Why don't some people thank you when holding a door for them?

#1 Posted by livingdeadman (372 posts) -

I'm somewhat observant of my surroundings so I find my self opening doors a lot for people. Is it really that hard to say "thanks" when walking in? It doesn't waste time at all. Very bad behavior and probably calls for them getting bad karma anyways.

#2 Posted by Horgen (121162 posts) -

People don't say thanks? I've always got a thank you or thanks.

#3 Posted by sealionact (4176 posts) -

They're either preoccupied or Danish.

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3314 posts) -

Everyone always in a rush London is the worst especially rush hour everyone's on there phones.

#5 Edited by WannabeGG (10 posts) -

No all of them right?

i think they think they deserved it, so that's why they don't say thanks or an habit from them, who always visit a shop or restaurant or hotel which always have a worker opens the door for customer

#6 Posted by DaVillain- (38125 posts) -

I'm a Gentleman and I always hold the door for strangers and I never expect a "thank you" so it's not like I'm gonna throw a fuss over it.

#7 Posted by Macutchi (6883 posts) -
@sealionact said:

They're either preoccupied or Danish.

or french (or more specifically parisian). those mavericks do not subscribe to social etiquette. i like their style

#8 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58923 posts) -

Hold the door, but block their path. Don't move until they look you in the eye and show some respect.

#9 Posted by warmblur (3017 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I'm a Gentleman and I always hold the door for strangers and I never expect a "thank you" so it's not like I'm gonna throw a fuss over it.

Same

#10 Posted by Speeny (1971 posts) -

Don't think anyone has ever not said thanks to me. May not be thanks all the time, but it's around those lines.

#11 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44396 posts) -

@livingdeadman said:

I'm somewhat observant of my surroundings so I find my self opening doors a lot for people. Is it really that hard to say "thanks" when walking in? It doesn't waste time at all. Very bad behavior and probably calls for them getting bad karma anyways.

Some people don't like being beholden to people.

When you hold the door open for people, you're essentially demanding they say "thank you", and by doing that it creates resentment.

It's dumb and petty, but there it is.

Try not to let it bug you, it's just human nature, they probably do it instinctively for the most part.

#12 Posted by shellcase86 (4528 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@livingdeadman said:

Some people don't like being beholden to people.

When you hold the door open for people, you're essentially demanding they say "thank you", and by doing that it creates resentment.

It's dumb and petty, but there it is.

Try not to let it bug you, it's just human nature, they probably do it instinctively for the most part.

Great point, and very valid.

Also, you never know what some people are going through -- sometimes they're just too pre-occupied mentally to notice or respond.

#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44396 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@livingdeadman said:

... you never know what some people are going through -- sometimes they're just too pre-occupied mentally to notice or respond...

exactly. My general rule is give people the benefit of the doubt. For their sake, yes, but mostly for your own.