Woman dies after being refused medically necessary abortion (Ireland)

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, this is a Catholic country.

Link

Try this link if the above one doesn't work.

"Pro-life" my ass.

#2 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -
Aaaaaagh
#3 Posted by Shmiity (6099 posts) -

And the fails continue to pile up

#4 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -
God intended it.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#5 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

Hooray for religion! :roll:

#6 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -
*snip*
#7 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Link isn't working for me. I take it the fetus/child died? If so that's despicable.
One nation under religion.Jebus213
Link url says Ireland.
#8 Posted by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

lol Ireland

#9 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
God intended it.Jebus213
I just wish those gosh darn ladies would shut up about their bodily "rights" and accept God's will. The world would be better off that way.
#10 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -

lol Ireland

Barbariser
It happened in Ireland? I guess I'll find out when OP fixes the fvcking link.
#11 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

"This is revenge for gay marriage." - Some right wing nutcase in the near future

#12 Posted by supa_badman (16714 posts) -

Thought the Catholic stance on abortion was that it was ok if it meant life or death?

#13 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

lol Ireland

Jebus213

Don't jump to conclusions
#14 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.
#15 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
Very sad and upsetting
#16 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Thought the Catholic stance on abortion was that it was ok if it meant life or death?

supa_badman

I don't think they know what they believe. It's just flavor of the month for them

#17 Posted by tocool340 (21189 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="Barbariser"]

lol Ireland

dave123321

Don't jump to conclusions

Whoa you've actually came ba--.....actually......actually almost fooled me into thinking you were Hokie...:lol:

#18 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -
Fix the damn link already.
#19 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
Fix the damn link already.Jebus213
calm down
#20 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/14/ireland-woman-dies-after-abortion-refusal.
#21 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Fix the damn link already.Jebus213
I'm sorry for that. This is the only other link I can find.
#22 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]Fix the damn link already.ghoklebutter
I'm sorry for that. This is the only other link I can find.

Yep, this is what God intended...
#23 Posted by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

lol Ireland

Jebus213

Don't have to read, the name "Ireland" is in the URL itself. Also if something horrible and yet darkly hilarious at the same time happens due to Catholicism and social conservatism you can bet its gonna be from Ireland.

#24 Posted by Jebus213 (10013 posts) -

lol Ireland

Barbariser

Don't have to read, the name "Ireland" is in the URL itself. Also if something horrible and yet darkly hilarious at the same time happens due to Catholicism and social conservatism you can bet its gonna be from Ireland.

Here in good old Jesusland(America) a man killed his 4-year old son because he thought his he was gay
#25 Posted by AdrianWerner (28440 posts) -

Generally I'm against abortions for moral reasons, but there are exceptions and this is it. When the pregnancy endangers woman's life or health then abortion is nothing else than self-defense. If you ban it in this case, you have to also ban self-defense and take firearms from from policemen.

It's often noble when women decides to endanger herself for the sake of it's child, but nobody should ever be forced to such sacrifice.

#26 Posted by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

lol Ireland

Jebus213

Here in good old Jesusland(America) a man killed his 4-year old son because he thought his he was gay

Ehh that's not too surprising, the U.S. is also one of the most religious and socially conservative countries in the world and has like 65 times the population of Ireland. Ireland joined the Eurozone, that level of stupidity surpasses anything the U.S. has done in my living memory.

#27 Posted by Strakha (1824 posts) -

Generally I'm against abortions for moral reasons, but there are exceptions and this is it. When the pregnancy endangers woman's life or health then abortion is nothing else than self-defense. If you ban it in this case, you have to also ban self-defense and take firearms from from policemen.

It's often noble when women decides to endanger herself for the sake of it's child, but nobody should ever be forced to such sacrifice.

AdrianWerner

I just checked and abortion in Ireland is supposed to be legal in cases of rape or if life is at risk. Also I was looking through other national statistics and Ireland is the only European nation besides France & Turkey to have birth rate that is equal to or above replacement rate of 2.01 children born/woman. That suggests they do have stricter requirement for abortion than other European nations and/or are among the most religious as many have already suggested is the case.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html?countryName=Ireland&countryCode=ei&regionCode=eur&rank=130#ei

#28 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

Religion be damned in this case.

#29 Posted by krazykillaz (21141 posts) -
If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.XilePrincess
I wish I didn't laugh at that.
#30 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.krazykillaz
I wish I didn't laugh at that.

"without exception. Understand though, that when we talk about exceptions, we talk about rape, incest, health of a woman, life of a woman. Life of the woman is not an exception." Joe Walsh, Republican

We really dodged a bullet last tues.

#31 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
Pro li...Oh
#32 Posted by Celldrax (15043 posts) -

Not sure what to say really... Other than the fact that their utterly brain dead stupidity allowed them a complete disregard for human life.

Sad to see that this isn't all that uncommon around the world.

#33 Posted by tenaka2 (17054 posts) -

it is changing but ireland is still a very catholic country.

#34 Posted by AdrianWerner (28440 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Strakha

I just checked and abortion in Ireland is supposed to be legal in cases of rape or if life is at risk. Also I was looking through other national statistics and Ireland is the only European nation besides France & Turkey to have birth rate that is equal to or above replacement rate of 2.01 children born/woman. That suggests they do have stricter requirement for abortion than other European nations and/or are among the most religious as many have already suggested is the case.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html?countryName=Ireland&countryCode=ei&regionCode=eur&rank=130#ei

I live in Poland and here the regulations are pretty much the same. The only thing one can do in such cases is to sue the hell out of your own country in front of international courts. European tribunal almost always sides with the victim in those cases and forcing the goverment to pay a lot is the quickest way to ensure it doubles down on enforcing it's own law.

Seriously, I can understand that somebody is religious and his religion doesn't allow abortions, but if that's the case..pick different medical specialization for Christ's sake,

#35 Posted by GrayF0X786 (4185 posts) -

is this another attempt to downplay religion? *sigh*

#36 Posted by lamprey263 (35030 posts) -
OMG it's a Republican's wet dream
#37 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -
another atheist thread discussing about blaming/bullying religion
#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163083 posts) -
One life either way.....
#39 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
One life either way.....LJS9502_basic
Except this took both...
#40 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163083 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]One life either way.....chaoscougar1
Except this took both...

That's odd. They usually save one of them...
#41 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]One life either way.....LJS9502_basic
Except this took both...

That's odd. They usually save one of them...

lol OT_doctor
#42 Posted by TheFlush (5912 posts) -

These religious nutjobs are not pro-life, they are pro-birth.
They choose the life of an unborn foetus above that of a living woman.
Seriously, this religious insanity has to go.

#43 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Abortion is generally wrong, but it was justified in this case. This is very different from using it as retroactive birth control, which is sickening to me.

#44 Posted by SteverXIII (3840 posts) -
An an Irishman living in this still catholic dominated country, let me say f*ck every single one of the pro-life religious nuts in this country. They do not care about rights of women, they are eternally bound by their ridiculous book and are living in the past. I have never met a single pro-life person here in Ireland who can give me a single solid reason on why it shouldn't be allowed. It is a damn shame this poor woman died because of the messed up laws in this country, but her death will kickstart this debate again and there's no doubt in my mind Ireland will allow abortion in the future May she R.I.P
#45 Posted by gamerguru100 (12701 posts) -

FFS

#46 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]God intended it.ghoklebutter
I just wish those gosh darn ladies would shut up about their bodily "rights" and accept God's will. The world would be better off that way.

i am assuming you aren't a woman and a christian believer?
#47 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30465 posts) -

MURIC...oh i mean IRELAND

#48 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.XilePrincess
i don't think you know general biology...
#49 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.The_Last_Ride
i don't think you know general biology...

I don't think you watch the news...
#50 Posted by gamerguru100 (12701 posts) -

MURIC...oh i mean IRELAND

Aljosa23
lol