Why is the movie Drive 2011 so highly rated?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3988 Posts

I never understood the love for this movie the best thing it had going was the 80's vibe and the opening driving getaway.Ryan Gosling is so meh in this movie it just feels so pretentious I don't expect this movie to be like The Fast and Furious like some people thought it would be. But man this movie is so overrated I gave it a second chance and nope it still sucks ass help me understand what is so great about this movie because I don't see it.

BTW. If you watch AEW I'm pretty sure Orange Cassidy got his gimmick from Ryan Goslings character.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2226 Posts

It's a 7 outta 10 for me.

I realized after Blade Runner 2049 that I just don't like Ryan Gosling.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2226 Posts
@warmblur said:

BTW. If you watch AEW I'm pretty sure Orange Cassidy got his gimmick from Ryan Goslings character.

I think Ryan Gosling's character was inspired by the protagonist of the '70s movie The Driver. But that character is smarter. The opening of Drive and some of the plot elements are also inspired by The Driver.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45619 Posts

I thought Drive was good.

Then I saw Baby Driver. And now Drive is "OK". and it's funny because the opening of Drive is awesome, and the rest is meh. Then you have Baby Driver and the first three minutes where he is singing I'm like "Man, this is dumb" then the movie goes into high gear and it's just great great great.

Drive is a really good case study of a sociopath, however. Ryan Gosling plays a great, screwed up, antisocial guy in that movie. A twisted White Knight of sorts.

Baby Driver is arguably the best car-chase movie ever made. Except for maybe the movie Ronin.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5986 Posts

I thought it was great and thought Ryan did a fantastic job in that role. I might have to watch it again, haven't seen it in some time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37548 Posts

Didn't do much for me either to be honest.

At least it inspired Hotline Miami.

LordJinChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 LordJinChaos
Member since 2004 • 17712 Posts

The soundtrack is way better than the movie itself, but that's just my opinion.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2234 Posts

Cool, simplistic, introvert character (the jacket...). Slow pace in general go hand in hand with the simple relationship buildup. Brusque moments of violence (verbal, physical) stay in the foreground throughout. Excellent photography (vibrant colors, frame composition, camera movement) Soundtrack goes hand in hand with the image. Awesome anti-hero farewell.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5936 Posts

The soundtrack was the best part of the movie. Ryan Gosling isn't all that great of an actor. He's hot though, I give him that. He'd be better off in a Sean Cody movie ;-)