Why do people hate subtitles?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

I don't get it. I always put captions on even for movies in english. Otehrwise, you can't understand what they are saying and you miss a major plot element. And I hate movies that take place in the soviet union for instance, the battle of stalingrad, and the russians are speaking english! wtf! Anyway, subtitles should be at most a minor inconvenience, but some people refuse to watch movies that have them, calling the "unwatchable". Can someone point out something that i'm missing here?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They distract from the movie to an extent, as a movie is a blend of audio and visuals. Many movies are not artistic in the way they're shot, of course, so they suffer less. But you still have ugly text slapped on your screen.
NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

I hate subtitles because I always end up paying more attention to readin them and then I miss whats going on on-screen. I HATE watching movies with subtitbles in theaters because it feels like paying money to read a book.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Because if I'm reading the subtitles, I'm not watching what's going on.
Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

How is it deistracting? It happens naturally for me and i can read and see whats going on..peripheral vision or something like that.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I always laugh when they subtitle English-speaking people with "thick" accents. I always understand them without the accent, but I guess I owe that to growing up in a family of immigrants.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

I always use subtitles.

For everything.

People are just dense sometimes.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
People don't like reading. The people who don't mind them are people who are quick readers
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Because I understand every single word they say, and the text popping out all the time is annoying.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Whenever I watch a foreign language film (which is often, since I'm quite a movie buff), I always use subtitles. If nothing else, it at least lets you appreciate the whole of the actors' performances. If you turn on the English language dub instead, you're only watching the actors walk around and make gestures. You don't get to listen to them deliver their lines.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i want a cinematic feel... i dont want text taking up any space...
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

I don't mind them at all. Moreso, I like them. If I didn't hear something quite right I can read it.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

If I watch a movie a second time I'm good with it. Sometimes there bad mixing in TV shows or movies where subtitles are needed also.Music can be as loud as the people talking.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

I always use subtitles.

For everything.

no_more_fayth

if you speak the language it is unnecessary.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

I always use subtitles.

For everything.

weezyfb

if you speak the language it is necessary.

I don't get how subtitles are "annoying" or "distracting."

:?

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bloodling

no_more_fayth

I don't like seeing what someone is going to say before he's going to say it. If you read them, there's no problem, but when you try not to read them and they constantly pop out, it can be an annoyance. It's like when teachers put animated gifs in their presentation: it's hard to concentrate when something is constantly moving.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

bloodling

I don't like seeing what someone is going to say before he's going to say it. If you read them, there's no problem, but when you try not to read them and they constantly pop out, it can be an annoyance. It's like when teachers put animated gifs in their presentation: it's hard to concentrate when something is constantly moving.

Maybe you have ADD. :|

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

I always use subtitles.

For everything.

no_more_fayth

if you speak the language it is necessary.

I don't understand how not using a tool often intended for deaf people makes you dense.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

no_more_fayth

Maybe you have ADD. :|

I'm trying really hard to ignore them but these things won't stop popping :cry:

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"] if you speak the language it is necessary.SolidSnake35

I don't understand how not using a tool often intended for deaf people makes you dense.

Because just watching doesn't give you the full experience, especially in movie theaters.

You can miss important dialogue.

I wish theaters had subtitles, that's why I'm reluctant to even go to them.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
I am guessing for most people it's like... "Forget the book, I will watch the movie." and then the movie shows up in another language... then that sentence gets thrown out the window. :P As for me, if it is in English, I will take it. Mainly because I treat all movies/shows like an audio book because of multitasking. Now, I rented Nana 2 from Netflix a few weeks ago... still sitting here. However, I have been through quite a few other DVDs. I usually just stop doing what I am doing to watch subtitle stuff.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 no_more_fayth

I am guessing for most people it's like... "Forget the book, I will watch the movie." and then the movie shows up in another language... then that sentence gets thrown out the window. :P As for me, if it is in English, I will take it. Mainly because I treat all movies/shows like an audio book because of multitasking. Now, I rented Nana 2 from Netflix a few weeks ago... still sitting here. However, I have been through quite a few other DVDs. I usually just stop doing what I am doing to watch subtitle stuff.MistressMinako
People need to start liking reading. :P

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidSnake35
Because just watching doesn't give you the full experience, especially in movie theaters. You can miss important dialogue. I wish theaters had subtitles, that's why I'm reluctant to even go to them.no_more_fayth
It could be argued that spending time reading text also takes away from the experience. Pros and cons either way.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]Because just watching doesn't give you the full experience, especially in movie theaters. You can miss important dialogue. I wish theaters had subtitles, that's why I'm reluctant to even go to them.SolidSnake35
It could be argued that spending time reading text also takes away from the experience. Pros and cons either way.

If people would read more, then they wouldn't have a problem reading quickly to not deter their visual experience.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I don't hate them, pretty much gotten used to it. A lot of my favorite films are foreign. I'm not going to be able to dedicate enough time to learn so many languages, might as well read the subtitles.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Short attention span. I don't necessarily like them, but they don't bother me. Sometimes it helps to understand what's being said, but I'm also one of those people that doesn't mind watching a foreign film.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I don't understand it, because so, you're missing out on some of the best films.
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts
[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

Because just watching doesn't give you the full experience, especially in movie theaters.

You can miss important dialogue.

I wish theaters had subtitles, that's why I'm reluctant to even go to them.

This only happens to people who have bad hearing and are easily distracted.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 no_more_fayth

I don't understand it, because so, you're missing out on some of the best films.Jazz_Fan
I knew Jazz would be on my side. :P

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

people are stupid these days,

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 no_more_fayth

Vader993

That's similar to what I said.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MistressMinako

[QUOTE="MistressMinako"]I am guessing for most people it's like... "Forget the book, I will watch the movie." and then the movie shows up in another language... then that sentence gets thrown out the window. :P As for me, if it is in English, I will take it. Mainly because I treat all movies/shows like an audio book because of multitasking. Now, I rented Nana 2 from Netflix a few weeks ago... still sitting here. However, I have been through quite a few other DVDs. I usually just stop doing what I am doing to watch subtitle stuff.no_more_fayth

People need to start liking reading. :P

Actually, I don't understand the whole... "I don't like reading." thing. Tons of people who say that are on the internet all the time. And last time I checked... most of the internet is mostly reading, reading, reading.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

[QUOTE="Vader993"]

no_more_fayth

That's similar to what I said.

mines better :P

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I think it's all a question of getting used to it.

I used to dislike subtitles because, like many others, I could only concentrate on one thing at a time, be it the action or the subtitles. But then I discovered Asian Horror and it all changed. The more I watched foreign movies, the more my sight's transition between the subtitles and the movie became seemless.

Learning to appreciate subtitles opens such a vast new cinematographical world.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 v13_KiiLtz

Actually, I don't understand the whole... "I don't like reading." thing. Tons of people who say that are on the internet all the time. And last time I checked... most of the internet is mostly reading, reading, reading. MistressMinako
"N yet u git ppl hu tlk lyk dis":? I don't get it either

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]Because just watching doesn't give you the full experience, especially in movie theaters. You can miss important dialogue. I wish theaters had subtitles, that's why I'm reluctant to even go to them.no_more_fayth

If people would read more, then they wouldn't have a problem reading quickly to not deter their visual experience.

I really hope you aren't being serious. I am a very fast reader, and I can usually read the entire line in less than a second. But I just don't like them. I find that when there are subtitles, I spent the time reading and not listening. Sure, I sometimes miss things that I don't hear, but nothing important that can't be figured out later in a movie. The important plot elements are never in parts that are hard to hear, unless you're watching a bad movie. Personally, I prefer straining to listen more than reading. It gets you more involved in the movie. I also hate how subtitles how give away what they are going to say. Knowing what the actor is going to say makes the movie a lot less dramatic in some parts.

I just don't see the point of reading English subtitles when I can hear and understand English. If I'm watching a foreigh film I will turn them on, but never for an English film.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
I use subtitles for everything, and I enjoy the movie way more.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 no_more_fayth

I use subtitles for everything, and I enjoy the movie way more. th3warr1or
*high fives*

You're awesome. :)

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MistressMinako

[QUOTE="MistressMinako"] Actually, I don't understand the whole... "I don't like reading." thing. Tons of people who say that are on the internet all the time. And last time I checked... most of the internet is mostly reading, reading, reading. v13_KiiLtz

Ugh. My friend used to do that all the time while texting me. She still keeps asking me why don't I text her much anymore. :P
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts

Some people just aren't interested in the cinema enough to read what people say in a different language, which is quite sad because there's tons of great stuff that isn't in English. Honestly though, I've seen so many films with subtitles that I'm able to read everything extremely quickly that missing out on the visual qualities of the film rarely even happens. It's second nature.

One just has to give it time.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I dont have good ear for accents and I would love to have subtitles for in those cases. For instance, I missed many important lines in 3:10 to Yuma because of the southern accent, and same goes for Blood Diamond. I don't like missing out dialogues in a movie, I consider words just as important as the visual and audio aspects. And I'm Asian, so I am just used to subtitles. And I hate dubbing.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

It depends on afew things for me, if it has awesome visuals, subtitles can be distracting, if the subtitles are too big, they are annoying. Games like Final Fantasy X do subtitles good, and the style of the game and repetive visuals make subtitles not too distractling.

I never use them for movies though. Unless the language is foreign.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 v13_KiiLtz
[QUOTE="MistressMinako"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"]

Actually, I don't understand the whole... "I don't like reading." thing. Tons of people who say that are on the internet all the time. And last time I checked... most of the internet is mostly reading, reading, reading. MistressMinako

Ugh. My friend used to do that all the time while texting me. She still keeps asking me why don't I text her much anymore. :P

I hate it, I'm the only person I know who writes/type with perfect spelling and grammar, aside from the odd typo here and there or if I'm being silly :P But it's ridiculous, I know people at uni, and have gotten above average grades but insist on "tlkinq lyk dey a qanqsta" v_v
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="MistressMinako"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"] "N yet u git ppl hu tlk lyk dis":? I don't get it eitherv13_KiiLtz

I hate it, I'm the only person I know who writes/type with perfect spelling and grammar, aside from the odd typo here and there or if I'm being silly :P But it's ridiculous, I know people at uni, and have gotten above average grades but insist on "tlkinq lyk dey a qanqsta" v_v

that's considered talking like a gangster? Isn't that offensive to actual gangsters?
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="MistressMinako"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"] "N yet u git ppl hu tlk lyk dis":? I don't get it either

v13_KiiLtz

Why do they use q's for g's?! :o

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bloodling

It depends on afew things for me, if it has awesome visuals, subtitles can be distracting, if the subtitles are too big, they are annoying. Games like Final Fantasy X do subtitles good, and the style of the game and repetive visuals make subtitles not too distractling.

I never use them for movies though. Unless the language is foreign.

lazyathew

Subtitles are so annoying in video games with voice acting. I don't like it when you have no control over the volume of the dialogue in games like FFXIII and are forced to use subtitles or else you can't hear what they're saying.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 v13_KiiLtz

that's considered talking like a gangster? Isn't that offensive to actual gangsters?funsohng

I wouldn't know, are you offended? :P

Why do they use q's for g's?! :ono_more_fayth

I don't know v_v, its a horror sometimes to check my facebook :?

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MistressMinako

[QUOTE="MistressMinako"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"] "N yet u git ppl hu tlk lyk dis":? I don't get it either

v13_KiiLtz

Haha. It needs to stop. I always practiced writing in complete (sometimes fragments, but understandable) sentences. I always had a feeling that it might rub off on something you have to have perfect grammar/spelling on. :P