Why does work have to suck so much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

I sent to school to become a Nurse, prior to that I never enjoyed working. I would always want to stay home instead of go to work. Granted, I never called-in, or no showed. I just simply despised the idea of having to get up and go to work everyday. Once I was enrolled and accepted into Nursing school I thought maybe I would enjoy going to work, doing interested things all day, and making good enough money to justify getting out of the bed.

I was completely wrong, it only personified my hatred for waking up and going to work every day. The job is stressful, and I get a 3 day weekend every month, which makes getting motivated to go back to work extremely challenging. Anyone else feel this way, and hate going to work?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

The trick is working a job in a field you enjoy, either by studying something you'll love, or by finding a way to monetize a hobby.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

It's your entire attitude that's at fault.

You're not supposed to work for your own satisfaction or material gain.

Come the end of each grueling day, you're supposed to derive pleasure from the knowledge that some wealthy shareholder who already owns more than you can dream of owning (but whose effective tax rate is nonetheless much smaller than yours) has just become wealthier still, thanks in part to your labor.

Only commie scum fail to find joy beneath the yoke.

:-/

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I'm guessing there are no people there to make the experience better try and make some friends to make the experience better

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@-Renegade said:

I'm guessing there are no people there to make the experience better try and make some friends to make the experience better

Pretty much this. I'd start looking for another job or a transfer to another branch of whatever company you work for.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Sometimes I hate aspects of my job but for the most part I love my work.

It's all about doing a job that you enjoy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Working has huge benefits that are not apparent until you don't do it: it keeps your mind busy, gives you purpose, affords you money to enjoy some things, keeps you socially and physically active.

The majority of suicides are the retired elderly. Ever wonder why? Work is a blessing, be thankful for it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@SystemsGO said:

I sent to school to become a Nurse, prior to that I never enjoyed working. I would always want to stay home instead of go to work. Granted, I never called-in, or no showed. I just simply despised the idea of having to get up and go to work everyday. Once I was enrolled and accepted into Nursing school I thought maybe I would enjoy going to work, doing interested things all day, and making good enough money to justify getting out of the bed.

I was completely wrong, it only personified my hatred for waking up and going to work every day. The job is stressful, and I get a 3 day weekend every month, which makes getting motivated to go back to work extremely challenging. Anyone else feel this way, and hate going to work?

Why did you became a nurse?

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DreamingMind
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

It helps if you work towards a well-defined goal. For example, a goal to gather $20k and then open a small business of your own. Or write stuff in your spare time with the goal of publishing an ebook and make some money on the side.

Working without a long-term goal in mind can be extremely daunting, in my opinion.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Your employer pays you money, and in return they expect you to do something productive. Welcome to real life.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

It doesn't have to suck if you get knowledge on something that you actually want to do instead of settling for a random degree that you think will give you a job easily. It's worth the extra work if it's something you love, that's what I did. It took me a solid 6 months of looking but I finally got a job doing exactly what I've wanted to do my whole life. Video production.

You can do it.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I hate my job as well, but I hate being broke even more. Also, I tend to waste my days off anyway.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

I've read that stressful work or some physically demanding work can shorten your lifespan. I don't know if that's been proven. Sounds like the physically tough jobs could though.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

To quote someone once: "if it was fun, they wouldn't call it work".

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

@DreamingMind said:

It helps if you work towards a well-defined goal. For example, a goal to gather $20k and then open a small business of your own. Or write stuff in your spare time with the goal of publishing an ebook and make some money on the side.

Working without a long-term goal in mind can be extremely daunting, in my opinion.

I'd agree and disagree. So long as what you are working toward is something you are actually going to go through with. Too many people don't focus on enjoying the life they have right now and instead try and feel better about it because down the road they will enjoy it (but by then, it's too late)

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DreamingMind

@bob_toeback said:

@DreamingMind said:

I'd agree and disagree. So long as what you are working toward is something you are actually going to go through with. Too many people don't focus on enjoying the life they have right now and instead try and feel better about it because down the road they will enjoy it (but by then, it's too late)

You have a strong point there and I agree with you about enjoying life right here, right now. However, I'd argue that having a well-defined goal can make your whole life more meaningful and perhaps a bit more enjoyable in the present too.

After all, there's no cheaper entertainment than day-dreaming ;)

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I love my job, I work as art director at an internet agency. It can be very stressful at times because of deadlines you have to make and customers who can be irrational, but overal it's a fun job and I love my colleagues. We all made this company grow and flourish, so we all feel a sense of pride in the things that we do and create.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@airshocker said:

Your job is very cool , i bet people are scared of your position around you lol.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Working has huge benefits that are not apparent until you don't do it: it keeps your mind busy, gives you purpose, affords you money to enjoy some things, keeps you socially and physically active.

The majority of suicides are the retired elderly. Ever wonder why? Work is a blessing, be thankful for it.

i've had the mixed blessing of working with the elderly in various retirement homes, and the concerns that were aired in those places revolved having no friends or close relatives left in their lives, feeling as if they're being overmedicated, dealing with chronic pains or life-threatening illnesses and/or feeling as if no one is treating them as an emotional and intellectual equal

never once did i hear someone being frustrated about not having a job as their primary issue

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

It's all about colleagues that you work with, if there are possibilities to talk to them from time to time you can have a better day at work

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Do something you enjoy. I currently work in shipping and receiving it's decent work with decent pay and I don't hate doing it but I'm still considering going back to school so I can do something that I enjoy even more. There's nothing wrong with changing careers until you find something that you feel you can love doing.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

I hate my job as well, but I hate being broke even more.

Same here.

lots of people hate their jobs TC, but its apart of everyday life if you want a roof over your head, provide for family, etc. so we have no choice but to do it. Why do you think the first thing people do when they win the jackpot (Lottery) is quit their jobs..

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BiancaDK

@FinalFighters said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Same here.

lots of people hate their jobs TC, but its apart of everyday life if you want a roof over your head, provide for family, etc. so we have no choice but to do it. Why do you think the first thing people do when they win the jackpot (Lottery) is quit their jobs..

choice is basically an idea

new ideas, new choices

here's a few complimentary ideas to start you off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-wkv8gW6k

see you on the other side of existentialism

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts
@Nibroc420 said:

The trick is working a job in a field you enjoy, either by studying something you'll love, or by finding a way to monetize a hobby.

Words of a child. At best, unless you can dictate what your job is, you'll find something tolerable (with ups and downs) that pays the bills. Even in areas you find interesting, there is a lot of bull shit to deal with.

@luke1889 said:

To quote someone once: "if it was fun, they wouldn't call it work".

Ditto.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

Your job is very cool , i bet people are scared of your position around you lol.

Not at all. Law-abiding people have nothing to fear from the Police. People do tend to treat me with a little too much respect, to which I try and make jokes to lighten the mood.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman

@airshocker said:

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

Not at all. Law-abiding people have nothing to fear from the Police. People do tend to treat me with a little too much respect, to which I try and make jokes to lighten the mood.

i like cops :)

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimy1475

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

elaborate

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By indzman

@jimy1475 said:

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

@indzman said:

@airshocker said:

elaborate

Well they protect us, help us in many respect. I know there are many corrput and bad cops around too, but i and my family feel safe with cops around in general. Our neighbour is our citys ex commisnor , helped our family in one instance in past. Overall i got a good impression of cops, hope this does not change lol.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

At least my new now so much better than the one before... I hated that couldn't find a job at all 3 years back.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6816 Posts

I'm gonna remain optimistic because I know what career I want to be in. If my plan doesn't go through, I'll come back and whine about my boring job at the office.

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DreamingMind

@coolbeans90 said:
@Nibroc420 said:

Words of a child. At best, unless you can dictate what your job is, you'll find something tolerable (with ups and downs) that pays the bills. Even in areas you find interesting, there is a lot of bull shit to deal with.

I would not call Nibroc420's post 'words of a child', as I my personal experience agrees with him and I'm 30 years old now. I've been making good money doing stuff that I love to do - and it gets better with every passing day.

I monetized my hobby (writing) and even though at first it was tough, there haven't been a day I didn't love, so far (even if some of them had a lot of bull to deal with!)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

@FinalFighters said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Same here.

choice is basically an idea

new ideas, new choices

here's a few complimentary ideas to start you off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-wkv8gW6k

see you on the other side of existentialism

Clicked on the link expecting to get my mind blown away, came back really disappointed.

On topic, if you apply yourself enough and refuse to yield to the tyranny of the current mode of existence, there's a chance you'll discover what you're really capable of and as a result love what you do to death. To have to work for your means of subsistence sucks in essence, but it can be a powerful thing that would mold you in ways you couldn't anticipate.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Life is hard and having a job is one of the things that make it so. The advice given in this thread is solid and having long term goals that you can see yourself appreciably working toward is a great panacea for the grind of daily life.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

@MirkoS77 said:

i've had the mixed blessing of working with the elderly in various retirement homes, and the concerns that were aired in those places revolved having no friends or close relatives left in their lives, feeling as if they're being overmedicated, dealing with chronic pains or life-threatening illnesses and/or feeling as if no one is treating them as an emotional and intellectual equal

never once did i hear someone being frustrated about not having a job as their primary issue

You don't think having no friends and not being treated as an emotional/intellectual equal (especially) are consequences of not working? That that wouldn't help at all? I don't buy it.

And even if you don't buy "work gives you purpose", it does all of the other things I mentioned.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By coolbeans90

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@Nibroc420 said:

I would not call Nibroc420's post 'words of a child', as I my personal experience agrees with him and I'm 30 years old now. I've been making good money doing stuff that I love to do - and it gets better with every passing day.

I monetized my hobby (writing) and even though at first it was tough, there haven't been a day I didn't love, so far (even if some of them had a lot of bull to deal with!)

"Unless you can dictate what your job is" - That is what I said in my post. It seems, based on a little inference from your post, that you more or less managed to do that. Truth be told, I am a wee bit jealous.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts

@SystemsGO said:

Why do you work? Update your expectations drivers. Ted talks: synthetic happiness.

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DreamingMind

@coolbeans90 said:

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@Nibroc420 said:

"Unless you can dictate what your job is" - That is what I said in my post. It seems, based on a little inference from your post, that you more or less managed to do that. Truth be told, I am a wee bit jealous.

As a newbie writer, you often have to write stuff you don't particularly like, but know it would sell, or is what your clients have asked you to write about. So in a sense, I could not fully dictate what my job was at first. I had to go with the flow to make some cash and a name for myself.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By coolbeans90

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@Nibroc420 said:

As a newbie writer, you often have to write stuff you don't particularly like, but know it would sell, or is what your clients have asked you to write about. So in a sense, I could not fully dictate what my job was at first. I had to go with the flow to make some cash and a name for myself.

Did you "love" it (writing what you didn't particularly care for) back then, or was it a tolerable means to achieve a goal?

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DreamingMind

@coolbeans90 said:

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@DreamingMind said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@Nibroc420 said:

Did you "love" it (writing what you didn't particularly care for) back then, or was it a tolerable means to achieve a goal?

That's a tough question!

I loved it all, but I'll be honest; at first, I suppose I could compare my writing career with going out on countless hot dates but failing to go to second base. Again. And again. And again.

It was all so tantalizingly close, yet so far away, but it made me even more determined to push forward, try new things and reinvent myself in a battle of words that, at times, seemed hopelessly lost.

It was a means to achieve a goal, yes, and sometimes was utterly intolerable, but exactly like dating, all that waiting and failing and fooling around made success all the more bangingly sweet in the end.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Get a job you love is my advice.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jimy1475

@ShadowsDemon said:

Get a job you love is my advice.

easy to say then do, you know

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BiancaDK

@MirkoS77 said:

@BiancaDK said:

@MirkoS77 said:

You don't think having no friends and not being treated as an emotional/intellectual equal (especially) are consequences of not working? That that wouldn't help at all? I don't buy it.

And even if you don't buy "work gives you purpose", it does all of the other things I mentioned.

i'm not saying work doesn't potentially hold any of the benefits you mentioned. As you can see with my initial comment, i am talking about the retired elderly and their complaints

if you think having a job can do all these things for everyone, then that's on you and i'm quite fine with that

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BiancaDK

@GazaAli: thanks for the feedback, however the material wasn't addressed to you, so i'm not entirely sure why you intially thought that you would get something out of it

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

@GazaAli: thanks for the feedback, however the material wasn't addressed to you, so i'm not entirely sure why you intially thought that you would get something out of it

Fair enough, I just got excited from the description.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

go into a field you enjoy instead of torturing yourself

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

@wis3boi: It's not that I don't enjoy the field. I love being a nurse, and helping to save lives. More often than not though, you're simply helping keep someone comfortable when they die, rather than saving them from the grips of death. At any rate, some of my colleagues are tolerable, and some of them of fun to be around. It's just the tremendous amount of stress involved in the field of Nursing that makes it so difficult to achieve. I became a nurse, because I helped my grand parents in their last days, and then became a CNA and helped a young man my age who was rendered brain-dead. I used to go talk to him even though he couldn't respond. One day, he woke up from his comatose state, and remembered nearly everything I said to him. That was why I decided it was something I had to do, but I think that's a once in a lifetime type of thing.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

@SystemsGO: sounds to me like you picked a profession you don't like. I love going to work. A major part of enjoying your job isn't just what you do but where you do it and with whom. If you work in a good environment that will make the process of waking up every morning much more enjoyable. (At least when it's not cold outside).

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

Your not the only one.

I'd always have the idea to go to work was pointless if your just making someone else money.

I'm still at my first job ever, and making friends REALLY helped.

I hate working, but when I make friends..it's not so bad, now I kinda don't mind going to work...but sometimes I despise it, then when I arrive at work, my hate kinda goes away because if the awesome boss and co workers I have.

I work at a daycare and I'm a 19 year old guy that works out, has a good sense of fashion and cares for himself only (and family)

Sometimes the places you hate can teach you something.

But take my word for it, find something you LIKE

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I hate my job but my colleagues are so great and fun it pretty much cancels out the tedious nature of work. So I don't mind it to be honest, except for when I'm being shouted at for something someon else did(or didn't do). That gets me down but then i go home and a new day starts! Stop trying to hate it as much, find some humour and have a laugh or two, it also doesn't hurt to take a... how can I put it... undocumented break once in a while, taking an extra 10 minutes to make the coffee or have a cigarette(or a dump) won't hurt.