Woofer in an apartment? My lows sound ugly without a woofer and shake the floor anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I have a 5.0.2 system. I watched Blade Runner again yesterday and Fury Road again a couple of days before. Bother sounded pretty good, but the lows sounded crushed. An example being the Blade Runner end theme. Will a woofer with minimal gain fix this. I don't want to bother the neighbors. How does it work? Would the speakers automatically stop trying to deliver the lows after I've used the calibration microphone?

My specs:

• Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR575
  • Front speakers: Sony towers (SSCS3), Sony center speaker (SSCS8) and Sony Atmos speakers
  • Surrounds: Pioneer towers (SP-FS52)

Alternatively, I might try to eliminate the deep lows by playing with the receiver's settings. If I can figure out the sliders.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38672 Posts

@ezekiel43: I'd say wrong forum but it looks like GS in their wisdom removed the AV hardware forum that used to exist..

you are trying to reduce the low frequencies heard? is there a setup menu in your receiver where you indicate whether or not a sub is present? i'm wondering if you cheat and tell it there is one present when there isn't then it will try to send the low frequencies to the sub channel rather than the other speakers..

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

My woofer can get pretty loud, but only when she wants food or walks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

@ezekiel43: I'd say wrong forum but it looks like GS in their wisdom removed the AV hardware forum that used to exist..

you are trying to reduce the low frequencies heard? is there a setup menu in your receiver where you indicate whether or not a sub is present? i'm wondering if you cheat and tell it there is one present when there isn't then it will try to send the low frequencies to the sub channel rather than the other speakers..

Switching that option on did nothing. I installed a Sony SA-CS9 sub-woofer today. I like the sound so far. Have kept the bass low. Someone told me on another forum that sub-woofers are actually better if you don't want to bother neighbors, because they're more precise and don't shake the room as much as towers. I wasn't paying attention to the part where he told me to get a compact sub, though. Oh well.