Would you consider getting a bidet?

• 59 results
#51 Posted by goodzorr (488 posts) -

I give this thread 5/7. No poop jokes yet and I can't be arsed to make any.

#52 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1297 posts) -

No. I want a squatting toilet. Much easier to poop that way. Westerners think they're so prestigious sitting up. but they're just making it harder on themselves.

#53 Posted by Serraph105 (33520 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

No. I want a squatting toilet. Much easier to poop that way. Westerners think they're so prestigious sitting up. but they're just making it harder on themselves.

You can have both. We have the squatty potty and that's pretty cheap as well.

#54 Posted by shellcase86 (4321 posts) -

Don't have one and haven't used one, but I'd be down.

#55 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25369 posts) -
@Randoggy said:
@GTR12 said:
@Randoggy said:

Much better than toilets.

^^^ this guy doesn't know what a bidet is/does.

As for the topic, I already have one, for about 220 AUD, about 140 USD. Has all the features except a drying function, I like it.

Will replace with a better model in the next 3 months just because it dries and its still really cheap.

You mean the water fountain?

This was a lot funnier that it should've been.

#56 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

@Byshop said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@GTR12 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: A Japanese toilet is a Bidet, they are the same thing.

You might want to correct the Wiki definition of it because this is what it's pictured as. I'm definitely not taking a dump on that. I've stayed at the Haneda Hotel at Haneda Airport in Tokyo a few times. So, the combo toilet/bidet in the rooms there don't look like the one below.

Perhaps, there are different variations. But, I'm no expert when it comes to bidets.

Like @Jag85 described, there are different types. Some are integrated into the toilet in one unit like in modern toilets in Japan. Others are a separate appliance like in your picture. You only use it for cleaning afterwards.

Bidets are practical and they are one of those things where I imagine that pure stubbornness is the only reason the US hasn't adopted them like most other countries (like the metric system).

I looked at some fancy toilets but eventually settled on just a simple spray hose that hooks up to the water line. Cost like $20 and took 10 minutes to install.

@GTR12 said:
@volsung said:

But you're going to wash your hands anyway,

Why do you need to?

Remind me to never shake your hand.

-Byshop

To be fair, it's not just the US, but also the UK, and probably most other Western countries. I'd say it's more down to ignorance, since most folks in the UK and US don't even know what a bidet is. It's odd how bidets (in various forms) are widespread across the developing world, yet they still haven't penetrated much of the developed world yet (except for Japan, of course). This is one area of technology where, ironically, the developing world is more "developed" than the developed world (except for Japan).

Speaking of shaking hands... In a lot of Eastern countries, it's considered rude to shake with your left hand. Because that's the hand that's often used to do the washing.

P.S. This thread kind of reminds me of a segment during Conan O'Brien's trip to Japan (while looking for Conan Town, named after the manga/anime character Detective Conan), where they had a segment on Japanese toilets:

Loading Video...

#57 Posted by SaltSlasher (938 posts) -

If they were at Lowes I'd buy one.

#58 Posted by Byshop (19519 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

To be fair, it's not just the US, but also the UK, and probably most other Western countries. I'd say it's more down to ignorance, since most folks in the UK and US don't even know what a bidet is. It's odd how bidets (in various forms) are widespread across the developing world, yet they still haven't penetrated much of the developed world yet (except for Japan, of course). This is one area of technology where, ironically, the developing world is more "developed" than the developed world (except for Japan).

Speaking of shaking hands... In a lot of Eastern countries, it's considered rude to shake with your left hand. Because that's the hand that's often used to do the washing.

P.S. This thread kind of reminds me of a segment during Conan O'Brien's trip to Japan (while looking for Conan Town, named after the manga/anime character Detective Conan), where they had a segment on Japanese toilets:

I think you underestimate how resistant most adults would be to re-learning how to poop.

I can think of countless things that can now be done better that people flat out refuse to do because it's not how they learned it or how they've already done it.

-Byshop

#59 Posted by Volsung (261 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

You can have both. We have the squatty potty and that's pretty cheap as well.

I just squat on the sea. >_>