Would you still eat meat if you had to slaughter the animal by yourself?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you still eat meat if you had to slaughter the animal by yourself? (77 votes)

yes 78%
no 22%

Was watching the video below (Meat Eaters Asked To Kill Their Own Chicken For Dinner), and wondered what the majority "realistically" would do if forced to eat their meat under the same condition.

• 
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Yes. I wouldn't like it at first, but I'm not giving up chicken wings and cheese burgers.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Yeah, sure. It would get annoying after a while to take so long to prepare a meal but why not? I would probably try to find a faster way to kill pigs though...I never bled chicken, I always just cut the head straight off...that's one of the reasons I don't like the way my uncle (and I'm assuming most people) kills pigs...they do pretty much what they did to the chicken there but the pig sometimes takes forever to die and makes a lot of noise...I'd probably just brain it...I have nothing against killing animals (for food) but I don't like seeing them suffer.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Yes, because then I just killed the animal for nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

That depends, if I decide not to eat meat do I have to grow my own fruit and vegetables?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Already have

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@toast_burner: "That depends, if I decide not to eat meat do I have to grow my own fruit and vegetables?"

Will you still eat your fruits and vegetables if your crops were stepped on?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

No, because I've been considering going vegan for a long time now....seriously! I've been juicing for almost a year now and there have been days in a row that I haven't eaten meat.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Yeah. It would bother me A LOT at first considering I don't like the idea of going around butchering animals. But I'm sure I'll get over it. Or attempt to live off a strictly fruit diet...

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@korvus said:

Yeah, sure. It would get annoying after a while to take so long to prepare a meal but why not? I would probably try to find a faster way to kill pigs though...I never bled chicken, I always just cut the head straight off...that's one of the reasons I don't like the way my uncle (and I'm assuming most people) kills pigs...they do pretty much what they did to the chicken there but the pig sometimes takes forever to die and makes a lot of noise...I'd probably just brain it...I have nothing against killing animals (for food) but I don't like seeing them suffer.

it really is contradictory though, caring about how they suffer means you value their lives. because the concept of pain is merely applicable to a living.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, that's too much work

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Already have

^This~ I have cleaned and butchered Chickens, Deer, Elk, Pigs, etc..

I won't lie. It's not fun and kinda gross, but it's part of living out in the country i guess~

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

It wouldn't be my preferred profession but I'd do it. Chicken, pork, and seafood are staples to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

it really is contradictory though, caring about how they suffer means you value their lives. because the concept of pain is merely applicable to a living.

Doesn't seem contradictory to me...just because I'm eating them doesn't mean I don't want them to spend the least amount of time dying. There's no benefit to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If I had to, absolutely. I've shot and field dressed deer before.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

@toast_burner said:

That depends, if I decide not to eat meat do I have to grow my own fruit and vegetables?

While we're just throwing conditions around that aren't in the topic's question, not only what you said, but also you have to run 10 miles before each meal and do 2 push-ups after each bite.

If you were trying to remove the influence of "effort" from your decision, your question should be "do I have to pick my fruits and vegetables?" and not "grow my fruits and vegetables"

It often puzzles me how some people trip over themselves to no end in an orgy of confusion while trying to comprehend a simple hypothetical question that carries a clear intent.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I wouldn't enjoy killing the animals but I would do it. I want my meat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Mystery_Writer said:

@toast_burner said:

While we're just throwing conditions around that aren't in the topic's question, not only what you said, but also you have to run 10 miles before each meal and do 2 push-ups after each bite.

If you were trying to remove the influence of "effort" from your decision, your question should be "do I have to pick my fruits and vegetables?" and not "grow my fruits and vegetables"

It often puzzles me how some people trip over themselves to no end in an orgy of confusion while trying to comprehend a simple hypothetical question that carries a clear intent.

Well it seems rather unfair to add extra inconvenience to eating meat but not to eating vegetables. If I had to kill my own meat then I would cut back on meat, but if I had to go out and pick my own fruit then I'd cut back on fruit and eat more meat instead.

It's a dumb question because why would I kill the animal myself when I don't need to? There are tons of other things I enjoy but don't want to make myself.

If I had to kill my own food I would, but if I had to do my own surgery I also would. Fortunately we don't live in a world where you have to do everything yourself. Being grossed out by something doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you're not used to it. If I were raised on a farm or decide to look for a career in farming I would be used to it and would have no problem with it. As I am now I'm perfectly fine with having other people who know what they're doing to do that job for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Already have

This = 100 times. Still feel bad though.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

ain't nobody keeping me away from bacon

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I would probably waste less if did.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@toast_burner said:

Well it seems rather unfair to add extra inconvenience to eating meat but not to eating vegetables. If I had to kill my own meat then I would cut back on meat, but if I had to go out and pick my own fruit then I'd cut back on fruit and eat more meat instead.

It's a dumb question because why would I kill the animal myself when I don't need to? There are tons of other things I enjoy but don't want to make myself.

If I had to kill my own food I would, but if I had to do my own surgery I also would. Fortunately we don't live in a world where you have to do everything yourself. Being grossed out by something doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you're not used to it. If I were raised on a farm or decide to look for a career in farming I would be used to it and would have no problem with it. As I am now I'm perfectly fine with having other people who know what they're doing to do that job for me.

You could, for instance, intelligently neutralize the "effort" part in your head before making a simple yes / no answer.

Or you could, as you just did again, continue your orgy of confusion in your effort to comprehend a simple question while making excuses that the "question" is stupid.

But since your brain seems to have concluded the more likely intent of the question is "effort" rather than say "empathy", there isn't much to expect from your replies besides more cries about how "stupid" the question is.

So while this thread moves-on with many other intellectuals contributing just fine, here is a twist, just for you, so you won't feel left behind:.... The question intent is about.... "aliens"! ... now go wild in your thoughts & conclusions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would, and have. It might be because I've grown up on the countryside, but peoples reactions to killing animals for food is puzzeling to me. Ofcourse that nice steak was once a nice cow, and the pig was fairly cute as a piglet. But they were raised for consumption.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Mystery_Writer said:

@toast_burner said:

You could, for instance, intelligently neutralize the "effort" part in your head before making a simple yes / no answer.

Or you could, as you just did again, continue your orgy of confusion in your effort to comprehend a simple question while making excuses that the "question" is stupid.

But since your brain seems to have concluded the more likely intent of the question is "effort" rather than say "empathy", there isn't much to expect from your replies besides more cries about how "stupid" the question is.

So while this thread moves-on with many other intellectuals contributing just fine, here is a twist, just for you, so you won't feel left behind:.... The question intent is about.... "aliens"! ... now go wild in your thoughts & conclusions.

Why bother posting this at all if all you want is yes and no answers and no actual discussion?

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

Why bother posting this at all if all you want is yes and no answers and no actual discussion?

No no, for you, just keep going. Your brain conclusions are entertaining.

Although it is true the "yes/no" answer restriction is for people with low comprehension, but your sea of confusion that you think is "actual discussion" is really entertaining. So keep going.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Mystery_Writer said:

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

Although it is true the "yes/no" answer restriction is for people with low comprehension, but your sea of confusion that you think is "actual discussion" is really entertaining. So keep going.

What makes you think I'm confused? I answered your question you're just annoyed it wasn't the answer you wanted.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I'm sure i would. It would take some getting used to, but most definitely. Especially if i have to feed a family. Animal rights peeps piss me off, especially those reporting when a dog is left in a car. They act like they care, but then turn around and eat a burger. Stupid. If you care about animals, then you should care about all, and not eat any.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I've killed, processed and packaged hog before, and yes I went home and ate some of said hog the next day. It's really not that difficult, nor is it really that disgusting. It just takes patience and practice to do well. It made me appreciate meat more though, knowing all the processes it takes to actually have a slice of bacon or some sausage.

Also, lol at youngturks.. "Cow genocide, it's horrific"... give me a break.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

What makes you think I'm confused? I answered your question you're just annoyed it wasn't the answer you wanted.

So you your brain concluded "That depends, if I decide not to eat meat do I have to grow my own fruit and vegetables?" is a definite answer. That's sweet. Keep going.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Mystery_Writer said:

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

So you your brain concluded "That depends, if I decide not to eat meat do I have to grow my own fruit and vegetables?" is a definite answer. That's sweet. Keep going.

No my point as that the question you asked was stupid. It's clearly a loaded question to make eating meat seem bad.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I've been slaughtering my food since I was 5-ish. I don't see why it should bother me now.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 redstorm72

@Mystery_Writer said:

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

Dude, stop being an asshat. Toast's question was a completely logical extension of your topic. Asking "would you eat meat if you had to kill the animal?" is kind of a pointless question unless the same rules apply to other foods as well. It would be like asking, "would you wear pants if you had to make them yourself?", but allowing people to buy shorts. Of course people are mostly going to buy shorts, but not because they don't like pants enough to make them, just that it's easier to buy shorts, so the question doesn't really answer anything.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@toast_burner said:

You don't already do this?

I've never not had a garden in my backyard.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mystery_Writer

@toast_burner said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

No my point as that the question you asked was stupid. It's clearly a loaded question to make eating meat seem bad.

lol, did I just force your brain into submission and kicked it out of its "effort" based conclusions?

if so, then stay there, let's explore this new state of cognition you seem to have transitioned into.

With your new found comprehension skills, can you push your brain a little bit more and see what other reasonable intents the question might carry beside "making eating meat seem bad"?

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mystery_Writer

@redstorm72 said:

Dude, stop being an asshat. Toast's question was a completely logical extension of your topic. Asking "would you eat meat if you had to kill the animal?" is kind of a pointless question unless the same rules apply to other foods as well. It would be like asking, "would you wear pants if you had to make them yourself?", but allowing people to buy shorts. Of course people are mostly going to buy shorts, but not because they don't like pants enough to make them, just that it's easier to buy shorts, so the question doesn't really answer anything.

Before I continue with you. You're also concluding the intent of the question is "effort"?

p.s. I'm giving you a chance to revise your conclusion. Your buddy Toast abandoned ship with that conclusion (read the post above this one).

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

I don't know what I would do "realistically" because I "realistically" have never had to do such a thing so I have no "realistic" precedent to refer back to. I'd like to think I could. I've fished before and ate the fish I caught (doesn't count), but fish aren't adorable, nor could I see myself ever caring about them. I've wanted to go hunting before (haven't yet) so I'm fairly certain if I see an animal as food, and nothing more, I wouldn't have a problem killing and dressing it, beyond the fact that I don't know how to do it right.

Also, did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning, you seem real irked that someone interpreted your question differently than you intended. Maybe the video makes it a lot more obvious what you're going for, but ain't nobody wanna watch a 9+ minute buzzfeed video.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redstorm72

@Mystery_Writer said:

@redstorm72 said:

Before I continue with you. You're also concluding the intent of the question is "effort"?

p.s. I'm giving you a chance to revise your conclusion. Your buddy Toast abandoned ship with that conclusion (read the post above this one).

My conclusion was that you're an ass-hat.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

@redstorm72 said:

Mystery_Writer said:

redstorm72 said:

blah blah

blah blah

A sound conclusion based on his response so far.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Hell yeah.

I find it funny that we have all these people that oppose animal slaughter for meat consumption. Animals hunt other animals down and eat them. Humans are animals too, and we're at the top of the food chain. Heck, we're not even on the food chain anymore for the most part. Why is it wrong for humans (who are animals) to kill other animals for consumption?

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@redstorm72 said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

@redstorm72 said:

aw! ur feelingz is hurt! as u resort to insults while running away!

:) one troll down.. next!

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 redstorm72

@Mystery_Writer said:

@redstorm72 said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

@redstorm72 said:

I don't think you know what a troll is...

Why did you make this topic? Just to be a dick to everyone who's ideas differed slightly from your own? You've never even given your opinion on the topic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Mystery_Writer said:

@redstorm72 said:

What made you think I abandoned that? For someone who continuously rambles about intelligence you're not too bright.

Has it ever occurred to you that sometimes something can have two points and not just one? Just because I said the main reason I made that argument was to point out the illogical nature of your question does not mean the argument itself holds no merit. Both parts are true and you are yet to provide any argument against either.

Why don't you be a good sport and say what the purpose of this thread is? So far it just seems to be so you can throw petty insults at anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

No, I just don't have the stomach for that sort of thing.

I may be a heavy meat eater. But even cleaning and gutting a chicken would freak me out.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

My man, I hunt and fish, with small game you literally spit the shots as you chew.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mystery_Writer

@byof_america said:

I don't know what I would do "realistically" because I "realistically" have never had to do such a thing so I have no "realistic" precedent to refer back to. I'd like to think I could. I've fished before and ate the fish I caught (doesn't count), but fish aren't adorable, nor could I see myself ever caring about them. I've wanted to go hunting before (haven't yet) so I'm fairly certain if I see an animal as food, and nothing more, I wouldn't have a problem killing and dressing it, beyond the fact that I don't know how to do it right.

Also, did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning, you seem real irked that someone interpreted your question differently than you intended. Maybe the video makes it a lot more obvious what you're going for, but ain't nobody wanna watch a 9+ minute buzzfeed video.

Your first paragraph was decent and generous enough with plenty of logic that satisfies answering the question.

As for your second paragraph, take it easy. I do feel bad that I was hard on him. Perhaps I had some free time and really wanted to experiment to see if those really left-field wrong interpretation replies (that plague not just my posts, but the most clearest of posts I usually come across on forums) are the product of real misunderstanding or just trolling.

So I picked on toast's post to follow through with my research. And though he seems to have conceded at the end that he actually did not believe the question was related to "effort" as he originally claimed to be, I now believe I should not have gone after him.

Not because he wasn't trolling, as evidently he actually was based on his concession that seems to have been driven by his believe that I was trying to somehow demonize meat eaters, but because I seem to have unintentionally dragged and upset other honest people that came to defend him with good heart. So for that I apologize to all and will leave him be.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@redstorm72 said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

I don't think you know what a troll is...

Why did you make this topic? Just to be a dick to everyone who's ideas differed slightly from your own? You've never even given your opinion on the topic.

Take it easy, I apologize, it seems I went really hard after (what I believe) is a troll that I turned into a troll / bully myself towards others that came to defend him in good heart.

The topic is as my description of it in the original post. To see whether or not we could overcome our desire for meat and empathize with animals if we see how they suffer for our consumption.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Sure. So long as it's poultry, oinkers, and fish. I've already slaughtered my food in those categories. I still haven't tried slaughtering beef or pooch.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

No. I wouldn't be able to go through with it.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Yes.