Will Africa, south/southeast Asia, and the Middle East be a lot better by 2050?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Do you think these regions will have raised their living standards, raised their wages, and lowered their rates of political corruption by mid-century? Or will they still be relatively unpleasant places to live? 

I think India will pull through in improving itself. With a population that will surpass China's by 2030, it better. Technological advances are making gains from what I've heard. Pakistan and Bangladesh will need to cool it on birth rates since both are already very dense. But Bangladeshi people have lots of kids for cultural reasons, so I don't know how they're gonna deal with their out of control population growth rate...Maybe emigration to other countries. That's what many men do in that country; they go out to the US or the UK to a good college and get a good career and then use the money to support their families back home. 

I think Thailand has the biggest shot at improvement. It has  large expatriate communities that could possibly aid in its economic development. 

As for Africa, sub-Saharan countries have a long way to go. They would have to overthrow their corrupt governments, set up an economic system that benefits them most, acquire clean drinking water and adequate amounts of food, crack down on AIDS and malaria, and vastly improve their education systems. Borders need to be redrawn so historically oppressed ethnic and religious groups aren't living in the same country, but then again, said groups could just be invaded. Europeans drew the borders of African countries during colonialism based on oil and other resources without thinking about ethnic and religious tensions. Africa will need the help of the outside world for mass improvement.

As for the Middle East, I'm afraid that their tendency to stay living in 700 AD won't be going away anytime soon. Women have no human rights in these countries and it looks like the men in power and in public mostly want to keep it that way. Women can't even drive in Saudi Arabia. Pretty sad. I think it's safe to say that these guys take their religion more to the extreme than any bible thumper in the good 'ole South. Human rights have a long road in this part of the world. 

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Well I doubt it could get worse.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Unfortunately there's very little chance of Africa ridden itself of the AIDS epidemic thanks to pharmaceutical companies and the United States refusing to allow developing nations to import life-saving generic drugs to the continent. Once again, the fate of the Third World is basically controlled by the first world http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/23/fire_in_the_blood_millions_die

SilentFireX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SilentFireX
Member since 2005 • 1956 Posts

Unfortunately there's very little chance of Africa ridden itself of the AIDS epidemic thanks to pharmaceutical companies and the United States refusing to allow developing nations to import life-saving generic drugs to the continent. Once again, the fate of the Third World is basically controlled by the first world http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/23/fire_in_the_blood_millions_die

thebest31406
Yes. The reason Africa is so screwed up is clearly because of a collaborative conspiracy effort by the U.S. government and pharmaceutical companies. You hit the nail on the head, mi amigo.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Without a doubt yes
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Well I doubt it could get worse. chaplainDMK
It could be alot worse
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts
[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]Well I doubt it could get worse. themajormayor
It could be alot worse

How?
SilentFireX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SilentFireX
Member since 2005 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]Well I doubt it could get worse. sexyweapons
It could be alot worse

How?

Africa could become infected with the debilitating epidemic known colloquially as MLP.  :P

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

It is in the interest of developed countries to keep poor countries poor for trade reasons, so I think they will stay about the same.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Africa and much of the middle east I wouldn't be surprised if they never got out of the stone age.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178835 Posts
No
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tenaka2

Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.KC_Hokie

Most of Africa is christian you crazy oath breaker.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.tenaka2

Ahh...nope look at a religious map.

Muslim_Distribution_map.jpg

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.KC_Hokie
it can disappear as easily and as fast as it materialized
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.BossPerson

Exactly my point.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BossPerson

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.KC_Hokie

Muslim_Distribution_map.jpg

half of nigeria and most of ethiopia are christian. The vast majority of Kenya as well. As well as for much of the "south-western" part of north africa
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

thebest31406
[QUOTE="thebest31406"]

SilentFireX
Yes. The reason Africa is so screwed up is clearly because of a collaborative conspiracy effort by the U.S. government and pharmaceutical companies. You hit the nail on the head, mi amigo.

I was speaking specifically about the aids issue in Africa and yes, the blockade on life saving drugs to the region is due to the block by the pharmaceutical companies. That's no theory; that's documented.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

BossPerson

half of nigeria and most of ethiopia are christian. The vast majority of Kenya as well. As well as for much of the "south-western" part of north africa

Africa is 45% Muslim, 40% Christian, 15% other.

Muslim_world_map.png

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pirate700

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Ahh...nope look at a religious map.

KC_Hokie

Muslim_world_map.png

Huh, didn't know Russia had that many Muslims.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tenaka2

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.BossPerson

Radical Islam doesn't exist, its just like global warming, people are becoming more radical as time goes by but it has nothing to do with religion. The world has historically gone through periods were people become more or less radical.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]half of nigeria and most of ethiopia are christian. The vast majority of Kenya as well. As well as for much of the "south-western" part of north africaPirate700

Muslim_world_map.png

They share large borders with Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, etc.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Nope. Don't see radical Islam disappearing within 37 years. It's in far too many countries now.tenaka2

Radical Islam doesn't exist, its just like global warming, people are becoming more radical as time goes by but it has nothing to do with religion. The world has historically gone through periods were people become more or less radical.

I guess war and poverty don't exist either.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]it can disappear as easily and as fast as it materialized KC_Hokie

nope both a liberal conspiracies to get more of your tax,

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] Africa is 45% Muslim, 40% Christian, 15% other.

Muslim_world_map.png

KC_Hokie

Still wouldn't think it would be that high. The more you know, I guess. :P

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

I would love for you to explain how radical Islam will disappear especially when countries like Saudi Arabia, Oman and Iran are theocracies.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Huh, didn't know Russia had that many Muslims.

Pirate700

Still wouldn't think it would be that high. The more you know, I guess. :P

Yea...it's about 10%. And guess where Russia's biggest problem is...Chechnya! Muslim extremists that have been fighting for decades.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I guess war and poverty don't exist either.KC_Hokie

I would love for you to explain how radical Islam will disappear especially when countries like Saudi Arabia, Oman and Iran are theocracies.

Hokie I was taking the piss about your denial of global warming... I even mentioned grobal warming in the post... dude! 

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Hokie I was taking the piss about your denial of global warming... I even mentioned grobal warming in the post... dude! 

Not sure what that has to do with this topic. Radical Islam has been going on for decades. The Nigerian Sharia conflict, for example, started in 1953. Islamic insurgency in Philippines started in 1969. Islamic insurgency in Kashmir has been going on since 1989. Al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen since 1992.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

I think you're over generalizing a bit, especially in the middle east.  These regions are more diverse than you give them credit for.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KC_Hokie

I think you're over generalizing a bit, especially in the middle east.  These regions are more diverse than you give them credit for.

jim_shorts
They're becoming less diverse because of the Arab 'spring'.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Pirate700

The areas around Chechnya are predominately Muslim. 

Also, in regards to the topic....I have doubts about the situation getting significantly better. Many of these countries lack stable governments willing to care about their people. 

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BossPerson
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

KC_Hokie

explain
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

BossPerson

explain

Groups like the Muslim brotherhood have taken over with increase in radical Islam.

Christians and other religious groups have fled Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria, and prior to that Iraq.

Kurdish conflict has been heightened as well as Sunni vs. Shia conflict.

Other than that going great in the diverse middle east! /sarcasm

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Ahh...nope look at a religious map.

KC_Hokie

Muslim_world_map.png

I had no idea there are so many muslims in France and eastern European countries.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They're becoming less diverse because of the Arab 'spring'. KC_Hokie

explain

Groups like the Muslim brotherhood have taken over with increase in radical Islam.

Christians and other religious groups have fled Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria, and prior to that Iraq.

Muslim brotherhood has been influential for a loooooong time. Regarding Sunni vs Shia conflict, ever heart of the battle of Chaldiran? Goes back a lot longer.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They're becoming less diverse because of the Arab 'spring'. KC_Hokie

explain

that doesnt equal the loss of diversity, it could in the future. But yea, there's a lot of conflicts that are yet to climax
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]half of nigeria and most of ethiopia are christian. The vast majority of Kenya as well. As well as for much of the "south-western" part of north africacall_of_duty_10

Muslim_world_map.png

I had no idea there are so many muslims in France and eastern European countries.

France has a lot because of their former colonies being in a lot of Muslim countries while the Balkans have had a lot of Muslims since the Ottoman's ruled that area (1300s- 1920s).

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]explainBossPerson

that doesnt equal the loss of diversity, it could in the future. But yea, there's a lot of conflicts that are yet to climax

Of course there is less diversity. Less than there was 10 years ago in those countries.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BossPerson
The only loss thats significant in the past 10 years are Iraqi Christians leaving Iraq. Other than that, people move to different cities and neighbourhoods, most dont have the ability to leave the country, especially not on a scale which would render the region less diverse on any level worth counting.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KC_Hokie

The only loss thats significant in the past 10 years are Iraqi Christians leaving Iraq. Other than that, people move to different cities and neighbourhoods, most dont have the ability to leave the country, especially not on a scale which would render the region less diverse on any level worth counting. BossPerson
Yea..Christians are basically out of Iraq. But since the arab 'spring' they're out of Tunisia, Libya, fleeing Egypt and Syria.

The entire area is becoming less diverse and more sectarian. Kurds are more unified than ever while the Sunni and Shia rivalry is in full conflict using Syria as a proxy war.

Again, other than that all goes well in the diverse middle east.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I had no idea there are so many muslims in France and eastern European countries.call_of_duty_10
Several Arab/African countries were once French colonies. Large numbers of Muslims have immigrated to France since colonization ended.

As for Eastern European, those regions were heavily influenced by the Ottoman Empire. I have several friends from Bosnia and Albania and was amazed when I found out they were Muslim. 

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BossPerson

frankly if christians wanted to ride on the backs of dictators to guarantee their safety, perhaps leaving is the best decision for them.

of course i dont want them to leave, and Id wish that all these new governments would be secular governments that respect minorities, but like I said if they want to leave now just because there is a democracy in place (which comes with a million risks) than I really have no issue with that. I'd prefer they leave than to undermine democratic transitions. They can come back if they like once all the dirty work of establishing a real democracy is finished. 

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KC_Hokie

frankly if christians wanted to ride on the backs of dictators to guarantee their safety, perhaps leaving is the best decision for them.

of course i dont want them to leave, and Id wish that all these new governments would be secular governments that respect minorities, but like I said if they want to leave now just because there is a democracy in place (which comes with a million risks) than I really have no issue with that. I'd prefer they leave than to undermine democratic transitions. They can come back if they like once all the dirty work of establishing a real democracy is finished. 

BossPerson
They didn't WANT to leave. They were targeted after radical Islamists took over. Jihadists and other muslim groups, such as the muslim brotherhood, don't exactly encourage diversity when they cut off your limbs, possibly your head, rape your women.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BossPerson
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

KC_Hokie
They didn't WANT to leave. They were targeted after radical Islamists took over. Jihadists and other muslim groups, such as the muslim brotherhood, don't exactly encourage diversity when they cut off your limbs, possibly your head, rape your women.

lol where has this been happening?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]

BossPerson

Christians have been beheaded, raped, etc. in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria. And they're getting the hell out of those places too.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BossPerson
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] They didn't WANT to leave. They were targeted after radical Islamists took over. Jihadists and other muslim groups, such as the muslim brotherhood, don't exactly encourage diversity when they cut off your limbs, possibly your head, rape your women.

Christians have been beheaded, raped, etc. in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria. And they're getting the hell out of those places too.

cite some news stories.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BossPerson

yes i know hokie, its pretty hard to find those articles. 

try looking in the aether 

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Asia, almost certainly, by leaps and bounds. Middle East, probably economically. Africa, well, I don't know.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]lol where has this been happening? BossPerson

cite some news stories.

Syria rebels 'beheaded a Christian and fed him to the dogs' as fears grow over Islamist atrocities

Egypts Christian Winter

Man Beheaded by Tunisian Muslims for Converting to Christianity

Tunisia and the Clash Within Civilizations

Syria: Christians fleeing country as crisis reaches "unprecedented levels of horror" 

Amid Instability In Egypt, Coptic Christians Flee To U.S.

Armenia tries to help as Christian Armenians flee Syria

Syrian and Coptic Christians fleeing to Moscow, but Russia lacks shelters

Coptic Christians Fleeing Egypt as Islamic Extremism Rises

Egypt's Coptic Christians fleeing country after Islamist takeover

Muslim Brotherhood and the killing and persecution of Christians in Egypt

Muslims behead Christian convert in Tunisia

Two Christians killed in Libya bomb blast

Christians targeted in Iraq attacks

A powerful bomb devastated a Christian neighborhood of this capital city of Lebanon