Will Obama and McCain retire together?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Okay, 4 years ago Obama and McCain both competed for the presidency. Since then they have had a cordial relationship, but one marked by disagreements (the latest being the possibility of Amb. Susan Rice becoming Secretary of State). However I noticed that Obama's term as president expires in January 2017 and McCain's term in the Senate expires that same time. Obama is not allowed to try for any more presidential terms, so he will most likely retire from politics when his term ends (unless he tries to run for other political offices such as Congress or Illinois Governor, but usually ex-President's don't do that). Considering that Senators serve 6 year terms and McCain is an old man, I think it's quite possible that he won't run for re-election in 2016 and will probably retire.

So what do you think, will Obama retire from politics four years from now? Will John McCain retire in four years, or will he seek re-election in 2016 and then serve until 2022?

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

They'll retire together, they'll hold hands and they'll make out in front of the cameras.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

They'll retire together and then fly off to their own private island together to spend the rest of their days in each other's tender embrace and indulging the secret passion that they carry for one another. A passion that they cannot act on now because of their positition in the public eye.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

They'll retire together and then fly off to their own private island together to spend the rest of their days in each other's tender embrace and indulging the secret passion that they carry for one another. A passion that they cannot act on now because of their positition in the public eye.

worlock77

What a way to improve on my roughly presented idea! I salute you, kind sir!

Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts

They'll retire together, they'll hold hands and they'll make out in front of the cameras.

LordQuorthon
Then RETIRE to the BEDROOM.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whipassmt

I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.nocoolnamejim
So you mean Obama won't seek anymore political offices, but will try to stay in the public eye, campaign for Democrats and maybe try to wield influence on the Democratic Party?

As for Michelle, you think she'll run for the Senate or something, or maybe try for President (I doubt she'de be elected as President, but she could probably win a Senatorship or Governorship in Illinois).

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whipassmt

worlock77

Well I hear Obama always did have a thing for white guys, you saw the way he kept starring at Romney's behind during the debates.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whipassmt

As far as Biden goes, he'll probably drop out of politics once Obama's term expires or maybe he'll try to run for president (though I don't foresee him winning). So most likely in 2017 Obama and Biden will both be retired.

Paul Ryan on the other hand will probably still be in the House for four more years, and he may eventually run for governor once Walker is done, or maybe Paul Ryan will run for the Senate (perhaps in 2018 he can defeat Baldwin, and maybe in that same year the Republicans will regain the senatorship they lost in Indiana).

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

Massive prediction post:

• Barack retires in 2017, moves to Chicago, gives major addresses at the 2020, 2024, 2028 DNC's.
  • Michelle simply retires with Barack, but doesn't run for any public office after.
  • John McCain retires in 2017, will be replaced by another Republican (but it'll be hotly contested), and he dies by 2025.
  • Joe Biden runs for President for the hell of it, cuz God damnit, he's Joe Biden.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.whipassmt

So you mean Obama won't seek anymore political offices, but will try to stay in the public eye, campaign for Democrats and maybe try to wield influence on the Democratic Party?

As for Michelle, you think she'll run for the Senate or something, or maybe try for President (I doubt she'de be elected as President, but she could probably win a Senatorship or Governorship in Illinois).

Pretty much. I suspect that Obama will also do charity work like Clinton and Bush Sr. have done. I don't think Michelle would go directly for the presidency, but I could see her running for an open Senate seat in a blue state somewhere.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whipassmt

Massive prediction post:

• Barack retires in 2017, moves to Chicago, gives major addresses at the 2020, 2024, 2028 DNC's.
  • Michelle simply retires with Barack, but doesn't run for any public office after.

Maniacc1

Yeah Obama probably will get a big speaking slot at the 2020 DNC, maybe 2024, I'm not so sure about 2028 though, that is 20 years after his election, he may be old news by then. But then again Clinton gave a big address in 2012, which is 20 years after his election.

On the other hand I wonder if minority turn-out will be lower in 2016 if both parties run white candidates? Also will young voters come out in big numbers to support the Democratic candidate in 2016 like they did in 2008 and 2012. It seems unlikely, by 2016 the people who first voted in 2008 may well have outgrown their "Obamania", the youth voters who will first vote in 2016 may see Obama as old and outdated and the youth voters who first voted in 2012 may not show up in 2016 now that their precious won't be running anymore.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]

Massive prediction post:

whipassmt

Yeah Obama probably will get a big speaking slot at the 2020 DNC, maybe 2024, I'm not so sure about 2028 though, that is 20 years after his election, he may be old news by then. But then again Clinton gave a big address in 2012, which is 20 years after his election.

On the other hand I wonder if minority turn-out will be lower in 2016 if both parties run white candidates? Also will young voters come out in big numbers to support the Democratic candidate in 2016 like they did in 2008 and 2012. It seems unlikely, by 2016 the people who first voted in 2008 may well have outgrown their "Obamania", the youth voters who will first vote in 2016 may see Obama as old and outdated and the youth voters who first voted in 2012 may not show up in 2016 now that their precious won't be running anymore.

It's possible that minority and youth voters might vote in lower percentages, but in greater overall numbers. They're growing demographic groups. They could vote less as a percentage of their group, and still have a larger impact on future elections because they will be larger in total size. Typically, the likelihood of voting increases with age, so I have a hard time thinking that voters who first went for Obama in 2008 and then again in 2012 will be LESS likely to vote in 2016 though.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.nocoolnamejim

Pretty much. I suspect that Obama will also do charity work like Clinton and Bush Sr. have done. I don't think Michelle would go directly for the presidency, but I could see her running for an open Senate seat in a blue state somewhere.

Bush Jr. Also does charity work.

Probably if there is any major natural disaster in the U.S. or abroad, Obama and Bush might go on tv (maybe with Clinton too) and raise money at the request of the next President, just like Bush Jr. and Clinton did with the Haiti earthquake and Clinton and Bush Sr. did with Hurricane Katrina and the 2004 Tsunami.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]

Massive prediction post:

nocoolnamejim

It's possible that minority and youth voters might vote in lower percentages, but in greater overall numbers. They're growing demographic groups. They could vote less as a percentage of their group, and still have a larger impact on future elections because they will be larger in total size. Typically, the likelihood of voting increases with age, so I have a hard time thinking that voters who first went for Obama in 2008 and then again in 2012 will be LESS likely to vote in 2016 though.

Maybe, not so much less likely to vote at all, but less likely to vote for the Democrat. It seems in general that people get less liberal as they mature.

As far as minorities growing demographically, I think that is true for Hispanics and Asians, but I think the black percentage of the population is shrinking.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]

Massive prediction post:

whipassmt

It's possible that 'Obamamania' significantly dies within the next 2 or 3 election cycles, most notably among black voters who were highly energized as a result. All of this depends on the legacy that Obama creates for himself as a 2 term president, however. Things go sour, and there's a chance he won't even show up at the 2020 DNC.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whipassmt

Also there are rumors that Obama may appoint John Kerry as Secretary of Defense. If Kerry gets does get the job, then there will probably be a special election in Massachusetts to replace Kerry in the Senate. Who knows, maybe Romney will make a last hurrah and end up getting elected to the Senate, though I think the more likely scenario is that Scott Brown would end up getting elected (would that make him MA's senior senator or junior senator?).

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] Yeah Obama probably will get a big speaking slot at the 2020 DNC, maybe 2024, I'm not so sure about 2028 though, that is 20 years after his election, he may be old news by then. But then again Clinton gave a big address in 2012, which is 20 years after his election.

whipassmt

Maybe, not so much less likely to vote at all, but less likely to vote for the Democrat. It seems in general that people get less liberal as they mature.

As far as minorities growing demographically, I think that is true for Hispanics and Asians, but I think the black percentage of the population is shrinking.

Black percentage of the electorate continues to rise as well. I think you're right that voters tend to be more likely to vote Republican as they get older, but I also think that the young voters of 2008 and 2012 have had their political inclinations shaped pretty firmly by now. The contrast between the Bush Jr. years and Obama was pretty stark in most cases. I don't see their political inclinations changing all that much in four years time.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]

Massive prediction post:

Maniacc1

It's possible that 'Obamamania' significantly dies within the next 2 or 3 election cycles, most notably among black voters who were highly energized as a result. All of this depends on the legacy that Obama creates for himself as a 2 term president, however. Things go sour, and there's a chance he won't even show up at the 2020 DNC.

I think voter turnouts among blacks may decline if the Democrats run a white or hispanic guy in 2016, plus I think the black proportion of the U.S. population is in decline anyway. Also I think Hispanics may turn on the Democratic party if Democrats fail to deliver on Immigration reform (or maybe even if Republicans get in on Immigration Reform along with the Dems).

As for youth voters, I think the ones who first voted in 2008 will probably be a bit more conservative in 2016 (they may very well have careers and families by that time), voters who would first vote in 2016 won't fall for "Obamania" (afterall they would've been like 10 or so when Obama first ran) because Obama will be old news for them. People who first voted in 2012 may still be enamoured of Obama, but they might not turn out to support the next Democratic candidate in 2016 because they'll be bummed that their precious won't be in office anymore.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nocoolnamejim

Also there are rumors that Obama may appoint John Kerry as Secretary of Defense. If Kerry gets does get the job, then there will probably be a special election in Massachusetts to replace Kerry in the Senate. Who knows, maybe Romney will make a last hurrah and end up getting elected to the Senate, though I think the more likely scenario is that Scott Brown would end up getting elected (would that make him MA's senior senator or junior senator?).

whipassmt
It would make him MA's junior senator since Warren would be in office longer, but I think it is very unlikely that Kerry's seat ends up in Republican hands. I'm not sure if Massachusetts is a state where the governor appoints a replacement or if there is a special election, but I have to think that Obama won't risk losing a Senate vote unless he's pretty sure that the replacement will be a reliable Democrat.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] It's possible that minority and youth voters might vote in lower percentages, but in greater overall numbers. They're growing demographic groups. They could vote less as a percentage of their group, and still have a larger impact on future elections because they will be larger in total size. Typically, the likelihood of voting increases with age, so I have a hard time thinking that voters who first went for Obama in 2008 and then again in 2012 will be LESS likely to vote in 2016 though.nocoolnamejim

Black percentage of the electorate continues to rise as well. I think you're right that voters tend to be more likely to vote Republican as they get older, but I also think that the young voters of 2008 and 2012 have had their political inclinations shaped pretty firmly by now. The contrast between the Bush Jr. years and Obama was pretty stark in most cases. I don't see their political inclinations changing all that much in four years time.

Actually I think probably as time goes on Bush will get more popular. To be honest the Bush years, overall, seem better than the Obama years. The economy was decent during the Bush years, but awful during the Obama years. Also Bush pushed immigration reform which may endear him to some Hispanics.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] So you mean Obama won't seek anymore political offices, but will try to stay in the public eye, campaign for Democrats and maybe try to wield influence on the Democratic Party?

whipassmt

Probably if there is any major natural disaster in the U.S. or abroad, Obama and Bush might go on tv (maybe with Clinton too) and raise money at the request of the next President, just like Bush Jr. and Clinton did with the Haiti earthquake and Clinton and Bush Sr. did with Hurricane Katrina and the 2004 Tsunami.

don't forget Jimmy Carter. No ex-president has done more than Carter. Carter among other things has all but erradicated Guinea worm disease(one of the most horrific things you can google image search).

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] Maybe, not so much less likely to vote at all, but less likely to vote for the Democrat. It seems in general that people get less liberal as they mature.

whipassmt

Actually I think probably as time goes on Bush will get more popular. To be honest the Bush years, overall, seem better than the Obama years. The economy was decent during the Bush years, but awful during the Obama years. Also Bush pushed immigration reform which may endear him to some Hispanics.

Bush caused the economic troubles of the Obama years. I know we tend to disagree on just about everything, but the Bush years were a disaster. There's a reason why Clinton was everywhere on the campaign trail with Obama and Republicans didn't even mention Bush once during their convention. They tacitly acknowledge that the electorate loathes him. I know he remains popular among the rank and file Republican voters like yourself, and I agree he did some good things like his funding to fight Aids in Africa and Hispanic outreach (that his party killed...), but until the Republican Party faces up to the fact that Bush era policies are not popular - and probably won't be for at least another generation until people forget - they're going to have trouble with their message.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.nocoolnamejim
I really hope that Obama follows Clinton's example and still be a huge part changing the world after he finishes being president. We need more people like that in the world honestly.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Pretty much. I suspect that Obama will also do charity work like Clinton and Bush Sr. have done. I don't think Michelle would go directly for the presidency, but I could see her running for an open Senate seat in a blue state somewhere.Audacitron

don't forget Jimmy Carter. No ex-president has done more than Carter. Carter among other things has all but erradicated Guinea worm disease(one of the most horrific things you can google image search).

Good point. Carter also got Israel and Egypt to sign a peace treaty that essentially ended the Arab-Israeli wars. I think Carter may be a bit underrated.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Black percentage of the electorate continues to rise as well. I think you're right that voters tend to be more likely to vote Republican as they get older, but I also think that the young voters of 2008 and 2012 have had their political inclinations shaped pretty firmly by now. The contrast between the Bush Jr. years and Obama was pretty stark in most cases. I don't see their political inclinations changing all that much in four years time.nocoolnamejim

Bush caused the economic troubles of the Obama years. I know we tend to disagree on just about everything, but the Bush years were a disaster. There's a reason why Clinton was everywhere on the campaign trail with Obama and Republicans didn't even mention Bush once during their convention. They tacitly acknowledge that the electorate loathes him. I know he remains popular among the rank and file Republican voters like yourself, and I agree he did some good things like his funding to fight Aids in Africa and Hispanic outreach (that his party killed...), but until the Republican Party faces up to the fact that Bush era policies are not popular - and probably won't be for at least another generation until people forget - they're going to have trouble with their message.

1. I'm not a "rank and file Republican voter", I'm actually registered as a Democrat and I have voted for some Democrats for common council back in 2009 (though this year I voted all Republicans from president all the way down to registrar of voters, and I think everyone I voted for lost :lol: ). 2. 15 Democratic Senators also voted against the immigration reform bill in 2007 (conceivably they would've done the same if Obama tried to pass immigration reform, which may be part of the reason why he didn't).

3. Just because the economic decline happened when Bush was president, doesn't mean he caused it. Some of the collapse may be due to non-political factors as well as to policies of previous presidents as well as Congress. Bush did try to regulate the GSEs but Congress wouldn't pass the legislation.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

McCain should've retired a while ago, he's nothing more than a cranky, bitter old man at this point which is sad to watch

I don't know what Obama will do after his second term - probably a much needed vacation then who knows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whipassmt

McCain should've retired a while ago, he's nothing more than a cranky, bitter old man at this point which is sad to watch

I don't know what Obama will do after his second term - probably a much needed vacation then who knows.

-Sun_Tzu-

I don't think he's bitter or cranky. Old yes, but then again senators are supposed to be old. The word senator/senate (senatus) derives from the Latin word "senex" which means "old". A related term is the Latin word "senior" which means "older".

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 whipassmt

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.Serraph105
I really hope that Obama follows Clinton's example and still be a huge part changing the world after he finishes being president. We need more people like that in the world honestly.

Serraph, is that Aragorn/Strider in your avatar? From the part in the Fellowship when he was sitting in the Prancing Pony watching the Hobbits?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Massive prediction post:

• John McCain retires in 2017, will be replaced by another Republican (but it'll be hotly contested), and he dies by 2025.
  • Joe Biden runs for President for the hell of it, cuz God damnit, he's Joe Biden.

Maniacc1

:lol: +1

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

whipassmt

I don't think he's bitter or cranky. Old yes, but then again senators are supposed to be old. The word senator/senate (senatus) derives from the Latin word "senex" which means "old". A related term is the Latin word "senior" which means "older".

No, he really has become bitter and cranky. 2000 McCain never acted the way he behaves now.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

-Sun_Tzu-

No, he really has become bitter and cranky. 2000 McCain never acted the way he behaves now.

really? He doesn't seem cranky to me. Maybe his old wounds from Vietnam are aching more as he gets older.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I suspect that Obama will follow Clinton's example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle Obama follow Hillary's. I hope McCain retires, and whether or not he does or not will probably depend on the likelihood of another Republican being elected to hold his seat.whipassmt

Serraph, is that Aragorn/Strider in your avatar? From the part in the Fellowship when he was sitting in the Prancing Pony watching the Hobbits?

yup, looking forward to The Hobbit.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"] I really hope that Obama follows Clinton's example and still be a huge part changing the world after he finishes being president. We need more people like that in the world honestly.Serraph105

yup, looking forward to The Hobbit.

oh yeah! that'll be fun. I had realized that your avy resembled Aragorn for a while, but then it hit me what exact scene that was from (perhaps I realized that last New Year's Eve when I watched the Fellowship tape, which is the only LOTR movie I have on VHS, though I have the extended editions for the whole trilogy as well as the theatrical versions of ROTK and Two Towers on DVD). Hopefully I'll be able to tell all the Dwarves apart (well Bombur will be easy since he's fat).