Why illegal drugs should STAY illegal.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#51 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

A marijuana user may experience pleasant sensations, colors and sounds may seem more intense, and time appears to pass very slowly. The user's mouth feels dry, and he or she may suddenly become very hungry and thirsty. His or her hands may tremble and grow cold. The euphoria passes after awhile, and then the user may feel sleepy or depressed. Occasionally, marijuana use produces anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Heavy marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form memories, recall events and shift attention from one thing to another.8,33 THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia, parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination of movement, and reaction time.11 Through its effects on the brain and body, marijuana intoxication can cause accidents. Studies show that approximately 6 to 11 percent of fatal accident victims test positive for THC. In many of these cases, alcohol is detected as well.34, 35, 36

• Impairs short-term memory
  • Impairs attention, judgment, and other cognitive functions
  • Impairs coordination and balance
  • Increases heart rate
Persistent (lasting longer than intoxication, but may not be permanent)
  • Impairs memory and learning skills
Long-term (cumulative, potentially permanent effects of chronic abuse)
  • Can lead to addiction****
  • Increases risk of chronic cough, bronchitis, and emphysema
  • Increases risk of cancer of the head, neck, and lungs

Is marijuana use addictive?

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they use the drug compulsively even though it often interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. According to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 21.6 million Americans aged 12 or older were ****fied with substance dependence or abuse (9.1 percent of the total population). Of the estimated 6.9 million Americans ****fied with dependence on or abuse of illicit drugs, 4.2 million were dependent on or abused marijuana.57 In 2002, 15 percent of people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their primary drug of abuse.58

Along with craving, withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop using the drug.49 People trying to quit report irritability, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety.59,60 They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately 1 week after they last used the drug.61

In addition to its addictive liability, research indicates that early exposure to marijuana can increase the likelihood of a lifetime of subsequent drug problems. A recent study of over 300 fraternal and identical twin pairs, who differed on whether or not they used marijuana before the age of 17, found that those who had used marijuana early had elevated rates of other drug use and drug problems later on, compared with their twins, who did not use marijuana before age 17. This study re-emphasizes the importance of primary prevention by showing that early drug initiation is associated with increased risk of later drug problems, and it provides more evidence for why preventing marijuana experimentation during adolescence could have an impact on preventing addiction.

Silver_Dragon17

1. That first paragraph there doesn't seem to sound like an anti-marijuana campaign really. I don't agree about the depression, anxiety, distrust, or panic. Fear just comes from fear of being caught.

2. Yes, it does affect your memory, but as made clear later on, it says it may not be permanent. And in fact it isn't permanent.

3. Marijuana is not addictive, physically or psychologically. Even daily users don't become addicted. They just use it a lot.

4. And that part about how 15% of drug rehab attendees were mostly pot smokers doesn't mean that pot was the only drug they did. They went for other drug problems, but pot was what they did most, not what they were addicted to.

Besides, some evidence for pro legalization and anti legalization can't really be proven. Both sides are at a stand still because we simply don't know everything about drugs. I don't care about heroin (bad), but all this about one of the least harmful illicit drugs isn't right.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts
[QUOTE="J-Man725"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="J-Man725"]It's the persons choice. If the law really cared about making harmful substances illegal, they should start with alcohol or cigarettes, much worse drugs than marijuana... They tax the drug that does some of the most harm, yet tell you that drugs like marijuana are the drugs that are bad for you, and are therefore illegal. bs..Silver_Dragon17

Could you prove that alcohol and tobacco products are worse than anything else? Because I'm starting to think that that is just a myth.

Have you ever once read in the paper or seen in the news that someone died from smoking pot? No. Yet everytime you turn on a tv or read the paper, there is something about a drunk driver slamming into someone and killing them, and tobacco killingthousands every year. The proof is there, it only remains to be seen.

That is not scientific proof.:| I REALLY think that is just a myth.

Myth? It's reality. Sure, there have been cases of people being in accidents under both conditions, but the effects of alcohol obviously have a much more devistating effect.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="killtactics"]ummmmm yes yes thats right.... maybe you should read up on how it became illegal in the first place... hint: it has nothing to do with health and everything to do with hating ppl that dont look like them.....CptJSparrow
That has no bearing on it being dangerous.

i was't talking about it being dangerous.... i was talking about the thing i quoted you for... way to change the subject..

I didn't change the subject. What I was saying to Belisarius-9 was sarcasm.:|

right i know... the funny thing is your sarcasm is true
CheddarLimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 CheddarLimbo
Member since 2006 • 3909 Posts

I'll be honest, I'm not reading all that. Drugs are bad. I got it.

But you know what? I'm tired of protecting people from themselves. Deadly narcotics have been illegal for decades, but that's not stopping people from using them. All its doing is tying up government resources trying to enforce the laws. You don't have to tell me that these drugs are illegal for me to know that they're harmful. It's common sense in most cases. People know these narcotics are bad for them, but they take them anyway because the DON'T CARE. If they don't care, why should I? If you want to kill yourself with narcotics, or alcohol, or cigarettes, or hamburgers, go for it. I'd just as soon start taxing it all and maybe generating some revenue for the city and state instead of wasting money trying to fight what is obviously the human inclination to self-destruct.

Bottom line - you can't protect people from themselves for ever. At some point, you're just going to have to cull the herd and let the weak people move on down the road.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="J-Man725"]

Have you ever once read in the paper or seen in the news that someone died from smoking pot? No. Yet everytime you turn on a tv or read the paper, there is something about a drunk driver slamming into someone and killing them, and tobacco killingthousands every year. The proof is there, it only remains to be seen.

J-Man725

For the record....people high on marijuana have been involved in car accidents as well. It's driving while impaired that is the problem in this case....and NEITHER should be done.:|

I realize that it is dangerous in either case, and should never be done. But it is very obvious that accidents are much more frequent in those who are under the influence of alcohol. I would never suggest driving while under the influence of any drug.

You were singling out one part of driving under the influence. Which is why I called you on it. Stating that marijuana should be legalized because of alcohol driven accidents is not a good argument IMO. You never stated that driving under the influence of anything but alcohol was a problem. Bit biased and a false conclusion.

Blandassname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Blandassname
Member since 2004 • 794 Posts

... why do I get the feeling the topic poster would consider Reefer Madness a valid enough source to post?

Long story short, marijuana isn't unsafe. It has never killed anyone, nor has it ever angered a person into killing someone else. There are artificial sweeteners on the market that are more dangerous than marijuana (which isn't saying much, now that I think about it).

In the end, what really matters is that, regardless of danger, the government has no business telling us what we can and can't do to ourselves.

ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
Of course marijuana has adverse health affects. The simple fact is, if you inhale a bunch of smoke regularly, it screws with your lungs. Add to that the simple fact that marijuana really does cause brain decay, and it's not a pretty sight. However, just because it's dangerous, doesn't mean the government has the right to ban it. Hell, cigarettes and alcohol are legal, and they both have adverse health effects. A person should have a right to use whatever they want on their own property. Laws should be made or ammended to include the influence of marijuana on crimes, and if a person is caught driving on public roads while high or marijuana, they should be nailed to a cross. But, the fact remains: people should have the right to use whatever drug they want, and the government should stop wasting resources on a War on Drugs that ultimately fails, and instead embrace it and tax the hell out of it.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="killtactics"]ummmmm yes yes thats right.... maybe you should read up on how it became illegal in the first place... hint: it has nothing to do with health and everything to do with hating ppl that dont look like them.....killtactics
That has no bearing on it being dangerous.

i was't talking about it being dangerous.... i was talking about the thing i quoted you for... way to change the subject..

I didn't change the subject. What I was saying to Belisarius-9 was sarcasm.:|

right i know... the funny thing is your sarcasm is true

You think that the danger of marijuana had no bearing whatsoever in the government ruling?
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts

I'll be honest, I'm not reading all that. Drugs are bad. I got it.

But you know what? I'm tired of protecting people from themselves. Deadly narcotics have been illegal for decades, but that's not stopping people from using them. All its doing is tying up government resources trying to enforce the laws. You don't have to tell me that these drugs are illegal for me to know that they're harmful. It's common sense in most cases. People know these narcotics are bad for them, but they take them anyway because the DON'T CARE. If they don't care, why should I? If you want to kill yourself with narcotics, or alcohol, or cigarettes, or hamburgers, go for it. I'd just as soon start taxing it all and maybe generating some revenue for the city and state instead of wasting money trying to fight what is obviously the human inclination to self-destruct.

Bottom line - you can't protect people from themselves for ever. At some point, you're just going to have to cull the herd and let the weak people move on down the road.

CheddarLimbo
thank you!!! thats what im talking about the gov is't our baby sitter...although i still dont think everything should be legal. also if the government does "care" then don't pick and chose... right now way more ppl die from eating too many burgers then most drugs.... do i see a burger king ban? no
crowleyjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 crowleyjohn
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

I've had about enough of you kids with ZERO life experience shoving statistics at us. Is that all your'e good for? YOu havent experienced anything yet. You know nothing, you're arrogant without wisdom. You've probably never tried marijuana once in your life, and I almost guarantee you drink.

Let me tell you something. Someone very close to me died a year ago. They were a serious pot smoker for 30+ years. They were a brilliant man, a wise man, a funny man, a very together man with a very good job who supported a family.

They also happened to drink for 15 years. Can you guess which drug they died from?

I'm so disgusted with you by now silver dragon that I could scream. There is no way to express my disgust for your ramblings about Marijuana vs Alcohol. I don't give a crap about your statistics, someone VERY close to me was, WAS living proof that alcohol's negative effects far outweighs that negative effects of Marijuana, FAR exceeds it. He never suffered any of the things listed in your propaganda infested statistics.

I suggest you grow up some, get some life experience and get a little wiser before you start preaching. You're done spouting off about Marijuana vs Alcohol just to prove you're right. Let it go son. Statistics aren't the end all be all of proof. Try watching someone you love dearly die over the course of a year because their liver was destroyed by alcohol, talk to the families who've lost loved ones from drunk drivers, (how many people have gotten into accidents stoned bright guy?). Talk to the girl who was burned to death but lived and now looks like a corpse because of a drunk driver. Talk to people living with alcoholics, beaten by them, neglected by them.

I'm so furious with you silver dragon I don't even know how to express it. If that was your goal in this and that other thread, to piss people off, you've more than succeeded, congratulations. Call me back when you're an adult and have more to go on than some sketchy statistics.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

crowleyjohn

Conversely I've had people I was close to start on marijuana and graduate to harder drugs for more of the "high" that marijuana no longer provided. They ruined their life....lost family, jobs, and did jailtime.

I've also known people....wasn't close to them but knew them....that committed suicide due to drug addiction.

Responsible alcohol consumption is fine.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 J-Man725
[QUOTE="J-Man725"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="J-Man725"]

LJS9502_basic

For the record....people high on marijuana have been involved in car accidents as well. It's driving while impaired that is the problem in this case....and NEITHER should be done.:|

I realize that it is dangerous in either case, and should never be done. But it is very obvious that accidents are much more frequent in those who are under the influence of alcohol. I would never suggest driving while under the influence of any drug.

You were singling out one part of driving under the influence. Which is why I called you on it. Stating that marijuana should be legalized because of alcohol driven accidents is not a good argument IMO. You never stated that driving under the influence of anything but alcohol was a problem. Bit biased and a false conclusion.

It wasn't my intention to make it sound as if I believe that driving under the influence of anything other than alcohol is not dangerous. I should have made it more clear that driving under the influence of anything that could severely damage your judgement is a problem, and I thank you for making that more clear, because it wasn't my intent to only single out alcohol as the only problem.

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63 TirOrn
Member since 2005 • 1828 Posts

nice copy and pasting. It still doesn't show the point that Pot has yet to kill any one while Tobacco and Alochol kill tens of thousands each year.. It shouldn't be illegal because its OVERFLOWING OUR PRISONS. We have more people in prison then ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD.. We are being forced to early release violent offenders as well as multiple other more serious crimes over drug offenders..

Hell there has been quite a few studies givign evidence that pot is actually beneficial to you in certain amounts.. Not to mention it is a very effective agent in the medical field.. Easy for you to say no one should have it when your NOT IN AGONIZING pain...:roll:

sSubZerOo

You aren't in agonizing pain until you think you are fine to drive when you are high on Mary or Pot or C. Cocaine. That's when you end up with either no limbs left to speak of, or you're dead from having been in a car accident.... Who said it CAUSED pain to begin with? It's the idea that you AREN'T INCAPACITATED that causes you to experience agonizing pain. Idiots that are high on drugs obviously aren't healthy enough to understand that they are simply not well enough to handle everyday tasks, and they end up killing themselves and/or others in the process.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Shiggums

I've had about enough of you kids with ZERO life experience shoving statistics at us. Is that all your'e good for? YOu havent experienced anything yet. You know nothing, you're arrogant without wisdom. You've probably never tried marijuana once in your life, and I almost guarantee you drink.

Let me tell you something. Someone very close to me died a year ago. They were a serious pot smoker for 30+ years. They were a brilliant man, a wise man, a funny man, a very together man with a very good job who supported a family.

They also happened to drink for 15 years. Can you guess which drug they died from?

I'm so disgusted with you by now silver dragon that I could scream. There is no way to express my disgust for your ramblings about Marijuana vs Alcohol. I don't give a crap about your statistics, someone VERY close to me was, WAS living proof that alcohol's negative effects far outweighs that negative effects of Marijuana, FAR exceeds it. He never suffered any of the things listed in your propaganda infested statistics.

I suggest you grow up some, get some life experience and get a little wiser before you start preaching. You're done spouting off about Marijuana vs Alcohol just to prove you're right. Let it go son. Statistics aren't the end all be all of proof. Try watching someone you love dearly die over the course of a year because their liver was destroyed by alcohol, talk to the families who've lost loved ones from drunk drivers, (how many people have gotten into accidents stoned bright guy?). Talk to the girl who was burned to death but lived and now looks like a corpse because of a drunk driver. Talk to people living with alcoholics, beaten by them, neglected by them.

I'm so furious with you silver dragon I don't even know how to express it. If that was your goal in this and that other thread, to piss people off, you've more than succeeded, congratulations. Call me back when you're an adult and have more to go on than some sketchy statistics.

crowleyjohn

I second this one. Thank you for putting into words the thoughts of everyone with knowledge on the subject, crowleyjohn!

crowleyjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 crowleyjohn
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

[QUOTE="crowleyjohn"] LJS9502_basic

Conversely I've had people I was close to start on marijuana and graduate to harder drugs for more of the "high" that marijuana no longer provided. They ruined their life....lost family, jobs, and did jailtime.

That isn't the point genius. Did the Marijuana ITSELF cause them to die? THE MARIJUANA?! Can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was marijuana that lead them to more severe drugs and not their own addictive personality? I can assure you the doctor proved beyond a doubt it was alcohol that killed my loved one.

There is no proof anywhere that marijuana itself, the drug ITSELF is a gateway drug. It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Let me just tell you I literally know probably 15-20 people that smoke marijuana, know them well. I know about 40 or more people well enough to know they smoke marijuana and dont touch any other drug. Never have. Not even alcohol. That whole gateway drug crap is such a crock, such propaganda. Keep believing it though if you want, if that makes you feel better.

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 TirOrn
[QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

A marijuana user may experience pleasant sensations, colors and sounds may seem more intense, and time appears to pass very slowly. The user's mouth feels dry, and he or she may suddenly become very hungry and thirsty. His or her hands may tremble and grow cold. The euphoria passes after awhile, and then the user may feel sleepy or depressed. Occasionally, marijuana use produces anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Heavy marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form memories, recall events and shift attention from one thing to another.8,33 THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia, parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination of movement, and reaction time.11 Through its effects on the brain and body, marijuana intoxication can cause accidents. Studies show that approximately 6 to 11 percent of fatal accident victims test positive for THC. In many of these cases, alcohol is detected as well.34, 35, 36

• Increases heart rate

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they use the drug compulsively even though it often interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. According to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 21.6 million Americans aged 12 or older were ****fied with substance dependence or abuse (9.1 percent of the total population). Of the estimated 6.9 million Americans ****fied with dependence on or abuse of illicit drugs, 4.2 million were dependent on or abused marijuana.57 In 2002, 15 percent of people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their primary drug of abuse.58

Along with craving, withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop using the drug.49 People trying to quit report irritability, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety.59,60 They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately 1 week after they last used the drug.61

In addition to its addictive liability, research indicates that early exposure to marijuana can increase the likelihood of a lifetime of subsequent drug problems. A recent study of over 300 fraternal and identical twin pairs, who differed on whether or not they used marijuana before the age of 17, found that those who had used marijuana early had elevated rates of other drug use and drug problems later on, compared with their twins, who did not use marijuana before age 17. This study re-emphasizes the importance of primary prevention by showing that early drug initiation is associated with increased risk of later drug problems, and it provides more evidence for why preventing marijuana experimentation during adolescence could have an impact on preventing addiction.

Shiggums

1. That first paragraph there doesn't seem to sound like an anti-marijuana campaign really. I don't agree about the depression, anxiety, distrust, or panic. Fear just comes from fear of being caught.

2. Yes, it does affect your memory, but as made clear later on, it says it may not be permanent. And in fact it isn't permanent.

3. Marijuana is not addictive, physically or psychologically. Even daily users don't become addicted. They just use it a lot.

4. And that part about how 15% of drug rehab attendees were mostly pot smokers doesn't mean that pot was the only drug they did. They went for other drug problems, but pot was what they did most, not what they were addicted to.

Besides, some evidence for pro legalization and anti legalization can't really be proven. Both sides are at a stand still because we simply don't know everything about drugs. I don't care about heroin (bad), but all this about one of the least harmful illicit drugs isn't right.

Oh, would you please be so kind to establish what the term ADDICTION means then? Daily users of any kind of drug usually just deny their addiction. And since you then obviously know so much of it, you must either be a doctor, or addicted yourself. Or you are like the poster who gets their information from Wikipedia. Very reliable. :roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="crowleyjohn"] crowleyjohn

That isn't the point genius. Did the Marijuana ITSELF cause them to die? THE MARIJUANA?! Can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was marijuana that lead them to more severe drugs and not their own addictive personality? I can assure you the doctor proved beyond a doubt it was alcohol that killed my loved one.

There is no proof anywhere that marijuana itself, the drug ITSELF is a gateway drug. It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Let me just tell you I literally know probably 15-20 people that smoke marijuana, know them well. I know about 40 or more people well enough to know they smoke marijuana and dont touch any other drug. Never have. Not even alcohol. That whole gateway drug crap is such a crock, such propaganda. Keep believing it though if you want, if that makes you feel better.

I am a genius...yes. Thanks for noticing. They seem to think it was the gateway drug for them. In lieu of anything but their word...I'm going with their word.

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. Not everyone who drinks abuses the alcohol. Way to post in a fair and unbalanced way.:roll:

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts
Marijuana is clearly not a gateway drug. Any place that has legalized it has seen a large drop in the use of all other drugs. This statistic alone proves that it isn't a gateway drug whatsoever.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

Marijuana is clearly not a gateway drug. Any place that has legalized it has seen a large drop in the use of all other drugs. This statistic alone proves that it isn't a gateway drug whatsoever.Mumbles527

You'd have to ask the users...I know what they say...and yes, some people seek more of a high and move on. That's a fact, doesn't mean everyone does...but you can't say they don't either.;)

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 J-Man725

I am a genius...yes. Thanks for noticing. LJS9502_basic

LJS...you know how to put the hurtin' on someone in a debate..i'll give you that :P

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Shiggums
[QUOTE="Shiggums"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

• Increases heart rate

TirOrn

Oh, would you please be so kind to establish what the term ADDICTION means then? Daily users of any kind of drug usually just deny their addiction. And since you then obviously know so much of it, you must either be a doctor, or addicted yourself. Or you are like the poster who gets their information from Wikipedia. Very reliable. :roll:

addiction is when someone becomes adjusted to some foreign substance that they need it to function on a frequent basis(drugs like heroin or cocaine i can understand, but not marijuana). I hope that helps a little. Daily users may end up going a day or two without pot perfectly fine, no side effects or problems. Are they addicts? No. And I'm not a doctor, addict or wikipedia user either. Don't go slamming people with different viewpoints. Pfff. Waste of energy typing this...

maximusmmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 maximusmmii
Member since 2004 • 8561 Posts
[QUOTE="killtactics"]

hurrrrah for one sided scientific biased......Remember when pot made you murder your parents?

Silver_Dragon17

Did you even read where I got that from? It was as unbiased as it gets.:|

as unbiased as it gets? do you realize that you posted information from an organization whose sole purpose is to stop people from using drugs?

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TirOrn
[QUOTE="TirOrn"][QUOTE="Shiggums"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

• Increases heart rate

Shiggums

addiction is when someone becomes adjusted to some foreign substance that they need it to function on a frequent basis(drugs like heroin or cocaine i can understand, but not marijuana). I hope that helps a little. Daily users may end up going a day or two without pot perfectly fine, no side effects or problems. Are they addicts? No. And I'm not a doctor, addict or wikipedia user either. Don't go slamming people with different viewpoints. Pfff. Waste of energy typing this...

By the way, sarcasm is what I live by. I was pointing out that when you say a user can use it everyday with no side effects, and he can quit whenever he wants to, you begin to sound like a nicotine addict.

If you are using a foreign substance(marijuana is included under this banner) on a regular basis for years on end, there are adverse side-effects both short-term and long-term. Of these, an UNNATURAL high is a short term side effect. An unnatural high is also considered to be one of the main factors leading to INCAPACITATION, if only mentally. Short-term side effects affect the brain adversely,leading to long-term side-effects, leading to tolerance, no matter what the foreign substance.Finally, the drug user is considered a drug ADDICT. The relapse time for marijuana is naturally longer as it is producedin nature, so an addict can go much longer without the sunstance in his body if need be.

Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts
I like walls of text.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
If it holds any water, I smoked pot from 9th grade all the way to the end of my sophmore year of college. I quickly cut down and eventually quit all together because I realized the effects of it. It took me a very long time to realize this, because I too was one of those people who thought all these statistics and whatnot were bogus stats made up by the govt to stop us from having fun. I was very wrong. Pot makes you lazy, it makes you stupid, and you won't notice it's effects until you quit for a few months and notice the change for yourself.

As for it not being a gateway drug, it is. I've done everything from exstacy, to shrooms, to nitrous, hash, opium, etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't require you to inject stuff into your bloodstream. Luckily, I have always been one to know my limits and had only done them to "try out" and never moved onto becoming addicted to those.

If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
See, do you realize how much drugs fund crime though? Without illegal drugs, Charlie Luciani couldn't have dealt heroin, the Crips and bloods wouldn't be dealing crack, there wouldn't be huge cartels that murder over it, the only thing funding them would be extortion, kidnapping and robbery, be legalizing it, they're helping criminals, honestly, do you think wiseguys were HAPPY when prohibition ended? No, they weren't, they just lost their strongest business. Gambling, prostitution, drugs, this kind of stuff being in control of legit organizations and not murderers would mean that people like the Cosa Nostra, the Crips, bloods, all of that, would have a huge major blow. Racketeering is one of the Mafias strongest points, did you know that in 06' a Gambino crew in Ozone park Queens was arrested for a 30 mil a year gambling organization. By making these things legit, they'd have less to kill over, they'd be into petty crimes and nothing more, a bunch of chop shops and extorted business(Problem there however is manpower, they probably wouldn't have the man power to actually, "protect", a business. By making illegal products illegal, it's giving the criminals a business. We're letting the five families in New York, the gangs in South Central LA, and all thsoe other people, become business men, but, if the only thing they could do is petty crimes, they'd be nothing but soldiers, they'd have no business, and they'd ultimatly lose their influence. And yes, the Italian-American Mafia in New York still dominates over Irish, blacks, hispanics, and the jews. We're funding them. And even the lesser powerful criminals are getting some business.
SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

First off it looks like all you did was copy and paste an unpleasant huge wall of text

secondly there is truly no reason to keep weed illegal

thirdly do you know why weed was made illegal in the first place? It was to get rid of Mexican immigrants that grew it if weed was illegal then the government guessed they would leave and go back to Mexico

aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:|
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 wemhim
I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:| aaaaarrrrggggg
Actually, it takes quite a bit to get high, a lot of time on TV and movies they exaggerate, and probably young people to act cool. Same with beer though.
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Shiggums

If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.rimnet00

People can still go on to lead successful lives while being marijuana smokers. It happens. And marijuana is a social drug. Users have a social life, and though it is with other users most of the time, it's still a social life. You could still get your degree, you'd have more than a few friends, and you must be the worst "stoner" if all you do when high is watch tv all day. Nobody does that.

aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 aaaaarrrrggggg

[QUOTE="aaaaarrrrggggg"]I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:| wemhim
Actually, it takes quite a bit to get high, a lot of time on TV and movies they exaggerate, and probably young people to act cool. Same with beer though.

People don't always drink beer to get drunk, from my understanding they drink it in moderation. With pot, the amount of people who smoke it to get high, would be in a much larger percentage than those who drink alcohol.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 wemhim

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]
If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.Shiggums

People can still go on to lead successful lives while being marijuana smokers. It happens. And marijuana is a social drug. Users have a social life, and though it is with other users most of the time, it's still a social life. You could still get your degree, you'd have more than a few friends, and you must be the worst "stoner" if all you do when high is watch tv all day. Nobody does that.

But they do it on TV, so that makes it true dude, TV IS a better source than real life ya know? But seriously, I don't have a life, and I don't even smoke(I have, but don't actually go and do it).
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Shiggums

I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:| aaaaarrrrggggg

1 beer isn't equivalent to 1 joint. 1 joint = several beers, or other drinks (idk). But to make that comparison? C'mon!

aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 aaaaarrrrggggg

[QUOTE="aaaaarrrrggggg"]I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:| Shiggums

1 beer isn't equivalent to 1 joint. 1 joint = several beers, or other drinks (idk). But to make that comparison? C'mon!

What's your purpose when drinking alchohal? It's not always to get drunk....

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shiggums
[QUOTE="Shiggums"]

[QUOTE="aaaaarrrrggggg"]I'll make it short. You drink a beer, your fine. You smoke a joint.....:| aaaaarrrrggggg

What's your purpose when drinking alchohal? It's not always to get drunk....

Well, what other purpose do people have when drinking alcohol? Methinks getting drunk is all it's for...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LJS9502_basic

Well, what other purpose do people have when drinking alcohol? Methinks getting drunk is all it's for...

Shiggums

To have a drink. One beer doesn't get anyone drunk....unless they are a total newb.:roll:

aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 aaaaarrrrggggg

Shiggums

That is mistaken. Most of the time when people do drink alcohol, it's conventionally, and only a couple of beers at a time. You drink some whine at a party, drunk. Have a few beers with your friend, drunk. have a glass of smirnoff to calm your nerves, drunk. It's only the people who go to bars and parties mainly that get drunk, and not all of them even get drunk. Well...what LJS said...

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 rimnet00
[QUOTE="Shiggums"]

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]
If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.wemhim

But they do it on TV, so that makes it true dude, TV IS a better source than real life ya know? But seriously, I don't have a life, and I don't even smoke(I have, but don't actually go and do it).

Excuse me, but I was basing this off my actual experiances, not just what they show on TV. Shiggums, no offense dude, but you are only 16. Wait until you go to college and meet up with other people who don't have parental supervision anymore. You will find a lot of stoners who pride themselves in their collections of DVDs, their DVR boxs, and their multiple kinds of Headies (Bud/Pot which is of the highest calibiar and usually named - not that crap they sell you in HS).

TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 TirOrn

If it holds any water, I smoked pot from 9th grade all the way to the end of my sophmore year of college. I quickly cut down and eventually quit all together because I realized the effects of it. It took me a very long time to realize this, because I too was one of those people who thought all these statistics and whatnot were bogus stats made up by the govt to stop us from having fun. I was very wrong. Pot makes you lazy, it makes you stupid, and you won't notice it's effects until you quit for a few months and notice the change for yourself.

As for it not being a gateway drug, it is. I've done everything from exstacy, to shrooms, to nitrous, hash, opium, etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't require you to inject stuff into your bloodstream. Luckily, I have always been one to know my limits and had only done them to "try out" and never moved onto becoming addicted to those.

If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.rimnet00

Shiggums, would you look at that... I guess you CAN get addicted, not that he did, but regardless. Here's a first hand victim of what I mentioned before.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Shiggums"]

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

Excuse me, but I was basing this off my actual experiances, not just what they show on TV. Shiggums, no offense dude, but you are only 16. Wait until you go to college and meet up with other people who don't have parental supervision anymore. You will find a lot of stoners who pride themselves in their collections of DVDs, their DVR boxs, and their multiple kinds of Headies (Bud/Pot which is of the highest calibiar and usually named - not that crap they sell you in HS).

Well, okay, sorry. It's just I naturally live like that, so I would expect them to not live like that.....? I don't know. But anyways, I still think it should be legal, if someone wants to do that, do it. I even believe in the right to die, so I certainly believe in the right to get high.
TirOrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TirOrn
:|

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]
If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.Shiggums

So now you're encouraging drugs??? WTF!?!?!?!?! :|

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 rimnet00

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]If it holds any water, I smoked pot from 9th grade all the way to the end of my sophmore year of college. I quickly cut down and eventually quit all together because I realized the effects of it. It took me a very long time to realize this, because I too was one of those people who thought all these statistics and whatnot were bogus stats made up by the govt to stop us from having fun. I was very wrong. Pot makes you lazy, it makes you stupid, and you won't notice it's effects until you quit for a few months and notice the change for yourself.

If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.TirOrn

Shiggums, would you look at that... I guess you CAN get addicted, not that he did, but regardless. Here's a first hand victim of what I mentioned before.

People who claim marajuana is not addictive are usually high school kids trying to justify their extra curricular activity. The fact of the matter is, most pot smokers who are older will tell you to your face that they are addicted to pot and cannot quit. I was addicted, until I managed to quit. My roommate is addicted and has told me and others that he is, furthermore he has also wondered whether he ever will be able to stop. My other buddy is the exact same way, along with a bunch of others I have gone to school with.

The addiction gets so bad that some people can't even go to sleep without taking a hit. They can't study without getting high. They revolve their lives around getting high, just like people who are obese revolve their lives around what and when they are going to eat next.

How much does my buddy spend on weed? He spents about $300 a month on headies. In fact, he was actually arrested with 5 lbs of weed a few years back. Him and his other roommate were trying to sell it to break even on the money they spent on weed in the first place, along with having extra cash on hand. This kid was literally a nerd back in high school and can't even watch scary movies, even at the age of 23, yet he went as far as to selling weed in order to fund his addiction.

Also, chances are, as a high school, you are probably smoking some dirty shwag. Which is likely why you don't notice the addictive factor as much.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 rimnet00
[QUOTE="Shiggums"]

LJS9502_basic

To have a drink. One beer doesn't get anyone drunk....unless they are a total newb.:roll:

I lol'ed

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Mumbles527

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]If it holds any water, I smoked pot from 9th grade all the way to the end of my sophmore year of college. I quickly cut down and eventually quit all together because I realized the effects of it. It took me a very long time to realize this, because I too was one of those people who thought all these statistics and whatnot were bogus stats made up by the govt to stop us from having fun. I was very wrong. Pot makes you lazy, it makes you stupid, and you won't notice it's effects until you quit for a few months and notice the change for yourself.

If I didn't quit smoking weed, I would have not graduated with a Computer Science degree. I would not have had the social life I have now. I would instead have some asshat degree and just a few 'friends' who I smoked pot with and watched tv with all day long. F that.TirOrn

I've done just about everything there is to do also. But how does that make it weed's fault? Hell, while we're going around randomly accusing things of being gateway drugs, the first time I smoked weed was when I was really drunk. How can anyone say that they never would have had a coke or any other hard drug addiction if it weren't for weed? The actual statistics prove that weed is not a gateway drug. Just because a few people here have done other drugs, doesn't mean that huge amounts of statistics have been proven false. And by the way, even with everything I do, I still do well in school, maintain a steady job and an active social life, and don't find myself to be any more lazy than usual.
Avatar image for MasterChief1013
MasterChief1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96 MasterChief1013
Member since 2004 • 7019 Posts
huge wall of test i've probably read by some anti-druggies. and all i can say is.. it's all b.s. alcohol does nearly all of the above yet its legal.
SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

I see no reason for weed to be illegal even IF it is addictive which I truly dont believe it is.

I mean some one can become an alcoholic and drink them self's to death you cant od on pot and die it seems foolish to keep it illegal.

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mumbles527
[QUOTE="TirOrn"]

People who claim marajuana is not addictive are usually a high school hit trying to justify their extra curricular activity. The fact of the matter is, most pot smokers who are older will tell you to your face that they are addicted to pot and cannot quit. I was addicted, until I managed to quit. My roommate is addicted and has told me and others that he is, furthermore he has also wondered whether he ever will be able to stop. My other buddy is the exact same way, along with a bunch of others I have gone to school with.

The addiction gets so bad that some people can't even go to sleep without taking a hit. They can't study without getting high. They revolve their lives around getting high, just like people who are obese revolve their lives around what and when they are going to eat next.

How much does my buddy spend on weed? He spents about $300 a month on headies. In fact, he was actually arrested with 5 lbs of weed a few years back. Him and his other roommate were trying to sell it to break even on the money they spent on weed in the first place, along with having extra cash on hand. This kid was literally a nerd back in high school and can't even watch scary movies, even at the age of 23, yet he went as far as to selling weed in order to fund his addiction.

...$300 a month? And you're talking about it like its a lot? I wish I spent that little on the crap. I'm sorry, but his addiction isn't anywhere near as serious as you're playing it off to be if he gets that little.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 wemhim
It sounds to me like both the pro and anti druggies are just annoying. Some have bad experiences. However, some of you have A+ average. However, some of you don't do it and don't like it. However, why do you care if people damage their life? Does it effect you? So all in all, who cares wha others do, it's their body. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 rimnet00

Using the alchohol argument to justify marajuana isn't going to help push your views. Alcohol has been ingrained into our society as something that is acceptable. This has been true for hundreds of years, hense trying to illegalize it would be near impossible. Remember what prohabition and how that turned out?

Marajuana on the other hand is condoned by our society and has never been ingrained into it like alcohol is. Hense saying weed should be legal just because alsochol is, is frankly speaking is apples and oranges.