will the U.S. fall like Rome?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]America never had the 22nd amendment at that time.

edit: Just saw your edit. Caesar was anything but horrible and FDR is a top 3 Pres.

surrealnumber5

Yeah, calling Caesar or FDR horrible is either blatant trolling or historical ignorance on a monumental level.

sticking citizens in concentration camps, what a hero......

Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the Civil War. Does that mean he shouldn't be revered as well, and the whole "preserving the union" and "ending slavery" bits mean diddly?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Yeah, calling Caesar or FDR horrible is either blatant trolling or historical ignorance on a monumental level.

Verge_6

sticking citizens in concentration camps, what a hero......

Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the Civil War. Does that mean he shouldn't be revered as well, and the whole "preserving the union" and "ending slavery" bits mean diddly?

lincon did a lot of evil in his time and also should not be canonized by people, you will never find me placing a war leader on any high horse. with that said, lincon never imprisoned people based on race, he never created a state aid act and used it to fund his political campaign, and not as the funds were intended, he never burned crops and cattle to drive up prices when people were starving, he never let the country get attacked so he could retool the country for war, all of these things separated lincon and fdr.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 surrealnumber5

except Churchill but that is more so an admiration for his wit than his politics

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
All empires fall. The US is no exception. Hell, the US isn't even trying
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
Nothing can stop America except for an alien invasion!!
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#106 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

Israel will become the next super power, then after Israel the Mahdis arrival before Jesus willl unite the 57 islamic states and become the world leader and the khilafah will be re established. with whats happening so far, WW3 is imminent.

hurr durp GrayFox talking rubbbish again hurrr. y'all will see :)

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

America will not collaspe but I feel it will become increasingly divided. Its such a massive place with a relatively small population, directly compared to india or china for example, there is simply so much land inbetween places. I believe America needs to refocus on rebuilding itself. Great countries always prosper when they focus on themselves, then branch out into the world. Look at china, it built itself up and then went mass market. America much like the UK built itself up, went to open market, saw it could buy all this cheap stuff from the east and low and behold its car makers went down and all the manufactoring faltered. Money was poured out of America in the hope of making more money. The truth is, there is only a certain amount of money in the world, you cant expect to keep getting more and more. The figures may rise but the actual "richness" I feel is becoming less and less.

China will see a dip as well at some point soon I fear. I am just so amazed that we humans managed to come up with something (money) and we lose it. How do you do that is beyond me :P

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#108 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

The United States will not fall like Rome

The United States will not end up like Greece

The United States will always Prevail..

Floridaman46
aha.......
Avatar image for radicalcentrist
radicalcentrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 radicalcentrist
Member since 2012 • 335 Posts

discuss

biggerdjam

Considering that national income accounting did not exist in Roman times, the only answer to that question is "we don't know how Rome fell, therefore we don't know whether we will fall like Rome"

misteroram01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 misteroram01
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

May be !!! Depends on time

Chickity_China

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111 Chickity_China
Member since 2007 • 2322 Posts

I can say I see it being replaced but as this guy said [QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not expecting DC to be sacked by barbarians, if that's what you mean.Darthkaiser
I don't see that^^ happening lol

But Activision makes it seem so plausible..

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Eventually. It will not become third country-like though but it will probably have its share of civil unrest and states conflict.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#113 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

America will not collaspe but I feel it will become increasingly divided. Its such a massive place with a relatively small population, directly compared to india or china for example, there is simply so much land inbetween places. I believe America needs to refocus on rebuilding itself. Great countries always prosper when they focus on themselves, then branch out into the world. Look at china, it built itself up and then went mass market. America much like the UK built itself up, went to open market, saw it could buy all this cheap stuff from the east and low and behold its car makers went down and all the manufactoring faltered. Money was poured out of America in the hope of making more money. The truth is, there is only a certain amount of money in the world, you cant expect to keep getting more and more. The figures may rise but the actual "richness" I feel is becoming less and less.

China will see a dip as well at some point soon I fear. I am just so amazed that we humans managed to come up with something (money) and we lose it. How do you do that is beyond me :P

o0squishy0o

Wtf are you talking about? America is far more densely populated today than it has for most of its history, and there is no reason why geographic dispersal should be a significant factor in the stability of a country which can move men, material and messages around the entire breadth of itself in extremely short periods of time. Canada and Australia are also fvckhuge and their combined populations would literally be smaller than each and every one of the U.S.'s four major geographic regions.

Also free trade is in no way bad for the U.S. - offshoring your manufacturing base to someone who can do it much cheaper than you and converting to a service-based consumer economy is far superior to subsidizing local goods and/or reducing standards of living to maintain a domestic industrial base that has to compete with extremely low cost foreign ones. The amount of money saved for increased consumption and investment (and the new jobs created by this) and the movement of displaced manufacturing workers into higher productivity jobs is well worth the slight increase in frictional unemployment.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#114 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

That's pretty much the direction it's headed in, at an ever-accelerating rate.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
We will not fall like Rome, we will recover and be as strong as ever.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
not like rome. we'll do it better.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

lincon did a lot of evil in his timesurrealnumber5
That can be said for just about any politician.

lincon never imprisoned people based on race, he never created a state aid act and used it to fund his political campaign, and not as the funds were intended, he never burned crops and cattle to drive up prices when people were starving,surrealnumber5

Yes, he also only allowed a certain general to go on an unstoppable rampage against noncombatants through the south, burning everything as he went. Oh, and a little incident involving federal troops and ships shooting at American civilians. In New York. Not really much seperating the two from your standards, I don't think.

he never let the country get attacked so he could retool the country for war.

surrealnumber5

You've used multiple accusations against FDR that are conspiracy theories so far, but this one takes the cake, and is not something one should use if they want to appear credible. You might as well say 9/11 was an inside job. If we're going to toss rationality and proven historical fact to the wind, there's no real point in continuing this debate (something I fully intend to follow through, because as a historian I can only bear so much). FDR did not care nearly as much about Japan as he did Germany, as evidenced by countless documents and acts, and an attack by the Japanese is not a way to get support for declaring war on said (it wasn't until Hitler declared war on the US that the public was in favor of joining the Atlantic theater). This laughable theory also belies the great lengths Japan had to go to to launch the attack, developing numerous radical tactics and designs that were needed to overcome equally numerous obstacles. And if he knew specifically Pearl Harbor was to be attacked, and when, his intelligence sources would have no problem gathering the location of a vast Japanese carrier fleet, and have a fleet of subs shadowing them and attacking right when the attack took place, eliminating Japan's greatest asset in one fell swoop. And while FDR was a navy man, it seems a bit of a stretch to assume he knew about an attack that flew in the face of every Japanese-American war plan made up to that point, don't you think? So your point against FDR relies on;

A) Roosevelt having rather dubious ideas about how to manipulate public sway

B) Roosevelt knowing Hitler would declare war on the US

C) Roosevelt having ludicrous amounts of intel, to the point that any and all prior contingency plans would be rendered obsolete after his scrutiny and he'd have a better time being an omniscient war strategist than a president.

D) Roosevelt being a cunning mastermind and simultaneously a complete and utter twit due to letting a carrier attack force that he supposedly knew about run rampant for over half a year afterwards

E) Roosevelt having an idea of Japan's capabilities, something hardly anyone in the United States could comprehend (a throwback to C), but it is particularly amusing). In fact, the notion that the Japanese were backwards goldfish breeders that couldn't bomb accurately due to having narrow eyelids was a popular belief.

F) The government swaying on the whims and fantasies of a solitary man and being competent enough to carry out massive scale conspiracies without bungling everything up and making it all public (no, your internet forums and post-2008 History Channel are not valid venues)

In short, your point requires FDR to be an all-knowing god that uses whole governments as pawns, yet somehow manages to also be a deplorable strategist.

This conspiracy theory is bad and you should feel bad for even thinking it has a semblance of credibility.

[spoiler] Unh5ZVhGLWk5Z1kx_o_your-musics-bad-and-y [/spoiler]

Moving on, you can't say "this depraved act isn't as bad as this depraved act, so y is a better person than x". That's not how it works. Both leaders did terrible things, but to completely overlook the reasoning behind such things (should there be any, of course), what was at stake, and other factors, is to show a total lack of understanding of history and common sense. Doubly so to stick your head in the ground and ignore the monumental achievements both men made.

Tofayel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Tofayel
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I think so, very soon American age will be end.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Probably not like Rome but the US as we know it will collapse at some point. That much is inevitable and I doubt many will see it coming when it does happen. What will be interesting is how it will effect the rest of the world in this era of globalization.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Israel will become the next super power, then after Israel the Mahdis arrival before Jesus willl unite the 57 islamic states and become the world leader and the khilafah will be re established. with whats happening so far, WW3 is imminent.

GrayF0X786
lol what a fckn tard you are
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I think USA as we knew and loved it is already gone. Now is the time of infighting by jackals, class warfare, and pigs at the trough demanding more more more.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 -Sun_Tzu-

I think USA as we knew and loved it is already gone. Now is the time of infighting by jackals, class warfare, and pigs at the trough demanding more more more.

ZombieKiller7

hahahaha

That is certainly an unique interpretation of recent history

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Hopefully not in my lifetime, but their are signs. But my professor said the US will not collpase if the Federal Reserve Bank had the authority to print out money and issue the money to the governement, but the printing of money means less spending power and high inflation.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

BossPerson

Avatar image for radicalcentrist
radicalcentrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 radicalcentrist
Member since 2012 • 335 Posts

Probably not like Rome but the US as we know it will collapse at some point. That much is inevitable and I doubt many will see it coming when it does happen. What will be interesting is how it will effect the rest of the world in this era of globalization. -Sun_Tzu-
maybe finance, transportation and communications will become so cheap that national boundaries, and therefore states, will be irrelevant anyway.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Probably not like Rome but the US as we know it will collapse at some point. That much is inevitable and I doubt many will see it coming when it does happen. What will be interesting is how it will effect the rest of the world in this era of globalization. radicalcentrist

maybe finance, transportation and communications will become so cheap that national boundaries, and therefore states, will be irrelevant anyway.

I have my doubts that states will just whither away.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

BossPerson

you mocking will not change fuvck all.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 surrealnumber5

history is now conspiracy theory...... WTF

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#130 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

GrayF0X786

I agree you have and always will be void of intellect.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

I don't think the US will turn out that bad, even though the current state of the country could be better

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]lol what a fckn tard you areshadowkiller11

I agree you have and always will be void of intellect.

We're gonna see him blowing himself up in a public place some day.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] sticking citizens in concentration camps, what a hero......

surrealnumber5

lincon did a lot of evil in his time and also should not be canonized by people, you will never find me placing a war leader on any high horse. with that said, lincon never imprisoned people based on race, he never created a state aid act and used it to fund his political campaign, and not as the funds were intended, he never burned crops and cattle to drive up prices when people were starving, he never let the country get attacked so he could retool the country for war, all of these things separated lincon and fdr.

He allowed slaver to continue in two states.

Sounds like imprisoning people to me.I can't think of anything more imprisoning than slavery.

Also allowed us to get attacked? Now you're bordering on hart levels of nuttery.