why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

I don't think so/ Sounds like mocking to me.ShadowsDemon
Dawkins has done nothing but show respect everyone who disagreed with him. Watch any of his documentaries and you will see that he's a gentle and reasonable man. I personally think that religon should be mocked because it has caused much harm to society and is fundamentally outdated. 

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#152 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
At times I wonder to what extent it's an actual increase in the prevalence of atheism, as opposed to people feeling comfortable acknowledging they don't believe without fear of persecution. I bet it is though partly a simple fact that religion is less prominent as society becomes less secular, which in turns fuels the cycle. Honestly I don't much care what a person's beliefs are as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on others and as long as they are generally respectful of other people's beliefs. Unfortunately, there's a good amount of each of these going on.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#153 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I don't think so/ Sounds like mocking to me.silentobi

Dawkins has done nothing but respect everyone who disagreed with him. Watch any of his documentaries and you will see that he's a gentle and reasonable man. I personally think that religon should be mocked because it has caused much harm to society and is fundamentally outdated. 

So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#154 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I'm from a religious family and I spent most of my life believing a god and going to church. I can't recall when I stopped believing, I just stopped because it felt forced upon me, like it wasn't my own thoughts and opinions. So I research online and read the bible and after that long period of *soul* searching I just couldn't believe in religion anymore.

I told my family that and oh boy the backlash, my mom cried and told me I broke her heart and my dad called me stupid, my sister took it with an open mind, but was still hurt. 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="silentobi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I don't think so/ Sounds like mocking to me.ShadowsDemon

Dawkins has done nothing but respect everyone who disagreed with him. Watch any of his documentaries and you will see that he's a gentle and reasonable man. I personally think that religon should be mocked because it has caused much harm to society and is fundamentally outdated. 

So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.

He doesn't advocate that, but of course you would twist things that way

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.ShadowsDemon
You didn't read what he wrote. He said nothing about mocking the individual, but the beliefs. You have been missing that distinction this whole time.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="silentobi"] Dawkins has done nothing but respect everyone who disagreed with him. Watch any of his documentaries and you will see that he's a gentle and reasonable man. I personally think that religon should be mocked because it has caused much harm to society and is fundamentally outdated. 

wis3boi

He said 'someone who claims to be religious' and discussed religion is general. I didn't need to do any 'twisting'. He made it clear himself.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.Zeviander
You didn't read what he wrote. He said nothing about mocking the individual, but the beliefs. You have been missing that distinction this whole time.

Doesn't matter. Still the same thing - he's mocking the beliefs of the person that they treasure.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.ShadowsDemon

He said 'someone who claims to be religious' and discussed religion is general. I didn't need to do any 'twisting'. He made it clear himself.

If someone claims their religion to be right, they indeed need to be questioned on how they got to such an extraordinary conclusion.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Zeviander
Still the same thingShadowsDemon
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.ShadowsDemon

Doesn't matter. Still the same thing - he's mocking the beliefs of the person that they treasure.

so because you treasure something with zero evidence, you are exempt from all criticism? Oh lord

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

The internet, hipsters, New Atheism.

Don't necessarily have a problem with people being irreligious as long as they don't follow the hatred and bigoted variant espoused by idiots like Richard Dawkins

ShadowsDemon
Richard Dawkins is an incredibly smart man

Smart, yes, but his bigoted attack on theism and religion is unfounded, cruel, unnecessary, and completely pointless. Half the stuff he says he says for effect. He wants people to think with an open mind, and then he tells people to 'openly mock religion'. Real classy, Mr. Dawkins.

He has a reason for every single thing he says about religion. You can disagree with his reasons and argue that he's wrong, but his attacks on religion are neither "unfounded" nor "bigoted".
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] You didn't read what he wrote. He said nothing about mocking the individual, but the beliefs. You have been missing that distinction this whole time.wis3boi

so because you treasure something with zero evidence, you are exempt from all criticism? Oh lord

That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]So someone who keeps to himself, beliefs in god, goes to church on sunday, leads a normal life, should be mocked? Right.ShadowsDemon

Why should the fact that someone values their beliefs mean that those beliefs are above scorn? Do you apply this absurd idea to political ideologies too, or is it only theism that shouldn't be mocked?
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Zeviander
They keep their views to themselves ShadowsDemon
This would imply they would refuse to answer when questioned about their beliefs, making a critic unable to mock them.
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#166 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

I have a new favorite word.  Religiosity.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Doesn't matter. Still the same thing - he's mocking the beliefs of the person that they treasure.ShadowsDemon

That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.

Actions are based on beleifs, so it's hard to impossible to truely keep it to yourself.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Actions are based on beleifs, so it's hard to impossible to truely keep it to yourself.

What's that song in your sig?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

for myself personally I was raised with a pretty conservative Christian upbringing as a child. But even as a child I had my doubts. Somethings just didn't make any sense to me. But anytime I brought these things up, in the hopes that I might gain a better understanding, I was shut down. I was told "it's not our place to question God". That always confused me. If God didn't want me to ask questions then why did he put these questions in my head? When I was 10 I came to the realization that we're discouraged from asking questions because it can't hold up to questioning. If it can't hold up to questioning then it's bullshit. That was it for me and Christianity. So essentially I was an atheist at 10 year-old, long before it was possibly "hip" for me to be an atheist. But yeah, clearly I've spent 25 years as an atheist because it's trendy, not because I actually put no stock in faith.

Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Mithrandir50
Member since 2013 • 809 Posts

Shadow is not a good spokesperson for OT's theists

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 The4thVIII
Member since 2013 • 420 Posts
If they are like me, they actually went and read the books these "people" followed and realize they make no logic sense and all of them have been edited in history making their credibility void.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]Still the same thingZeviander

The guy calls into question people credentials because of their religious beliefs. What next, Dawkins loves religion?
Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#173 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Where's this statistic?
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#174 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

the bible has been proven to be not 100% of the story too many times, thats why.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Once upon a time there were two white people in a jungle with a talking snake.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Maybe so, but I have my beliefs, you have yours. For me it's as simple as that. People should just get along and be content with their own views. It's not complicated.
silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 silentobi

That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.ShadowsDemon
I've never insulted you or any religious person. Im sure you're a good person and you and I have a lot of similarities being that you are on gamespot forums. I only offended religion something that above all else needs to be put to be questioned. Something that wasn't possible in the past under pain of death. 

Religion demands people to live a certain lifestyle and makes outlandish claims about life and existence. Its good practice to provide evidence when making statements or demands about someones livelihood. Religion does not so it should be tested, question, or mocked. Its a simple pragmatism that modern society should adopt. 

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Jebus213

Stop criticizing my beliefs! You're making me doubt them!ShadowsDemon

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.ShadowsDemon

Maybe so, but I have my beliefs, you have yours. For me it's as simple as that. People should just get along and be content with their own views. It's not complicated.

Views are going to clash in a free thinking society. You shouldn't be afraid to hear your beliefs criticized.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Jebus213

Please answer the fallowing question.

Who was Jesus Christ?

A. The son of god.

B. Our lord and savior.

C. A cult leader

D. Darwin

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 silentobi

This is a huge problem in society. Mocking or insulting an activity that someone engages in is not the same as mocking ones character, personality, or there worth as a person. In free thinking, everything should be open to criticism, its how we arrive at the truth. Its really counter intuitive to not be able to discuss a theory or anything without running the risk about hurting someones feelings. 

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.silentobi

I've never insulted you or any religious person. Im sure you're a good person and you and I have a lot of similarities being that you are on gamespot forums. I only offended religion something that above all else needs to be put to be questioned. Something that wasn't possible in the past under pain of death. 

Religion demands people to live a certain lifestyle and makes outlandish claims about life and existence. Its good practice to provide evidence when making statements or demands about someones livelihood. Religion does not so it should be tested, question, or mocked. Its a simple pragmatism that modern society should adopt. 

You don't have to like them, nor do you have to live by them. Why does it matter to you what others belief and how they live? You seem to really be concerned about how others live and what they do.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.ShadowsDemon

When people stop voting and doing other shit based on an ancient immoral barbaric book I might care less about the topic.  I don't care if someone is religious or believes in a god on that fact alone, but it's nigh impossible to not act on said beliefs. Half the population of my country is a prime example

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 silentobi

[QUOTE="silentobi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] That person doesn't owe anyone anything to explain themselves. They keep their views to themselves and believe what they want. If you can't agree on that then you are a very sad person.ShadowsDemon

You don't have to like them, nor do you have to live by them. Why does it matter to you what others belief and how they live? You seem to really be concerned about how others live and what they do.

It matters to me because religous doctrine will and can affect me in my everyday life. Everything from the conflicts in the middle east which are LARGELY religious, to womens rights, gay rights, school teaching, and impeding on science research. I want humanity to prosper and advance itself and the main force stoping that is religion. So yes it does matter to me. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I think what some people fail to get is that people don't just change their religious beliefs on a whim. Regardless how much a Christian tries to convert an atheist, chances are that the atheist has heard all of that $*** before and is still gonna be an atheist at the end of the day. No matter how much an atheist tries to convince a christian that religion is stupid and evil, the christian has probably heard all that before as well. If anything, he's just gonna end up more entrenched in his beliefs. Usually, trying to convince someone that their religion (or lack of religion) is bull$*** just ends up in a fight. So unless you're just looking for a fight, it's usually best to not even talk about it except when it's affecting you directly. Hell, if nothing else, at least bring something new to the table. There's one thing that's always annoyed me when people try to spread their views, when they take something obvious or common and act as if it's some profound truth. Like when atheists try to gain converts by mentioning how many wars were fought over religion, or how Christians try to get converts by talking about how Christ died for our sins. Regardless of if you think the other side is wrong, at least give them a little credit. If all you can bring to the table is $***that everyone has heard by the time they're 10 years old, then you've got no business arguing over this. If that $*** was gonna convince people, then they would have changed their minds a long time ago. You're wasting your time. Go back home, do some more learning yourself, then come back in a few years when you can bring something new to the table.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 wis3boi

I think what some people fail to get is that people don't just change their religious beliefs on a whim. Regardless how much a Christian tries to convert an atheist, chances are that the atheist has heard all of that $*** before and is still gonna be an atheist at the end of the day. No matter how much an atheist tries to convince a christian that religion is stupid and evil, the christian has probably heard all that before as well. If anything, he's just gonna end up more entrenched in his beliefs. Usually, trying to convince someone that their religion (or lack of religion) is bull$*** just ends up in a fight. So unless you're just looking for a fight, it's usually best to not even talk about it except when it's affecting you directly. Hell, if nothing else, at least bring something new to the table. There's one thing that's always annoyed me when people try to spread their views, when they take something obvious or common and act as if it's some profound truth. Like when atheists try to gain converts by mentioning how many wars were fought over religion, or how Christians try to get converts by talking about how Christ died for our sins. Regardless of if you think the other side is wrong, at least give them a little credit. If all you can bring to the table is $***that everyone has heard by the time they're 10 years old, then you've got no business arguing over this. If that $*** was gonna convince people, then they would have changed their minds a long time ago. You're wasting your time. Go back home, do some more learning yourself, then come back in a few years when you can bring something new to the table. MrGeezer

I've been a part of various religious discussions that lead a couple christians to non belief.  it wasn't overnight, and it wasn't about the core religion either. It was about the big questions: "What do you believe and why do you believe it?"  That "why do you believe" can really get people thinking, as long as they are at least a little bit open....because many people can't even answer the 'why' part.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

logic.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#189 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

People are finally coming to their senses.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
I can't speak for others, but I didn't "become" an atheist, I just have always been one. My folks, although holding their own religious beliefs, never pressed them on me or my siblings and allowed us to choose for ourselves. I remember going to church with a friend and his family when I was a kid and laughing when I found out what they actually believed( feel bad about that disrespect now, but I was a kid).
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I've been a part of various religious discussions that lead a couple christians to non belief.  it wasn't overnight, and it wasn't about the core religion either. It was about the big questions: "What do you believe and why do you believe it?"  That "why do you believe" can really get people thinking, as long as they are at least a little bit open....because many people can't even answer the 'why' part.

wis3boi
The thing is, that swings both ways. Religious people become atheists, atheists become religious, and religious people stay religious and just switch to a different religion. "Why do you believe what you believe" is certainly an important question, but that's just as likely to reaffirm that they already got it right. In any case, your contribution is pretty small. Regardless of what they believe, assuming that they never even thought about why they believe it is the same sort of condescending BS that I was talking about. Chances are, you aren't the first person to ask them why they're a christian or a muslim or an atheist or whatever. If that didn't get them to change before, it's not going to now. And if it does, then you probably had little to do with it: chances are that they were already vulnerable to change already.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#192 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

That would be fine, but the beliefs of the religious are closed and unwelcoming of new ideas, facts, additional beliefs, and fun things like that.  In fact, religion is down right intolerant and hostile at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Because religion isn't being forced nearly as hard as it was. A lot of people in medieval Europe pre-30 years war were Christian because they didn't want to get persecuted and possibly killed because of a belief system. Since we are more open about that in the U.S it tends to let people make their own choices, which the trends show.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#194 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I can't speak for others, but I didn't "become" an atheist, I just have always been one. My folks, although holding their own religious beliefs, never pressed them on me or my siblings and allowed us to choose for ourselves. I remember going to church with a friend and his family when I was a kid and laughing when I found out what they actually believed( feel bad about that disrespect now, but I was a kid).dagreenfish

pretty much same story.  I gave Santa thought.  I gave the monsters in the closet thought.  But I never gave God thought.  I don't know if, at the time, it was out of denying his existence or simply not really knowing of religious teachings, but I just was not into it.

I dont even like the term atheist, to be honest.  To me it implies that I actively deny the existence of a god or something.  Its not even that.  To me, it is simply not a factor.  Never was, never is, never will.  Might as well try to comprehend the size of Jupiter before trying to comprehend someone's belief in God.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#195 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
As we learn more about the world around us, the more it seems unlikely that a higher power exists.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Education. access to information is greater than every, more individual opinions can be formed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Because cymicism is cool.

Angie7F
Please, if your religious or not but you and the other tools saying people don't believe because its "cool" are by far the worst bunch of the lot. You think questioning is just being cool? seriously? You think not accepting the first set of beliefs and stories presented to you with no evidence is the way to think? Nothing to do with being cool.... just stop saying this pathetic nonsense.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

As we learn more about the world around us, the more it seems unlikely that a higher power exists.JasonDarksavior
actually it is the opposite, as more we learn about the universe the more likely there is a creator.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

Please answer the fallowing question.

Who was Jesus Christ?

A. The son of god.

B. Our lord and savior.

C. A cult leader

D. Darwin

Jebus213

none of them, he was a messenger of God.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#200 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Rationalization. As modern populations become richer, more developed & more educated they tend to value things like efficiency, material wealth, .etc which religion naturally acts as a barrier to, and being further away from functional poverty makes the populist message of religion much less attractive. It doesn't help religious institutions that they haven't had significant levels of control over Western governments for half a millennium and so have very few means of imposing their belief system on large populations.

Fundamentally there's also the fact that being religious is simply less "logical" than being irreligious, due to the real world providing no strong evidence for the existence of supernatural entities let alone the truth of any one religion, so less people today (relative to population) are willing to suspend their use of rational thought in favour of blind faith as compared to a few centuries ago. Especially not youths who tend to be rather rebellious and wouldn't be very willing to conform to the messages of belief systems that insist on them not doing stuff that youths like to do.