Why is google search less reliable these days?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Temesra
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

Why is google search less reliable these days? It seems to me in the past when I search for stuff on the internet I would get hundreds and hundreds of web sites!! Now I only get 5 to 6 web sites if I'm lucky and the other hundreds and hundreds of web sites are talking about some thing very different.

Anyone else here notice google search was better in the 2000s and got worse now. It seems in past 10 years it got bad and the past 5 years got really bad.

If I use Duchduckgo or startpage has search engine it not really any better.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122240 Posts

Try Bing.

What exactly are you struggling with finding when using Google? I've yet to run into any problems.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16331 Posts
@horgen said:

Try Bing.

I've found Bing to be better than Google for the past few years, myself. Also, I get free movie tickets about once a month from the rewards thing.

I actually don't like Google these days. Hate GMail because I can't make folders, and Google search not only sucks but it affects what Youtube presents you. Seriously, search for something on Google a few times and go see if something related doesn't pop up on your Youtube recommendations.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Horgen  Moderator

@br0kenrabbit said:
@horgen said:

Try Bing.

I've found Bing to be better than Google for the past few years, myself. Also, I get free movie tickets about once a month from the rewards thing.

I actually don't like Google these days. Hate GMail because I can't make folders, and Google search not only sucks but it affects what Youtube presents you. Seriously, search for something on Google a few times and go see if something related doesn't pop up on your Youtube recommendations.

That explains all the results about electric bikes that I get.

Had some problems with mine and tried to google fu a solution.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16331 Posts

@horgen said:

Yeah, it's annoying. Just because I want to buy something doesn't mean I want to watch 20 unboxing videos. WTF.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Horgen  Moderator

@br0kenrabbit said:
@horgen said:

Yeah, it's annoying. Just because I want to buy something doesn't mean I want to watch 20 unboxing videos. WTF.

I did see a neat video if I wanted to convert my old bike into an electrical one. But what a waste of time really. :P

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Temesra

@horgen said:

Try Bing.

What exactly are you struggling with finding when using Google? I've yet to run into any problems.

I search many different things but I find google seems to of switched from database search base on keywords to AI search what we think you should see and not see.

In the past the more you type in search box the closer you are to finding the web site talking about it. That not the case any more. And now the more you type in the search the less likely you to find it.

Just today I was searching about movie actor and got no entries in google but with Bing I got three from Quora and one from message board. It seems google wants to be more article base search than a database search.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5903 Posts

Did you scroll past the ads?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1390 Posts

Sadly, google is owned by the hardcore leftists who want to censor and control the internet.

You can’t find anything on google anymore.

Like I can’t be the only person on the planet who is asking questions and have nothing pop up.

It’s baffling. Google has sucked for years now. It’s the same dozen sites and it ignores the billions of others.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3024 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Sadly, google is owned by the hardcore leftists who want to censor and control the internet.

You can’t find anything on google anymore.

Like I can’t be the only person on the planet who is asking questions and have nothing pop up.

It’s baffling. Google has sucked for years now. It’s the same dozen sites and it ignores the billions of others.

If it's a political search, then yeah stay off google, they just make it a bit harder for right leaning stuff.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4634 Posts

My main gripe with Google is they sort searches by perceived relevance/popularity.

I'd prefer it be sorted by date/time. I hate searching for a DIY kind of fix for something, and then realize the article I'm reading is from 2014 -- but it's at the top.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Temesra

It not just political search but even blogs and message boards.

In the past google would show lots of blogs, message boards and private web sites and now you lucky to get only two or three.

And it does not better if you use boolean search. In many cases now boolean search shows even less these days.

StackedDeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StackedDeck
Member since 2020 • 7 Posts

Google and YouTube search have become progressively worse.

With Google part of it is ideological but I find a lot it is profits over accuracy.

With youtube they basically seem to have decided to attempt to revive the dying cable media, by favoring them over smaller independent content creators.

With need viable alternatives because it's only going to get worse.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25592 Posts

Yahoo! search.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4070 Posts

duckduckgo is decent.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40619 Posts

Old thread you guys. It's 1 month old, so I'll just go ahead and buried this thread now.