Would this be considered plagiarism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

Example

The dog ate the cat.

My version

The horse ate the dog.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Why would it be?

QiiXii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QiiXii
Member since 2009 • 603 Posts

"Plagiarism - a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work"

I'd say no. :P

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

No...

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

Why would it be?

Shad0ki11
So I can take the framework of someone's sentence, change the words, and it won't be considered plagiarism?
-Iconoclast-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Iconoclast-
Member since 2005 • 6506 Posts
[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

Why would it be?

Hopkins_J
So I can take the framework of someone's sentence, change the words, and it won't be considered plagiarism?

Unless your entire composition is just replacing the nouns.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

No, because you wrote both of those sentences, they're both your own work :P

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
[QUOTE="Hopkins_J"][QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

Why would it be?

-Iconoclast-

Unless your entire composition is just replacing the nouns.

Yeah, If you're entire paper is just moving words around I think it would still be considered Plagiarizing.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
It's not plagiarism. You changed the entire context of that idea by changing the nouns. If you copied an entire story about a dog eating a cat and just changed it to the horse eating the dog but leaving the rest of the original story intact, that would be plagiarism.
hamhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hamhero
Member since 2008 • 201 Posts
theres a difference between a sentence and a story. if you tell the same story as someone else, chances are you cheating their story.
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

nah

Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts
chances are that if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are plagiarizing.
Lt_Horatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lt_Horatio
Member since 2010 • 140 Posts
chances are that if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are plagiarizing. Plzhelpmelearn
Exactly Also it doesn't matter if the sentence is different, if you steal someone else's ideas then that is plagiarism.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
You could have had a better example, but simply changing the words is plagiarism.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Plagiarism is claiming credit for another's ideas. Thus, simply paraphrasing or replacing words in a sentence, paragraph, story, essay, etc. is still plagiarism.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Firstly, plagiarism is often misconceived as just copying of words and phrases, but copying an idea is usually where most plagiarism comes from. "Replacing" words, or even rearranging a sentence "in your own words" is still going to be plagiarism, because you didn't cite the person who came up with theidea in the first place. Even if you make it nothing like the original in terms of composition, the person you got it from will still be the creator/owner of the idea, and requires a citation.

The best way to think of it is, like has been mentioned, "when in doubt, you probably are plagiarizing." So make sure that anything that isn't common knowledge (i.e. the sky is blue) or from your own brain (this however doesn't include things you've heard from other people and put in your own words, but your own original ideas) is always cited, regardless of how you use it. Once you get to the university level, your entire future could hinge on the ability to cite properly, and a single plagiarism claim could end everything. I know if you get caught plagiarizing at my university, you get expelled immediately, get F's in all your current courses (which ruins your GPA), and aren't welcome back for at least 5 years.

Like almost every one of my professors has said: "Just don't do it." You don't want to end up with the consequences for being lazy. Plus, when properly cited, a piece of work usually ends up being much better as it provides a way for people to explore more of the ideas you presented if they wish.

As for your example, just replacing the nouns in the sentence would be plagiarism, as "the dog ate the cat" is the original idea, and you are just applying that to a different situation involving different things.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
Could we get the actual example? Although I agree that if you have to ask, you're probably plagiarising.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

How hard is it to write "was eaten by" instead?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

bloodling

Or "The cat, finding its evasive maneuvers to be inffectual, was ultimately caught and devoured by that savage canine." Or whatver. :P

Although even then it's still just changing the words around to make them unrecognisable, and if you're still taking someone else's ideas, you're still plagiarising.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

Planeforger

Or "The cat, finding its evasive maneuvers to be inffectual, was ultimately caught and devoured by that savage canine." Or whatver. :P

Although even then it's still just changing the words around to make them unrecognisable, and if you're still taking someone else's ideas, you're still plagiarising.

Taking someone else's ideas isn't plagiarism though, that's normal. Replicating them closely when it starts to be more or less complex is plagiarism though.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
On a scale of one to Family Guy thats a zero. :?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
You can't use a simple sentence to decide if you can plagiarize someone's work.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

Taking someone else's ideas isn't plagiarism though, that's normal. Replicating them closely when it starts to be more or less complex is plagiarism though.

bloodling

Why yes... yes it is. If you rewrite Plato's "Republic" in your own words, and hold true to all the ideas he presents, then you are still plagiarizing his work.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]Taking someone else's ideas isn't plagiarism though, that's normal. Replicating them closely when it starts to be more or less complex is plagiarism though.

foxhound_fox

Why yes... yes it is. If you rewrite Plato's "Republic" in your own words, and hold true to all the ideas he presents, then you are still plagiarizing his work.

That's what I meant when I said replicating the ideas closely. Taking someone else's ideas isn't plagiarism if it's not that close to the original text and if it's not that long or complex. Two people could write pretting much the same thing in a few paragraphs without even knowing someone else wrote it. Some people could read a book then write something similar since the book inspired him, and that wouldn't be plagiarism either.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

That's what I meant when I said replicating the ideas closely. Taking someone else's ideas isn't plagiarism if it's not that close to the original text and if it's not that long or complex. Two people could write pretting much the same thing in a few paragraphs without even knowing someone else wrote it. Some people could read a book then write something similar since the book inspired him, and that wouldn't be plagiarism either.

bloodling

Taking credit for any idea that isn't your own is plagiarism. Period. If you try that in a university or college, you won't be around long. Saying "this inspired me" is a citation of sorts, it tells the reader that your ideas aren't purely original, and you were influenced by other writers. That wouldn't be plagiarism. Which is why it is always important to make reference to any idea that could not be considered your own. If you don't, you could end up in deep trouble.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

foxhound_fox

Taking credit for any idea that isn't your own is plagiarism. Period. If you try that in a university or college, you won't be around long. Saying "this inspired me" is a citation of sorts, it tells the reader that your ideas aren't purely original, and you were influenced by other writers. That wouldn't be plagiarism. Which is why it is always important to make reference to any idea that could not be considered your own. If you don't, you could end up in deep trouble.

Don't worry about me, giving your sources is always a big plus for your work. But you need to understand that nobody "owns" ideas. How many millions of people could have the same idea without being inspired by someone who wrote it? What if someone doesn't even know where that idea came from or what inspired him? Plagiarism has nothing to do with similar ideas and everything to do with basically copying stuff and showing it as if that complex set of ideas came from you.

If it's not that complex, you can very well change a few words and put it in your text as your own based on your research. Of course, putting your sources won't hurt anything but not doing so doesn't mean that it's plagiarism.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

Don't worry about me, giving your sources is always a big plus for your work. But you need to understand that nobody "owns" ideas. How many millions of people could have the same idea without being inspired by someone who wrote it? What if someone doesn't even know where that idea came from or what inspired him? Plagiarism has nothing to do with similar ideas and everything to do with basically copying stuff and showing it as if that complex set of ideas came from you.

If it's not that complex, you can very well change a few words and put it in your text as your own based on your research. Of course, putting your sources won't hurt anything but not doing so doesn't mean that it's plagiarism.

bloodling

Nobody "owns" ideas, but there is a level of academic dishonesty when you start claiming others ideas as your own (whether for profit or marks). And I can tell you, that at most universities or colleges, if you start using other people's ideas and "rewriting" them in your own words, you'll be reprimanded for plagiarism. They don't tolerate it, even if it is with the best intentions.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bloodling

Nobody "owns" ideas, but there is a level of academic dishonesty when you start claiming others ideas as your own (whether for profit or marks). And I can tell you, that at most universities or colleges, if you start using other people's ideas and "rewriting" them in your own words, you'll be reprimanded for plagiarism. They don't tolerate it, even if it is with the best intentions.

foxhound_fox

Let's say I found someone who wrote a topic about the exact same thing I am (which is pretty common), I don't need to say "I took my ideas from some other student's work". That's normal, you need to read about something before writing about it. But when it comes to something complex very similar or some facts you didn't get yourself, then you need to give your sources.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox

Let's say I found someone who wrote a topic about the exact same thing I am (which is pretty common), I don't need to say "I took my ideas from some other student's work". That's normal, you need to read about something before writing about it. But when it comes to something complex very similar or some facts you didn't get yourself, then you need to give your sources.

bloodling

Of course you need to research things, but in MLA you have to list your "works consulted" and in all styIes, you have to cite any source of material that isn't your own original work (which includes even single ideas presented in any text or work that isn't your own). Complexity has nothing to do with it. If Person X says: "Trees represent the fertility of life and the connectedness of nature to the Earth" then if you are going to use that in your work, even if you paraphrase or reword it, you are going to have to cite person X as the source, because they said it and you didn't.

Are you currently in college or university? Have you had experience writing academic papers? Plagiarism is a serious offence at the post-secondary level, and these institutions take it very, very seriously. Even if you accidentally forget to quote something, you could face a plagiarism charge (obviously with less consequence if you can prove you meant to cite it and forgot).

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts

APA Guidelines and definitions of plagiarism.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
nope.. I wouldn't consider that plagiarism
204259106jk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 204259106jk
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

yes, nobody owns ideas since the ideas must come from a source, so you need to acknowledge the authors.

An inspiration can form the basis for your own work and would not be considered plagiarism because you're notstealing somebody elses work and passing it off as your very own without giving credit to where that idea came from.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
woot.. my 4000th post
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bloodling

Of course you need to research things, but in MLA you have to list your "works consulted" and in all styIes, you have to cite any source of material that isn't your own original work (which includes even single ideas presented in any text or work that isn't your own). Complexity has nothing to do with it. If Person X says: "Trees represent the fertility of life and the connectedness of nature to the Earth" then if you are going to use that in your work, even if you paraphrase or reword it, you are going to have to cite person X as the source, because they said it and you didn't.

Are you currently in college or university? Have you had experience writing academic papers? Plagiarism is a serious offence at the post-secondary level, and these institutions take it very, very seriously. Even if you accidentally forget to quote something, you could face a plagiarism charge (obviously with less consequence if you can prove you meant to cite it and forgot).

foxhound_fox

Sometimes they do ask you what you consulted, but not doing so is not plagiarism. It's a way they can find out if you did some plagiarism or not.

Complexity is relevant to the issue. If it's not that complex, then there are not so many other ways to say it. What if you DID think of it all by yourself, you can't be accused of plagiarism, besides, nobody would even be able to accuse you of plagiarism. Whether you read about it or truly did think about it all by yourself is irrelevant to academic plagiarism.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bloodling

I don't understand why putting something in your own words is plagiarism. It's really not. Teachers always told us to always rewrite stuff in our own words or else it's plagiarism. I mean, look at all the journalists, they are talking about the same thing and have, most of the time, the same ideas about a subject. Does that mean they have to say they were inspired by all those articles? Of course not!

Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

no that's more like paraphrasing(i think) but even then it isn't paraphrasing

Toadso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Toadso
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

Example

The dog ate the cat.

My version

The horse ate the dog.

Hopkins_J

Why did the horse eat the dog? Horses dont usually eat meat. It must have been one brutal horse.
You shouldnt worry about plagiarism, you should worry about the crippled logic in statement
"The horse ate the dog"