Why does almost everything in American society have a stigma attached to it?

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Stigma basically means shame or embarrassment. It is disapproval that society has about something.

I've realized that almost everything in America has a stigma attached to it. Thinking about going to community college? That has a stigma. Work a minimum wage job? Stigma. Not married at 30? Stigma. Even being rich has a stigma, because many people seem to just assume rich people are snobs.

Has anyone else noticed this? Almost everything has a stigma. You can't even shop at Wal-Mart without some people saying its a poor person's store. I've even read online, some people say an associate degree isn't a "real" college degree, and you should get a bachelor's degree.

Pretty much anything you can think of has a stigma. You can't even be smart, because if you are, people will consider you a "nerd."

Have you ever realized this?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Ignore the fake news. It’s the Left’s way of making you feel inferior just for existing and forcing you to adopt a globalist agenda.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't have much of a stigma for anything. If someone tries to convince me otherwise? I give that person the middle finger. I can think for myself. Thank you very much.

BalaminienBGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BalaminienBGS
Member since 2016 • 68 Posts

@qx0d:

Yup, but it get's better when you see it. You leverage what to expect against being surprised. Humans are constantly judging (environment aka stimuli), working out what needs a nuanced look based on the list of priorities they judged themselves to be the list vs general judgments passed around a society that can make things easier to judge and so require less energy to deduce. I know what you're thinking though, such general assumptions held or tied to people can make for more conflict within a society surely and thus doesn't make things easier relative to the relationship of judge and judged, but that's the struggle. I'm sure an anthropologist would have a much interesting and insightful response to this, but look outside of America and you can see other counties with stigma's, but speak to an individual of any country and ask what they think of things and throw in some key word (figures, chain stores) and you'll be introduced an opinion and/or judgement of these that may be a trend amongst the others around them.

The basic transportation of a stigma is gossip and that's a social currency. It's everywhere.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Ignore the fake news. It’s the Left’s way of making you feel inferior just for existing and forcing you to adopt a globalist agenda.

Isn't being married before 30 more in line with conservative thinking?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@qx0d said:

Stigma basically means shame or embarrassment.

I've realized that almost everything in America has a stigma attached to it. Thinking about going to community college? That has a stigma. Work a minimum wage job? Stigma. Not married at 30? Stigma. Even being rich has a stigma, because many people seem to just assume rich people are snobs.

Has anyone else noticed this? Basically everything has a stigma. You can't even shop at Wal-Mart without some people saying its a poor person's store. I've even read online, some people say an associate degree isn't a "real" college degree.

Pretty much anything you can think of is stigmatized. You can't even be smart, because if you are, people will consider you a nerd.

Have you ever noticed this?

Sadly it is human nature to judge.

I feel it can all get incredibly overwhelming, too, especially if you suffer from any form of social anxiety, insecurity, or self-consciousness. You need to be tough to succeed in this world, and most don't.

@Sevenizz said:

Jesus dude, give it a rest.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@qx0d said:

Has anyone else noticed this? Basically everything has a stigma. You can't even shop at Wal-Mart without some people saying its a poor person's store. I've even read online, some people say an associate degree isn't a "real" college degree.

Pretty much anything you can think of is stigmatized. You can't even be smart, because if you are, people will consider you a nerd.

Honestly it sounds like you spend way too much time and energy worrying about what other people think about you.

-Byshop

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Why are the politics in the US so polarising?? Your statement is bizarre...

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@qx0d said:

When you say community college, do you mean a government uni?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just tell them to **** their standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I don't know about other parts of the county, but a lot of those are older era stimgas that mostly just for the women gossipers in the neighborhood.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

As an outsider looking in, american society seem to be very judgemental.

Funnily enough, left side, right side or whatever, they make a big noise and show about diversity and acceptance yet they still end up sounding and being very judgemental. Always looking for something to blame and demonise somehow.

Maybe its just that american prizes being very vocal and speaking out what you are thinking whereas in other societies people are a lot more reserved so thats why it seems like in the US, everything is so very visibly polarised.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@qx0d:

It not even mean that?

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

People stigmatize farting in public even in some cases private. I hold a long held dream that one day people can freely fart in public without judgement. Actually, we should protest by farting with loud speakers. Once people start hearing about it they will get used to all the different farting sounds. Eventually, more and more people will start farting in public. Maybe we could even do a musical. Wow, what a fantastic idea.

But this just a dream. I don't think this be legalize during my generation. It would take centuries just to get at least over 50% agreeing with farting in public. I don't care about the minority. It's a democracy and if the majority thinks it's ok then it's good.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I really hate when everything in life has to result in political comments. Step outside and live dude.

Anyway I guess it depends on who you know. I don't notice those stigmas around here.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@watercrack445 said:

People stigmatize farting in public even in some cases private. I hold a long held dream that one day people can freely fart in public without judgement. Actually, we should protest by farting with loud speakers. Once people start hearing about it they will get used to all the different farting sounds. Eventually, more and more people will start farting in public. Maybe we could even do a musical. Wow, what a fantastic idea.

But this just a dream. I don't think this be legalize during my generation. It would take centuries just to get at least over 50% agreeing with farting in public. I don't care about the minority. It's a democracy and if the majority thinks it's ok then it's good.

I don't think people have problems with the noise. I think it's the smell. Some aren't even farts anymore.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:
@qx0d said:

"community college" (or "junior college") is generally a two-year degree school where you go to get your associates degree.

In the US, post K-12 schooling is structured as the following:

• Trade school
  • For-profit universities
  • Community/junior colleges ("2-year" degrees)
  • Four year degree schools ("college" or "university", where you get your "bachelors of ________" degree)
  • Masters degree, if desired (after four-year degree)
  • Doctorate degree, if desired (after masters degree)

The reason people look down on community college is because there are little to no requirements to get in, you don't need to really go through an application process and have good grades to get in. With that said, they are incredibly good options for people that are smart but didn't get good grades in high school, or people looking to save some money because the credit you earn in community college often counts towards a four year degree.

So, for example, you might spend a fraction of the cost per quarter at a JC, boost your GPA, and work towards your college credit prior to going to get your 4-year degree (Bachelor of ________ degree), then when you do go to a four-year school you A.) only need to spend 2-3 years there, and B.) only need to take major classes, which are a lot more interesting than the general ed you already took.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@mrbojangles25: An Associate of Science degree and 4 years of semiconductor manufacturing experience led me to a managment position that requires a masters degree.

Two year degrees are often underrated, however people shouldn't just stop there. I used mine to get myself into a private university.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@qx0d said:

"community college" (or "junior college") is generally a two-year degree school where you go to get your associates degree.

In the US, post K-12 schooling is structured as the following:

• Trade school
  • For-profit universities
  • Community/junior colleges ("2-year" degrees)
  • Four year degree schools ("college" or "university", where you get your "bachelors of ________" degree)
  • Masters degree, if desired (after four-year degree)
  • Doctorate degree, if desired (after masters degree)

Not that I disagree, but adding the "if desired" portion to only the masters and doctorate portions implies that all the options prior to it are required/necessary -- reinforcing OP's point.

I don't think that was your point, but it seemed odd to include that wording in those portions.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Try not giving a shit what random people think about you. Life is much more enjoyable that way.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I'm not American, but the three times I've visited have been amazing. Incredibly nice people. See, I can generalise, too :P (but no seriously, my holidays there were amazing).