's real, only to find out it isn't. I started watching WWF back when I was like 3, in the late '80's, and watched intermittently from then on every few years. I never thought it was real, I just loved how fun it was to watch. Like, the CM Punk/Undertaker match from WM29 was absolutely brilliant. When Taker sat up during that submission and starred Punk in the eyes? I sh!t a brick.
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 govermentcheese

The definition of a sport is to sweat. Hence forth wrestling is a sport.I forgive some earlier posters of this topic who started calling me name. I can tell your young. A young and inexperienced person go with the young and simple minded tactic of name calling because they do no posses the skill and maturity to have a good debate or opinion . Any way as I stated before Owen Hart passed away because of wrestling.. Anyway either your a fan or you are not . I will allways believe W.W.E. Wrestling is a sport.. As defined earlier sport = sweat.. Everybody have a good night and be safe posting..Cause STONE COLD SAYS SO..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkQqMeV38Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaV_JJd_Ww

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ThaneKrios28

The definition of a sport is to sweat. Hence forth wrestling is a sport.I forgive some earlier posters of this topic who started calling me name. I can tell your young. A young and inexperienced person go with the young and simple minded tactic of name calling because they do no posses the skill and maturity to have a good debate or opinion . Any way as I stated before Owen Hart passed away because of wrestling.. Anyway either your a fan or you are not . I will allways believe W.W.E. Wrestling is a sport.. As defined earlier sport = sweat.. Everybody have a good night and be safe posting..Cause STONE COLD SAYS SO..

govermentcheese

govermentcheese
hey jackass im 28 and have been watching wrestling since 1986 what does that tell you genius? the fact that you claimed owen died wrestling go's to show you have zero clue on what in the hell you are talking about ps. austin is retired get over it with the thats the bottom line quote
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#40 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Entertainment, though the wrestlers are certainly leaps and bounds more athletic than most sports players.

I think a big reason why people criticize it is because they go in thinking it's real, only to find out it isn't. I started watching WWF back when I was like 3, in the late '80's, and watched intermittently from then on every few years. I never thought it was real, I just loved how fun it was to watch. Like, the CM Punk/Undertaker match from WM29 was absolutely brilliant. When Taker sat up during that submission and starred Punk in the eyes? I sh!t a brick.foxhound_fox

wrestlemania-29-results-7_display_image.

Yeah, that match saved a sh*t PPV. Also glad they realized no one would believe the streak would end by a GTS, so rather than resorting to kick-out spam à la Cena vs Rock they went with something symbolic to make you think the streak is over by Punk hitting Taker with that urn.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Neitherchaoscougar1

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThaneKrios28

Entertainment, though the wrestlers are certainly leaps and bounds more athletic than most sports players.

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] I think a big reason why people criticize it is because they go in thinking it's real, only to find out it isn't. I started watching WWF back when I was like 3, in the late '80's, and watched intermittently from then on every few years. I never thought it was real, I just loved how fun it was to watch. Like, the CM Punk/Undertaker match from WM29 was absolutely brilliant. When Taker sat up during that submission and starred Punk in the eyes? I sh!t a brick.Slashless

wrestlemania-29-results-7_display_image.

Yeah, that match saved a sh*t PPV. Also glad they realized no one would believe the streak would end by a GTS, so rather than resorting to kick-out spam à la Cena vs Rock they went with something symbolic to make you think the streak is over by Punk hitting Taker with that urn.

um the taker vs punk match was the only good thing mania had lol rock vs cena 2 was lame hhh vs brock was done enough
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 govermentcheese

This proves my point wrrestling is real. Just like professional football.. Football and drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQKxugED1bQ

Owen Harts tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6XuDmx1gzE

If you dont have anything good to say about OWEN HART keep it to youself show some class.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThaneKrios28

This proves my point wrrestling is real. Just like professional football.. Football and drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQKxugED1bQ

Owen Harts tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6XuDmx1gzE

If you dont have anything good to say about OWEN HART keep it to youself show some class.

govermentcheese
..... . quit disgracing owen man your an idiot.
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 govermentcheese

I forgive you.. I am a idiot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqFO-Udq6s

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ThaneKrios28

there coming

govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 govermentcheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

This says it all...

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
Entertainment, I think the fact that people go by a script explains that...
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 govermentcheese

Everything has a script.I do not understand your point??

News has a script.

Football has a script

Golf has a script

Ping pong has a script

Hockey has a script

Nascar has a script

State of the union adress has a script

As it says on wrestling monday night

Wrestling then wrestling now wrestling forever..Thats profound and real..

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ThaneKrios28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

This says it all...

govermentcheese

Â