Why do you think so many artists do drugs/drink?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts

There are all kinds of opinions out there... and I know it's not all of them, but this type of behavior defintely stands out in artists.  In part I think it is because most great artists feel a lot more than the average person... as they get older they may lose some of those strong emotions and they drug themselves to feel a lot again... to spark creativity.  It may also be due to the fact that as they get older they no longer want to play the songs they once loved to play... it becomes a job.  This depresses them and they do drugs to kill the pain brought on by losing what they once thought was pure.  What do you think?   

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
some make them more creative and others make them feel good. the two biggest reasons and they're often intertwined.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

It helps creativity.  I know I play better when I'm at least buzzed.  

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Could be a lot of reasons.  Probably one of the biggest ones is they just don't take things too seriously.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
DMT!
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenedictArnold7
I was expecting very deep and drawn out answers. I am not sure why the hell I was expecting that.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
because they're so creative and unique...
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

There may be some association between being creative/artistic and having an addictive personality.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hartsickdiscipl

I was expecting very deep and drawn out answers. I am not sure why the hell I was expecting that. BenedictArnold7

I think it's a pretty simple matter.  

BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenedictArnold7

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]I was expecting very deep and drawn out answers. I am not sure why the hell I was expecting that. hartsickdiscipl

It isn't.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#11 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
imo its because after doing the job so much, it just gets boring and their life must be really empty, most of them without a family of their own, and with no options to leave the scene, I guess they get depressed and use those things to try to come out of it.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

They're lazy hippies.

It isn't. BenedictArnold7
Incorrect. Hell I just answered your question in three words.

BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenedictArnold7

They're lazy hippies.

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"] It isn't. cain006

Incorrect. Hell I just answered your question in three words.

You didn't answer anything. Empty answers are meaningless.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

You didn't answer anything. Empty answers are meaningless. BenedictArnold7
Wait so did I answer or not. You said I didn't answer anything, but then say I did answer it - but it was meaningless. Make up your mind.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
some make them more creative Rich3232
This is what I often hear from artists.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

1.When you're extremely rich and/or famous you're overstimulated. Humans naturally have their dopamine levels adapt from temporary highs to new situations to "normal" levels over time. For example when you get a new girlfreind/job/car you feel really awesome for 2 weeks to a couple months, but after a while it becomes the norm and your happiness goes back to normal levels.

This exists to encourage humans to keep learning/gathering/following basic functions because otherwise humans would lose their drive quickly and go extinct.

Because they get anything they want, their dopamine levels adapt to having no challange in women, having any house/car/freinds/random object they want and they get bored over time as their brain adjusts and to feel anything at all they have to resort to hard drugs.

2. Culture of artists is shady.

3. money gives you access to sleeze.

4. artists have much higher rates of mental illness than the general population by default.

Combine those and you get drug problems among almost everybody in that situation.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Rich3232"]some make them more creative Wolfetan

I hear that from $**tty artists. The good ones tend to know that good art comes from hard work and dedication.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]I was expecting very deep and drawn out answers. I am not sure why the hell I was expecting that. BenedictArnold7

It isn't.

I'll repeat what I said in my first post, but in more detail- Drugs and alcohol help lower inhibitions.  That helps the creative process.  After awhile, it becomes a lifestyle.  It's that simple.  

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Rich3232"]some make them more creative MrGeezer

I hear that from $**tty artists. The good ones tend to know that good art comes from hard work and dedication.

You just called all artists sh*tty. Name one artist that didn't drink or do drugs.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts
Each celebrity seems to have a different reason for doing so, for instance Lindsey Lohan seems like a girl that missed out on her childhood due to her acting career, and now that she's wealthy and an adult has kind of overcompensated on living it up. Someone like Joaquin Phoenix or Corey Haim might have used drugs as their way of coping over traumatic sexual abuse they grew up with. And I remember River Phoenix died of a drug overdose as well, him and his family grew up in a sex cult called The Family, there's been documentaries on it, many of the children were abused and have grown up o abuse drugs and commit suicide. Corey Feldman as well was sexually abused like Corey Feldman, this was talked about in the Two Coreys show, and probably a reason why he too battled drug abuse. I remember an article a few months back stating that as far as the showbiz goes people being used for sexual favors is quite a fairly common thing even to this day. Some part of me wonders if Robert Downey Jr.'s past cocaine addiction stemmed from maybe exposing himself to it as a form of method acting for his role in Less Than Zero, and hadn't been able to shake the habit many years later, I can only speculate on that though.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Rich3232"]some make them more creative MrGeezer

They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
You just called all artists sh*tty. Name one artist that didn't drink or do drugs.Wolfetan
I don't know one person who doesn't do drugs. Regardless, there's a difference between "doing drugs and being creative", and "being creative BECAUSE you use drugs". I never said that drugs prevent people from being creative (though they certainly can), I said that drugs don't make people creative.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

There are all kinds of opinions out there... and I know it's not all of them, but this type of behavior defintely stands out in artists.  In part I think it is because most great artists feel a lot more than the average person... as they get older they may lose some of those strong emotions and they drug themselves to feel a lot again... to spark creativity.  It may also be due to the fact that as they get older they no longer want to play the songs they once loved to play... it becomes a job.  This depresses them and they do drugs to kill the pain brought on by losing what they once thought was pure.  What do you think?   

BenedictArnold7
it's not like people outside of the entertainment industry don't do drugs for similar reasons. it's just that the media focuses on artists who abuse drugs because most people love to eat that up. getting rlly rlly sad or rlly rlly bored isn't exclusive to artists.