Why some of you hate STAR WARS Rouge One But Prefer Force Awakens?

• 61 results
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Force Awakens while well done , script was like copy paste from OG with new Characters. Whereas Rougue One was something new.Story before A New Hope. Story was more Dark, Gritty also Tragic.

I'm curious to know as i noticed in my Movie Thread some of you hate Rouge One with a passion.Is it for the new cast? Or Story?

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

For me, Rogue One was the realization that Star Wars without the force is a bit boring and less... enchanting or less Star Wars, if that makes sense. I think the best scene, by far, was watching Vader at the end. It was a good movie, but not great for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I'm the opposite, I thought that the Force Awakens was a great movie, but even though I really liked Rogue One and thought it was very good, it wasn't as good as the Force Awakens. Remember, the Force Awakens was one of the most critically aclaimed Star Wars films of all time, Rogue One wasn't.

Also, while it is true that the Force Awakens shares many similarities between a New Hope, I feel like they did enough to make it different. With the Force Awakens, people either loved it or hated it. Being a Star Wars fan for over 25 years, I loved it. Remember, most Star Wars stories are generally the same: there is some ultra powerful evil group that rises up i.e. The Sith, The Galactic Empire, the First Order, and a group of rag tag heroes teams up to blow up their super weapon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Star wars is boring

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I enjoyed Rogue One but I liked The Force Awakens a lot more. Mostly because I'm more interested in the whole Skywalker saga and the Light/Dark side of the Force.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I really like Rogue One, but it is an odd film. I feel like the pacing is a little whacky, you go from getting introduced to these characters to some really forgettable exposition to a manic conclusion. Meanwhile, they spend so much time on Krennic's little career moves, and less on what are some really interesting characters. TFA, at least, knew which characters were driving the story, why, and spent most of its time developing them. I also have some nitpicks about the way it handles some of the lore, and Jimmy Smits being in there reminded me that the prequels happened (WHY?), but other than that I find it really enjoyable.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Rogue One was a good movie. But it wasn't "Star Wars" for me. It's missing the charm of the series, and this whatever special intangible Star Wars has. I imagine it will be the same for all the spin-offs.

Star Wars will always be about the light and the dark, the Jedi vs the Sith.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

I personally liked Rouge One a lot (even more than TFA) but I get why others didn't. There were undeniable weaknesses to the characters and story. The main cast was not immediately likable the way TFA's characters were, and there were too many of them and not enough time for them to really grow. The only one with a real backstory is Jyn, and even her life is glossed over and her personality can only be described as defiant... sometimes. Plus the plot has some pacing issues, and the whole section where they go to rescue/kill Jyn's father is completely inconsequential.

That said, I personally think these things make the movie better. This was not about a team of super-humans jumping in to save the day. This was a ragtag band of misfits who happened to be in the right place at the right time and decided to do the right thing. Each of them play their small part in getting the Death Star plans one step closer to the Rebels before being picked off. The forgotten heroes who paved the way for legends to become legends.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I thought Rogue One was much better than the Force Awakens. Much better.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I loved them both however I enjoyed The Force Awakens slightly more.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Rogue One had a neat concept, but it failed to deliver on most levels.

The biggest problem was the characters. They're terrible. I don't know whether they were created by a faceless board of directors or just the result of numerous re-shoots, but...there's just nothing there to root for. Jyn is barely a character - she's a plot device with wildly inconsistent motives. The scoundrel had a weak character arc, the robot comic relief was barely present, the villain was a bureaucrat who never came across as menacing, and the Jedi-but-not-actually-a-Jedi was a shameless grab for the Chinese box office.

Beyond that, the story...didn't really go anywhere. There weren't really any daring escapades or clever spy-work - they did the bare minimum to get the plans. The story with the father was pointless (it didn't even trigger Jyn's redemptive arc...it was just there). Then, ultimately, it all ends up at A New Hope, with nothing meaningful learned and no beloved characters lost.

It gets a solid "meh". Good aesthetics, but that's about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Fanboys spent the last 15+ years complaining that the prequels weren't "like the great OT" so Disney gave them A New Hope 2.0 and they ate that shit up.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I think both were rather good.

But I think the reason why some prefer one over the other is whether they prefer the whole Jedi versus Sith ( light VS Dark) aspect that is within the core of the Star Wars movies. Or if it's about the ordinary men and women who have little to no connection to the force and who are simply fighting outside of the usual spotlight.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Because I like light sabbers? And don't like the uncanny valley of Rogue Ones CGI humans?

I thought both are about average.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I wanna see this 'Rouge' One you're all on about. Sounds...red...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 indzman

@goodzorr said:

I wanna see this 'Rouge' One you're all on about. Sounds...red...

See it man :)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Both crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

Well to start, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega have 1000% more charisma than Felicity Jones and Diego Luna.

And umm....I don't remember anything else about Rogue One except that everyone dies. But that doesn't even matter since all the characters were boring as ****.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 indzman

@stormcast said:

Well to start, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega have 1000% more charisma than Felicity Jones and Diego Luna.

Daisy Ridley Yup. John Boyega Charismatic? LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman

@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

He was a cartoon ( But yeah, He was really funny ). Rey, Ren, Phasma, Luke, Hans, Leia were Charismatic.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Really? I like both, but I prefer Rogue One. And honestly, I see way more hate for Force Awakens than I do Rogue One.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58294 Posts

@indzman said:

Force Awakens while well done , script was like copy paste from OG with new Characters. Whereas Rougue One was something new.Story before A New Hope. Story was more Dark, Gritty also Tragic.

I'm curious to know as i noticed in my Movie Thread some of you hate Rouge One with a passion.Is it for the new cast? Or Story?

I like both movies, but Empire (of the original three) is by far the more dark and gritty of the movies.

Episode IV acted more like a fairy tale, introducing our gallant heroes and had a happy ending.

Episode V is where things got dark, you found out the hero isn't perfect, and it ended with a foreboding cliffhanger

and Episode VI is...well...Episode VI is what happens when you let Lucas have most of the control.

Critics and [most] viewers believe that Empire is the best of the original three, and for good reason. It's also the one film Lucas had the least to do with :P

As for the new movies, I prefer to view them as their own; there are going to be the three main movies, Episodes VII, VIII and IX; and then there are going to be the spin-offs, Rogue One, Solo, and so on. Leave them at that, comparing the grand, sweeping saga of Skywalker and his allies and enemies to significant but unrelated (as far as characters go) events is just trying too hard lol. Relax and enjoy.

Concerning the originality of Episode VII relative to Episode IV, I think it was intentional and in hindsight the right thing to do. Each installment of three movies (Episode IV, Episode I, and now Episode VII) seems to try and get a new generation of viewer involved, but Episode VII also tried to kickstart old fans' interest by making it seem familiar. Big evil army, superweapon, underdogs...all familiar, but it was original enough to be enjoyable. I think Episode VIII is going to go a similar route as Empire, a much darker tone, morally grey areas, and so on.

I just hope Episode IX isn't corny like Episode VI is; as much as I love Return of the Jedi, it just feels a little out of place.

Ugh, I cannot not talk a lot about Star Wars. I should have been a Star Wars scholar, then I'd find meaning in my life.

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

He was a cartoon ( But yeah, He was really funny ). Rey, Ren, Phasma, Luke, Hans, Leia were Charismatic.

Haha yeah, definitely the comedic relief. TBH I was not too sure about Finn and Poe's "bromance" at first, but I think it ended up being pretty good. I like John Boyega, and I enjoyed his character. There really was not a single person I did not enjoy in Episode VII.

Have you seen Attack the Block? Really awesome sci-fi flick with John Boyega, plays a wannabe gangster in London ghetto and, well, there is an "invasion" of some kind. He is very charismatic in that movie :D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 indzman

@mrbojangles25 said:
@indzman said:

I like both movies, but Empire (of the original three) is by far the more dark and gritty of the movies.

Episode IV acted more like a fairy tale, introducing our gallant heroes and had a happy ending.

Episode V is where things got dark, you found out the hero isn't perfect, and it ended with a foreboding cliffhanger

and Episode VI is...well...Episode VI is what happens when you let Lucas have most of the control.

Critics and [most] viewers believe that Empire is the best of the original three, and for good reason. It's also the one film Lucas had the least to do with :P

As for the new movies, I prefer to view them as their own; there are going to be the three main movies, Episodes VII, VIII and IX; and then there are going to be the spin-offs, Rogue One, Solo, and so on. Leave them at that, comparing the grand, sweeping saga of Skywalker and his allies and enemies to significant but unrelated (as far as characters go) events is just trying too hard lol. Relax and enjoy.

Concerning the originality of Episode VII relative to Episode IV, I think it was intentional and in hindsight the right thing to do. Each installment of three movies (Episode IV, Episode I, and now Episode VII) seems to try and get a new generation of viewer involved, but Episode VII also tried to kickstart old fans' interest by making it seem familiar. Big evil army, superweapon, underdogs...all familiar, but it was original enough to be enjoyable. I think Episode VIII is going to go a similar route as Empire, a much darker tone, morally grey areas, and so on.

I just hope Episode IX isn't corny like Episode VI is; as much as I love Return of the Jedi, it just feels a little out of place.

Ugh, I cannot not talk a lot about Star Wars. I should have been a Star Wars scholar, then I'd find meaning in my life.

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

Haha yeah, definitely the comedic relief. TBH I was not too sure about Finn and Poe's "bromance" at first, but I think it ended up being pretty good. I like John Boyega, and I enjoyed his character. There really was not a single person I did not enjoy in Episode VII.

Have you seen Attack the Block? Really awesome sci-fi flick with John Boyega, plays a wannabe gangster in London ghetto and, well, there is an "invasion" of some kind. He is very charismatic in that movie :D

Just checked out the video in your link, looks pretty funny and full of alien action. will check it out M :)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10430 Posts

both brilliant films.

the darker, grittier less supernatural tone of rogue one was a nice switch in atmosphere from the more family themed force awakens and worked well to show the part that people not directly central to the jedi line contributed to the rebellion. the way the start of episode iv seamlessly follows on from the end of rogue one was sublimely done.

and that darth vader scene at the end was just goose-bumpingly phenomenal

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

@Macutchi said:

scene at the end was just goose-bumpingly phenomenal

He using attacks from Jedi Knight.

OT

Force Awakens was competent, but didn't diverge enough from the originals. Soft reboot, not very interesting.

Rogue One reminded me of the Seven Samurai, but nowhere (like not even close) near as good. It was more original though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

He was a cartoon ( But yeah, He was really funny ). Rey, Ren, Phasma,Luke, Hans, Leia were Charismatic.

what

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I liked them both. Force Awakens a little more. Though, Rogue One had good characters. Too bad we won't be seeing them again...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

In the movie.

He was a cartoon ( But yeah, He was really funny ). Rey, Ren, Phasma,Luke, Hans, Leia were Charismatic.

what

Who can say Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) is not charismatic in her own way? :P She will've a crucial role in The Last Jedi lol

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I liked Rogue One. I hated Force Awakens, what a bore!

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

Force Awakens is a fun action adventure movie with good characters and a well realized throughline. It's greatest flaw is that it's a reboot in sequel clothing, but it does a lot to recapture the excitement of the original trilogy.

Rogue One is a gritty downer war film with 0 levity or heart, but still having the inherent goofiness of Star Wars. It's characters are sterile and one-dimensional and the story isn't interesting. Were people actually dying to see how they got the Death Star plans?

It's the first Star Wars I was legitimately bored by. Like, with the prequels, they're almost reaching so-bad-it's-good or at least bad-in-a-memorable-way. Rogue One's only memorable feature is that it's the only Star Wars film I couldn't care less about now that I'm done watching it.

miyokolive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By miyokolive
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I like STAR WARS Rouge One more

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Both were fantastic in there own ways. I'll be watching them over and over again just like the originals.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 indzman

@vfighter said:

Both were fantastic in there own ways. I'll be watching them over and over again just like the originals.

Indz marks this as the best answer in this thread xD

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@vfighter said:

This would be a good time to do so now as The Last Jedi is about to come out weeks from now.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@korvus said:

Fanboys spent the last 15+ years complaining that the prequels weren't "like the great OT" so Disney gave them A New Hope 2.0 and they ate that shit up.

Ha, pretty much. Rogue One is probably my all time favorite SW film. TFA was also great but it was formulaic as all hell so no points for originality.

-Byshop

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I like both movies, but prefer The Force Awakens. I have two main problems with Rogue One, first off a few of the main characters just aren't well developed, and because of this I hardly remember their names. My second issue is that due to it's more gritty and tragic story (which is well portrayed and well told) it's also less fun to watch. Sure the part with Vader at the end is brick-shittingly epic, but the rest is a very well told tragedy and that makes the likelihood of me rewatching it be drastically reduced.

When the question becomes, "Do you want to see Jyn, Cassidy, and.....others? Go through a bunch of trials and tribulations only to die at the end, or do you want to watch Rey and Finn escape in the Millennium Falcon only to run into Han Solo and Princess Leia?" I'm going to aknowledge both are good movies and then choose The Force Awakens at least 98% of the time.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Problems with Rogue One:

-Introduces a dozen new characters. I didn’t learn any of their names or backstories. Then they die.

-The first half of the entire movie could have been taken out because nothing happened in it. It was a waste of time and boring.

Those are huge flaws for me on re-watches. Despite re-watching the movie several times, I only know Jyn’s name. First half sucks and kills it overal.

TFA WINS!

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Neither.

Prequels FTW!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Neither.

Prequels FTW!

Even Episode 2?=O

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Because the retcon doesn't make any sense. While I agree it's a better movie if examined outside of the series, it sucks as prequel to the series. It would have been better if the main characters all lived and continued to run black ops against the empire and that makes their anonymity in the original trilogy makes sense. If they died and effectively becomes martyrs for the rebellions, it just doesn't make any sense why there's not ANY mention or depiction of them in the OT.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I enjoyed Rogue One quite a bit, but I thought most of the Force Awakens was stronger in general, characters specifically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Both were bad. TFA was just a Political correctness remake of Episode 4 with an angry female protagonist whom had no weakness.

The main problem that all Disney Star Wars material is that they suck at making a good protagonist.(Rebels had that Aladin kid,TFA had Rey and R1 had Jyn Erso. All of them were uninteresting and boring)

@korvus said:

Only Internet nerds hated the prequels.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

New doesn't mean good.

Rogue one did like everything wrong.

Force awakens did most things right.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Rogue One was a much better movie.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah I found Force Awakens to be quite mediocre to bad.

Rogue One felt far more in line with what made the original trilogy so engaging. There is more tangeability and realism to the settings and technology. The characters, while not perfect, also felt a lot more real than those present in TFA.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

I was 10 years old upon release of the original one and so glad on of two parents was willing to bring me to see it a couple times. I tried watching sequels much after their release and the magic just wasn't there.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dorog1995: Only internet nerds hated the prequels? Bwahahahaha, oh dear God I do enjoy a good laugh.