Why do people care about the personal lives of celebrities?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee7c440a05b6
deactivated-5ee7c440a05b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ee7c440a05b6
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

Seriously, this is something that just baffles me about people. Why bother about what Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson do personally? As opposed to most people I still like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson because I enjoy a lot of the movies they are in. This even applies to people who aren't famous (but pretend to be) like Kate Gosselin. I seriously can't stand that woman. Or like when Christian Bale yelled at that dude on the set of Terminator: Salvation, then actually apologized for it. I don't believe he should have apologized for anything. No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do. They did nothing to us personally to give them reasons to. Celebrities entertain us, that is it.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Where have you been all my life?! :D I completely agree!! I don't care what religion, cult, etc they believe in. They entertain us exactly. People who don't see Tom Cruise, Roman Polanski films because of their past mistakes are denying themselves great cinema.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

gossip, role models, and money.

Gossip - The media likes to spread gossip so that us normal citizens can look at each other and feel better about ourselves because we're not doing crazy ish like the celebs. Or say you see a trampy/slutty girl you'd compare her to someone like Paris Hilton because that's the biggest celeb that does such acts. Basically "popular icons" set standards for society...

Role Models - The good celebs go out of their way to do good deeds(most likely after rehab or getting caught doing something bad) and use that as a chance to redeem themselves to the fans so they can set examples for the youth/fans.

Money - Everyone likes money in America. You see a guy like Tom Cruise making $30 mil a movie, you're going to make as money you can and dress and buy the things he gets. Assimilation and Greed is the name of the game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I seriously don't get it. Only a few of them are even interesting.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
Takes their mind off their own worries. Lets them relate to their triumphs and downfalls. Jerry Springer type thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
deactivated-6016e81e8e30f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
Member since 2009 • 12955 Posts
Or like when Christian Bale yelled at that dude on the set of Terminator: Salvation, then actually apologized for it. I don't believe he should have apologized for anything. No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do. They did nothing to us personally to give them reasons to.jensen13j
This doesn't make sense.... a celebrity could make purely racist remarks, but if it doesn't affect me personally since I may not be part of that race, he shouldn't have to apologize for it? Especially considering the fact that said celebrity could be a role model to people, and they see him say such things. Anywho, it's because their own lives are usually boring and they love the gossip.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

People like gossip and news/secrets of other people. Celebrities are just the national equivalent,

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Irony at its finest.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Why do you care whether people care about the personal lives of celebrities? It doesn't affect you in any way.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreySeal9

Irony at its finest.

SgtKevali

Now that I've actually read the OP and not just the title, irony indeed.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Why do you care whether people care about the personal lives of celebrities? It doesn't affect you in any way.clayron

Not necessarily true. We've begun to see a trend where more people begin caring more about celebrities' lives, than things that matter more, such as politics and current events. If we don't have a well-informed populace, then it can have repercussions that effect us.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do.

jensen13j

Of course. The whole point of being a celebrity is never having to say you're sorry.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Metal_Mario99

People who don't see Tom Cruise, Roman Polanski films because of their past mistakes are denying themselves great cinema. biggest_loser

But Roman Polanski didn't drug, rape, and sodomize a 13-year-old girl by mistake. He did it on purpose.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

[QUOTE="clayron"]Why do you care whether people care about the personal lives of celebrities? It doesn't affect you in any way.LikeHaterade

Not necessarily true. We've begun to see a trend where more people begin caring more about celebrities' lives, than things that matter more, such as politics and current events. If we don't have a well-informed populace, then it can have repercussions that effect us.

You just had to be intelligent, didn't you?
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

You just had to be intelligent, didn't you?clayron

I'm actually trying to be intelligent 99% of the time. :P

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] People who don't see Tom Cruise, Roman Polanski films because of their past mistakes are denying themselves great cinema. Metal_Mario99

But Roman Polanski didn't drug, rape, and sodomize a 13-year-old girl by mistake. He did it on purpose.

Yah just had to go there didn't you?!
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreySeal9

Seriously, this is something that just baffles me about people. Why bother about what Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson do personally? As opposed to most people I still like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson because I enjoy a lot of the movies they are in. This even applies to people who aren't famous (but pretend to be) like Kate Gosselin. I seriously can't stand that woman. Or like when Christian Bale yelled at that dude on the set of Terminator: Salvation, then actually apologized for it. I don't believe he should have apologized for anything. No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do. They did nothing to us personally to give them reasons to. Celebrities entertain us, that is it.

jensen13j

Attitudes like this are the reason behind the behavior of Lindsay Lohan, etc. Some people hold them to different standards, so they do also.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Metal_Mario99

[QUOTE="Metal_Mario99"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] People who don't see Tom Cruise, Roman Polanski films because of their past mistakes are denying themselves great cinema. biggest_loser

I'm sorry if the facts are inconvenient. But no matter how good his movies are, Polanski is still a child rapist.

Carminesqueez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Carminesqueez
Member since 2009 • 420 Posts

cos they are their role models

Good-Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Good-Apollo
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
Because people are stupid. They would rather know what their favourite celebrity is having for breakfast than what is happening over in Gaza.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
I snapped at my grandmother for doing that. She was bad mouthing Tiger Woods for cheating. I said it wasn't her d*** business to get involved in HIS life. I haven't heard a word since
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Metal_Mario99"]

Metal_Mario99

I'm sorry if the facts are inconvenient. But no matter how good his movies are, Polanski is still a child rapist.

I wasn't saying before that it was a mistake as in 'it just accidentally happened' I just meant that it shouldn't have happened by calling it a past mistake. Anyway, we don't have to go through this debate again.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Metal_Mario99"]

Metal_Mario99

So? It doesn't mean his movies automatically suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ee7c440a05b6

Well, considering what some of you guys have said; particularly in regard to racist remarks like what Mel Gibson have made. You are perfectly entitled to disagree or be outright offended by those types of comments. But that still doesn't warrant an apology because you have your thoughts and Mel Gibson has his. Also, of course being a celebrity does not entitle you to never apologize for ANYTHING, I mean that they shouldn't have to apologize to the public for such things. It's basically the equivalent of saying you're sorry to every stranger you see on the street every day. They don't care and you didn't do anything to them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5ee7c440a05b6

[QUOTE="jensen13j"]Or like when Christian Bale yelled at that dude on the set of Terminator: Salvation, then actually apologized for it. I don't believe he should have apologized for anything. No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do. They did nothing to us personally to give them reasons to.SeraphimGoddess
This doesn't make sense.... a celebrity could make purely racist remarks, but if it doesn't affect me personally since I may not be part of that race, he shouldn't have to apologize for it? Especially considering the fact that said celebrity could be a role model to people, and they see him say such things. Anywho, it's because their own lives are usually boring and they love the gossip.

Racism is not going anywhere, so of course a true racist would never apologize for it. Mel Gibson included; it is wrong, yes, but it's how he is. I'm not claiming that isn't HIS fault, but there's nothing anyone could do to change his mind on that subject. An apology from Gibson for saying racist things would be insincere anyway because of the things I've already mentioned.

The_Kliq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Kliq
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts
Only people with no lives care about celebrities, I mean I can personally careless because I have enough going on in my personal life to care about anyone else's but mine.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I don't know.

Mel gibsons a crazy man. Okay? My sister dated a crazy man once. Nothing new about Mel gibson.

Paris Hilton is stupid. Okay? I know plenty of stupid people.

Lindsay Lohan is a drunk drug addict. Okay? So is a good slice of America.

Really I don't get the fascination. Even worse, people seem more fascinated about celebrities that arn't really famous for anything/haven't done anything in years. Paris hilton is big news even though she doesn't do anything. Lindsay Lohan is big news yet she hasn't done a damn thing in like 10 years aside from drink and do drugs. Even the Olsen twins were big news and they haven't done anything since they stopped being marketable to little kids.

I remember when that one woman died (I can't remember her name. I think she was an ex Playboy model who got overweight and basically became famous over nothing?) the entire media covered her for months. And the question of where her baby would go.

I don't get why people cared.

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts
I dont understand it either, id much rather watch one of their movies then try finding out what they did last night, people are just stupid
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="jensen13j"]Or like when Christian Bale yelled at that dude on the set of Terminator: Salvation, then actually apologized for it. I don't believe he should have apologized for anything. No celebrity should have to apologize for anything that they do. They did nothing to us personally to give them reasons to.SeraphimGoddess

We have free speech here and if a celebrity wants to make racist marks, why should I care? We have entire groups in the US devoted to that (KKK). He shouldn't have to apologize at all. If he wants to, he can. No one should be able to force him to do so.

It also really doesn't matter if he's someones role model. Celebrities do not sign legal contracts stating they will behave nice for the kids. Role models in general are a bad idea for children, because role models are human and will make mistakes. And their public face isn't their private face.

I remember when people were in an uproar because Miley Cyrus gave some guy a lap dance. "Think of the children who look up to her!". It's not like it's some teenage girls responsibility to make sure the children of America grow up right.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I don't know. Maybe their live are boring?
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

Irony at its finest.

SgtKevali
:lol:
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

becuz they R biootifoul

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I've never understood it either. Some people - okay, women - come in to the supermarket I work at, and buy 5 or 6 gossip magazines every week. I think "Jesus, are you REALLY that bored during the day? THIS is the best you can do?". It's just sad how much money people waste on magazines like that.
killerkool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killerkool07
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts

People are interesting in the lives of famous people because its better than their normal life, your life involves boredom, people depending on you whereas people see famous people on boats and want that life so they daydream about it and not think of war. I don't think it makes you stupid hasn't anyone there looked in a shop and wanted someone you cant afford? and fantasied about having it

Personally I don't care about the private life's of famous people but daydream about having their life's isn't a bad thing or a stupid thing

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Because immersing someone in the high life life make's their own seem more interesting. Makes them feel like they have real relationships with these people and so are actually special and important.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markop2003

Really I don't get the fascination. Even worse, people seem more fascinated about celebrities that arn't really famous for anything/haven't done anything in years. Paris hilton is big news even though she doesn't do anything. Lindsay Lohan is big news yet she hasn't done a damn thing in like 10 years aside from drink and do drugs. Even the Olsen twins were big news and they haven't done anything since they stopped being marketable to little kids.

Pixel-Pirate
That's why they'er called celebrities. A celebrity is primarily famous for the act of being famous not what they actually do. Therefore people like Bill Gates or Isaac Newton are famous but not celebrities because the first things that come to mind are MS and gravity not who they slept with.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markop2003

[QUOTE="clayron"]Why do you care whether people care about the personal lives of celebrities? It doesn't affect you in any way.LikeHaterade

Annoyingly in the 'celeb culture' seems to be affecting politics too. In the last election people seemed more interested in Obama shouting change and hope than his actual policies and after he was elected some of the biggest stories were over his religion and birth place.
Ryan_Kitchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ryan_Kitchen
Member since 2010 • 370 Posts

Such a good question, I don't understand it either. I don't see why their lives are so important that they are always on the news, I don't care about what they did last night. Its overrated anyway.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

jensen13j

They don't have a life of their own.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Because peoples lives are so boring, I care about some of the celebs but most I wish they would just keep off of tv.
LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

Don't generalize people. Some do care about personal lives of celebrities, such as the die hard fanatics. About the fans, it's their habit I guess :?

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Don't generalize people. Some do care about personal lives of celebrities, such as the die hard fanatics. About the fans, it's their habit I guess :?

LIONHEART-_-

It's creepy, it's not healthy.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I was asking "does anyone actually care about what is going on in Katie Price's life?" and I convinced myself that nobody actually cared; just the magazines and newspapers presumed people do/were just pushing it down our throats. I was happy thinking that nobody truly cares about her life, it just seemed that way since she is always in magazines. ...but then I heard her book sold millions and my theory went out the window, apparently there are a lot of people out there who do care. I don't know why, but they do - it's not really worth putting much more thought into it than that.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Something called curiosity.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Because people's lives are boring.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#47 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

I could care less about them, let alone know their names in the first place.

It's like how these lame school assignments require you to like know a celebrity, and since I don't even know any well enough to BS a 2 page report, people think I live under a rock. I'm laughing at them because they're paying attention to individuals they have no relations with. :lol:

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I could care less

Desulated

So... you care about them?

Desulated