Why do some people park their cars backwards into their driveway?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It doesn't make you get out faster is that the psychology behind it? or is it something else?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Access to the trunk so you don't have to go around the car. Useful when driveway width is barely car width.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@br0kenrabbit said:

Access to the trunk so you don't have to go around the car. Useful when driveway width is barely car width.

Not a bad answer but I still think it's more of a hassle to pull in backwards.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 br0kenrabbit

@warmblur said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Meh, I learned to drive backing down a half-mile dirt driveway that wasn't straight anywhere. Only problem with backing up is it has become harder to look over my shoulder these past few years.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Reversing is a pain. Easier to just get in and pull out.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 br0kenrabbit
@MirkoS77 said:

Reversing is a pain. Easier to just get in and pull out.

A lot of people seem to instinctually feel that going in reverse also reverses direction of steering. It doesn't. Turn right to go right, left to go left.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@warmblur said:

It doesn't make you get out faster is that the psychology behind it? or is it something else?

For me, whenever I'm in a tight parking lane, I always park in reverse so I can actually see when it's time to leave and looking out behind can be dangerous due to cars do drive faster and no one won't let you get out so yeah, parking in reverse is alot safer cause I have access to were I can see my surroundings.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Because you can? Also trunk closest to the house is convenient. My car has 360 degree cameras that give me view around my entire car - so parking, pulling into reverse is never a hassle.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i only have reversing cameras on the car and i'm not the best at judging parking

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

If you live on a busy road its easier to stop traffic and reverse in than it is to reversing out with limited vision of the busy road.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@davillain- said:
@warmblur said:

For me, whenever I'm in a tight parking lane, I always park in reverse so I can actually see when it's time to leave and looking out behind can be dangerous due to cars do drive faster and no one won't let you get out so yeah, parking in reverse is alot safer cause I have access to were I can see my surroundings.

It definitely makes more sense in a parking lot I can see that but I was referring it to people's home driveways.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@warmblur said:
@davillain- said:
@warmblur said:

It definitely makes more sense in a parking lot I can see that but I was referring it to people's home driveways.

Oh, also that too and I can see much better as I leave my house.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

To save the effort of carefully reversing out of the driveway when you depart.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

It's easier for when leaving, for me.

But mainly out of consideration of my wife. If I happen to use the car she frequents, I'll reverse it because 1) it's easier for her to have trunk access and 2) get the kids in the car and 3) then leave. It's safer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Because it's safer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
deactivated-5f2a4f5973528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

I read some psychology thing in the past that parking facing towards the road stops theivery to a degree. Who knows if that's true (actually, it's probably not), and if anyone else read this, but just thought it was notable.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm a truck driver. My daily life involves backing up. Backing into a parking spot or driveway (either in a truck or four-wheeler) is safer for the driver than driving in and backing out.

Why? Vision of the road you are entering/backing onto. In a car, you can see out your back windows and usually now you have backup and "360-vision" cameras and cross-traffic alert systems... but for those who don't drive brand new cars, even backing a car into traffic can be a pain sometimes.

Now make that a 70-foot long combination vehicle with no rear visibility, no cameras and potentially obstructions to each side being unable to see the road. It's not safe or recommended, and usually requires a spotter who can stop/direct traffic.

When you back in and drive out, you are moving forwards, and have a full view of what's going on. I always prefer backing into a spot, or "pulling through" in a parking lot (in either vehicle).

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Easier to get out rather reversing to get out, especially in a busy parking lot.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Safer than backing into traffic to leave.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@omegamaster said:

Easier to get out rather reversing to get out, especially in a busy parking lot.

@LJS9502_basic said:

Safer than backing into traffic to leave.

You guys need to learn that coveted skill of the end-of-the-driveway 90-degree-spin into the flow. Clutch, brake, shift and go.

;-p

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm a truck driver. My daily life involves backing up. Backing into a parking spot or driveway (either in a truck or four-wheeler) is safer for the driver than driving in and backing out.

Why? Vision of the road you are entering/backing onto. In a car, you can see out your back windows and usually now you have backup and "360-vision" cameras and cross-traffic alert systems... but for those who don't drive brand new cars, even backing a car into traffic can be a pain sometimes.

Now make that a 70-foot long combination vehicle with no rear visibility, no cameras and potentially obstructions to each side being unable to see the road. It's not safe or recommended, and usually requires a spotter who can stop/direct traffic.

When you back in and drive out, you are moving forwards, and have a full view of what's going on. I always prefer backing into a spot, or "pulling through" in a parking lot (in either vehicle).

Dad was a trucker. I thought it was such a cool job since he had beds in the back, but man those hours/days are long.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

In smaller parking spots I find it far easier to reverse park.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@warmblur said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

That would depend on the skill level of the person driving whether it's more difficult or not.

In my case I do it sometimes because I park on the left side of our two car garage. In the winter a lot of water pools near the rear of my car and I can't get to the driver's side door without walking around back and through it. Also, if I reverse in I can get into the driver's seat without opening the garage door. The only problem is my charger cable doesn't reach very well because it's on the left wall of the garage.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thehig1

@foxhound_fox: no reverse cameras on your trucks yet ?

Is that a canada thing or is your fleet old school?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@foxhound_fox: no reverse cameras on your trucks yet ?

Is that a canada thing or is your fleet old school?

That's an industry thing. They exist, but they aren't factory standard. Also, if you are constantly switching trailers, it's hard to move the camera from trailer to trailer.

@shellcase86 said:

Dad was a trucker. I thought it was such a cool job since he had beds in the back, but man those hours/days are long.

They aren't bad if you enjoy the work. Driving for me is fun, even high traffic stuff like Chicago. If you are working a full day outside the truck, yeah, it's really long, but driving is usually just relaxing. Especially when you've got the windows down, tunes cranked and nothing but open road ahead.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thehig1

@foxhound_fox: I think there more common in the UK ive seen a fair amount.

Jovay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jovay
Member since 2019 • 12 Posts

I live in a kind of horseshoe shaped Crescent with a Pre-School in the middle and drive a van (iLoad) with only side panels, so reversing in makes leaving much easier as you see better (especially when pre-school drop-off/pickup is on). There is also that semi-feeling of security that that the back of the van is up against the fence and the back can't be lifted up and it's the only part you can really see what's in the back of it from.

This scenario and it's two way traffic:

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#28 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Less stuffing around when you want to pull out I suppose. Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

In the Wintertime it is much easier for a front-wheel-drive car to get out of the parking space when it doesn't have to back up.

Instamixes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Instamixes
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts

I like to park my car in reverse because when I have to leave I can just pull out my car in no time. And I just have the habit of parking this way. Just park as you like to park. LOL ...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

In a garage I don't see the point, but in drive ways I've always just done it so trunk is closet to gate/front door.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#32 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I don't drive, but I typically slammed my car into the garage door in GTA. Much quicker.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't back in, cuz my driveway is steep, and my front bumper actually bottoms out if I drive straight out of it.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

@jaydan said:

Because you can? Also trunk closest to the house is convenient. My car has 360 degree cameras that give me view around my entire car - so parking, pulling into reverse is never a hassle.

Yeah, I have also seen people with kids do it to get them out of the backseats with how the doors open. Then they just have to pull the carseat out of the door instead of trying to wrangle around the door.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

In my case we can barely fit three cars in the driveway and, stupidly, one person parking on the street leads to roommate drama so no, we can't do that.

Anyway, I pull in backwards so my driver's side door has enough room to get open, and my roommate pulls in nose first so he has enough room to get out. Everyone wins.

Also, it might not be practical, but I like waking up in the morning and just getting in my car and rolling forward out of my driveway. It's usually dark when I wake up, I'm stiff and don't want to turn my head, it's nice to just casually roll out.

And backing into the driveway is not as much a pain in the ass as you make it out to be lol.

*Oh yeah and if you live on a busy street (like a two-lane road with lots of traffic) it's easier to simply stop then back in on your way into your driveway than to back out into a busy road. The latter is sketchy as hell, actually, especially if you're view is limited you basically have to make sure the coast is clear then back out and hope whoever is driving 45 mph down the road sees you.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Learn to use your mirrors when you reverse.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

i pull in that way when i have a lot of shit to unload or something very bulky / heavy. just easier to get it into my garage that way.. let the car do the work rather than me.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

I reverse into every parking spot, more people should too. People are complete goons when backing out of spots.