Why do we respect people so much more once they're dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

This isn't just in the case of Michael Jackson's death, it's for everyone. When MJ was still alive, a lot of people were insulting him about how he had problems and was a pedophile. Now that he has passed away, I find that a lot more people have been saying nice things about him. This goes to all people; sometimes I see people talking, and someone says, "I hate that person!" and the other guy says, "Be quiet, he's dead!"

...So is it okay to say bad things about someone when they're alive!? When they actually live on this earth and will possibly be offended by what was said about them? We say bad things about everyone when they're still living and don't realize that they may be offended by what we say. I think it's really important to understand that backbiting or saying bad things about others is always a terrible thing, but that people should be equally respected when they're still alive and able to contribute to the development of the world. Thoughts?

EDIT: Some of you are misunderstanding. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect people as much after they've passed away, I'm saying we should respect people more while they're alive.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

People ry to remember the good, and the dead still have people that miss them.

_Verm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Verm
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts
Have you ever considered there are michael jackson fans shocked and saddened by the news he DIED? How are they supposed to react?
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

We didn't know what he was, until we lost him. I think thats how the saying goes anyway, I've always respected MJ. So I ain't on that list.

marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

well the media is being a hypocrite and he was one of those people that one thought was immortal...but what your saying happens alot especially with artists...wasnt da vinci unpopular during his time but know is regarded as a god

scaryteddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scaryteddy
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts

I'm sure that will all be coming in time. It would show pretty bad taste to start bringing back up all the problems he had immediatly after he passed away. No matter what you might think about him, he still has family and fans who are grieving right now and should be respected.

Krusty40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krusty40
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts
Thats not always the case. Jade Goody is dead and i still cant think of many good things to say about her, if any. Its not that im gloating or disrespecting the dead, its just that my opinion of her remains the exact same now as it did when she was alive.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
What's this we talk? I don't. My feelings toward MJ, Farrah Fawcett, and Ed McMahon remain the same as when they were alive. The media on the other hand......
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

Greatness is never appreciated in youth, called pride in midlife, dismissed in old age, and reconsidered in death because we cannot tolerate greatness within our midst, thus we must do all we can to destroy it.

- Babylon 5, Lady Morella

marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Thats not always the case. Jade Goody is dead and i still cant think of many good things to say about her, if any. Its not that im gloating or disrespecting the dead, its just that my opinion of her remains the exact same now as it did when she was alive.Krusty40
i never understood all the hype was she really that much of an ass...i dont watch big brother

Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts

We don't know what he was, until we lost it. sam280992

probably the best way to say it.

Edziscs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Edziscs
Member since 2006 • 444 Posts

It's just thatfans don't go around saying- Mike is great, he's a star, woopady doo- i luv u.. We got haters for that..

But it would be illogical for fans not to say something after somethi as shocking as this!

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

[QUOTE="Krusty40"]Thats not always the case. Jade Goody is dead and i still cant think of many good things to say about her, if any. Its not that im gloating or disrespecting the dead, its just that my opinion of her remains the exact same now as it did when she was alive.marluxia101

i never understood all the hype was she really that much of an ass...i dont watch big brother

Yes she really was, But the reason we respect people when they are dead is just decency, they have just lost there life and we see them in a different light and respect that.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

You guys should read my edit in my first post. Some of you are misunderstanding me. :)

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

I still see him the same way as when he was alive. The guy probably commited suicide with all the debts he has to pay :/

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i don't, i don't think anybody should. i remember going to my dads funeral and everybody but me got up to say something about him. i couldn't find anything nice (he was a real piece of work) in fact, i remember laughing halfway through thinking "they're really doing his memory a disservice" voltaire said it best....

"to the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth"

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I'm not sure. Maybe it's just to reinforce the image that you yourself had of them to help you remember long after they are gone. As for MJ, I don't know. I mean he's been practically dead for the last 10 years. It really was no surprise.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
Have you ever considered there are michael jackson fans shocked and saddened by the news he DIED? How are they supposed to react?_Verm
Well there obvioulsy are Michael Jackson fans. But Recently his private life has overshawoded his music career. Also, why do you think everyone is now buying his albums like crazy. I think he's got the number one album on itunes and his albums are selling out in stores.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
you don't remember people for bad, you remember them for the good that they happened to do.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
i've never insukted MJ. micheal is the man, the myth, the legend.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

[QUOTE="Krusty40"]Thats not always the case. Jade Goody is dead and i still cant think of many good things to say about her, if any. Its not that im gloating or disrespecting the dead, its just that my opinion of her remains the exact same now as it did when she was alive.marluxia101

Rob-Belmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rob-Belmont
Member since 2009 • 1350 Posts

My guess is, when you loose something you realize how much you appreciated it, or how it should have had more of your appreciation. Ever had a time when you we're a kid and you lost a certain toy? It might not have been your favorite toy, but you've lost it and you'll never be able to play with it again.

matisrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 matisrock
Member since 2007 • 679 Posts

If there was something good that the person did, we emphasize that over the weirdness (in Jackson's case) out of respect for the dead, and his achievements.

When someone like Charles Manson dies, we all accept that he really had no redeeming values, and that'll be that.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Well, for celebrities, it's the media that makes them look good or bad so people judge them by that. Other people, it's probably not best to do it around people who liked the person. To some people, it's like one of those "Don't know what you've got til' it's gone." type of things.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

We didn't know what he was, until we lost him. I think thats how the saying goes anyway, I've always respected MJ. So I ain't on that list.

sam280992
do you mean "We don't know what we have, until it's gone"? either way i agree with u.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Before I die I'm gonna make a video tape of me doing terrible things, so people remember that i wasn't amazing. I hate it when people do that, its annoying.

LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

It's just taboo in our society to speak ill of the dead, right after they die anyways. The media will just air whatever they think will be more interesting to viewers, which since there's no real news about all the kiddie stuff, the easiest thing to do is "celebrate" his life. Personally, my opinion hasn't changed about him.

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts
You don't appreciate something as much until it's gone.
furqan2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 furqan2006
Member since 2006 • 384 Posts
true, but sometimes even if the guy is dead people hate him. I bet thats whats we are all going to do when Osama Bin-Landen dies. ahahahah am i right ppl.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Believe it or not, Death brings people closer together. I always respected Michael because he is a powerful influence to the things I want done.