Why do some people get offended so easily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

Today my mom said she wanted to get pizza, then asked me if I wanted to as well. I was pretty full since I already had Taco Bell earlier so I just said, "Umm, I don't really care, you can do whatever you want." Then suddenly she gets mad at me for "not having an opinion" and "acting like a stranger in the house." Perhaps I missed something, because that conversation really escalated quickly: she started yelling at me and told me to "leave the room" after I just said that I didn't mind whether she ordered food from outside or not. She continued yelling and demanding that I leave the room until I finally got fed up and left. At some point before I left I wanted to let her know that I had no intentions of offending her, and that she was taking it way out of proportion, but it would've been a lot easier if I was actually given a chance to speak. I figured that such a pathetic "issue" just wasn't worth my time.

I'd just like to know, why do some people get upset so easily and just freak out at the littlest things? I just don't like people of the sort.

EDIT: In case you haven't read my posts after this one, I did tell her a couple times that I was full and already ate. She just carried on the argument.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Maybe you had a "whatever" attitude and she just wanted an answer from you?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Dude my parents are the same way smh.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts
Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.UT_Wrestler
He needs to show Respect?Its not like he disrespected her.He isnt the problem,its his mom.
zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zoraluv
Member since 2010 • 8319 Posts

Why did'nt you say

"Nah, i'm full right now"

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.JordanizPro
He needs to show Respect?Its not like he disrespected her.He isnt the problem,its his mom.

He could have been more polite. You should always explain why you're refusing something so you don't come off as an ***. No offense to TC. You just need to work on the way you say things.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.JordanizPro

Yeah because I'm sure he didn't respond to her with any sort of attitude when she offered him food that he doesn't have to pay for, nor ever has.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Why did'nt you say

zoraluv
Exactly. Plus you might have had a "whatever" attitude.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
seems like the problems run deeper than just that instance. or maybe she is an overly-sensitive *****, idk.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I thought this was going to be some public relations issue or something....but your mom? :lol:
Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tigerman950

Why did'nt you say

zoraluv

I explained this to her. She was still upset for me not having an opinion as to what she should get or not get for herself and my brother.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I doubt it's just that that got her worked up, there's probably more problems that she was trying to suppress and let it all out then. You should have a talk to her and ask her if everything's alright
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

Apathy is death.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tigerman950

I doubt it's just that that got her worked up, there's probably more problems that she was trying to suppress and let it all out then. You should have a talk to her and ask her if everything's alrightEJ902

I'll cut her some slack since my dad left for Pakistan for two weeks and has been gone for a week now--it's only been so long after he has first checked on things after my grandfather on his side passed. Anyway, she was upset yesterday that my brother and I were out with friends for the whole day (even though she said we could as long as we didn't break curfew, and we didn't). When we got home, she shouted and complained at both of us for "leaving the house while our dad is away" since there is no one else to keep her company except for our youngest brother. This made no sense, since she insisted that we leave so that she could have some time to herself. So I understand that her mood has had its odd turns, if being understanding is what it takes then that's what I'll try my best to do.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Its annoying to hear I duno.. whatever...
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanizPro"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.UT_Wrestler

Yeah because I'm sure he didn't respond to her with any sort of attitude when she offered him food that he doesn't have to pay for, nor ever has.

Well going off the information given to us he certainly didn't do anything to merit that kind of response.

zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zoraluv

[QUOTE="zoraluv"]

Why did'nt you say

Tigerman950

I explained this to her. She was still upset for me not having an opinion as to what she should get or not get for herself and my brother.

wait, wait

your mom, asked you what she should buy for herself and your brother?

Sounds unlikly son.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

TC in this situation the pizza is a metaphorical symbol for the intense frustration that your mother feels in the domestic arrangement you currently share.

I expect that there are many times in a day that she asks you your opinion or some such thing, only to be replied with a 'whatever' grunt and shrug, seems to me this whole pizza thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back - the one-time-too-many that made her snap.

For a good 12 years or so this woman made sure you had everything you needed when you needed it etc, she had probably been stressing over what to make/get you for dinner along with goodness knows what else she had to do, she might have even thought that ordering pizza would be a nice 'treat' you would appreciate. It really shouldn't be hard to say 'No, I ate earlier so I'm not hungry, but thanks all the same.'

You might be old enough to sort food yourself out now, but it'll take her a while to get used to the idea that she doesn't need to stress over you like when you were a kid, in the mean time I'm sure she only wants you to at least try to consider her point of view and communicate like a human being.

Edit: Also the fact that your dad is away is obviously going to make things even more hectic and stressed than usual.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tigerman950

[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

[QUOTE="zoraluv"]

Why did'nt you say

zoraluv

wait, wait

Sounds unlikly son.

She assumed I would eat some too, so that I was obliged to have an opinion. This is when I again told her I was full, but she kept assuming I'd want some.
Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Some people like me dwell on the most minature aspects of interactions, leaving most of them with a bitter aftertaste. I don't freak out tho because i'm convinced most people aren't trying to be offensive.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
It's not what you said.....It's the way you said it
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16039 Posts

TC in this situation the pizza is a metaphorical symbol for the intense frustration that your mother feels in the domestic arrangement you currently share.

I expect that there are many times in a day that she asks you your opinion or some such thing, only to be replied with a 'whatever' grunt and shrug, seems to me this whole pizza thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back - the one-time-too-many that made her snap.

For a good 12 years or so this woman made sure you had everything you needed when you needed it etc, she had probably been stressing over what to make/get you for dinner along with goodness knows what else she had to do, she might have even thought that ordering pizza would be a nice 'treat' you would appreciate. It really shouldn't be hard to say 'No, I ate earlier so I'm not hungry, but thanks all the same.'

You might be old enough to sort food yourself out now, but it'll take her a while to get used to the idea that she doesn't need to stress over you like when you were a kid, in the mean time I'm sure she only wants you to at least try to consider her point of view and communicate like a human being.

Edit: Also the fact that your dad is away is obviously going to make things even more hectic and stressed than usual.

MissLibrarian

I agree. You would make a good shrink! :twisted:

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
haha teenage angst
zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zoraluv

[QUOTE="zoraluv"]

[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

Tigerman950

wait, wait

Sounds unlikly son.

She assumed I would eat some too, so that I was obliged to have an opinion. This is when I again told her I was full, but she kept assuming I'd want some.

and righhht abbouttt noww

i've stopped caring. sorry bro. too much talk over pizza

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Why did you say "I don't really care"? That was completely unnecessary.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#28 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

People aren't really easily offended. I find that when people ask this question, it's because they've just done something incredibly rude or offensive, but then don't like being called on it, so they just call the person they just insulted "easily offended."

Today my mom said she wanted to get pizza, then asked me if I wanted to as well. I was pretty full since I already had Taco Bell earlier so I just said, "Umm, I don't really care, you can do whatever you want." Then suddenly she gets mad at me for "not having an opinion" and "acting like a stranger in the house." Perhaps I missed something, because that conversation really escalated quickly: she started yelling at me and told me to "leave the room" after I just said that I didn't mind whether she ordered food from outside or not. She continued yelling and demanding that I leave the room until I finally got fed up and left. At some point before I left I wanted to let her know that I had no intentions of offending her, and that she was taking it way out of proportion, but it would've been a lot easier if I was actually given a chance to speak. I figured that such a pathetic "issue" just wasn't worth my time.

I'd just like to know, why do some people get upset so easily and just freak out at the littlest things? I just don't like people of the sort.

EDIT: In case you haven't read my posts after this one, I did tell her a couple times that I was full and already ate. She just carried on the argument.Tigerman950

But in this case, I really don't get it. If it really happened like you described, she had nothing to get upset about.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#29 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.UT_Wrestler
When did he disrespect her?

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Well you could have just told her right away that you weren't hungry because you already ate. Show some respect to the woman who chose not to have an abortion has spent several hundred thousand dollars on you during your lifespan.BuryMe

When did he disrespect her?

This,
I figured that such a pathetic "issue" just wasn't worth my time.Tigerman950
She is having a serious conversation with him and he just upped and left.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

MissLibrarian

This is an outstanding response. I would read this carefully if you want to understand your mom's perspective.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
woman are usually overly sensitive. Its been like that since day one, your mom is no different. Just answer woman straight. Saying you dont care, she seen it as you being rude. Just say no thanks, nothing extra.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Thread title should be "why do women ge offended so easily?" And the answer to that question is that they just are. Women get irritated over everything and there is nothing you can do about it because it will always be your fault. There is nothing really you can do but learn to live with it.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

You probably sounded rude. And TC is she fat?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Your mom has menopause. Get ready for a rocky 4ish years.
Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tigerman950

You probably sounded rude. And TC is she fat?

dunl12496
I responded with a shrug and said, "I don't really care, it doesn't matter to me. You can do whatever you want." I also remember saying it very softly and relaxed. I didn't have an arrogant or "whatever" attitude. I just wanted to leave the decision up to her since only she wanted it and not me, and I felt like I wasnt in a position to answer. I even explained why I didn't mind: because I wasn't hungry.
Shadow-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Shadow-Elite
Member since 2007 • 18289 Posts

"acting like a stranger in the house." Tigerman950

i say that was the primiary reason she was upset. Do you ever just talk to your mom about your day or something?

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

"Umm, I don't really care, you can do whatever you want." Tigerman950

Well I would usually say a line like that with a good dose of contempt . Therefore, I wouldn't say it to my mom. Depends how you said it I guess. However, if you said it nicely and the everything went exactly as you said, then I'm not sure why she would have gotten so worked up.

Also,

Thread title should be "why do women ge offended so easily?" And the answer to that question is that they just are. Women get irritated over everything and there is nothing you can do about it because it will always be your fault. There is nothing really you can do but learn to live with it.Jolt_counter119

Way to make this into a 'women' thing. I find that offensive.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

da-big-girl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 da-big-girl007
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

Dude my parents are the same way smh.

JordanizPro

^^^