Why havent Canada, South Africa, Austrailia, New Zealand...

• 199 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

error_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 error_202
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts

been as successful as the U.S.A?

Forgive me for not knowing much but im from the UK and have been thinking bout this for a while. All these new world countries were colonised around the same time, some even bigger than the US, why havent they been even kind of close to the US in terms of success?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
The US was chosen to be like this, period.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Successful in what sense?
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Canada's pretty successful...
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Canada's pretty successful...bluezy
Yeah, and I'd like to see some Yank's try to inhabit Nunavut :lol:
gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts
Because the USA is older and has more natural resources.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Of those countries, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are all very successful. The US just has a bigger population base, but the standard of living is quite high in each of those countries. The more interesting thing that you should note - as you are from the UK - is that all of those countries plus the US were English colonies.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
america had massive oil reserves, not so much the other countries. also it used to have a freaking sweet constitution
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts

Around 75% of Australia is borderline inhospitable; also, what do you mean by successful? Most of the countries you listed have pretty much the same general standards of living and prosperity.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
South Africa and New Zeland had historically little trade, which implied less refinements. As for the specific case of S.A. Britain and other more developed countries made (and probably still make) the country their backyard, through the force of arms, which slowed down the "development". Canada is a somewhat newly formed country, and if we take into account the extreme climate (agriculture, the first step of any civilization is impaired greatly) we get a better idea of why they arent so developed (although their inside formation is well formed and they are a 1st world country...). Possibly the biggest part of US's success (economy and expansion wise) comes from their militar and war politic (they are very active militarly and that is perhaps the most profitable activity in the world), which is something the previously mentioned do not have.
Nkemjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nkemjo
Member since 2005 • 585 Posts

Someone needs to stop drinking the old USA cooll-aid. They are all comparable to each other nowadays.

error_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 error_202

Sucess in terms of military might, influence on the world (politcs etc) and the biggest economy in the world.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

Canada will soon reign supreme when natural resources in other parts of the world start to dwindle.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... Because those countries are not the United States? Each one has different environments, politics, social issues, natural dieasters.. Etc etc..
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

Seriously? australia is mostly desert, south africa had the wrong european settlers to native population ratio, new-zealand is too small and canada is too cold. considering that settlement began much earlier in the united states than most of the above, the US has more natural resources(fresh water and fertile land are also considerable resources)and much more people immigrated to it's territories (due to all of the above)-makes for a simple answer.

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

I maybe wrong but the USA has more people living here.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Maybe due to the structure of their government..or the way their system works...i don't know..

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Location and circumstance...mix of resources, climate, people/cultures, and other external factors
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, Canada
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grape_of_wrath
Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, CanadaF1_2004
As the TC already stated-political clout and military prowess counts more than a thousand vancouvers.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 F1_2004
[QUOTE="F1_2004"]Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, Canadagrape_of_wrath
As the TC already stated-political clout and military prowess counts more than a thousand vancouvers.

Didn't see that. But that sounds like faulty logic. I am not enjoying my country's military, I am enjoying my quality of life. I'm sure if Canada started taking away government funding and pouring billions into the military, and start making babies like crazy & overpopulating our country so we can be a massive nation with a huge military & economy, we would approach much higher levels of "success" as defined here. Quality of life would plummet, and there's no question that I'd much rather have it the way it is now.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, Canadagrape_of_wrath

This isn't the 19th century, military power in a single nation hardly means anything now in the global arena.

Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts

the USA has batman

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grape_of_wrath
[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"][QUOTE="F1_2004"]Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, CanadaF1_2004

Didn't see that. But that sounds like faulty logic. I am not enjoying my country's military, I am enjoying my quality of life. I'm sure if Canada started taking away government funding and pouring billions into the military, and start making babies like crazy & overpopulating our country so we can be a massive nation with a huge military & economy, we would approach much higher levels of "success" as defined here. Quality of life would plummet, and there's no question that I'd much rather have it the way it is now.

Firstly -i'm not too sure about the "If we wanted" theory. secondly-if true,this only applies today. the fact that canada has too much dead,inhospitable areas and not enough fertile,comfortable land(which means comfortable temperatures,as well) would have stopped any parallel universe version of it from becoming a modern day super-power. Thirdly-your enjoyment probably means nothing-it has much more to do with what your collective canadian wills can accomplish by tommorrow(The US can destroy the world by noon,for example, cause a financial global disaster or bring down a regime in another country).
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The US was chosen to be like this, period.GazaAli
By God.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 grape_of_wrath

[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"][QUOTE="F1_2004"]Top 5 North American cities ranked by quality of life Vancouver, Canada Toronto, Canada Ottawa, Canada Montreal, Canada Calgary, CanadasSubZerOo

This isn't the 19th century, military power in a single nation hardly means anything now in the global arena.

military power still means everything. military power means political clout. and influence is everything-there's a reason why the united states does everything it wishes in the global arena. there's no difference between the 19th century,the 12th centuy and the 21st century-as long as the world works the way it does-countries as representations of a group of people it won't change,either. wake me up when the global revolution comes.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1_2004
Thirdly-your enjoyment probably means nothing-it has much more to do with what your collective canadian wills can accomplish by tommorrow(The US can destroy the world by noon,for example, cause a financial global disaster or bring down a regime in another country). grape_of_wrath
lol you're going to have to explain this one to me. The US can cock up the world easily (and over the last few years they certainly tried their best to do so), but they can't make it better for themselves. Canada can live the better life (and is doing so), but can't ruin the world if they tried. I believe I'll gladly accept that compromise, thank you very much.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Canada has a pretty solid economy and can only get better with all the natural resources, the quality of living in most of those countries are higher than that of the US, the education system in almost all of the countries listed above are also higher than that of the US by ALOT. However if you want to look at it in a military and political sense, the US has a higher population and is more of a military complex style Country so their military is larger and well funded.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Canada has harsher climate then the US and as a result crops at that time had a hard time surviving and this made it rather unattractive for settlers. South Africa or Africa in general was devided up between several european nations who used the Africans as slave worker and basically had them extract all the valuable natural resources to the nation who owned the land, eventually they ditched the continent and left it. Something that caused several wars and suffering and who's ripples are still seen today. Australia was originally used as the Island where the British sent prisoners, they eventually established a community there but again the Country got a very rough climate. It all boils down to the countries national resources and at that the US ranked the highest. But then again with the exception of Africa the other nations are doing pretty good for themselves and are "Successful"
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 grape_of_wrath
[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"]Thirdly-your enjoyment probably means nothing-it has much more to do with what your collective canadian wills can accomplish by tommorrow(The US can destroy the world by noon,for example, cause a financial global disaster or bring down a regime in another country). F1_2004
lol you're going to have to explain this one to me. The US can cock up the world easily (and over the last few years they certainly tried their best to do so), but they can't make it better for themselves. Canada can live the better life (and is doing so), but can't ruin the world if they tried. I believe I'll gladly accept that compromise, thank you very much.

Fine. it boils down to this-The american president is the most powerful man alive ,the candian prime minister isn't even close.even if life for the average candian are better than for the average american.
error_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 error_202

[QUOTE="error_202"]

Forgive me for not knowing much but im from the UK and have been thinking bout this for a while. All these new world countries were colonised around the same time, some even bigger than the US, why havent they been even kind of close to the US in terms of success?

Dr_Brocoli

*my reaction to the post*

So much fail in your post. Those countries have been extremely successful. Notice how they have universal healthcare, higher living standards, less poverty etc. ?Military might =/= success.

Cool beans bro,

But if you read the bolded, im asking why the havent been AS SUCCESSFUL as the USA. Im not saying they havent been successful because of course they have (everyone knows that). Struck a nerve? whilst you were going off on one based on your failed reading comprehension, several posters gave legitmate reasons such as the climate and the US having been colonised a while before. And i now have a better understanding.

Thanks guys. To all the cool guys that gave answers, head on over to the Tom and Jerry Cats thread for more cool stuff.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"]Thirdly-your enjoyment probably means nothing-it has much more to do with what your collective canadian wills can accomplish by tommorrow(The US can destroy the world by noon,for example, cause a financial global disaster or bring down a regime in another country). grape_of_wrath

Fine. it boils down to this-The american president is the most powerful man alive ,the candian prime minister isn't even close.even if life for the average candian are better than for the average american.

I think every Canadian will be happy with that. You can start wars on a whim if that makes you happy, we will enjoy the good life.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

There's a lot of different factors like climate, resources, remoteness.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 grape_of_wrath
[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"][QUOTE="F1_2004"] lol you're going to have to explain this one to me. The US can cock up the world easily (and over the last few years they certainly tried their best to do so), but they can't make it better for themselves. Canada can live the better life (and is doing so), but can't ruin the world if they tried. I believe I'll gladly accept that compromise, thank you very much.Dylan_11

I think every Canadian will be happy with that. You can start wars on a whim if that makes you happy, we will enjoy the good life.

I'm not american.:x just because I don't participate in the oh-so-popular-with-non-americans-online trend of "bash the united states",does not neccessarily mean that I have an american passport. :|
RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

I think in a lot of ways, maybe in most ways, they have been more successful.

But if you mean economically (despite dept) and militarily. Well it probably boils down to resources, population (immigration), and some smart moves here and there.

akuma_od3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 akuma_od3
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

error_202

If you consider being in about a Trillion dollars of debt "successful" then I guess because those countries just havnt borrowed as much money as the US have.

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Well Australia and Canada each have a higher quality of life than the US according to the UN's Human Development Index (it's their main measure of living quality) by a decent margin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

If you mean being an important player on the world stage, it's probably because none of the countries you listed have 300 million people and a huge military budget.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

Military wise they may not be mighty, but I love New Zealand personally. I am from there too. I still have a NZ passport which helps because nobody hates NZ except maybe Australia but they are just jealous:P

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

And to all those saying that it's because of the US' resources, Canada is known to be one of the most resource rich countries in the world. For example, they have the second highest oil reserves (far more than the US) and the third highest amount of renewable water. They also produce nearly as much renewable energy as the US with one tenth the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_renewable_water_resources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_production_from_renewable_sources

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Of those countries, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are all very successful. The US just has a bigger population base, but the standard of living is quite high in each of those countries. The more interesting thing that you should note - as you are from the UK - is that all of those countries plus the US were English colonies.

sonicare

You left out South Africa in your explanation. :o

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Military wise they may not be mighty, but I love New Zealand personally. I am from there too. I still have a NZ passport which helps because nobody hates NZ except maybe Australia but they are just jealous:P

Film-Guy

I'd like to visit New Zealand...O_o..

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

agree Canada is successful. why do u say that Canada is not as successful then US?

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

I'd like to visit New Zealand...O_o..

We have penguins, bungee jumping, and Giant hamster balls you can roll down a hill in:D What else do you need in life?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
The US was chosen to be like this, period.GazaAli
What are you talking about?
cheesyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cheesyjon
Member since 2009 • 45844 Posts

Hell yeah!

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="Dylan_11"][QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"] Fine. it boils down to this-The american president is the most powerful man alive ,the candian prime minister isn't even close.even if life for the average candian are better than for the average american.grape_of_wrath

I'm not american.:x just because I don't participate in the oh-so-popular-with-non-americans-online trend of "bash the united states",does not neccessarily mean that I have an american passport. :|

Can you honestly blame me for thinking you were American? Maybe you are a bit naive, also I don't appreciate how you label my gripes with America as being part of a trend.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

Isn't the US the only one that fought and won independence? Those other cowards just waited it out and fought wars for England.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dylan_11

Isn't the US the only one that fought and won independence? Those other cowards just waited it out and fought wars for England.

wstfld
War of 1812. Cowards you say.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

Sucess in terms of military might, influence on the world (politcs etc) and the biggest economy in the world.

error_202
Military - because they're more peaceful (pacifist). Influence & Economy - because they have a smaller population, so naturally a smaller economy. China has a massive population and will soon become the second biggest economy, doesn't really say so much about its success though as it's still not going to be a high-income country.