qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Reading is one of the best things you can do. Besides giving knowledge, it is mentally stimulating, relaxing, and entertaining. It makes your mind active.

I read almost all the time, rather it be online articles, ebooks, paper books, magazines, etc. Of course, I mostly read about subjects that interest me. But due to my constant reading, I come across new subjects often, subjects that I would never have thought about otherwise. It really does take you to other worlds, and exposes you to new ideas, new opinions, new places, etc.

I really love reading. Like I said, it is so mentally stimulating and relaxing. I would say it's better than video games, and definitely better than watching TV.

I've noticed that people who hate reading, often seem to be going off some old stereotype and nothing more. A silly stereotype like "reading is for nerds." Other times, people seem to hate reading simply because it makes them think. Bottomline is, in U.S. culture, reading is often disparaged. I also read that, reading improves memory and concentration. It is the main way to get knowledge. Your mind is active when reading, it basically infinitely benefits the mind.

Why do so many people hate reading? Do you like reading?

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sexay_Vixen
Member since 2018 • 46 Posts

I read in another thread that a man like fudge cake and in another thread a man talk about a deep fryer lol. Nobody can read because they’re too busy getting fat! Lol

fireman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

Yeah I do, and I believe people read more then you give them credit for.

I do know there is a lot more forms of media now .

To each his own.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Because it requires actual thinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Why are readers so condescending and all high and mighty? I don't talk like this about people who won't explore cinema. Old cinema, I mean. Foreign cinema. Just stop. Reading doesn't do for me what it does for you.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: gaming probably requires more thinking, so that cant be it

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Umm, we’re reading now.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@thehig1 said:

@Gaming-Planet: gaming probably requires more thinking, so that cant be it

Some games do and some games don't from my experience. I think for first learners it has a bit of a learning curve, which requires more thinking.

As an avid gamer myself, a lot of games feel like on rails gameplay or like I'm on auto pilot half the time.

Sometimes I take breaks on games that require your full attention and play games that don't really require my full attention or thinking capability.

I'm not psychologist so I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps reading just requires a different type of thinking that we don't enjoy using all the time.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: I dont like reading because my imagination isn't great, when I read how the world and characters are described I imagine it in the most boring mundane and uninspiring way.

Its why I prefer movie adaptations over the book in most cases.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I just don't have an interest in reading for fun. I absorb plenty of stories through video games and television. But I do technically read every day what with being on the internet or even reading something within a video game. And then there's for academic purposes... I've gotten better at keeping up with reading material for courses. I see it as work, though. Not something I'm doing for the joy of it.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

It's hard for people to sit still when they are used to more intense stimulation. There is also a part of the population that simply cannot read.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Love reading. Prefer physical paperbacks, but I am really enjoying my Kindle e-reader for the convenience of it.

@sexay_vixen said:

I read in another thread that a man like fudge cake and in another thread a man talk about a deep fryer lol. Nobody can read because they’re too busy getting fat! Lol

You are a nasty, mean person.

Is that your actual answer? No one reads because they're getting fat? Wow

@DEVILinIRON said:

It's hard for people to sit still when they are used to more intense stimulation.

I can relate to that.

I usually only read before bed, or when I am travelling/away from home.

spoorti1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spoorti1509
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

I am reading now :) And infact i love reading ad i have a habit of reading books too

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I enjoy reading books about my hobbies and on forums about my hobbies. If you simply mean reading fiction books, I just don't care for it. If I'm going to enjoy a piece of fiction, I'd watch watch a movie or play a story driven RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I read lore, any video game lore that is in-ter-resting.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I think one of the reasons why people hate reading is that they where forced to read boring shit in school and it left a stigma with them that reading is boring.

fireman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

Seems like parents today are ok with their kids doing less work , reading less.. Kids are staying at home longer and I hear parents say they want their kids to have it easier then they had it. I didn't think it was that tough to begin with.