Why do black women straighten their hair?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] I know what you're saying but I have never seen straight haired black women with it.Lucky_Krystal

lol are you for real right now? 99% of the time a black woman with straight hair is wearing a weave. Which is why it looks straighten. Pretty much all the time straight hair on a black woman = weave. Natural black hair doesnt stay straighten for more than half a day, a weave last longer.

No actually it doesn't. My sister and a few of the female members of the family have naturally long hair that straightens well. They don't need weave. Also, if you take care of your hair, don't get it wet, and wrap it up at night, you're hair can stay straightened and nice for about 5-7 days.

Yeah and stay away from heat to like having the heater up high to the point where it makes you sweat. It also depends on the hair type as well.
#52 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -
Not all people need weaves to have straight hair. You do realize that right? Heck, you can get straight hair for a few days before even needing to redo it. No weave required.FreddyJeffery
I'm saying that's what black women use weaves for. They want to have straight hair that last for a while. They don't do their hair every few days. Weaves can make their hair last for a few weeks up to a month if they take care of them correctly.
#53 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]Fake hair added into real hair.soulless4now
I know what you're saying but I have never seen straight haired black women with it.

The weave is the straight hair. You would have to look closely at the scalp to tell if he's real or fake, but sometimes you can tell right away if it doesn't look natural and it's too Barbie doll like.

Wrong,they get perms and wraps,that has nothing to do with weave

#54 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.
#55 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] I know what you're saying but I have never seen straight haired black women with it.Bucked20

The weave is the straight hair. You would have to look closely at the scalp to tell if he's real or fake, but sometimes you can tell right away if it doesn't look natural and it's too Barbie doll like.

I'm talking about the final outcome of the process, plus not all of them get perms. They can cause breakage.
#56 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]The weave is the straight hair. You would have to look closely at the scalp to tell if he's real or fake, but sometimes you can tell right away if it doesn't look natural and it's too Barbie doll like. soulless4now

I'm talking about the final outcome of the process, plus not all of them get perms. They can cause breakage.

Ok if they don't use perms they can just flatiron their hair straight
#57 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -
[QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Bucked20

Pressing comb is more effective. Just saying.
#58 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]I'm talking about the final outcome of the process, plus not all of them get perms. They can cause breakage. soulless4now

Pressing comb is more effective. Just saying.

That makes the hair straightened,so where did you get the weave is the straight hair crap from ?
#59 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

lol, OT is probably not the best place to talk about black womens' hair.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#60 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

curly hair is ugly.

we all know it.

#61 Posted by gamerguru100 (12702 posts) -
Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.Rhazakna
lol Eurocentric Last time I checked straight hair is found in females of all races, not just whites.
#62 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.gamerguru100
lol Eurocentric Last time I checked straight hair is found in females of all races, not just whites.

That doesn't really contradict what he said.

#63 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

That makes the hair straightened,so where did you get the weave is the straight hair crap from ?Bucked20
It was bad phrasing.

Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.Rhazakna
That's how it was defined in a psychology book I read years ago. Quite interesting material.

#64 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.gamerguru100

It's not about that, it's about beauty standard being determined by Eurocentric norms. God, I sound like an ethnic studies major. Excuse me while I go drink bleach.
#65 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] .

I slept with a girl who looked a lot like this. She's one of the hottest I've been with. I wish the natural was back in style, it's a great look.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#66 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

Why do you care?

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
#67 Posted by deactivated-58061ea11c905 (999 posts) -

It's because straight hair is more attractive than kinky hair and black women want to look more attractive.

#69 Posted by RadecSupreme (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]first of all those girls you posted arent even black... especially the first one.FreddyJeffery
Here you go:

What's her name?

#70 Posted by Legend002 (13386 posts) -

Because they want to. Do people really need a reason to straighten their hair now? If that is what they want, go for it.

#71 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

It's because straight hair is more attractive than kinky hair and black women want to look more attractive.

pariah3

Attractivess is subjective.

Why exactly do you not realize something so simple?

#72 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
There's a nappy headed ho joke here somewhere...
#73 Posted by KingKinect (543 posts) -

I prefer natural hair and everything else regardless of whether it's straight or curly. Another epidemic is women who dye their hair. Too many people want what they don't have and the cosmetic companies make billions from it. I guess it's the grass is greener on the other side mentality. Personally I prefer natural uniqueness.

#74 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

GreySeal9

actually it's mainly biological with measurable trends.

#75 Posted by Hakumen21 (359 posts) -
Generally, I don't think most men prefer wooly hair on women.
#76 Posted by Angie7F (1175 posts) -

I think it just makes it easier to style.

A lot os asian women with slightly curled hair like to relax their hair because it goes out of control in rainy weather.

I have dead straight hair so i often envy people with volume.

#77 Posted by deactivated-58061ea11c905 (999 posts) -

Why exactly do you not realize something so simple?GreySeal9

That's **** It's not subjective. It is biological, hardwired to our brain therefore it cannot be subjective.

Why is it so hard for people to understand?

#78 Posted by gamerguru100 (12702 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Eurocentric beauty standards. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-cultural Marxism that gets applied to race, but it's true. I've been with a lot of black women (and I mean a LOT) and the most attractive were the ones who had natural hairstyles. Be true to who you are and all that jazz.Rhazakna

It's not about that, it's about beauty standard being determined by Eurocentric norms. God, I sound like an ethnic studies major. Excuse me while I go drink bleach.

lol "ethnic" (whatever the hell that means) studies" Another useless college field with few jobs Drink up, buddy. :P
#79 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7017 posts) -
[QUOTE="pariah3"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"] I think you need to look up what subjective means.

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

MakeMeaSammitch

You too.
#80 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5895 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]Attractivess is subjective.

Why exactly do you not realize something so simple?pariah3

That's **** It's not subjective. It is biological, hardwired to our brain therefore it cannot be subjective.

You're right to some extent. There are aspects of attraction that are subjective though, aspects which have nothing to do with health and reproduction and more to do with style.
#81 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

I prefer natural hair and everything else regardless of whether it's straight or curly. Another epidemic is women who dye their hair. Too many people want what they don't have and the cosmetic companies make billions from it. I guess it's the grass is greener on the other side mentality. Personally I prefer natural uniqueness.

KingKinect
Regardless of race, I think we can say that society is poisoning the mentality of women.
#82 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

There are biological factors involved Such as wider hips, facial structure, larger breasts, skinny, etc., But hair style, skin color, etc., are personal preferences shaped by experiences.
#83 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Why do white people tan.

#84 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

Why do white people tan.

OB-47
The same reason why hipsters exist They want to be black without being black.
#85 Posted by fireiyt (29 posts) -
hahah,agree you ~~~
#86 Posted by -Tish- (3624 posts) -
Sexy straight dark hair is the best kind on a woman. Why are you complaining?
#87 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
Sexy straight dark hair is the best kind on a woman. Why are you complaining? -Tish-
Asians, Indians, and blacks possess this
#88 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Good lord.

Attraction being biological does not make it not subjective.

The fact that people have different taste in women/men means that attraction is subjective.

#89 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

Because you're wrong. Only facts are objective. Judgments are always subjective.Whether one thinks someone is attractive is a judgment and therefore subjective.

The fact that people have different tastes when it comes to women/men show that attractiveness is subjective.If it was objective, people would have the same tastes.

I mean, doesn't the fact that some people find Katy Perry attractive while others don't give you a hint? :?

It really amazes me that some people don't know the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. I'm thinking schools at all levels need to have classes where they teach all manner of basic concepts.

#90 Posted by undergroundLPx (710 posts) -
I thought they all wear wigs. Every black woman I've seen on TV or met in person use them.
#91 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

I thought they all wear wigs. Every black woman I've seen on TV or met in person use them.undergroundLPx

You thought wrong.

But yes, some black women (and some white women for that manner) wear wigs.

#92 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5895 posts) -
[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Why do white people tan.

MetalDogGear
The same reason why hipsters exist They want to be black without being black.

Yeah, because tanned skin looks black...
#93 Posted by deactivated-58061ea11c905 (999 posts) -

Because you're wrong. Only facts are objective. Judgments are always subjective.Whether one thinks someone is attractive is a judgment and therefore subjective.

The fact that people have different tastes when it comes to women/men show that attractiveness is subjective.If it was objective, people would have the same tastes.

I mean, doesn't the fact that some people find Katy Perry attractive while others don't give you a hint? :?GreySeal9

Physical attractiveness is not completely subjective though. Physical attractiveness is determined by cultural, social and biological factors. Therefore it's not completely subjective.

In the past for example, obese men and women were considered attractive but today many people would admit that thin is more fashionable. The same goes for hairiness. Hairy men were considered attractive in certain periods in the past but today hairy men are not considered so attractive by a lot of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

#94 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

The more general questions should be:
Why do women with curly hair straighten it and why do women with strait hair curle it?

The correct answer:

Don't try to understand women.

#95 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]Because you're wrong. Only facts are objective. Judgments are always subjective.Whether one thinks someone is attractive is a judgment and therefore subjective.

I mean, doesn't the fact that some people find Katy Perry attractive while others don't give you a hint? :?pariah3

Physical attractiveness is not completely subjective though. Physical attractiveness is determined by cultural, social and biological factors. Therefore it's not completely subjective.

In the past for example, obese men and women were considered attractive but today many people would admit that thin is more fashionable. The same goes for hairiness. Hairy men were considered attractive in certain periods in the past but today hairy men are not considered so attractive by a lot of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

I'm not saying it's as subjective as what flavor ice cream one prefers. I realize that there are other factors besides personal preference at play. But ultimately, what is attractive is going to differ between various people even if there are common trends in what people find attractive. And if what people find attractive can differ, attractiveness can't be objective because objectivity stays the same regardless of human judgment. In short, notions of attractiveness can be biological/sultural/social and subjective at the same time.

#96 Posted by deactivated-58061ea11c905 (999 posts) -

I'm not saying it's as subjective as what flavor ice cream one prefers. I realize that there are other factors besides personal preference at play. But ultimately, what is attractive is going to differ between various people even if there are common trends in what people find attractive.GreySeal9

Culture, age, nationality, gender and race can play a lot of role in what find attractive or fashionable. But it's never possible to please everyone of course and some people will really not find you attractive. Even if you are very attractive supermodel, some people will still not find you so attractive.

#97 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

I thought they all wear wigs. Every black woman I've seen on TV or met in person use them.undergroundLPx

replace wig with weave for a more accurate statement

#98 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Good lord.

Attraction being biological does not make it not subjective.

The fact that people have different taste in women/men means that attraction is subjective.

women have different tastes in men.

men really don't.

both a biology thing.

environment plays a role.....but it's almost exclusively biology.

being attracted to people that look like you/your parents.

women pursuing mates with money.

people prefering traits that reflect health.

ect.

biology, biology, biology, cry 'bouts it.

#99 Posted by wii60_3 (2017 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] First off, Real black people? hippiesanta
here ... oprah winfrey

We takin about REALL negros IN HERE , not uncle toms

#100 Posted by Shmiity (6099 posts) -

Im a guy, and I straighten my hair. I had curly looks for so long, I wanted something different. Im not black, though.