This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

So installed the Windows 8 Preview today, and I cannot figure out how to add music to My Collection in the music app.

• I have a 750GB Hard-Drive Split into two partions, one is C:\(175 GB) and the other is D:\ (500 GB). The C:\ drive contains all my operating system files, and the D:\ drive contains all my music and video games.
  • All my music files are of the WAVE format.
  • Upon launching the Music App in Windows 8, it says that nothing is in "Collection" and I cannot figure out how to get my music files to be added to it. I've tried everything from having my music files open with the App but that doesn't add them to the Collection, I've tried moving the files to the Music Library on the C:\ Drive, and to My Music, and I've searched all over the App to look for a way to add my files, and I cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance to any help!

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Looks like your windows.dll file is corrupt, delete it.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CptJSparrow
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.

This. Windows is the problem.
El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El3ctrosisV2
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.CptJSparrow

Well considering this is not a finished version of Windows 8 there are bound to be problems. Were people expecting it to have no bugs or issues?
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CptJSparrow
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.El3ctrosisV2

Well considering this is not a finished version of Windows 8 there are bound to be problems. Were people expecting it to have no bugs or issues?

Yes.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="El3ctrosisV2"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"] This. Windows is the problem.CptJSparrow

Yes. :|

Expecting a Beta launch of an Operating System to have no bugs or issues is an unrealistic and impossible expectation.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CptJSparrow

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="El3ctrosisV2"] Well considering this is not a finished version of Windows 8 there are bound to be problems. Were people expecting it to have no bugs or issues?DarkGamer007

Expecting a Beta launch of an Operating System to have no bugs or issues is an unrealistic and impossible expectation.

Exactly.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.El3ctrosisV2

Bugs and issues is a constant with Windows systems.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
[QUOTE="El3ctrosisV2"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"] This. Windows is the problem.kuraimen

Bugs and issues is a constant with Windows systems.

As they are with linux and every other piece of software on the planet
El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 El3ctrosisV2

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="El3ctrosisV2"] Well considering this is not a finished version of Windows 8 there are bound to be problems. Were people expecting it to have no bugs or issues?DarkGamer007

Exactly. People just love to hate anything done by Microsoft. It's the cool thing to do. Yet they'd be lost without them. Windows 8 isn't going to officially launch until at least the end of this year I think. This is a preview version, far from finished. I've installed the preview and am impressed with it. It's extremely fast and doesn't take long to get used to. I am having an issue with not being able to sign into the Xbox app which is slightly inconvenient. As long as when it does launch, it's compatible with Steam and all my disc based PC game I'll happily upgrade.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CptJSparrow
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"] Yes. :|El3ctrosisV2

Exactly. People just love to hate anything done by Microsoft. It's the cool thing to do. Yet they'd be lost without them. Windows 8 isn't going to officially launch until at least the end of this year I think. This is a preview version, far from finished. I've installed the preview and am impressed with it. It's extremely fast and doesn't take long to get used to. I am having an issue with not being able to sign into the Xbox app which is slightly inconvenient. As long as when it does launch, it's compatible with Steam and all my disc based PC game I'll happily upgrade.

shut up you PC elitist.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Step 1. Uninstall Windows 8 Step 2. Install Linux Step 3. Install Amarok Step 4. Listen to your music :P j/k I have no idea how that thing works or care to know.kuraimen
Brilliant. :P

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El3ctrosisV2
Erm, Ok. I was just trying to be mature and helpful and tell you that I actually like Windows 8 so far. That makes me an elitist?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hexagon_777

Someone clue me up here. This preview version is free, right? Once Windows 8 rolls out, do you get to keep the preview version or...?

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkGamer007

Someone clue me up here. This preview version is free, right? Once Windows 8 rolls out, do you get to keep the preview version or...?

Hexagon_777

Preview Version is free, the "trial" will probably end when the full version rolls out.

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 El3ctrosisV2

Hexagon_777
The preview is free. When you download the iso there is the activation code on Microsoft's website to use when installing. I imagine when I does launch, to get the finished OS you'll have to buy it.
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
Windows XP and 7 are still better.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hexagon_777

Preview Version is free, the "trial" will probably end when the full version rolls out.El3ctrosisV2
The preview is free. When you download the iso there is the activation code on Microsoft's website to use when installing. I imagine when I does launch, to get the finished OS you'll have to buy it. DarkGamer007
I am happy with Windows 7 for now. Bought it a few weeks ago too. Might just skip Windows 8. :) Thanks for the info!

ordinateur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 ordinateur
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

So installed the Windows 8 Preview today, and I cannot figure out how to add music to My Collection in the music app.

• I have a 750GB Hard-Drive Split into two partions, one is C:\(175 GB) and the other is D:\ (500 GB). The C:\ drive contains all my operating system files, and the D:\ drive contains all my music and video games.
  • All my music files are of the WAVE format.
  • Upon launching the Music App in Windows 8, it says that nothing is in "Collection" and I cannot figure out how to get my music files to be added to it. I've tried everything from having my music files open with the App but that doesn't add them to the Collection, I've tried moving the files to the Music Library on the C:\ Drive, and to My Music, and I've searched all over the App to look for a way to add my files, and I cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance to any help!

DarkGamer007

In Windows Explorer, to go Libraries -> music. Then choose "manage libraries" from the ribbon bar and select your music disk.

ordinateur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 ordinateur
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

There is a bug right now, music files must be in the "My Music" folder

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

Hexagon_777
I would assume that the process would be similar to the Windows 7 release. I downloaded the beta and really enjoyed it, however it did expire a little while after the real thing came out.