Why do Breaking Bad fans hate Skyler?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

So, it seems that a lot of fans of the show Breaking Bad harbor a hatred for the character Skyler White, the wife of the show's protagonist, Walter. They hate her so much that some of them send death threats to Anna Gunn, the actress you plays her.

Why is this? It's something about her being an "ungrateful bitch" or "shrieking harpy" or something, apparently because she opposes her husband on things, because that's apparently a bad thing when your husband is a lying, meth-dealing scumbag.

So… I don't get it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

For one, she's an emasculating shrew. For two, she's a hypocrite. She likes to portray herself as an innocent victim, but she willingly goes along with Walt by laundering his money and living off the money after knowing the source of it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

She's an annoying bitch. I can't stand the sight of her constipated face and deformed facial expressions. It has nothing to do with the plot itself, she's just a bad, untalented and try hard actress. So irritating.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It's mostly a combination of stupidity and misogyny.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

She's a hypocritical, melodramatic bitch whose overreactions and idiocy only manage to cause more problems for the family she acts like she wants to protect.

Still, she's not half as annoying as Marie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

She cheated on her husband

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli

Just to be on the clear here, I don't think much of BB and its cast to begin with. Its a stalled, filled with fillers and an unimpressive show with a terrible cast and a mediocre plot at best. How it is a 9.5 I have no idea whatsoever.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

this is why :P

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6413 Posts

@ChiefvsGordon: Haha oh my

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Anyone sending death threats to Anna Gunn is a fucking nutjob and needs to be institutionalized or sent to the puzzle factory until they can learn to separate reality from a fiction.

I didn't like Skyler either but I could in some ways see why she such a bossy snob. Walter had no balls in Season 1 and just tolerated everything Skyler threw at him. Walter always had Heisenberg buried deep down in him but he was self destructive from being the 'nice guy' way too much.

Skyler saw no one reason to be submissive and realized Walter was too passive and took advantage of that as any women would in a marriage.Eventually shit hit the fan in the latter seasons once Walt's passive / aggressive syndrome took full form aka Heisenberg.

Any female in a situation where her man is wimpy and overly passive with no real voice will eventually assume the role of the man and become the dominant one in the relationship. If Walter threw his balls down and gave her some good sex like he did at the end of the first episode in season 1, Skyler wouldn't have been such a bitch and maybe would have been more submissive.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

She's a bitch of their highest degree and played the victim card the whole way through despite her covering up and assisting in Walt's criminal endeavors ever since she found out about them.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Woman leads are always hated. Even if the roles were reversed, she would still be hated. Just look at the Walking Dead's Lori Grime.

Skylar was a flawed character just like Walter White and the hate for her and the actor who played her are unwarranted and childish.

Also: *raise flame shield*

ManInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ManInFlames
Member since 2013 • 434 Posts

@GazaAli: You have shit taste

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli

@ManInFlames said:

@GazaAli: You have shit taste

nah you just eat up mediocre shit thrown at you with a massive appetite that is all.

I'm Heisenberg and I cook meth boo hoo. 9.5 IMDB rating, what a fucking joke.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Barbariser said:

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GazaAli

@konvikt_17: lol

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

@GazaAli: Then what do you think is a brilliant show that defies the conventions of mediocrity?

Not to seem like a fanboy, but it does make one wonder when you seem to know about the show yet bash it.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I personally just disliked her character. I enjoyed when she actually became useful later on, but for most of the series she just doesn't seem to react to/handle anything well and it just drove me crazy. Way too overly dramatic.

Anyone sending death threats is dumb though.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GazaAli

@0Hamburgher said:

@GazaAli: Then what do you think is a brilliant show that defies the conventions of mediocrity?

Not to seem like a fanboy, but it does make one wonder when you seem to know about the show yet bash it.

I'm half way through season 5 so yea I've pretty much seen all that is to be seen in the show. The only episodes or "arcs" that were interesting enough are the episode when Walt went to see Tuco and the episode when Walt blew up Gustavo. Those were the only two episodes that are memorable enough for me. In many occasions I found myself skipping forward in an episode out of boredom. The characters are mostly annoying. I only love Saul and Mike, two secondary characters. The formula is repetitive in a very mundane way. Its basically the same routine and they just take it up a notch every season. I'm almost done with it and I can't believe its really ending. I'm still under the impression that it is just starting. It lacks depth, complexity and intuitiveness.

I'm not trying to bash on something popular. I really tried to like it but I just find it boring, really boring.

As for what I think is a brilliant show, House M.D was the bomb for me. I also love The Mentalist, keeping in mind that works are not directly comparable to each other, but they're rather "benchmarked" against what they're trying to do. Both of the shows I mentioned did/do what they're intended to do. They succeeded in generating the feelings, reactions and emotional/intellectual influence and response they're expecting. Breaking Bad on the other hand failed miserably for me. I found myself ridiculing the events and characters and thinking very little of them, the plot and the whole thing instead of for example seeing Walt's desperation or Skyler's frustration.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

She's a bitch of their highest degree and played the victim card the whole way through despite her covering up and assisting in Walt's criminal endeavors ever since she found out about them.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Didn't expect THIS much stupidity from this thread, but boy this...this is too much.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli

@SaintLeonidas said:

Didn't expect THIS much stupidity from this thread, but boy this...this is too much.

People can't hate a character in a show?

hmm...

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaintLeonidas

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

hmm...

Did I say that? Well, unless you have some different understanding of the letters and words in what I said then I think not. Hating a character is one thing, doing it for such idiotic reasons, is another.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli

@SaintLeonidas said:

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

hmm...

Did I say that? Well, unless you have some different understanding of the letters and words in what I said then I think not. Hating a character is one thing, doing it for such idiotic reasons, is another.

They seem to hate Skyler for reasons that are related to the plot and her actions in the show.

Better yet, why don't you just tell me what you find stupid about the comments? To eliminate the confusion I'm seemingly having because of my thick head.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintLeonidas

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

hmm...

They seem to hate Skyler for reasons that are related to the plot and her actions in the show.

Better yet, why don't you just tell me what you find stupid about the comments? To eliminate the confusion I'm seemingly having because of my thick head.

Pretty sure your comments spoke for themselves..." I can't stand the sight of her constipated face and deformed facial expressions." Do I REALLY need to tell why this comment is stupid? Thicker head then you might think I guess.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GazaAli

@SaintLeonidas said:

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

hmm...

Pretty sure your comments spoke for themselves..." I can't stand the sight of her constipated face and deformed facial expressions." Do I REALLY need to tell why this comment is stupid? Thicker head then you might think I guess.

You still haven't explained why you find this to be a stupid reason for hating a character. I do not find her acting to be enjoyable one bit. She overdoes it in her attempt to be act believably. She's not a fit for the role.

Can you explain why this is a stupid reason for not liking a character or its actor/actress?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas

You really can't see the stupidity in hating a character for her facial expressions? Just because you dislike the actress, whose work has been near unanimously praised, because you think she 'tries too hard' still doesn't make it reasonable to hate her or dislike the actual character. Beyond that, I always find it quite hilarious that those who would call her a liar, a hypocrite, stupid for putting her family in danger, etc. will then go and defend Walt to his dying breath even though he is infinitely more of an asshole. Sky has FAR better reasons for the way she acts and the reasons behind her actions, as disagreeable as they may be. Walt doesn't, and yet any time Sky gets in his way, somehow SHE is the b*tch. Stupidity. Stupidity across the board.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GazaAli

@SaintLeonidas said:

You really can't see the stupidity in hating a character for her facial expressions? Just because you dislike the actress, whose work has been near unanimously praised, because you think she 'tries too hard' still doesn't make it reasonable to hate her or dislike the actual character. Beyond that, I always find it quite hilarious that those who would call her a liar, a hypocrite, stupid for putting her family in danger, etc. will then go and defend Walt to his dying breath even though he is infinitely more of an asshole. Sky has FAR better reasons for the way she acts and the reasons behind her actions, as disagreeable as they may be. Walt doesn't, and yet any time Sky gets in his way, somehow SHE is the b*tch. Stupidity. Stupidity across the board.

rofl calm down sir, its just a TV show, a mediocre one that is.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@Barbariser said:

For some, this is sadly too true. Reading some of the comments made about the character and actress from other boards, articles, etc. are despicable.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
@Barbariser said:

This.

@SaintLeonidas said:

And also this.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GazaAli

Man this topic reeks of fanboyism.

DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

It's easy to label people as stupid for an opinion such as this but I unfortunately know several people I would consider smart (or semi) who also share this opinion. I do think some of the blame should be attributed to the writers for not giving enough time to dedicate to both Skyler and Marie and make them into more fleshed out characters and not just barriers preventing their husbands from doing what they want. It goes back to the question this past season about why people were still rooting for Walt this entire time, he's a character we've spent 5 seasons rooting for as he overcomes every challenge thrown at him which makes it difficult for alot of people to go against him despite all of his recent terrible deeds.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GazaAli

@DharmaMember77 said:

It's easy to label people as stupid for an opinion such as this but I unfortunately know several people I would consider smart (or semi) who also share this opinion. I do think some of the blame should be attributed to the writers for not giving enough time to dedicate to both Skyler and Marie and make them into more fleshed out characters and not just barriers preventing their husbands from doing what they want. It goes back to the question this past season about why people were still rooting for Walt this entire time, he's a character we've spent 5 seasons rooting for as he overcomes every challenge thrown at him which makes it difficult for alot of people to go against him despite all of his recent terrible deeds.

Which is why so many people hate Skyler. "Skyler" is not something that exists, it is the character Skyler, how its executed and what her role in the plot is. All of this is poorly done in BB which results in an annoying and dull character that people can't relate to or connect with. "Skyler" fails to evoke any positive or favorable feelings for or relating to her.

I'm not sure what the people that are against others hating on Skyler are talking about. I think they're too deep in this shit show to feel the need to defend a character as an entity that actually exists. No offense to you Dharma I'm not specifically talking about you.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35488 Posts

Some people have some valid reasons. Some have some reasons that seem less valid. The more loud people seem to fall into the later camp

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35488 Posts

This was are solid show.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c7f6feca3f/the-internet-s-problem-with-tv-wives

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30204 Posts

Because her character isn't interesting and she gets way too much screen time.

Show could only have been better if she, Flynn, and Marie were never part of the show.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Skylar was legitimately annoying. I saw things from her perspective and she still was a bitch, I couldn't understand why Walt didn't step out on her.

I like Betty Draper from Mad Men, she actually is a likable character.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4009 Posts

For the same reasons Sopranos fans love Carmela.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37391 Posts
Loading Video...

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

"Oh, you're dying of lung cancer but still doing everything you can to provide for the family financially?

You do that while I have a wild sex affair with my boss and gain lots of weight and become increasingly unattractive over the series. And don't think I won't complain and be unsupportive to you every step of the way."

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

rofl calm down sir, its just a TV show, a mediocre one that is.

You do indeed have bad taste in TV shows.....it is widely considered one of the greatest TV dramas EVER.

Your opinion is an outlier. Just the rare person who thinks little of it, or simply doesn't like it because it has gained popularity, an attempt to make yourself look cool. Not sure which.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I think most of the hate simply comes from the fact that she opposes Walt for most of the show. Most of the show is through Walt's perspective and he doesn't understand her behavior toward him, because in his mind he is simply trying to provide for his family. As the viewers of the show, Walt is the "hero" in so much as he is the main character and it's his story we are following so people naturally side with Walt, and therefore dislike Skylar for trying to stop his machinations

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Never got the hate either. Skyler behaved appropriately given the situation she was in, though she was flawed herself as a character as evidenced by the few times she 'broke bad.'

But yeah, not every woman would be all fine and dandy with their husband being a methamphetamine drug dealer.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#46 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think she was a good character.

Funny how she was high and mighty, wanting to divorce Walt and throw him out-- until she figured out she could get a cut of the money.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
Lone_Wolf_Lance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47 Lone_Wolf_Lance
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

Meh, I liked her and Lori from TWD, but I do understand why they get all the hate. Or maybe they're all like this because It's all just a conspiracy to make us think twice before getting married. lol

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

@leviathan91: Exactly, it seems like almost any outspoken woman on a tv show will garner hate, even if the other characters are assholes.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56918 Posts

because she is easily the worst character on the show and she kinds looks like a guy

ManInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ManInFlames
Member since 2013 • 434 Posts

@AFBrat77: Yeah, Gaza reeks of try hard hipsterism.