Would you scare a child for the sake of fun?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

First of all, i gotta say i don't know where i should stand on this matter and there's this point of contention that it's not a good thing to scare the shit outta your child or any child for that matter (like the video above).... however, some say it's just for fun ... you laugh then you move on and the same goes for the child ...now i'm not sure about the latter ...this doesn't look good to me tbh but i've seen ppl favoring in for "it's no big deal" rather than "it's bad for the child" ... *shrugs*

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yeah, I'm not into that. Maybe a quick "boo" and that's it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Hell yeah, yee haw! Gotta be careful though, dont want to cry wolf. Youll lose trust.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mjorh

@Master_Live said:

Yeah, I'm not into that. Maybe a quick "boo" and that's it.

Same here

@iandizion713 said:

Hell yeah, yee haw! Gotta be careful though, dont want to cry wolf. Youll lose trust.

:D That's the thing, i think there's a chance the he or she grow up with trust issues ...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@mjorh: Whatever you do, they must never see that video.

"Daddy is that me when i was young?"

"No darling. Why i would never, ever! Your daddy loves you."

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mjorh

@iandizion713 said:

Yeah that video, despite being hilarious lol, is a bit too much ...the child literally lost it

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

At most, I let my younger brother play horror games. But nothing more than that.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjorh

@Maroxad said:

At most, I let my younger brother play horror games. But nothing more than that.

That's alright because he has an idea what he's getting into, it's safe, but in that video ... the kid literally thought she was gonna die

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

If it's fun, if it's like that man laughing a t a terrified child no, that's just cruel.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

oh hell yeah, that's a family tradition!

That video was cute.

but not, like, emotionally scarring them. Scare, yes...terrify, no.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Fear as a child is a funny thing. It is absolutely intense over the smallest things. I recall being pumped full of adrenaline and in a true fight or flight response during events like being closely chased during a game of tag or being in the dark alone behind a camper for 20 seconds. Eventually that fades, but I've always remembered that because it was so irrational.

But it's probably best to recognize: when you scare a kid by yelling boo from around a corner they're probably genuinely scared. When you pretend to be a werewolf in the dark, they are probably ****ing terrified.

I scare kids I know with the first kind. I steer clear of the second.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

That video shows true relationships in families. Kids love being scared. A lot of kids like the adrenaline rush. Kids also cry rsally easy making it seem like you went too far with the scare when in reality, the kid is literally still a baby. My niece got spooked once and she cried and hit me but 10 minutes later came back smiling and laughing asking me to show her my spooky mask again. She thought it was cool. SO, on that note, that little girl forever has something to laugh with her uncle about in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I scared other kids for Jesus when I was a kid, so I dont see how I could scare a child much more as an adult.....

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I sometimes hide and jump out at my kids, but that's the extent of it. Life is scary, it's okay be scared at times or get scared. Your body and mind needs to learn how to cope with such situations.

I personally feel no reason to video tape it and then post it for others to see. I'm not a fake internet point whore like many people are. I didn't think the video was funny, but I don't feel it was curel by any means.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

If it's on Halloween then I kinda do scare kids just for the sake of Halloween, little scares, not BIG scares if you know what I mean.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Startle? Yes. Scare? No. Scaring your kids is a good way to destroy trust. Startling them (with my boys, anyway) results in excited and uncontrollable laughter on their part and is never something they have had a negative reaction to. If they ever reacted in a fashion that indicated they were genuinely upset, I wouldn't do it.

-Byshop

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Ah no its not ok. I remember these guys who stole Halloween candy from these kids in their scary masks down the street from my home. They though it was funny. What they didn't know is that their older brother belonged to a gang from the SF Mission street in SF. They searched found and punished. Scaring kids it a no in my book. Poor girl, she's probably going to have nightmares. And most likely will never own a convertible, what a jerk.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mjorh

@-paranorman- said:

That video shows true relationships in families. Kids love being scared. A lot of kids like the adrenaline rush. Kids also cry rsally easy making it seem like you went too far with the scare when in reality, the kid is literally still a baby. My niece got spooked once and she cried and hit me but 10 minutes later came back smiling and laughing asking me to show her my spooky mask again. She thought it was cool. SO, on that note, that little girl forever has something to laugh with her uncle about in the future.

Well, that's another perspective on this ...i think overall, it depends on how you do it and as @Byshop said, startling is okay but scaring is a bit risky

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Absolutely I would. Children are the worst.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I scare my niece for fun.

Around Halloween time I threw a fake dead rat at her and she freaked out. The reaction is worth it.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Lol, that was pretty funny though

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

duh. i want my child to fear me.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjorh

@Gaming-Planet said:

I scare my niece for fun.

Around Halloween time I threw a fake dead rat at her and she freaked out. The reaction is worth it.

You are evil :P

@pimphand_gamer said:

Lol, that was pretty funny though

Yeah lol

@BabyPulpFiction said:

duh. i want my child to fear me.

Parenting done right :P

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mjorh

@turtlethetaffer said:

Absolutely I would. Children are the worst.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

No, not just for fun. But I have scared kids before, for educational reasons.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mjorh

@Jag85 said:

What were those educational reasons?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@mjorh said:
@Jag85 said:

Loading Video...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

Yeah that video, despite being hilarious lol, is a bit too much ...the child literally lost it

It's not hilarious to me actually, the kid is too small for that.

I did think the parents (or whoever closes the rooftop) did not expect this kinda of reaction but then I thought to myself, they did put this video online.

Can you imagine the childs horror, if you could you wouldn't do this stupid shit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

I did think the parents (or whoever closes the rooftop) did not expect this kinda of reaction but then I thought to myself, they did put this video online.

Can you imagine the childs horror, if you could you wouldn't do this stupid shit.

oh stop it, kids bounce back from stuff like that all the time. Girl was overreacting.

all dad has to do is be like "Its ok honey!" and then make the kid feel bad for crying and boom, suddenly the kid isn't afraid of convertibles any more.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 commander
@mrbojangles25 said:
@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

oh stop it, kids bounce back from stuff like that all the time. Girl was overreacting.

all dad has to do is be like "Its ok honey!" and then make the kid feel bad for crying and boom, suddenly the kid isn't afraid of convertibles any more.

she could have learned that being outside the car. Kids bounce back yes of course, but there's no need to put them through that.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjorh

@Storm_Marine said:
@mjorh said:
@Jag85 said:

Loading Video...

lmao that was brilliant

What's the movie?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mjorh

@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

i'm inclined to your take on this but i'm not sure tbh, it seems that i gotta do some digging to see what science has to say about this

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@mjorh said:
@Jag85 said:

Things like, the consequences for misbehaviour, or getting over fears.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By commander

@mjorh said:
@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

i'm inclined to your take on this but i'm not sure tbh, it seems that i gotta do some digging to see what science has to say about this

actually I watched the video with sound now, now I heard that the person outside the car was actually scaring the child by shouting oh my god, sonya.

That even made it a lot worse.

Let me tell you what science tells you about this, I followed about two lines of studying throughout my education, one was information technology, the other psychology and sociology. However knowing not to scare a child like this is just common sense.

Children are very advanced learning machines, and the younger they are the more impact things have on their personality. Now what this guy does here is putting fear of death in her heart just for his amusement. IT would be the same as I could convince you're going to die only to tell you afterwards it was a joke. Of course this would be harder with an adult but an adult also knows this isn't normal behaviour.

A child doesn't know this and since the child's brain is a state of fast learning it could become a part of her personality. If this is the child's caretaker or parent it's even worse. She can now think that it is ok to scare people to death, or that it is ok to scare children to death. What the exact consequences are nobody can know but that nothing good can come out of it that's a given.

The guy in the video deserves a punch in the lips.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mjorh

@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@commander said:
@mjorh said:
@iandizion713 said:

actually I watched the video with sound now, now I heard that the person outside the car was actually scaring the child by shouting oh my god, sonya.

That even made it a lot worse.

Let me tell you what science tells you about this, I followed about two lines of studying throughout my education, one was information technology, the other psychology and sociology. However knowing not to scare a child like this is just common sense.

Children are very advanced learning machines, and the younger they are the more impact things have on their personality. Now what this guy does here is putting fear of death in her heart just for his amusement. IT would be the same as I could convince you're going to die only to tell you afterwards it was a joke. Of course this would be harder with an adult but an adult also knows this isn't normal behaviour.

A child doesn't know this and since the child's brain is a state of fast learning it could become a part of her personality. If this is the child's caretaker or parent it's even worse. She can now think that it is ok to scare people to death, or that it is ok to scare children to death. What the exact consequences are nobody can know but that nothing good can come out of it that's a given.

The guy in the video deserves a punch in the lips.

Yeah this makes total sense, thanks for shedding light.