Why people like the sub than the dub?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 143C5
Member since 2009 • 306 Posts

Ok, I'm talking about the anime and video games. Most people like the sub better because they "better" voices. But it's pretty annoying however. I wan't to know why? I don't actually this get it. (not trolling)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Because IMO, everything should be spoken in the original language with subs, if needed. but there are other reasons, and these specifically fit only me 1. English cannot be translated correctly from Asian language (that's why I don't watch anime in Eng subs either. Only in Korean), especially the anime dialogues, and if translated, sounds a little stupid rather than dramatic. 2. It may miss the tone of the voice 3. English voice actors, let's face it, are not up to the standards in various occasions. 4. I speak Japanese (a little, but I usually can understand game dialogues, anime dialogues, etc, mostly because they use easy language and they speak slow) 5. It helps me in improving my Japanese listening skills 6. I choose my animes and games based on who is voicing the roles. The voice actors play huge part in my decision (and yes, I can name as many Japanese voice actors as I can name American actors probably) 7. I was born in Korea, and I got used to subs anyway, so I don't feel it's like "reading" rather than "watching" like some people refers it as. 8. Kugiming.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
1/3 of dubs are....umm....questionable or mismatched. However, 9/10ths of subs are equal or superior to the dub.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I speak Japanese, so I avoid both where possible.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
No clue
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

1. Japanese voices were what the creator of the anime said 'yes' to which means it was probably selected out of a group. While the English voice acting seems more of like a shoddy after thought. Example compared to this (Kamina is way more manly in this version.)

2. The censorship, with cases like One Piece. 4kids destroyed the dub and made it vastly inferior to the Japanese version. I'd like to watch anime as how the makers wanted it to be like. Examples of censorship: Sanji's cigarettes were turned into lollipops and the horrible opening theme.

3. Waiting for a sub is faster than waiting for a horrible dub.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
Because most of the time, the english voice actors usually make the dub suck since they don't seem to put their soul into it. They seem to over do it during dramatic sequences and sound corny during the normal parts. Sometimes, the voice actor don't seem to really fit the character that well. Then the translations for most animes aren't great....
rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts
I don't use either.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
Naruto has a really bad dub. He doesn't even say "BELIEVE IT!" in any version of Naruto other than the horrid US dub.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
The dubs usually have horrible, horrible voice acting. The characters all sound wayyy off. The best dub I can recall that was actually better than the sub is DBZ. The rest of them though ...... meh I'll rather read.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tekken220

1. Japanese voices were what the creator of the anime said 'yes' to which means it was probably selected out of a group. While the English voice acting seems more of like a shoddy after thought. Example compared to this (Kamina is way more manly in this version.)

2. The censorship, with cases like One Piece. 4kids destroyed the dub and made it vastly inferior to the Japanese version. I'd like to watch anime as how the makers wanted it to be like. Examples of censorship: Sanji's cigarettes were turned into lollipops and the horrible opening theme.

Vesica_Prime
Wow they changed it from "Snap out of out" to "LETS SEE YOU GRIP THOSE TEETH!" Wth.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
For movies i always prefer subs, just doesn't seem right the other way, though i had a good laugh in Mexico when i saw dubbed Simpsons episodes :lol: The guy is pretty much doing ever voice.......
Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
I like anime/games dubbed. I like live action foreign films subbed.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I like anime/games dubbed. I like live action foreign films subbed.Jaguar_Shade
Concur'd.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Dubs usually sound and look ridiculous.
143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 143C5

Vesica_Prime
It was just 4kids, so I don't care about it. Wow, most people has answers why is sub is better than dub...
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

They probably aren't better sounding. But it's embarrasing with some voices.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Some....a lot of you either watch very very bad animes (90% of it these days?) or you're just dub bashing. Any dub with Johnny Young Bosch usually voids the argument of "this anime's dub was horrible". We need less "We're in the 90s!" mentality in this thread! Dub voice actors become popular for a reason. The way some of you talk would make any person unfamiliar with anime think that the dubs all sound like this Hello!

I was actually an anti-fan of Death Note's dub until I bought the entire anime and actually rewatached it dubbed. It's seriously a preference thing, not a FACT OF LIFE thing. Happy you guys don't control dubs. >_>

dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dragon7x2k
Member since 2007 • 3695 Posts
I loved the voices in Star Fox 64, in RPGs is also better to have english voices to me, except that sometimes the developers chose cheap VA and the games ends with horrible voices. I love the latin american Gears of War dub, it sounds pretty good and the voice actors are awesome.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

I do prefer subs because that was the original language it was suppose to be in and it usually fits better. However there are exceptions Ghelbi studio usually use great English voice actors and I prefer that over the original.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Two main reasons

1. People prefer the authenticity of Subs.

2. Sum dubs are bad (looking at you 4kids :evil: )

Though dubs are allot better than they used to be and even better than the original sometimes in voice acting talent.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
Dubbing just sounds weird in general. I always use subtitles.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
Depends a lot on the quality of the dub... I will admit that some dubs are horrible to listen to because the essence of the characters are lost with poor voice actor choices, horrible translations etc. It's hit and miss, and naturally a few misses are all that it takes to leave you thinking that most, if not all dubs are just simply awful. Personally, if a dub isn't available or isn't all that good, a sub will do just fine for me.
RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts
The original is always better, that's why it's the original.
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

i mostly watch dub becuase english is my native language and i prefer to hear a voice i can both understand and that sounds familiar. although if i really like a show and there is no dub like some of the FMA OVAs i will watch the sub version.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

i mostly watch dub becuase english is my native language and i prefer to hear a voice i can both understand and that sounds familiar. although if i really like a show and there is no dub like some of the FMA OVAs i will watch the sub version.

cornholio157

I think they are dubbed now.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Aww, I saw the beginning of the title and thought this was going to be about a different kind of sub. :(

143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 143C5

Some....a lot of you either watch very very bad animes (90% of it these days?) or you're just dub bashing. Any dub with Johnny Young Bosch usually voids the argument of "this anime's dub was horrible". We need less "We're in the 90s!" mentality in this thread! Dub voice actors become popular for a reason. The way some of you talk would make any person unfamiliar with anime think that the dubs all sound like this Hello!

I was actually an anti-fan of Death Note's dub until I bought the entire anime and actually rewatached it dubbed. It's seriously a preference thing, not a FACT OF LIFE thing. Happy you guys don't control dubs. >_>

ProjectTrinity
Yeah, but I'm starting get annoyed of it.....
143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 143C5

Two main reasons

1. People prefer the authenticity of Subs.

2. Sum dubs are bad (looking at you 4kids :evil: )

Though dubs are allot better than they used to be and even better than the original sometimes in voice acting talent.

dercoo
I personally love subs (but not really)
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Because most of the time, the english voice actors usually make the dub suck since they don't seem to put their soul into it. They seem to over do it during dramatic sequences and sound corny during the normal parts. Sometimes, the voice actor don't seem to really fit the character that well. Then the translations for most animes aren't great....tocool340

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Because I enjoy the Japanese voice acting.
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

Because I enjoy the Japanese voice acting.EMOEVOLUTION

Yeah same for me, I just love the way the Japanese language sounds in the anime better then getting a whiny american sounding kid to do naruto :/

143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 143C5

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]Because I enjoy the Japanese voice acting.carlandcarl

Yeah same for me, I just love the way the Japanese language sounds in the anime better then getting a whiny american sounding kid to do naruto :/

LOL, I agree with you on the Naruto one.....
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tekken220
[QUOTE="carlandcarl"]

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]Because I enjoy the Japanese voice acting.143C5

Yeah, hearing him say "BELIEVE IT" is really annoying.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
As a person whose second language is English, it's normal for me to read subtitles, and not all the animes I watch can be seen with dubs, either. When it comes to video games, I don't really have any that aren't with english voices, except maybe for a game like Okami where the voices are *borkborkbork* without being a real language. When I watch a studio ghibli film, for example, I like the japanese voices better, because they fit the animation and the over-all feel of the movie. Especially with a film like Spirited Away.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

[QUOTE="143C5"][QUOTE="carlandcarl"]

tekken220

Yeah, hearing him say "BELIEVE IT" is really annoying.

DATE-effing-BAYO!

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Dubs are funny and it's hard to take the anime seriously at times. Japanese voice actors are just good at what they do.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#38 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
I like anime/games dubbed. I like live action foreign films subbed.Jaguar_Shade
pretty much this. though i will say quite often i find a dubbed version of an anime that i'm just super irritated by.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

I like hearing the original language. If it's Japanese or Spanish (languages I've studied in the past) even better. I always like recognizing words and phrases that I know.

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#40 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
it's more natural with subs, i like the Japanese voices