Why hasn't Gitmo bay not been closed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

From what I have seen it has largely been voted against for closing Gitmo.. Seriously why are people so crazy over not having these people in the United States maximum security prison.. Do they realize that there has never been a escape from such a modern day prison? I mean people seem not to have a problem with mass murders in prisons in the US, extremely dangerous gang members etc etc.. What makes these guys so different? They arn't.. Thoughts? To me Gitmo has created a greater negative effect to be the figure head (along with stuff like Abu Gharib incident) for hatred from the Middle East, and really the rest of the world.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.FragStains
So your worried about giving humans rights?
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragStains
[QUOTE="FragStains"]I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.killtactics

No...granting a U.S. citizen's legal rights to a non-U.S. citizen is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="FragStains"]I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.FragStains

.. That is incorrect, every one has unalienable rights of sorts rather your a citizen or not within the United States.. Say if they are released.. What than? Do you guys understand that these people are a louse knit organization that has literally has a line of hundreds of replacements? Hell quite a few of those guys could infact be innocent.. Furthermore it has been found that waterboarding has been only the tip of the ice berg when it comes to torturing.. Surely this alone is reason enough to close it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.FragStains
I don't believe that applies to non citizens.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FragStains
[QUOTE="FragStains"][QUOTE="killtactics"]So your worried about giving humans rights? sSubZerOo

.. That is incorrect, every one has unalienable rights of sorts rather your a citizen or not within the United States.. Say if they are released.. What than? Do you guys understand that these people are a louse knit organization that has literally has a line of hundreds of replacements? Hell quite a few of those guys could infact be innocent.. Furthermore it has been found that waterboarding has been only the tip of the ice berg when it comes to torturing.. Surely this alone is reason enough to close it.

Question #1: Why do you think the US established Gitmo? Possibly because it's not U.S. soil? Question #2: Where is the rest of this iceberg of torture that you claim? Also, please define what you think torture is?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

Why hasnt Gitmo been closed?

Problably because the idea wasnt seriously considered until a few months ago. Things like that take time to do, add to that political pressure and BS talking and it will problably be a while.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="FragStains"]No...granting a U.S. citizen's legal rights to a non-U.S. citizen is. FragStains

Question #1: Why do you think the US established Gitmo? Possibly because it's not U.S. soil? Question #2: Where is the rest of this iceberg of torture that you claim? Also, please define what you think torture is?

1: Gitmo technically speaking is part of the US, its a territory of ours... 2: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/20/military-attorney-wa.html ..... Torture:1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Because obviously Cuba should have to deal with our problems. They don't have enough of their own. That seems to be the general argument I'm hearing from politicians: "We don't want them here." Apparently the Cuban citizenry loves having them there?

Mr_Oblivio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Mr_Oblivio
Member since 2007 • 898 Posts

I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to threats of national security.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Because Obama only promised to close Gitmo to get elected. He's not going to close Gitmo.

Obama doesn't want to close Gitmo.

Like every politician he promised something he had absolutely no intention of doing. In 4 years that military base will still be active.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
They are mostly working out all the bugs and trying to agree on where the actual prisoners will be held. (Most likely in a max security prison). Give it a couple months
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FragStains

[QUOTE="FragStains"]I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.LJS9502_basic

Any non citizen is granted the legal rights of a US citizen on US soil, if I'm not mistaken. I'm no legal expert, so I don't know how capturing enemy combatants works.
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -TheSecondSign-

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="FragStains"]I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.FragStains

Any non citizen is granted the legal rights of a US citizen on US soil, if I'm not mistaken. I'm no legal expert, so I don't know how capturing enemy combatants works.

Not exactly. You're given certain rights, but you aren't fully protected by the US Constitution.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="FragStains"]I'm not worried about them escaping...I'm worried about bringing them to America where they will be granted the legal rights of a citizen. And since they weren't read their miranda rights with the US military 'arrested' them, they will be acquitted.FragStains

Enemy combatants aren't given our legal rights...which was the group I was initially referring to in this thread. Others are deported.

amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to put terrorists in the fertile recruiting grounds of US prisons. Just keep Gitmo open.
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -TheSecondSign-

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to put terrorists in the fertile recruiting grounds of US prisons. Just keep Gitmo open.amob

Who said we have to put them there?

We have the power to move them to other countries. Countries where there are fewer protesters, and even fewer restraints on what we can do to them.
Even if you close down Gitmo, the US can still move prisoners around the globe, to prisons you've never even heard of, and do bad things to them there.

So, even if we close Gitmo, what Gitmo is will still be around. Anyone the government considers as a prisoner holding valuable information, that they think they can extract, they will do whatever it takes to get that information.

They don't even have to do it themselves. They can fully remove the person from the US and have someone else do it for them.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
no, the senate almost unanimously voted against closing down Gitmo. They proverbially cock blocked Obama.
Avatar image for modestkraut1291
modestkraut1291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 modestkraut1291
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts

redundant

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
Isn't that a double negative? :?
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
We can't bring these terrorist SUPER VILLAINS to U.S. soil! What if they employ their ability to control metal? Or super strength? Or optic blasts from their eyes? No super maximum security prison can hold these guys. Only Guantanamo Bay can. :) In all seriousness, it hasn't been closed because Republicans yelled "boo!" and Democrats are cowards who flinched.
16-bit-brain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 16-bit-brain
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Because there super villains, ala Batman like super-villiains, who will undoubtedly escape even are most stringent supermax prisons and reek havoc upon our nation.
Wicked_Spades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wicked_Spades
Member since 2007 • 1147 Posts

I say keep it open with a new rule: send prisoners in the US over there. There's complaints about over crowding in the prisons and now they want to close Gitmo? Lolz...

12Bullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 12Bullets
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts
they all deserve a freakin trial.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

i would rather have GITMO Bay open instead of having high profile criminals in our prisons they should at least be sent back to their homeland prison but hey that's just me

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
they all deserve a freakin trial.12Bullets
are you serious? you know these territory have committed crimes right?
12Bullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 12Bullets
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts
[QUOTE="12Bullets"]they all deserve a freakin trial.XD4NTESINF3RNOX

innocent until proven guilty.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="12Bullets"]they all deserve a freakin trial.12Bullets

they are most likely guilty that's why most of them are in gitmo they wouldn't throw you in there without reason but whatever we should just put more criminals in our prisons that sounds like a great idea

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
[QUOTE="12Bullets"][QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"] are you serious? you know these territory have committed crimes right? XD4NTESINF3RNOX

they are guilty that's why most of them are in gitmo they wouldn't throw you in there without reason but whatever we should just put more criminals in our prisons that sounds like a great idea

Circular reasoning much?
blaaah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaaah
Member since 2003 • 236 Posts

I live right next to a Supermax prison full of drug dealers, murderers, rapist and other unsavory individuals.

I'll tell you what, I don't feel safe now knowing that terrorist might be housed there now. Time to stimulate the local economy and buy a gun!

Jigsaw_McGraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Jigsaw_McGraw
Member since 2006 • 1231 Posts
They won't close it until the contract runs out...which I believe is 2012, ironically enough.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
They won't close it until the contract runs out...which I believe is 2012, ironically enough.Jigsaw_McGraw
*starts singing it's the end of the world as we know it*
awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts

[QUOTE="amob"]I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to put terrorists in the fertile recruiting grounds of US prisons. Just keep Gitmo open.-TheSecondSign-

Who said we have to put them there?

We have the power to move them to other countries. Countries where there are fewer protesters, and even fewer restraints on what we can do to them.
Even if you close down Gitmo, the US can still move prisoners around the globe, to prisons you've never even heard of, and do bad things to them there.

So, even if we close Gitmo, what Gitmo is will still be around. Anyone the government considers as a prisoner holding valuable information, that they think they can extract, they will do whatever it takes to get that information.

They don't even have to do it themselves. They can fully remove the person from the US and have someone else do it for them.

but nobody is willing to take them