Why do people hate Nickelback?

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

I don't really listen to them, but I've heard their more popular songs on the radio throughout the years. They sound ok to me. So I ask you... why do they get so much hate?

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Cause haters gonna hate.

Honestly, I don't know why. They may not be very deep, but Nickleback is a decent band.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
They're bad (and by bad, I mean Canadian)
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Well they are better than Creed. They aren't terrible but I would not go out of my way to listen to them either
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I don't really hate them, I just find them really generic and it seems like they make the same songs over and over again.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't hate Nickelback . In fact, I'm turning more and more to Canadian rock bands. The current music scene here in the US isn't to my taste.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
The name says it all. Nickel - Back. "I want my nickel back". It's a refund demand for the jukebox.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They hardly make any great songs as I despise most of them. Really can't see what's so good about them, most overrated band ever!

KeizerHalil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KeizerHalil
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts
I dont hate them? I lopve their music!
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
I hate Nickelback because I think their songs are terrible. Simple as that. There's a lot of crap on the radio and Nickelback pretty much epitomizes the awfulness of generic radio-friendly rock music. But, I hate a lot of bands for the same reason that people love. So even I'm surprised that Nickelback gets so much hate. I don't know what it is, but people really don't seem to like this band anymore. I can't really put my finger on it, it's probably just become popular to hate them like it's become popular to hate Linkin Park.
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
They're bad (and by bad, I mean Canadian)wstfld
Hahahaha!
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

4-chords, predictable songwriting and structure, and some of the most uncreative...everything, ever.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I think the better question is why people like them.

For some reason, their music seems so generic (like someone said above) and hokey. To me, it's a chick band in disguise.

But it's all opinion.

Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
Because their bland, lazy and just boring to listen to!
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BMD004

For some reason, their music seems so generic (like someone said above) and hokey. To me, it's a chick band in disguise.

But it's all opinion.

flazzle
How are they generic? They have a distinct sound.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 redstorm72

To all the people saying how terrible they are, I would love to hear your favorite bands so I can say "They're terrible/unoriginal/lazy/etc". Music has got to be the most subjective topic ever so it's not really fair to say a band is terrible just because you don't like it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mitu123
I hate Nickelback because I think their songs are terrible. Simple as that. frostybanana
I agree with this.
Because their bland, lazy and just boring to listen to!ace-of-spades93
And this too.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

4-chords, predictable songwriting and structure, and some of the most uncreative...everything, ever.

Saturos3091
This. Bands like Creed, Nickelback, etc are derived from more talented grunge bands such as Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. If I want to listen to that type of rock, I'd pick the more complex and deeper bands that preceeded them.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="flazzle"]

But it's all opinion.

BMD004
How are they generic? They have a distinct sound.

If distinct = soulless fusing of a million angsty rock bands that came before, then absolutely.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

I don't know. I've heard the complaint that all of their songs sound the same, and it is true. However, I wouldn't say the sound they have is terrible. It's not really my thing, but I can't say I hate them or even understand why anybody would flat out hate them.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

To all the people saying how terrible they are, I would love to hear your favorite bands so I can say "They're terrible/unoriginal/lazy/etc". Music has got to be the most subjective topic ever so it's not really fair to say a band is terrible just because you don't like it.

redstorm72

Agreed. And those of us who don't like Nickelback are expressing our opinions. I don't see why you're so angry about it. :?

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I found this.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Engrish_Major

redstorm72
Talent and complexity, though, is not as subjective. Someone that says that a band is terrible whose songs are all 4/4, only 3 or 4 chords, follows the same structure (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-key change chorus), etc. has much more of a case than someone who states that Led Zeppelin, Tori Amos, etc is terrible.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mitu123

redstorm72
Avenged Sevenfold owns this band IMO.=p It's all opinionated too! There are good bands I don't like as well, I don't think it's possible to like every good band and hate every bad one, it seems there's going to be someone who likes/hate them.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
arguing musical tastes is even more pointless than arguing religion.......all music is specific to the tastes of the individual in question.....
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I am from their city and I don't like them. They are everything that is mediocre about todays music. They were the start of the most boring generation of music.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 frostybanana

To all the people saying how terrible they are, I would love to hear your favorite bands so I can say "They're terrible/unoriginal/lazy/etc". Music has got to be the most subjective topic ever.

redstorm72
The sound may be subjective but talent is not. It is definitive. And their music definitively lacks complexity and musicianship. They are very generic and very unoriginal. And that's not just a random insult people throw at bands. It's because they recycle riffs and use the same sound as other bands, but to the most superficial extent. If you're going to throw those kinds of words around at bands you dislike, then you don't really understand music.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Engrish_Major

Talent and complexity, though, is not as subjective. Someone that says that a band is terrible whose songs are all 4/4, only 3 or 4 chords, follows the same structure (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-key change chorus), etc. has much more of a case than someone who states that Led Zeppelin, Tori Amos, etc is terrible.

4/4 time is awesome!

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BMD004
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Engrish_Major

Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Don't really listen to them but they got overkilled with that Rockstar song awhile back.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Saturos3091

redstorm72
Except unoriginal isn't exactly an opinion. It's a blatant fact that Nickelback pioneered nothing. You can objectively say that their songs are not technically complex, are filled with hooks, and are simply uncreative. If you like that sort of stuff, then by all means like it, but I for one think it's terrible, and that's my subjective opinion on the objective elements in their music.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Engrish_Major
Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated. BMD004
I care. If I can listen to it once, then be able to play it in its entirety on a given instrument, then why would I ever want to take the time to listen to the song again? Simple music is boring.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="BMD004"] Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated.

You don't understand why people like complexity. They like it because it sounds good, not for the sake of complexity. I can't listen to a band that plays the same 4-chords in different arrangements because it's damn boring to me. I like bands that have some sense of theory because it keeps me interested in their music. I listen to Nickelback and I've heard their whole catalog in the first minute of any of their songs.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 frostybanana
[QUOTE="BMD004"]Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated. Engrish_Major
I care. If I can listen to it once, then be able to play it in its entirety on a given instrument, then why would I ever want to take the time to listen to the song again? Simple music is boring.

Pretty much. Simple music IS boring. Music needs variation.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
I love loving both simple and complex music. Go me.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
I love loving both simple and complex music. Go me.aaronmullan
you're not allowed....simple music cannot be good.... Sincerely, Pachelbel's Cannon
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aaronmullan
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]I love loving both simple and complex music. Go me.Omni-Slash
you're not allowed....simple music cannot be good.... Sincerely, Pachelbel's Cannon

But, it's so fun :cry:
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BMD004
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="BMD004"]Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated. frostybanana

But lets be honest here... most people who hate Nickelback don't hate them because they want them to show an understanding of music theory. Most people that hate them probably don't even know what music theory is. So while that may be your personal reason, it is not the mainstream reason.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frostybanana
[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] I care. If I can listen to it once, then be able to play it in its entirety on a given instrument, then why would I ever want to take the time to listen to the song again? Simple music is boring.

But lets be honest here... most people who hate Nickelback don't hate them because they want them to show an understanding of music theory. Most people that hate them probably don't even know what music theory is. So while that may be your personal reason, it is not the mainstream reason.

I already stated that earlier. Read my post. I do not know why everyone else hates Nickleback, I only know why I hate them.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 redstorm72

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="BMD004"]Who cares how complex a song is? I never listen to a song and think "wow, that is super complex, I love this song now because of it". I think, "wow, this sounds good, i love this song". I can listen to an old song like "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, which is not very complex, and still enjoy it. Complexity in music = overrated. frostybanana

Tell that to CCR

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 aaronmullan

Pretty much. Simple music IS boring. Music needs variation.frostybanana

Disagreed. Simple music like Joanna Newsom. It's her and a harp in that song and it's not anything like Nickelback. Then you get complex music. Both are really interesting and creative once you look past the mainstream stuff.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] Pretty much. Simple music IS boring. Music needs variation.aaronmullan

Disagreed. Simple music like Joanna Newsom. It's her and a harp in that song and it's not anything like Nickelback. Then you get complex music. Both are really interesting and creative once you look past the mainstream stuff.

That's your opinion. The only person your example applies to is you, making it meaningless to me.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 redstorm72

[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] Pretty much. Simple music IS boring. Music needs variation.frostybanana

That's your opinion. The only person your example applies to is you, making it meaningless to me.

Then isn't your opinion just as meaningless?

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aaronmullan
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] Pretty much. Simple music IS boring. Music needs variation.frostybanana

Did I say it wasn't? I was only trying to say that you'll maybe like simple music if you look past Nickelback. Nawmsayin?
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="aaronmullan"]

redstorm72

Nope. My opinion > your opinion.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 aaronmullan
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] That's your opinion. The only person your example applies to is you, making it meaningless to me.frostybanana

Honestly, this is true for everyone :P Why would anyone like someone elses opinion over their own?
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="aaronmullan"]

aaronmullan

Did I say it wasn't? I was only trying to say that you'll maybe like simple music if you look past Nickelback. Nawmsayin?

Nope. Your perception on simple music is different from mine. What I see as simple is different from what you see as simple. And I didn't say like I didn't like Nickelback because they were simple. I said they were untalented, two very different things.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] That's your opinion. The only person your example applies to is you, making it meaningless to me.frostybanana

Well that's good to know, now I'll never have to think again because your opinion is so much better than mine. :roll:

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

because popularity ticks people off

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

redstorm72

Well that's good to know, now I'll never have to think again because your opinion is so much better than mine. :roll:

Glad we got that out of the way.