Why Marriage Matters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

During my lunch break I came across this column. Since everyone lately has been talking about marriage, I thought this may help some people understand why governments encourage marriage. As I've said in some other threads, it has a lot to do with having a stable society. Here are some of the main points:

From the Article:

The statistics are familiar. In 1970, 85.2 percent of children under 18 lived in a two-parent family. In 2005, it was 68.3 percent and dropping. Forty percent of births in America are to unwed parents. Broken down by ethnic group, the figures are 30 percent among whites, 50 percent for Hispanics and 70 percent for blacks.

------------------------------

Single mothers (and occasionally fathers) find it much more difficult to be the kind of autonomous, self-supporting individuals that our system of government was designed for. Single parents turn to the government for assistance in dozens of ways. Pearlstein cites economist Benjamin Scafidi, who has offered a rough calculation of how much family breakdown costs American taxpayers annually. Scafidi considered TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), Food Stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, S-Chip, child welfare services, justice system costs, WIC, LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program), Head Start, school breakfast and lunch programs, and foregone tax receipts. The annual bill to taxpayers: $112 billion.

-------------------------------

marriage patterns are creating a caste system in a country that had traditionally enjoyed relative equality. Among the well-educated, marriage rates have remained very stable over the past several decades. College graduates are thus (mostly) rearing their children in orderly, supportive environments in which kids are taught to study hard, delay gratification and plan for the future. But 54 percent of the children of high school dropouts are illegitimate. Their parents' lives are marked by financial stress, conflict and turmoil.

Since income and education are so closely linked, the outlines of a permanent caste system become visible, with the educated raising children who have the tools to become successful themselves and the poor and lower middle class continuing to give birth under circumstances that virtually condemn their children to poverty.

Much has been made by Democrats of the increasing inequality of income distribution in America. That inequality is real. But it's not the result of tax cuts. It's an artifact of family structure. And unless we find a way to discourage unwed childbearing and revive marriage, the chasm between classes will continue to grow.

------------------------------------

Link to Full Article HERE

Any thoughts?

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Well, the stats dont lie I guess. But it is obvious that a family thats well-educated and have strong moral values would be more likely to marry, have kids and teach them the same values.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Well, the stats dont lie I guess. But it is obvious that a family thats well-educated and have strong moral values would be more likely to marry, have kids and teach them the same values.

KamuiFei

That is the weird part though. I don't see where they got the "College graduates are thus (mostly) rearing their children in orderly, supportive environments in which kids are taught to study hard, delay gratification and plan for the future." part from. I suppose that is the way they wish things to be or so. Ah wait. Is 'delay gratification' a means of saying 'to not have sex whenever possible'? Cause then I understand but still think it's a wild conclusion to draw.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Yellowone, this seems to be a topic that is far too often ignored. But it is important.

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

The article seems to suggest that the reason kids don't do well in school is because their parens aren't married. Correlation doesn't prove causation. Children born out of wedlock are most likely unwanted which results in crappy parenting. It has nothing do with the fact that both parents don't live in the same house. Both parents just suck at their jobs.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The article seems to suggest that the reason kids don't do well in school is because their parens aren't married. Correlation doesn't prove causation. Children born out of wedlock are most likely unwanted which results in crappy parenting. It has nothing do with the fact that both parents don't live in the same house. Both parents just suck at their jobs.

kussese

I agree with this.

Im failing to see how any of the information posted is actually related to why marriage matters. As if two parents living together, while not married, will produce a child less healthy than the same situation, but married.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

KungfuKitten

That is the weird part though. I don't see where they got the "College graduates are thus (mostly) rearing their children in orderly, supportive environments in which kids are taught to study hard, delay gratification and plan for the future." part from. I suppose that is the way they wish things to be or so. Ah wait. Is 'delay gratification' a means of saying 'to not have sex whenever possible'? Cause then I understand but still think it's a wild conclusion to draw.

I think when the writer wrote 'delay gratification' he wasn't referring specifically to sex. I think (although I could be wrong) the author meant to say that the kids learn that it's good/often better not to just run out and spend money on things haphazardly but to save. Things like that. Although I suppose that general philosophy sort of transcends money, sex, education, a whole bunch of things.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Guys it saying that two incomes can raise a kid better than one. A one parent household is much more likely going to need government assistance. More education = a better job so it creates a cicle

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whipassmt

[QUOTE="kussese"]

XaosII

I agree with this.

Im failing to see how any of the information posted is actually related to why marriage matters. As if two parents living together, while not married, will produce a child less healthy than the same situation, but married.

Actually I think i've seen some reports that indicate that married parents do produce "healthier" children than cohabiting ones and are more likely to stay together.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That's a very interesting approach to the inequality of income. I can see it being the cause of a majority. There are still tax loopholes that get exploited of course.

This is also why I don't plan on having kids until I'm old enough and ready. I just graduated college and got a full time job, not nearly ready. This is the problem though. Most of my highschool classmates who didn't go to college have a kid already and maybe a second on the way. It's insane. They can't support these kids yet they have them anyways. These kids are boring into financial uncertainty with very unstable marriages holding the family together. This is a majr problem.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="kussese"]

whipassmt

I agree with this.

Actually I think i've seen some reports that indicate that married parents do produce "healthier" children than cohabiting ones and are more likely to stay together.

This is the reason. The majority of unmarried parents do not live together as well.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

I agree with this.

Wasdie

This is the reason. The majority of unmarried parents do not live together as well.

And when they do live together it seems to be only for a little while.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

those are some interesting excerpts. I'll have to read more.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Guys it saying that two incomes can raise a kid better than one. A one parent household is much more likely going to need government assistance. More education = a better job so it creates a cicle

LaytonsCat

Two incomes? That means that both parents are working, which means that the mother isn't tending to household and motherly duties, which leads to a break down of the traditional family.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

KungfuKitten

I think it's more so the fact that higher education in the parents generally leads to the offspring having an induced sense of importance on education as well. If the parents are successful, they're going to desire that their offspring follow suit. I was raised in a household like that actually. My dad is an engineer, but ever since I was a kid he's always pushed me towards getting as educated as possible, and now I'm on the road to psychiatry. As for the actual topic at hand, people simply don't feel like being tied down anymore. The social structure of society has changed, and people are still desiring offspring, but at the same time more people are valuing things like sexual gratification over crafting a stable environment for any potential children. Due to sex being so blatantly used purely for pleasure now, a lot of people seek relationships with a much greater merit on sexual interaction.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 worlock77

Not sure why some people act as though sex purely for physical gratification is a new trend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I don't believe that it's marriage that helps the family. I think it's the mentality of those who get married that helps the family. Generally, people who get married are more likely to wait until they're ready before marrying and are more likely to have children after marriage. They tend to be more religious, which provides structure in their spiritual lives and they also are healthier and more financially secure.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77

I don't believe that it's marriage that helps the family. I think it's the mentality of those who get married that helps the family. Generally, people who get married are more likely to wait until they're ready before marrying and are more likely to have children after marriage. They tend to be more religious, which provides structure in their spiritual lives and they also are healthier and more financially secure.Genetic_Code

Ehh, I don't know about all there. There are plenty of people who jump into marriage. And plenty of people who are married, stable, healthy and financially secure who aren't religious.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

If wealth increases your chances of being educated and being educated increases your chances of remaining married and properly raising a child who has an increased chance of being educated and wealthy ( rinse repeat ), and since these things increase your chances of being happy we can safely conclude that money does in fact buy everything....including happiness.

Maybe i missed something but that was all i gathered from reading that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It certainly is true that children that come from 2 parent families do much better than those from a single parent household. However, I dont know if it's ever been studied whether the parents are different or same sex.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YellowOneKinobi

It certainly is true that children that come from 2 parent families do much better than those from a single parent household. However, I dont know if it's ever been studied whether the parents are different or same sex.

sonicare

I was hoping to avoid the 'traditional' marriage vs same-sex marriage in this thread.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
First thought: It would be nice if sexual education in school wasn't such a controversial thing but mandatory. It would be even nicer if sexual education included something beyond simply "Don't have sex period or bad things will happen to you" Abstinence Only approach that doesn't work but actually included the idea that sex becomes infinitely more safe and less likely to produce unwanted zerglings if high schoolers make use of condoms and birth control.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YellowOneKinobi

First thought: It would be nice if sexual education in school wasn't such a controversial thing but mandatory. It would be even nicer if sexual education included something beyond simply "Don't have sex period or bad things will happen to you" Abstinence Only approach that doesn't work but actually included the idea that sex becomes infinitely more safe and less likely to produce unwanted zerglings if high schoolers make use of condoms and birth control.nocoolnamejim
Regardless of what is taught in schools, doesn't a lot of it boil down to Monkey See - Monkey Do?

That is, when a child grows up in a stable environment with two parents and money isn't a constant, every day struggle to make ends meet (typically the case for more educated households) and therefore provided with a 'comfortable' atmosphere, that type of environment will be 'the norm' for that child and that is what they will strive to emulate later on in life. Success breeds success, for the most part. (Disclaimer: No, no parents are perfect regardless of financial status).

Conversly, a child born to a single parent, whom struggles constantly with money and is always stressed out, and doesn't see how two parents interact on a daily basis, will likely grow up to emulate that later on in life, as that situation is the child's 'norm.' Just from my own observations, there are certain areas here in NY where it seems almost every other teenage girl has a baby on the hip, and no ring on the finger. Then when you see their parent (typically the mother but not always), it's a similar story to that of the teenager.

I guess what I'm saying is, children born to a set of parents are more likely (I believe) to become parents. People born to a mother and a 'baby daddy' are more likely to end up either a single mother or a 'baby daddy.' For the most part, both financially and emotionally, I can't help but think that the latter of the two examples has a distinct disadvantage in this world.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
i just want the government to recognize the bond between me and my cherry tree, once i get that nice tax break i dont care what/who else can get taxed less.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YellowOneKinobi

i just want the government to recognize the bond between me and my cherry tree, once i get that nice tax break i dont care what/who else can get taxed less.surrealnumber5
Um, Surreal, I don't know how to tell you this...... so I'll just say it. I saw your cherry tree and, well, jeez how do I put this......but the cherries...... well..... another fella was plucking it. Sorry to be the one to tell you :(

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]First thought: It would be nice if sexual education in school wasn't such a controversial thing but mandatory. It would be even nicer if sexual education included something beyond simply "Don't have sex period or bad things will happen to you" Abstinence Only approach that doesn't work but actually included the idea that sex becomes infinitely more safe and less likely to produce unwanted zerglings if high schoolers make use of condoms and birth control.YellowOneKinobi

Regardless of what is taught in schools, doesn't a lot of it boil down to Monkey See - Monkey Do?

That is, when a child grows up in a stable environment with two parents and money isn't a constant, every day struggle to make ends meet (typically the case for more educated households) and therefore provided with a 'comfortable' atmosphere, that type of environment will be 'the norm' for that child and that is what they will strive to emulate later on in life. Success breeds success, for the most part. (Disclaimer: No, no parents are perfect regardless of financial status).

Conversly, a child born to a single parent, whom struggles constantly with money and is always stressed out, and doesn't see how two parents interact on a daily basis, will likely grow up to emulate that later on in life, as that situation is the child's 'norm.' Just from my own observations, there are certain areas here in NY where it seems almost every other teenage girl has a baby on the hip, and no ring on the finger. Then when you see their parent (typically the mother but not always), it's a similar story to that of the teenager.

I guess what I'm saying is, children born to a set of parents are more likely (I believe) to become parents. People born to a mother and a 'baby daddy' are more likely to end up either a single mother or a 'baby daddy.' For the most part, both financially and emotionally, I can't help but think that the latter of the two examples has a distinct disadvantage in this world.

I understand where you're coming from, but there's a fine line between a government incenting certain behaviors (like giving tax breaks to married couples) and MANDATING certain things. Can't interfere too much or you get cries of "nanny state" and " government intruding where they don't belong". I came from the exact sort of household you described and can definitely see the benefits.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Have been with my girl for 18 years and we still aren't married. We see no point in it and find marriage to be a joke.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Well, I say f*** marriage, but then I also don't plan on having any kids. And my income is substantially above the national average. So I guess this article doesn't really apply to me.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Reading that only made me see why money matters, not why marriage matters. :|

dnafactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dnafactory
Member since 2011 • 231 Posts
What's marriage? Never heard of it. The idea of marriage is already a declining trend and will likely fade completely in the future, I'm sure.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And what if the two partners in that marriage hate each other's guts? How is that a good thing?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

i just want the government to recognize the bond between me and my cherry tree, once i get that nice tax break i dont care what/who else can get taxed less.surrealnumber5

I knew you liked good wood :)

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

Much has been made by Democrats of the increasing inequality of income distribution in America. That inequality is real. But it's not the result of tax cuts. It's an artifact of family structure. And unless we find a way to discourage unwed childbearing and revive marriage, the chasm between classes will continue to grow.

YellowOneKinobi

I have issues with that part but otherwise I agree. The problem is we like to single out one thing to fix our problems like only cutting spending or only raising taxes will fix the debt when the truth is, most of our problem are very complex, didn't pop up overnight, can't be quick fixed and require multiple solutions hitting it from different angles.

When it comes to marriage, yeah, a two parent household is better than a one parent house, almost every study ever done confirms that. The problem is, how to you change things without government social engineering? Especially when you consider that we're a species of individuals that don't all share the same values. Just because something works for me doesn't mean that it will work for everyone and that I should force you to live the same way or vise versa.

I guess if these problems could be fixed so easily, they wouldn't exist anymore.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="kussese"]

XaosII

I agree with this.

True but you have to admit that "Why Marriage Matters" is a much better title than "Why having 2 parents matters". Also the vast majority of those raising a kid together will be married, TBH if you're locked into looking after a kid for 18 years together it's kinda stupid to not get married for the custody and tax benefits.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 markop2003

YellowOneKinobi
Nah, i think the biggest issue is parents that don't have time for their young kids. It doesn't really matter if they're high income, low income, single or married, not having time to teach or just spend time with them will negatively effect them. All these stories you see where a single mother's daughter is on the honour role have a very supportive mother who's heavily involved with their child.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markop2003
I don't believe that it's marriage that helps the family. I think it's the mentality of those who get married that helps the family. Generally, people who get married are more likely to wait until they're ready before marrying and are more likely to have children after marriage. They tend to be more religious, which provides structure in their spiritual lives and they also are healthier and more financially secure.Genetic_Code
That ain't true here any more. You may see that in the Muslim, Sikh, Hindu communities still but the Christian community here in the UK is no better than any other.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

Good read

1aday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 1aday
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts

Yellowone, this seems to be a topic that is far too often ignored. But it is important.

whipassmt
I agree, it's very important.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Marriage as a concept has nothing to do with it :?

Mr_Snrub_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr_Snrub_
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
It sounds like kids need to stay in school.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

What's marriage? Never heard of it. The idea of marriage is already a declining trend and will likely fade completely in the future, I'm sure.dnafactory

Out of curiosity: What "trend" would replace marriage at the end of its decline? Would we simply run around having sex with random partners and allow our kids to grow up in broken and strained environments?

I know it might seem that I'm getting a little extreme here but basically what I'm saying is that even if we stop calling it "marriage", monogamous relationships would still be important for child bearing and rearing.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Marriage doesn't fix these problems and seeing marriage as a cause for financial and social stability is a very ill-researched theory. There might be correlations towards what this column says, but to take marriage as this definite good is never ideal.

We could discuss how people who are averse to abortions are taking money away from taxpayers. But that's a discussion for the inevitable weekly abortion thread.

Marriage is a good idea when the couple that is considering it is financially, emotionally, and mentally ready. Shoehorning a marriage into a shotgun wedding where the irresponsible couple is already pregnant won't solve anything.

There are also multiple reasons why people are deciding that marriage isn't an option at this point. This isn't a bad thing, but women are starting to realize they don't have to be stuck in crappy marriages anymore if they aren't satisfied. In earlier decades this wouldn't have been an option and would have been far more taboo than it is today.

Marriage is incredibly expensive and in this modern economic climate, it's simply not viable for many people to get married. The problem is that people only seem to be looking at large expensive glamorous weddings when they could just as easily go to the court house and get married in a few minutes.

Marriage isn't a bad thing and I don't view it as such, but it shouldn't be used as a crutch when it isn't necessary or relevant.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

If some teenager had sex with his highschool girlfriend and the girl became pregnant and they broke up, after 20 years the guy goes to a bar gets drunk then gets laid with a chick, that chick is his daughter.