Why is gaming hated on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wii360gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wii360gamer
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

So if I played video games for 5 hours straight my mom would be pretty mad but if I read a book for 5 hours shed be happy. Its not like Im fat or anything and I get good grades and stuff also. So why do you think gaming is treated as being a bad thing?

BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts

why is anything hated on? people tend to hate what they cannot understand or comprehend.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

:| It isn't.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Parents think books are better for your brain and they think video games will rot it. Most parents.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

So if I played video games for 5 hours straight my mom would be pretty mad but if I read a book for 5 hours shed be happy. Its not like Im fat or anything and I get good grades and stuff also. So why do you think gaming is treated as being a bad thing?

wii360gamer
It is seen as a past time for little kids and a waste of time. The general belief among people is that books are good for you because they increase your vocabulary.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

Pirate700
It is, you're just not looking hard enough. *long pause* Now, look to your left! You see it now?!
Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts

No doubt you could do more productive stuff with the time you're playing.

-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 -FlyLo-
Member since 2009 • 2833 Posts

Ahh parents, they always want whats best for us. But they do ever ask/care what we want? No.

All parents are the same my friend, they think that these games are going to brainwash us and turn us into idiots. That's my dads theory, but he's not one to talk :lol:

IrishMallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IrishMallard
Member since 2004 • 6797 Posts

To be honest there is more productive things you could be doing besides gaming like working out, dating, ect. It's important to keep a balance and can be difficult given how fun and addicting gaming is.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

It's because they don't understand it. The same was done to your parents I'm sure when they listened to music unfamilar to their parents (your g.parents).

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

Because sitting around devolping your hand eye coordination isnt as healthy as sitting around and ruining your eyes because they have to focus on something right in your face.. Oh wait..

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

To be honest there is more productive things you could be doing besides gaming like working out, dating,ect. It's important to keep a balance and can be difficult given how fun and addicting gaming is.

IrishMallard

You know, I don't see the point. Many parents I know complain about video games, but not about the crap that's on TV and how many hours their children watch it.

IrishMallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IrishMallard

why is anything hated on? peopel tend to hate what they cannot understand or comprehend.BayAreaX
I find the more I understand/comprehend, the more I hate and mentally handicapped people are some of the happiest I know.

Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

Probably cause they're a waste of time. Well...so is this. I always feel like a lazy ass when I sit in front of the computer or TV all day. I could do so much more. Like right now. I could be out with friends...could be working...

I like books better than gaming. The more you know, right?

Who knows. Maybe Im getting old. :lol:

-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -FlyLo-

To be honest there is more productive things you could be doing besides gaming like working out, dating, ect. It's important to keep a balance and can be difficult given how fun and addicting gaming is.

IrishMallard

Parents have a problem with everything, here are some examples.

Dating = Sex

Chilling with friends = Drugs/Alcohol

Sports = Injuries (that's mostly mom's though, don't think dad's gonna worry about that :P )

Music = Brainwashing (well it depends on what, but most parents were raised with Led Zeppelin and whatnot so everything nowadays is crap to them)

Face it, everytime we find something enjoying/entertaining other than video games, parents some faults with it, its just their nature.

IrishMallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IrishMallard

[QUOTE="IrishMallard"]

To be honest there is more productive things you could be doing besides gaming like working out, dating,ect. It's important to keep a balance and can be difficult given how fun and addicting gaming is.

tsduv21

You know, I don't see the point. Many parents I know complain about video games, but not about the crap that's on TV and how many hours their children watch it.

Videogames shouldn't be a persons only hobby imo. While they are better than TV, movies, ect. TV and movies are far worse. It's important to limit their videogame use and have them get a workout so they don't become unhealthy. More and more kids are getting fat, while videogames are not completely to blame, they are partially. Remember the fat guy on the PC with pizza boxes all around from Hitman 2, there's a reason it felt good killing him.... If people just played video games all the time nothing would get done, no problems would be solved. I'm not saying videogaming is bad, it's just important not to let it be the only thing.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30204 Posts
I don't know. My dad seems to have a problem with computers in general. I've had times when I've spent several hours working on school work on my computer, then finished and started playing a game or browsing the Internet, and he'd kick me off the computer because he said I'd been on it too long. :?
Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

Dating = Sex

Sports = Injuries (that's mostly mom's though, don't think dad's gonna worry about that :P )

Music = Brainwashing (well it depends on what, but most parents were raised with Led Zeppelin and whatnot so everything nowadays is crap to them)

Face it, everytime we find something enjoying/entertaining other than video games, parents some faults with it, its just their nature.

-FlyLo-

I guess I had it lucky. My parents were never like that.

Hell, I went to tons of concerts with my mom. We saw White Zombie...Funkadelic...Red Hot Chili Peppers to name a few. They were especially supportive of anything I wanted to do with music. They put up with me bangin on my drums, band practices...

As far as sex went they were alright with it once I started gettin older (16-17 ish) as long as I was safe about...

They were fine with with drugs as long as I kept good grades and wasn't commin home drunk or stoned every night...

I feel like I was...usually responsible with the freedom I had. I was allowed to play all the video games I wanted but I never sat around for days and days. Forbidden fruit I guess...

RazerBlade13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RazerBlade13
Member since 2008 • 3822 Posts

People associate gaming with being anti-social. Most people think people who play games use it to replace human interaction. In my case, they are 100% right!

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

Pirate700
A lot of shootings have been pointed to gaming as the cause. :| You must not watch the news a lot. :P
-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -FlyLo-

[QUOTE="-FlyLo-"]

Dating = Sex

bebopoutlaw3gun

I guess I had it lucky. My parents were never like that.

Hell, I went to tons of concerts with my mom. We saw White Zombie...Funkadelic...Red Hot Chili Peppers to name a few. They were especially supportive of anything I wanted to do with music. They put up with me bangin on my drums, band practices...

As far as sex went they were alright with it once I started gettin older (16-17 ish) as long as I was safe about...

They were fine with with drugs as long as I kept good grades and wasn't commin home drunk or stoned every night...

I feel like I was...usually responsible with the freedom I had. I was allowed to play all the video games I wanted but I never sat around for days and days. Forbidden fruit I guess...

Well I mean I don't really play my music much at home, and my dad isn't really like that towards my music but he is towards the rap I listen to and all other rap pretty much. My parents are European so they let me drink, but drugs are something they want me to stay away from (which hasn't really been working). I don't think they'd care too much about sex, they're always just like "use protection". But they're the typical white parents who give me a curfue, I usually end up coming home later and they don't really mind. I really hate my dad's stance on M games, I mean he (My mom too, but I don't think she cares. My dad is that type of person who gets hissy about everything so I think my mom just sticks beside him.) is completely against them, but I have several at home. How you ask? I get my bro or his friends to buy them for me, and my parents don't even care. Yet they still won't let me buy them, even though my dad has let me watched oh so many R movies.
NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
Any activity involving an electronic screen is considered "mind-rotting", despite the fact that videogames improve hand-eye coordination, reflexes, surgical skills, general problem-solving, and memory.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Spending 5 hours continously doing anything for 5 hours straight is unhealthy. Aslong as you take regular breaks thoe.. there is no harm done.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
because n00bz cant understand our 1337 ways
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts
Any activity involving an electronic screen is considered "mind-rotting", despite the fact that videogames improve hand-eye coordination, reflexes, surgical skills, general problem-solving, and memory.NBSRDan
Well that isn't entirely true.. i play games an awful lot and hand eye co-ordination isn't the greatest, i have reflexes like a sloth and the memory of a fish. :P
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

Ahh parents, they always want whats best for us. But they do ever ask/care what we want? No.

All parents are the same my friend, they think that these games are going to brainwash us and turn us into idiots. That's my dads theory, but he's not one to talk :lol:

-FlyLo-
Lmao good one, i mean my dad did worser than me when he was a teenager, he was courting his professor/teachers to get good grades lol.
-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -FlyLo-
[QUOTE="-FlyLo-"]

Bloodseeker23
Lmao good one, i mean my dad did worser than me when he was a teenager, he was courting his professor/teachers to get good grades lol.

My dad's European, he was probably drunk off his ass a majority of his teenage life :lol:
SEANSEXYUNDIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 SEANSEXYUNDIES
Member since 2008 • 1489 Posts

because n00bz cant understand our 1337 waysxfactor19990

i lol'd

pugsy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pugsy44
Member since 2007 • 1682 Posts

[QUOTE="IrishMallard"]

-FlyLo-

Dating = Sex

This. But Led Zeppelin does rock.
ColonelRadec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ColonelRadec
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts
I find that more people accept gaming more that ever.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
[QUOTE="Bloodseeker23"][QUOTE="-FlyLo-"]

-FlyLo-

My dad's European, he was probably drunk off his ass a majority of his teenage life :lol:

Lool it's good to talk about dads in internet, make me feel less stupid for some reason. Hahaha
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

People associate gaming with being anti-social. Most people think people who play games use it to replace human interaction. In my case, they are 100% right!

RazerBlade13

Please tell me you're joking.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts

[QUOTE="tsduv21"]

[QUOTE="IrishMallard"]

IrishMallard

Videogames shouldn't be a persons only hobby imo. While they are better than TV, movies, ect. TV and movies are far worse. It's important to limit their videogame use and have them get a workout so they don't become unhealthy. More and more kids are getting fat, while videogames are not completely to blame, they are partially. Remember the fat guy on the PC with pizza boxes all around from Hitman 2, there's a reason it felt good killing him.... If people just played video games all the time nothing would get done, no problems would be solved. I'm not saying videogaming is bad, it's just important not to let it be the only thing.

But... TV has taught me more than some classes, and movies, if you choose good movies, can be as good as some of the better books for your brain (obviously not as good as the top tier, but that's most because of time contrsaints). The main thing is, do all things in moderation. Doing anything (almost) for an extended period of time is bad.

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
I just hate when adults ask kids why they play video games... I mean isn't it obvious? They're fun.... :lol: They make it seem like its so much more complicated than it really is.
Kuske_Vorpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kuske_Vorpal
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts

CORRECT. Moderation in all but soda... I think...

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Gaming is hated on because it is either something only fat, anti-social losers play or a tool that kids use to practice for when they go on a shooting rampage. That's the image gaming gets in the media, anyways. Really, though, gaming is just like any other type of entertainment, such movies, books, TV, music, etc. gaming can get addicting, and could send the wrong message and could make kids violent, but any sort of entertainment could do so; there have been violent songs and violent movies (there are plenty of movies more violent than games). And even if something wrong happpens due to a child killing due to a video game, it is not the game's fault, but the parent's fault for being irresponsible and allowing the kid to play the game that is clearly to mush for the child.

The image of gaming has improved, though it still could be much better.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

Do you honestly think reading a book isn't more productive than playing a video game?

KeizerHalil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KeizerHalil
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts

Because most of the people who game are **** nerds and have no life. THink about it, how many hot chicks game? not a lot :)

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts

Because most of the people who game are **** nerds and have no life. THink about it, how many hot chicks game? not a lot :)

KeizerHalil
Yea they're all busy talking to you...
Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

I could barely get at the video games when I was a kid; dad was always hogging it. He even got a PS3 a while ago and I don't even have one yet! XD

I think most parents who frown upon gaming do so because it's not something they grew up doing, and since a whole lot of them (especially as they grow older) seem to be convinced that the world has been going straight to hell since they were kids this obviously must conclude that video games are evil mind-bending time wasters.

Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Scarebaby

KeizerHalil

And you're doing... what, on a gaming forum? Just go have a looksee in the nearest member pic thread, I've seen some damn pretty ladies on this site alone.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

wii360gamer

They aren't hated. Your mom just wants you to get some more hobbies. Do something more productive.

Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Scarebaby

Do you honestly think reading a book isn't more productive than playing a video game?

yabbicoke

That depends on what book you're reading, no? For me there's more entertainment, sincerity and personal gain in playing tetris then in reading for example... say, the bible.

Oooooh hatereligioncommentlolololol

KeizerHalil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KeizerHalil
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts

[QUOTE="KeizerHalil"]

Scarebaby

And you're doing... what, on a gaming forum? Just go have a looksee in the nearest member pic thread, I've seen some damn pretty ladies on this site alone.

Yeah, but have you seen most ppl?

Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Scarebaby

Oh, so wether or not you're a nerdy loser is determined by how good looking you are? I'm willing to bet you've been failing since you were born then. Just for the hell of it. ^^

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Well, my parents hate gaming because:

• They think I'll get addicted to it (not true).
  • They think my grades will get lower (I blame my laziness when my grades go down, not video games)
  • They think I'll start mimicing (sp?) the characters in the game (Again, not true)
  • They think I want to live in the video game world and I'll treat life as some sort of fantasy world (Well video games are awesome and I have thought about how life in a video game would be :P But I know real life is real life and there is no super fast hedgehog or superhero plumber)

Usually really silly things, they just don't get video games and never will.

NatoKenichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NatoKenichi
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

Only older generations hate gaming.

There not used to it.

End of story.

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

Yah,my mom and dad are just the same,and i would consider my self to be a hardcore gamer!

But here is how i look at it,games,just like books or movies can be a work of art,it just depends what game you are playing.

If the game has a GREAT plot,than its just like a book,if it has GREAT cutscenes its just like a movie!

But,you know,i have to agree,too much of anything at a time is not good,be that reading,playing games or studying!