Why do we have to be respectful in court?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by achilles614 (5309 posts) -
I'm surprised to see OT in such unison. Also surprised to see so many fail to grasp the point. The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge, to an extent (you shouldn't threaten the judge or anything else illegal). For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional, if the judge was so sure the initial judgement was proper, changing it undermines the validity of the initial decision in my opinion. But I'm not surprised to see people accept the world we're presented and not even question whether or not it is right. [spoiler] Awaiting personal attacks and other comments befitting of an unintelligent person. Surprise me and post something intelligent for once OT...I know you have it in you. [/spoiler]
#52 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -
[QUOTE="achilles614"]I'm surprised to see OT in such unison. Also surprised to see so many fail to grasp the point. The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge, to an extent (you shouldn't threaten the judge or anything else illegal). For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional, if the judge was so sure the initial judgement was proper, changing it undermines the validity of the initial decision in my opinion. But I'm not surprised to see people accept the world we're presented and not even question whether or not it is right. [spoiler] Awaiting personal attacks and other comments befitting of an unintelligent person. Surprise me and post something intelligent for once OT...I know you have it in you. [/spoiler]

"The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge" In the case of the contempt here the disrespect toward the court was the crime. You can't compare the 30 day sentence she got to the sentence she was lookng at before the disrespect because NO SENTENCE EXISTED. " For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional" He did no such thing.
#53 Posted by ad1x2 (6732 posts) -
To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin.
#55 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
[QUOTE="achilles614"]I'm surprised to see OT in such unison. Also surprised to see so many fail to grasp the point. The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge, to an extent (you shouldn't threaten the judge or anything else illegal). For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional, if the judge was so sure the initial judgement was proper, changing it undermines the validity of the initial decision in my opinion. But I'm not surprised to see people accept the world we're presented and not even question whether or not it is right. [spoiler] Awaiting personal attacks and other comments befitting of an unintelligent person. Surprise me and post something intelligent for once OT...I know you have it in you. [/spoiler]

Why are you needlessly attacking OT by calling them unintelligent. Makes your point about personal attacks seem hypocritical.
#56 Posted by achilles614 (5309 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="achilles614"]I'm surprised to see OT in such unison. Also surprised to see so many fail to grasp the point. The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge, to an extent (you shouldn't threaten the judge or anything else illegal). For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional, if the judge was so sure the initial judgement was proper, changing it undermines the validity of the initial decision in my opinion. But I'm not surprised to see people accept the world we're presented and not even question whether or not it is right. [spoiler] Awaiting personal attacks and other comments befitting of an unintelligent person. Surprise me and post something intelligent for once OT...I know you have it in you. [/spoiler]

"The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge" In the case of the contempt here the disrespect toward the court was the crime. You can't compare the 30 day sentence she got to the sentence she was lookng at before the disrespect because NO SENTENCE EXISTED. " For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional" He did no such thing.

Was not referring to the video. "To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin." I'm incredibly respectful to most people that are typically given respect. My professors are treated with the most respect and the rest trickles down from there. Though I don't believe any specific profession should be given respect without question. What if that authority figure or elder is a piece of crap themselves? @Dave-someone who would provide personal attack over a real rebuttal is someone I would deem likely to be unintelligent. That does in no way mean all of OT is unintelligent...there are many people on this board I consider very intelligent, more so than myself.
#57 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin.ad1x2
Very true. Youth of today have no manners. Can't count the number of times I see young dingalngs on their phones texting away when eating out. Especially the college aged crowd
#58 Posted by achilles614 (5309 posts) -
[QUOTE="ad1x2"]To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin.dave123321
Very true. Youth of today have no manners. Can't count the number of times I see young dingalngs on their phones texting away when eating out. Especially the college aged crowd

Or worse, in class while the professor is trying to lecture or hold a discussion.
#59 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -
[QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="achilles614"]I'm surprised to see OT in such unison. Also surprised to see so many fail to grasp the point. The sentence/fine/whatever have you (for all you fvckers into semantics) for the crime should be the same regardless of your respect shown towards the judge, to an extent (you shouldn't threaten the judge or anything else illegal). For a judge to change a punishment after it is given (basing that change on a snide remark) is equally petty and unprofessional, if the judge was so sure the initial judgement was proper, changing it undermines the validity of the initial decision in my opinion. But I'm not surprised to see people accept the world we're presented and not even question whether or not it is right. [spoiler] Awaiting personal attacks and other comments befitting of an unintelligent person. Surprise me and post something intelligent for once OT...I know you have it in you. [/spoiler]

Was not referring to the video. "To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin." I'm incredibly respectful to most people that are typically given respect. My professors are treated with the most respect and the rest trickles down from there. Though I don't believe any specific profession should be given respect without question. What if that authority figure or elder is a piece of crap themselves?

"Was not referring to the video." Then what were you referencing? A made-up hypothetical scenario not based in reality?
#60 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="ad1x2"]To be honest, the fact that so many people in this thread as well as the other court thread are debating why we should be respectful is just a sign that some of your parents did a poor job raising you. I was raised to give respect to my elders, authority figures, and pretty much everybody else that isn't a piece of crap. Kids today think that you have to go out of their way to earn their respect and until you do so they can talk to you however they want to and if you complain you have thin skin.achilles614

Or worse, in class while the professor is trying to lecture or hold a discussion.

Yup. Very disrespectful. Would always get on my nerves when people would talk in class too. Rude and distracting
#61 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -

THank you lol. Its so funny to see people tell you its the way society is and call you an idiot. Its exactly what i was saying go back and check on how many people called me out and told me i was an idiot. im glad someone sees this point of view.
#62 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -
The court, as a public instrument without any sort of enforcement tools at its disposal, relies heavily on the awe and respect it generates with the public as a venue. Maintaining the appearance of respectability, and not letting its status erode to that of (say) public schools- with an expectation to accept a degree of mischievous behaviour, is crucial to its function and efficacy. k?
#63 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -
also, what's the point of bail as a tool of deterrence, at all, if it patently has no effect on its target.
#65 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -

Because without rules, there's chaos!

#66 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
I wonder why you have to dress up to go to court,I should wear whatever the hell I want
#67 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -
I wonder why you have to dress up to go to court,I should wear whatever the hell I want Bucked20
You can dress like a dirtbag if you want, just keep in mind that the court or a jury may make a judgement about your character based on how you present yourself.
#68 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]I wonder why you have to dress up to go to court,I should wear whatever the hell I want thegerg
You can dress like a dirtbag if you want, just keep in mind that the court or a jury may make a judgement about your character based on how you present yourself.

Tf is dressing like a dirtbag
#69 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Bucked20"]I wonder why you have to dress up to go to court,I should wear whatever the hell I want Bucked20

Is it? I didn't know that.
#70 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="thegerg"] You can dress like a dirtbag if you want, just keep in mind that the court or a jury may make a judgement about your character based on how you present yourself.

I said wtf is dressing like a dirtbag?Wearing your everyday street clothes?you should be able to wear whatever you want to in court.
#71 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Bucked20"] Tf is dressing like a dirtbag Bucked20

I said wtf is dressing like a dirtbag?Wearing your everyday street clothes?you should be able to wear whatever you want to in court.

" I said wtf is dressing like a dirtbag?"

No, you didn't.

Dressing like a dirtbag is wearing clothing that a dirtbag would wear in a way which a dirtbag would wear it. It's quite self-explanatory.

#72 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Is it? I didn't know that.thegerg

No, you didn't.

Dressing like a dirtbag is wearing clothing that a dirtbag would wear in a way which a dirtbag would wear it. It's quite self-explanatory.

tf=the f*ck,so yes I did ask you You clearly don't even know what you're talking about,I guess everyone is a dirtbag then
#73 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"] I said wtf is dressing like a dirtbag?Wearing your everyday street clothes?you should be able to wear whatever you want to in court.Bucked20

No, you didn't.

tf=the f*ck,so yes I did ask you You clearly don't even know what you're talking about,I guess everyone is a dirtbag then

" tf=the f*ck,so yes I did ask you"

No, you wrote an incomplete sentence stating that "Tf is dressing like a dirtbag." You didn't ask anyone anything.

What makes you think that I don't know what I'm talking about? You seem to be very confused.

#74 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="thegerg"] You can dress like a dirtbag if you want, just keep in mind that the court or a jury may make a judgement about your character based on how you present yourself.

lol
#75 Posted by bnarmz (1372 posts) -

why you have to be respectful in court? The only respect I think should be upheld is the way you treat each other, in simple words... talking nice to each other. Imo, being forced to wear certain clothes, standing up when a judge enters the room, or little simple silly stuff like not removing a hat is just another form of abusive authority. It's arrogant, brainwashing, and causes people to feel disempowered because they are force to comply over stupid rules that really have no effect on the case at hand, its just silly and a hit on your rights. If you judge a book by its cover then you shouldn't be in a position to be judging anyone at all. but hey, they do say justice is blind...go figure

#76 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="thegerg"]

No, you didn't.

thegerg

" tf=the f*ck,so yes I did ask you" No, you wrote an incomplete sentence stating that "Tf is dressing like a dirtbag." You didn't ask anyone anything. What makes you think that I don't know what I'm talking about? You seem to be very confused.

lol do you really not get tired of yourself?
#77 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
It deters from solving the situation.
#78 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="thegerg"]

No, you didn't.

thegerg

No, you wrote an incomplete sentence stating that "Tf is dressing like a dirtbag." You didn't ask anyone anything.

What makes you think that I don't know what I'm talking about? You seem to be very confused.

Admit it,you don't know what the hell you're trying to say
#79 Posted by ad1x2 (6732 posts) -
What if that authority figure or elder is a piece of crap themselves?achilles614
You have to use common sense when reading my statement instead of taking it 100% literally. Obviously somebody like Jerry Sandusky won't get my respect despite him being my elder.
#80 Posted by thegerg (18424 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"] tf=the f*ck,so yes I did ask you You clearly don't even know what you're talking about,I guess everyone is a dirtbag then Bucked20

Admit it,you don't know what the hell you're trying to say

I know exactly what I'm saying, and I've already said it. Again, you can dress like a dirtbag if you want, just keep in mind that the court or a jury may make a judgement about your character based on how you present yourself.
#81 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -
i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.
#82 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163228 posts) -

Speaking of intelligence....bail is not a sentence nor a fine. F....
#83 Posted by ad1x2 (6732 posts) -
i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.dragonmaster64
So what is the main point? By the way, you might want to change the word "excepting" to accepting in your sig.
#84 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -
[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"]i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.ad1x2
So what is the main point? By the way, you might want to change the word "excepting" to accepting in your sig.

made that sig like 5 or 6 years ago maybe more, but im to lazy lol the main point is that at the end of the day justice is justice and should never be swayed by emotions, sentimentals or anything. Justice is Justice.
#85 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.dragonmaster64

The main point is that you don't understand what contempt of court is

How old are you?

#86 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="dragonmaster64"]i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.dragonmaster64

made that sig like 5 or 6 years ago maybe more, but im to lazy lol the main point is that at the end of the day justice is justice and should never be swayed by emotions, sentimentals or anything. Justice is Justice.

The amount of typos you use makes me think you're not that old.

Ok, when you grow up you'll learn that there's certain rules you must follow in the courtroom, when you fail to follow those rules you end up in something we call "contempt of court" which has nothing to do with whatever you're being seen for.

#87 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"][QUOTE="ad1x2"] So what is the main point? By the way, you might want to change the word "excepting" to accepting in your sig.Jaysonguy

The amount of typos you use makes me think you're not that old.

Ok, when you grow up you'll learn that there's certain rules you must follow in the courtroom, when you fail to follow those rules you end up in something we call "contempt of court" which has nothing to do with whatever you're being seen for.

i guess im mostly refering to when the girl said adios to the judge. That was clearly wrong on the judges point of view.
#88 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163228 posts) -

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="dragonmaster64"]i think everyones missing the main point of the thread or didnt understand the main point.dragonmaster64

Yeah Ican see how typing a word requires so much effort.:roll:

FYI...bail is not sentencing.

#89 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dragonmaster64"][QUOTE="ad1x2"] So what is the main point? By the way, you might want to change the word "excepting" to accepting in your sig.

Yeah I can see how typing a word requires so much effort.:roll:

i know right???
#90 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
Do you mean why do they expect you to kiss up to the judge in court ?
#91 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -

justice is justice and should never be swayed by emotions, sentimentals or anything. Justice is Justice.dragonmaster64

what is justice?

#92 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163228 posts) -
Do you mean why do they expect you to kiss up to the judge in court ? Bucked20
Proper court room behavior is not kissing up....
#93 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"] justice is justice and should never be swayed by emotions, sentimentals or anything. Justice is Justice.pie-junior

what is justice?

I am Kira! lol jk justice should be the law void of emotions..etc. If you believe in God in a sense easier to explain as God is the true judge, and justice stems from him.
#94 Posted by BlackHawk340 (4418 posts) -

Punishments should be decided on what and how bad the crime was not on how someone acts in court.
The fact the judge punished the girl for how she acts made it clear hes not fit to be judge anymore.

They should always be neutral even if the person in the stands is a total douche.

#95 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"] justice is justice and should never be swayed by emotions, sentimentals or anything. Justice is Justice.dragonmaster64

what is justice?

I am Kira! lol jk justice should be the law void of emotions..etc. If you believe in God in a sense easier to explain as God is the true judge, and justice stems from him.

what is the 'law void of emotions?'

Do you think there is some statute somewhere dictating the exact sum of bail that needs to be set for every set of charges and every set of personal circumstances?

#96 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -

Punishments should be decided on what and how bad the crime was not on how someone acts in court.
The fact the judge punished the girl for how she acts made it clear hes not fit to be judge anymore.

They should always be neutral even if the person in the stands is a total douche.

BlackHawk340
Thank you
#97 Posted by ad1x2 (6732 posts) -

BlackHawk340
Going by that theory you should make no effort to dress up or be respectful during a job interview since your credentials should speak for itself.
#98 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6104 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]

what is justice?

pie-junior

Do you think there is some statute somewhere dictating the exact sum of bail that needs to be set for every set of charges and every set of personal circumstances?

I think your missing the point.
#99 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"] I am Kira! lol jk justice should be the law void of emotions..etc. If you believe in God in a sense easier to explain as God is the true judge, and justice stems from him.dragonmaster64

I think your missing the point.

What is the point, then? The law has different functions to play in societal order. punishment or retribution is not the only function for criminal law. You could easily argue it isn't even the pivotal one. Important functions of criminal law are maintaining public order and insuring the efficacy of the judicial process. Maintaining public respect for the court is crucial, then, for executing justice. no emotion or nuffin
#100 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I wonder why you have to dress up to go to court,I should wear whatever the hell I want Bucked20
You can dress as you want as long as you're not disruptive; like wearing a clown suit. They're not going to tell a man who makes 10k a year to go buy a 1k suit.