Why does everyone look down on fast food jobs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I mean, in the current economic climate, I'm doing just fine while all of my friends with "better jobs" are struggling to find work and getting laid off. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy, and I do some freelance writing on the side, but my primary source of income comes from my job as a Restaurant Manager.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I think it's because it's one of few jobs which requires no real experience or qualifications, and usually because pay is so small. I have nothing against people who work fast-food jobs at all, but there is a common stereotype out there that it's the least desirable of jobs, therefore i think people assume that the guys and girls who work them must have no other options.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

...but my primary source of income comes from my

Assassin_87
Comes from your what!?!? The suspense is killing me!! Fast food jobs are one of the lowest forms of employment. They take little to no skill (skill being defined by something that needs training or previous knowledge) and they typically pay minimum wage. I think it's as simple as that.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Assassin_87

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

...but my primary source of income comes from my

spazzx625

Comes from your what!?!? The suspense is killing me!! Fast food jobs are one of the lowest forms of employment. They take little to no skill (skill being defined by something that needs training or previous knowledge) and they typically pay minimum wage. I think it's as simple as that.

Hardy har har. Internet connection is a little lackluster at the moment. :P

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Doesnt change the fact that its a hard, low-paid job that requires no experience or qualifications If youre happy, then good for you
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

Hardy har har. Internet connection is a little lackluster at the moment. :P

Assassin_87
Don't hate on my brilliance/sarcasm :P Being a restaurant manager is a little different than being a simple fry cook...So I think in your case it is just the stigma surrounding the fast food company. I have friends that work at corporate McDonald's offices, but when people ask where they work they make sure to clarify that they work at the CORPORATE offices, not in one of the restaurants. It's all just stigma.
IcyThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IcyThunder
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i dont. i guess its because it considered low end. mostly filled by students and immigrants
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
You know... people who work at In N Out get paid above minimum wage.
FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts
because the work sucks, the food sucks, and places are just horrible. Any food I don't make my own isn't that great IMO. You never know what it is, or how it's made, and I prefer organic food. I don't personally look down on people though.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

my thing is this. if you're 35 and cooking burgers and fries is the sum of your lifes accomplishment then i just find that kinda sad. also i've noticed the people who make/serve food at a mc donalds, jack in the box, kfc etc etc are usually there because they're not the brightest lot. i can't even begin to fathom how many times ive had a simple order messed up, how difficult is "no tomatos" ?

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
If it's a teenager working there I wouldn't look down at them at all, we all need money and for someone with no qualifications or experience it is one of the easiest places to get a job, and hey at least they're working for their money rather then getting everything given to them on a silver platter like a lot of teenagers, however 25+ I would start to think they should get off their asses and do something better with themselves, but at least they have a job.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts

It just seems like you get the least respect. No one will ever thank you for being a fry cook. As mentioned you don't really need any skill or knowledge. I applied to work in a grocery store because my parents didn't really want me working fast food. It has a cliche as being a first job, just like being a paperboy.. it won't really command respect on your resume.

Being a manager is a bit different though. You have to actually manage people, make schedules, order stuff etc. I just applied to be a manager in a few stores and I am in university, so I doubt I will get them :P. I want to build some leadership qualities, even though I'm studying business/accounting. I can't find a job anywhere else right now anyway.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Because people are snobs. Its as simple as that.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Assassin_87

Doesnt change the fact that its a hard, low-paid job that requires no experience or qualifications If youre happy, then good for youFirstDiscovery
See, I have a problem with your perspective. Yes, being a fry cook or cashier requires no qualifications or experience and is probably the most simplistic job on Earth. However, moving to management level (barring shift supervisors or shift managers, the most basic level) requires great people skills, extensive understanding of standard business practices and most Microsoft Works applications, good mathematical skills, organizational skills, some knowledge of marketing, etc.

Trying to get a job at a level any higher than Assistant Manager without an impressive amount of related/applicable experience or a business degree is nigh impossible. Now, whether or not my job is low paid depends on what sort of lifestyle you're accustomed to. I'm fine with my pay though. That's mostly because I live in the south, where cost of living is insanely low compared to most other places in the US.

For instance, in New York I'd be screwed. :P

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
I used to work at Hungry Jacks! :D That's the Burger King franchise in Australia. I started off out back making burgers (flippin burgers despite the fact they aren't actually flipped) and then I did front counter.
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

Because even if you flunk out of high school or college you can still flip burgers :P

Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

While i would never work within a fast food business, i highly appreciate those that do so i can get my meals while im on the go :)

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Assassin_87

I do have to admit that the people that I hire are usually pretty worthless individuals with no ambition in life.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Doesnt change the fact that its a hard, low-paid job that requires no experience or qualifications If youre happy, then good for youAssassin_87

See, I have a problem with your perspective. Yes, being a fry cook or cashier requires no qualifications or experience and is probably the most simplistic job on Earth. However, moving to management level (barring shift supervisors or shift managers, the most basic level) requires great people skills, extensive understanding of standard business practices and most Microsoft Works applications, good mathematical skills, organizational skills, some knowledge of marketing, etc.

Trying to get a job at a level any higher than Assistant Manager without an impressive amount of related/applicable experience or a business degree is nigh impossible. Now, whether or not my job is low paid depends on what sort of lifestyle you're accustomed to. I'm fine with my pay though. That's mostly because I live in the south, where cost of living is insanely low compared to most other places in the US.

For instance, in New York I'd be screwed. :P

Thats the thing with retail, if you have enough patience, and work a little hard, its not too hard to rise up The thing is, most people working at retail are students who dont want promotions and part-timers, so it makes it a little bit easier there. Again, its simplistic, but its a tough job being a fry-cooker, or even being on the till, youre going to be worked like a horse.

Youve done well for yourself and i think its going to help you rise up in other opportunities, im a student so im not as experienced, but if i was as qualified as you id look elsewhere very soon. But at the end of the day, if it satisfies you, then who am i to say otherwise

PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

If it's a teenager working there I wouldn't look down at them at all, we all need money and for someone with no qualifications or experience it is one of the easiest places to get a job, and hey at least they're working for their money rather then getting everything given to them on a silver platter like a lot of teenagers, however 25+ I would start to think they should get off their asses and do something better with themselves, but at least they have a job.bean-with-bacon

PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PlayBox39

If it's a teenager working there I wouldn't look down at them at all, we all need money and for someone with no qualifications or experience it is one of the easiest places to get a job, and hey at least they're working for their money rather then getting everything given to them on a silver platter like a lot of teenagers, however 25+ I would start to think they should get off their asses and do something better with themselves, but at least they have a job.bean-with-bacon

But if those people are fine with that why should they try to better themselves? Why does everyone have to shoot for the moon and the stars?

bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bean-with-bacon

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]If it's a teenager working there I wouldn't look down at them at all, we all need money and for someone with no qualifications or experience it is one of the easiest places to get a job, and hey at least they're working for their money rather then getting everything given to them on a silver platter like a lot of teenagers, however 25+ I would start to think they should get off their asses and do something better with themselves, but at least they have a job.PlayBox39

But if those people are fine with that why should they try to better themselves? Why does everyone have to shoot for the moon and the stars?

Well why shouldn't they? I think we should always encourage the betterment of ourselves, and honestly who would be fine working crappy wages, getting treated crappy day in day out, coming home smelling of fat and grease etc? If they are fine with that then I think that is a problem, no one should content themselves to that life, there is a difference between shooting for the stars and just working an enjoyable job for a decent wage.
intheshad0ws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 intheshad0ws
Member since 2007 • 208 Posts

Well I was a dishwasher for about 7 months at a diner. It wasnt bad but the work was very degrading to me....

I mean its money... but I dont really enjoy washing other peoples dishes, cleaning others messes and taking out the trash everyday.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i think because people see it as a low pay job. usually there are teens getting the job because usually that is a person's first job.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Well, if you're a manager, that's quite a bit different. I don't think you'd fit into the "burger-flipper" stereotype.
PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PlayBox39

[QUOTE="PlayBox39"]

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]If it's a teenager working there I wouldn't look down at them at all, we all need money and for someone with no qualifications or experience it is one of the easiest places to get a job, and hey at least they're working for their money rather then getting everything given to them on a silver platter like a lot of teenagers, however 25+ I would start to think they should get off their asses and do something better with themselves, but at least they have a job.bean-with-bacon

Well why shouldn't they? I think we should always encourage the betterment of ourselves, and honestly who would be fine working crappy wages, getting treated crappy day in day out, coming home smelling of fat and grease etc? If they are fine with that then I think that is a problem, no one should content themselves to that life, there is a difference between shooting for the stars and just working an enjoyable job for a decent wage.

I'm pretty sure there are some people out there who would be fine with that.

Besides not all fast food places are like what you described.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
I don't look down on fast food workers. They are low paying and don't require much experience or education, but I see them as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bean-with-bacon

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"][QUOTE="PlayBox39"]

PlayBox39

I'm pretty sure there are some people out there who would be fine with that.

Besides not all fast food places are like what you described.

Well if they are fine with then I honestly think they have serious problems, have a very low opinion of their worth or are telling themselves they are fine with it as an excuse not to try harder, and no not all fast food places are like that but the vast majority are.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Assassin_87

Well, if you're a manager, that's quite a bit different. I don't think you'd fit into the "burger-flipper" stereotype. Elraptor

That's true. It's just that most people don't have that viewpoint. A lot of people in my family tell me that I should move into a different profession to "better myself" but I'm only 21, and at the moment am being trained into a District Management position. To me, that's a pretty good indicator of success. As young as I am I don't feel the need to rush anything. Do I want to go back to school? Sure, eventually. But I have a lot of time, and if I can build a couple years worth of great business experience before getting my schooling done, all the better.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

Fast food jobs are generally not a career nor do they pay enough to raise a family. Fine for kids or retired people supplementing their income.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Assassin_87

lol 99 percent of the people who replied to the thread didn't even read the full opening post.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#32 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Because anyone can work at a fast food restaurant.

Teenagers & college kids get a free pass though. Adults ( 23+ ) do not......unless you're the manager.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

lol 99 percent of the people who replied to the thread didn't even read the full opening post.

Assassin_87

I read it....doesn't change my answer.:)

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Just a stereotype. People think they're all grease monkeys. :P
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I have about 5 friends that had gigs in McDonalds/Wendy's. They all hated it and looked down at it even when they worked there. The best part from what I could tell was just doing stupid crap when they weren't busy. Let's celebrate!

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
I honestly hated working at Burger King. Ive quit since, and now I work at Dennys (Which to be honest, isnt any different) and I still hate it :lol:
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

because frankly...they suck.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Probably because you don't really need any sort of prior training and they usually pay minimum wage.

BIOSHOCKER98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 BIOSHOCKER98
Member since 2008 • 451 Posts
because they pay you like 8 bucks? :P
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
[QUOTE="intheshad0ws"]

Well I was a dishwasher for about 7 months at a diner. It wasnt bad but the work was very degrading to me....

I mean its money... but I dont really enjoy washing other peoples dishes, cleaning others messes and taking out the trash everyday.

Exactly! I do the same thing at Dennys. Its a job, and its good hours, but the work is just horrible.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I think it's just become such a stereotype that only losers or teenagers work in fast food. I don't necessarily think that's true, and you know what? Working in fast food means that you have a job, which is better than being unemployed, so I don't see why people look down on it so much.
Singularity22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Singularity22
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

In my experience, I find that fast-food workers tend to be unsavory people. Horrible hygiene, grotesquely overweight, jerks, etc.