Why do people have such trust in fiat currency?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

When it is highly manipulated and has consistently lost value for the past century?

Back in May last year on another forum, I was mocked for suggesting that people save in silver rather than dollars. The Fed is printing like there is no tomorrow, still in the process of quantitative easing 2. This means high inflation, it is common sense. So I suggested people hold the poor mans gold, a precious and industrial metal that is going up in demand. Ever since they have been mocking me regarding it, bringing up "is this about silver" every time I made a thread; regardless of the subject.

That was back in May...

We know that now is a time of high inflation, we know that all prices are sky rocketing because of the Feds printing, yet people don't want to know about it. The idea of saving in something real, as opposed to a bit of scrap paper the government dictates is money, is strangely ludicrous to the majority. Yet the fundamentals say paper is the worst thing to be holding right now. Do they recognise that? Do they hell.

Governments around the world are destroying their currencies. They are trying to inflate the debts away, stimulate the economy by stealing money away from savers via inflation and giving it to banks, plus of course trying to competitively devalue their currencies; essentially creating a currency war. Inflation is a hidden tax, it dilutes your savings and hands the increased money supply to the government.

So why? Why do people have such faith in something the government can use to steal from you, can easily manipulate, while laughing at the idea of saving in "inflation adjusted commodities"? The fundamentals should make the ideas obvious, but most people don't want to know; and continue to trust in something that has consistently lost value for the past century.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
the FED should be abolished imo
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

They pay me in cash not silver.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
To be selfish, the relative decline of the US dollar, and the achievement of parity against the Australian dollar, has helped fund by upcoming trip to the USA immensely.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

The common man cannot afford other currencies. Leaving only the rich to get the gold, stocks, higher value currencies and land.

Peasant money for peasant people.

Thats the way I see it.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AnnoyedDragon

The common man cannot afford other currencies. Leaving only the rich to get the gold, stocks, higher value currencies and land.

Thats the way I see it.

samuraiguns

Silver is poor mans gold, it is something the common man can afford. In living memory, people used to buy and sell using silver coins.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
people are indoctrinated from birth to see the government as a benevolent deity who only does good in their name, that is how people can trust a fiat currency. it is also why they trust the government to provide services(planned economy) more than other men who must saciate the need in order to live(free market).
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

Thats the way I see it.

inflation is the reason it cannot be afforded, so it is the devaluing of the monies that makes the people trust the monies? for some reason, however counter intuitive that is, it may not be too far off
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Back in May last year on another forum, I was mocked for suggesting that people save in silver rather than dollars. AnnoyedDragon
That was here as well. You tried to convince me that it made more sense to buy gold for my retirement
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AnnoyedDragon

That was here as well. You tried to convince me that it made more sense to buy gold for my retirementrawsavon

2001 to 2009, the dollar devalued 25%, losing a quarter of its buying power.

How much do you think your savings will have lost by the time you retire? Especially now, when the Fed is QEing like there is no tomorrow.

inflation is the reason it cannot be afforded, so it is the devaluing of the monies that makes the people trust the monies? for some reason, however counter intuitive that is, it may not be too far offsurrealnumber5

People think it is too expensive because they are pricing precious metals in fiat currency. They haven't gone up in value, it is the buying power of the currency that has gone down in value.

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
Gold standard and barter economies are simply too awful to work. Thus we went to the fiat currency system and people trust it because other people trust it. I trust it because I can go to the store /right now/ and buy something with it. That's why I trust it.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]That was here as well. You tried to convince me that it made more sense to buy gold for my retirementAnnoyedDragon

How much do you think your savings will have lost by the time you retire? Especially now, when the Fed is QEing like there is no tomorrow.

inflation is the reason it cannot be afforded, so it is the devaluing of the monies that makes the people trust the monies? for some reason, however counter intuitive that is, it may not be too far offsurrealnumber5

People think it is too expensive because they are pricing precious metals in fiat currency. They haven't gone up in value, it is the buying power of the currency that has gone down in value.

and devalue means?
EndSociety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EndSociety
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
it's fairly obvious. to get any value out of the silver you'd have to trade with specialized people(which would be few and far in between, especially in lower populated areas). where as I can take paper money and trade with almost anyone.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 surrealnumber5
it's fairly obvious. to get any value out of the silver you'd have to trade with specialized people(which would be few and far in between, especially in lower populated areas). where as I can take paper money and trade with almost anyone. EndSociety
youre use of "value" is misused, just a heads up.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]That was here as well. You tried to convince me that it made more sense to buy gold for my retirementAnnoyedDragon

We had this conversation already. My company matches 100% towards retirement up to the IRS limit (about 16k) So that means I get to put away 16k pretax dollars and have that matched...making an extra 16k a year (or a 100% ROI) -add to that the typical growth/return of about 7% on my dollars + an 7% growth on company matched dollars That more than offsets any numbers you will throw out ITT
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

That was here as well. You tried to convince me that it made more sense to buy gold for my retirementrawsavon

We had this conversation already. My company matches 100% towards retirement up to the IRS limit (about 16k) So that means I get to put away 16k pretax dollars and have that matched...making an extra 16k a year (or a 100% ROI) -add to that the typical growth/return of about 7% on my dollars + an 7% growth on company matched dollars That more than offsets any numbers you will throw out ITT

cotton has had 135% increase over the last 6 months, had you known you would have made a better return
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

surrealnumber5

cotton has had 135% increase over the last 6 months, had you known you would have made a better return

True.

BUT I am not a micromanager. I am looking at this as a 30 year investment.
I don't want to play the 'move funds around' game.

I know there will be bad years (last couple) and great years (Clinton era)
With the Cotton example, I would have had to stop my retirement funding, start funding a trade account with money that is now taxed, buy the cotton low and sell high, and then get taxed on that gain

...too much work for me

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] We had this conversation already. My company matches 100% towards retirement up to the IRS limit (about 16k) So that means I get to put away 16k pretax dollars and have that matched...making an extra 16k a year (or a 100% ROI) -add to that the typical growth/return of about 7% on my dollars + an 7% growth on company matched dollars That more than offsets any numbers you will throw out ITTrawsavon

True.

BUT I am not a micromanager. I am looking at this as a 30 year investment.
I don't want to play the 'move funds around' game.

I know there will be bad years (last couple) and great years (Clinton era)
With the Cotton example, I would have had to stop my retirement funding, start funding a trade account with money that is now taxed, buy the cotton low and sell high, and then get taxed on that gain

...too much work for me

just living up to the title my mom gave me "the contrarian"

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rawsavon

just living up to the title my mom gave me "the contrarian"

surrealnumber5

Same for me ('meh')

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

Question

When can I start to buy goods and services with my mossy rock money I've been trying to use for the past 10 years?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="xXDrPainXx"]

Question

When can I start to buy goods and services with my mossy rock money I've been trying to use for the past 10 years?

give me two oz of gold and i will do your taxes.
majrankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 majrankin
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

The Famous economist John Maynard Keynes once said the only reason why countries still had or tried the gold standard was because of tradition. It does a great job at providing protection against inflation and not much else. The only people who vocally call for it now are Ron Paul supporters who should really realize that Paul is just trying to make millions off the government since he owns a load of money worth of stock in gold mines.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts
i invest in unobtanium
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 surrealnumber5

The Famous economist John Maynard Keynes once said the only reason why countries still had or tried the gold standard was because of tradition. It does a great job at providing protection against inflation and not much else. The only people who vocally call for it now are Ron Paul supporters who should really realize that Paul is just trying to make millions off the government since he owns a load of money worth of stock in gold mines.

majrankin

the famous economist Friedrich von Hayek, Milton Friedman, Murray N. Rothbard, Ludwig von Mises, Henry Hazlitt, i can go on if you would like, but they all disagree with keynes and a few of them even wrote books that debunked keynes' book chapter by chapter and in one case paragraph by paragraph. a stable currency in gold does not bring huge profits to gold miners, a rapidly inflating currency, like what we have now, will see his investment go up by magnitudes innumeraire as the price skyrockets for the goods he is invested in.

you did not think out your post did you?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

people are indoctrinated from birth to see the government as a benevolent deity who only does good in their name, that is how people can trust a fiat currency. it is also why they trust the government to provide services(planned economy) more than other men who must saciate the need in order to live(free market).surrealnumber5

.....Funny I hear the exact opposite.. The biggest conspiracy people are the ones that are anti government.... This post is just so wrong on so many levels.. I can't count the amount of complaining and the like about government.. Its the most complained about entity out there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="majrankin"]

surrealnumber5

the famous economist Friedrich von Hayek, Milton Friedman, Murray N. Rothbard, Ludwig von Mises, Henry Hazlitt, i can go on if you would like, but they all disagree with keynes and a few of them even wrote books that debunked keynes' book chapter by chapter and in one case paragraph by paragraph. a stable currency in gold does not bring huge profits to gold miners, a rapidly inflating currency, like what we have now, will see his investment go up by magnitudes innumeraire as the price skyrockets for the goods he is invested in.

Lets not get a head of our selves.. Its a split idea.. You will see all sorts of economists take sides on one another.. Keynes is supported by man, but it is also shunned by many.. Your being disgenious by trying to make it out like the economics community shuns it as being incorrect, that just isn't the case.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]people are indoctrinated from birth to see the government as a benevolent deity who only does good in their name, that is how people can trust a fiat currency. it is also why they trust the government to provide services(planned economy) more than other men who must saciate the need in order to live(free market).sSubZerOo

.....Funny I hear the exact opposite.. The biggest conspiracy people are the ones that are anti government.... This post is just so wrong on so many levels.. I can't count the amount of complaining and the like about government.. Its the most complained about entity out there.

yea complaining about how they should do more though they have caused the economic issues we have today. do harm and the people want more, it takes a great level of indoctrination to do that, sounds like an abused spouse to me.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="majrankin"]

Lets not get a head of our selves.. Its a split idea.. You will see all sorts of economists take sides on one another.. Keynes is supported by man, but it is also shunned by many.. Your being disgenious by trying to make it out like the economics community shuns it as being incorrect, that just isn't the case.

economists that dont think of the markets as the land of wind and ghosts (animal spirits) do not agree with him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]people are indoctrinated from birth to see the government as a benevolent deity who only does good in their name, that is how people can trust a fiat currency. it is also why they trust the government to provide services(planned economy) more than other men who must saciate the need in order to live(free market).surrealnumber5

yea complaining about how they should do more though they have caused the economic issues we have today. do harm and the people want more, it takes a great level of indoctrination to do that, sounds like an abused spouse to me.

:| I take it some one forgot what interest groups are? To me it sounds like you don't hava firm grasp how politics work.. We have an entire party preaching against big government, I would say thats a pretty huge amount of peopel who havn't been "indoctrinated" but its ok, you can keep your conspiracy theory like ideas of this..

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

:| I take it some one forgot what interest groups are? To me it sounds like you don't hava firm grasp how politics work.. We have an entire party preaching against big government, I would say thats a pretty huge amount of peopel who havn't been "indoctrinated" but its ok, you can keep your conspiracy theory like ideas of this..

what party feels that way without wanting to instill their own brand of societal rules?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] yea complaining about how they should do more though they have caused the economic issues we have today. do harm and the people want more, it takes a great level of indoctrination to do that, sounds like an abused spouse to me.surrealnumber5

what party feels that way without wanting to instill their own brand of societal rules?

:| Societal rules? You mean like POLICIES they support? You only make it sound negative because you happen to not agree with them.. Then again I really shouldn't bother to debate with some one who is a extreme libertarian.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

:| Societal rules? You mean like POLICIES they support? You only make it sound negative because you happen to not agree with them.. Then again I really shouldn't bother to debate with some one who is a extreme libertarian.

i will take that title over extreme statist any day
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

well it's not backed up by metals but it is backed up by you. yes that's right you are the collateral held as the value to international banks.

look at your birth certificate and then look at a manufacturers certificate of origin.

creepy stuff and the best part is nobody knows about this. the best slave is one that does not know he is a slave.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

Fiat currency makes the world go around. If it were to collapse, I doubt your gold would matter very much either, because there would be riots everywhere.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 surrealnumber5

Fiat currency makes the world go around. If it were to collapse, I doubt your gold would matter very much either, because there would be riots everywhere.

EntropyWins
pust some study time into black markets post failed currencies, you will find that barter takes hold or people start to use non-failed currencies, in either case the market finds a way.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AnnoyedDragon

it's fairly obvious. to get any value out of the silver you'd have to trade with specialized people(which would be few and far in between, especially in lower populated areas). where as I can take paper money and trade with almost anyone. EndSociety

You're thinking in terms of day to day transactions, not savings. Savings in fiat currency get eroded over time due to inflation and other factors, were as savings in precious metals largely operate as a fixed point. Revaluing themselves against paper currency.

majrankin

Precious metals weren't used as money for over 6000 years because of "tradition", it survived a free market of currencies and came out the victor as the strongest storage of value. I also have little respect for anything John Maynard said, his whole economic model is based on everyone being consumer whores that have no savings whatsoever.

EntropyWins

And fiat currency would do better? Of course when things calm down and people start rebuilding, gold could be exchanged to the new currency; where as paper would be worthless.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AnnoyedDragon

well it's not backed up by metals but it is backed up by you. yes that's right you are the collateral held as the value to international banks.

look at your birth certificate and then look at a manufacturers certificate of origin.

creepy stuff and the best part is nobody knows about this. the best slave is one that does not know he is a slave.

Riverwolf007

I've never heard or seen any evidence to suggest that money is backed by people. I have however seen plenty of evidence that money is backed by debt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The values of precious metals have also fluctuated greatly.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AnnoyedDragon

The values of precious metals have also fluctuated greatly.

sonicare

Because of, surprise surprise, paper.

When the Comex fractional reserves paper ETFs and they are counted among actual precious metal supply, you can manipulate the prices using paper.

Just one more reason why the Comex is under investigation.