Why the "War on Christmas" gets it wrong...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

One Christian mom's view.

Story

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

is it because there is no war on christmas?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I read 'Sarah Palin' in the article and stopped.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I find it funny that a majority thinks "their holiday" is being attacked.

Too bad Christmas is already all about material celebration, feasting and partying. Only the fairly religious actually consider any actual religious value to the holiday. To most it is a time of family and celebration of the end of the year.

I also find it funny how many Christians attribute religious value to images that were originally pagan and in direct opposition to Christian thought/dogma. The tree especially. My GF's mother has some very interesting beliefs about how it fits into the Jesus Christmas story... despite it being an object of worship for pagans long before Jesus even came along.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

1/12 of the entire year is dedicated to this one holiday.. yeah, christmas is doing just fine....

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

Why so guys even care about Christmas? Xmas is a holiday for women and children. Adults being pressured into spending large sums of money in kids. Men being pressured into spending large sums of money on women. Unless you like throwing away money why would a dude even care about this?

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

Christmas will be celebrated by roughly 3 billion people around the world this year, it's doing just fine.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Christmas is what you make of it. OT is just full of woeful people

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

October and November: "It's crazy how stores are putting Christmas things up for sale earlier and earlier every year"
December: "There's not enough Christmas!!"

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

First off, Historians have looked into it, and Christ probably wasn't born on December 25.

Secondly, "Christmas" was created as a means to appease the Pagans who celebrated the winter solstice on December 21st.

And Finally, there was no "War on Christmas" when Santa originally was introduced; It wasn't until other religions wanted to have public displays, rather than ONLY having the Biblical Nativity Scene.

For those who think "TL:DR"
Christians do not own Christmas, and they're ignorant for believing Christ was born then.

Christians stole the season from the Pagans.

Christians aren't mad about Santa(and the commercialization of the season), they're mad about seeing Jewish Menorahs and Festive poles.

Maybe next year I'll petition to put up a Pasta Tree.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

@Nibroc420 said:

First off, Historians have looked into it, and Christ probably wasn't born on December 25.

Secondly, "Christmas" was created as a means to appease the Pagans who celebrated the winter solstice on December 21st.

And Finally, there was no "War on Christmas" when Santa originally was introduced; It wasn't until other religions wanted to have public displays, rather than ONLY having the Biblical Nativity Scene.

Christians do not own Christmas, and they're ignorant for believing Christ was born then.

Christians aren't mad about Santa(and the commercialization of the season), they're mad about seeing Jewish Menorahs and Festive poles.

It's all just crap ginned up by Bill O'reily, Megan Kelly, and the rest of the fair and balanced Fox News team

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

It's all just crap ginned up by Bill O'reily, Megan Kelly, and the rest of the fair and balanced Fox News team

it's entertaining as hell though. so i say we need more war on christmas! and we need to get a war on easter going too.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

"War on Christmas", man that phrase sounds so dumb.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

@comp_atkins said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

it's entertaining as hell though. so i say we need more war on christmas! and we need to get a war on easter going too.

Well it's great when the Good Christians assault people over this crap. Very loving and tolerant

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nibroc420

Who wouldn't want this on their tree?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

@Nibroc420 said:

people with taste, and/or the ability to see

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nibroc420

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Well now,

Seems you've declared war on Christmas sir.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lostrib

@Nibroc420 said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Well now,

Seems you've declared war on Christmas sir.

I totally would, it would be the biggest, most awesome snowball fight ever

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

"Instead of getting swept up in a whirlwind of banal "holiday" parties, useless gift exchanges and harried shopping, my family tries hard to use the weeks of Advent to prepare our hearts and home in meaningful ways for the Prince of Peace."

Sounds like a riot.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Too bad Christmas is already all about material celebration, feasting and partying. Only the fairly religious actually consider any actual religious value to the holiday. To most it is a time of family and celebration of the end of the year.

I also find it funny how many Christians attribute religious value to images that were originally pagan and in direct opposition to Christian thought/dogma. The tree especially. My GF's mother has some very interesting beliefs about how it fits into the Jesus Christmas story... despite it being an object of worship for pagans long before Jesus even came along.

I want to know!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

While she finds consumerism to ruin what Christmas should be about, it's part of that aspect that plays into the secular place of Christmas for non-Christians. While the "Happy Holidays" angle used to be the old secular stance on the Christmas season mainly aimed to be sensible to other peoples religious beliefs (which I find to be dying), I don't see why Christmas has to be entirely dominated by Christians. Saying "Merry Christmas" shouldn't be the saying of just Christians during the holiday seasons, it should be embraced as it's become a secular holiday. Christmas has roots in Christianity but non-Christian traditions also have a place in how Christmas came to be and their still practiced today in the secular realm. It is a holiday that's not entirely owned by Christians because some of the most appealing aspects of the tradition don't have anything to do with Christianity and anybody can partake in them - the gift giving and spending time with family and friends, and the food and festivities. Christians can have their Christmas traditions, they can carol the religious holiday songs, but those that want to celebrate it in the secular realm can also participate how they see fit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL hardcore religious types

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

That is absurd in nearly every manner. Christmas is a religious holiday just like Hanukkah.

Christmas (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ[6][7] and a widely observed cultural holiday, celebrated generally on December 25[3][4][5] by billions of people around the world.[2][8] A feast central to the Christianliturgical year, it closes the Advent season and initiates the twelve days of Christmastide, which ends after the twelfth night.[9] Christmas is a civil holiday in many of the world's nations,[10][11][12] is celebrated by an increasing number of non-Christians,[1][13][14] and is an integral part of the Christmas and holiday season.

Rather people believe in god or not is besides the point. The point is, without Christian's, there is no Christmas. That's a fact. For you to claim otherwise is ridiculous.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Diablo-B said:

Why so guys even care about Christmas? Xmas is a holiday for women and children. Adults being pressured into spending large sums of money in kids. Men being pressured into spending large sums of money on women. Unless you like throwing away money why would a dude even care about this?

Maybe because some people dont quantify significant occasions in the passage of life by the amount of money they spend. Christmas isnt a religious celebration in my house but its a chance to eat too much food, see family we never quite see often enough and exchange thoughtful and sometimes extravagant gifts as and when we can afford to do so. I dont think its a gender thing, its about building your own life with your own traditions and as a young guy with a young family im absolutely loving christmas in ways I never thought I would. Its a celebration at the end of the day. Life's too short not to enjoy it.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Some people are just whiney with a persecution complex.

Ignore them.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@plageus900 said:

I read 'Sarah Palin' in the article and stopped.

See now I know I need to read this.......for the lulz naturally

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Actually aside from the politically charged crap at the beginning (and a bit at the end) it actually made some decent points. Yep.

Edit. All that being said though as another person above mentioned, there is no real war on Christmas. Yes some companies play it safe by having their employees say happy holidays, which I believe Republicans claim to believe corporations have every right to do, and the government can choose to exercise their claim to a separation of church and state (again republicans say they want this for most things). But this belief that there is an actual push to make Christmas obsolete, and the anger that ensues when other people don't embrace your holiday is silly and ridiculous.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

This War on Christmas needs a face that represents each side.

Who is the leader of the Christmas side? Santa or Jesus?

What about the leader of the warring side? Satan, Darwin, Buddha, or a monkey?

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Xmas???

THIS

IS

CHRISTMAS

!

!

!

!

!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

When you say Happy Holidays, Christians get mad. How are we supposed to know they are Christians and celebrate Christmas? Saying Happy Holidays is a general way of saying to enjoy whatever you celebrate. People just need to stop being self-entitled pricks.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

didn't read article .... but blame on Bigotry among staunch atheist who try to ruin xmas ............ no difference with al-qaeda who bomb church in pakistan few years ago

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Christmas has already become a secular holiday. Seriously, how many people actually go to church on Christmas eve or have a nativity scene in their yard?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Christians can keep their Christian traditions of.... well, the birth of baby jesus.

Meanwhile us secularists can celebrate Saturnalia, decorate trees, santa claus, gift giving and receiving, being with loved ones and stuffing our heads full of delicious food.
Everything that's actually fun about christmas has nothing to do with christianity. If we'd only celebrate the christian part, it wouldn't be a popular festivity at all.
You can have your boring Christmas Christians ;-)