Why are spanish people considered white?

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MaxPred2010 (547 posts) -

They look like they're arab or american indian. I mean look at George Lopez for example.

I don't understand.

#2 Posted by kidsmelly (5692 posts) -

Spanish people are from Spain George Lopez is mexican......

Or should I say Spainard I guess Spanish is just the language.

#3 Posted by savetehhaloz (2373 posts) -
I guess its because they are European.
#4 Posted by bigboss1203 (1885 posts) -

Im Spanish and is often mistaken for white, maybe because were located in Europe? Idk

#5 Posted by F1_2004 (8009 posts) -
I lol'd. George Lopez is Mexican, who are Latinos.
#6 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

They aren't. They are Caucasian.

#7 Posted by Captain_SOAP_ (542 posts) -

Not all of us look like george lopez;)

#8 Posted by MaxPred2010 (547 posts) -

Captain_SOAP_
Not exactly like him, not his exact facial features, his exact height or weight, or his exact age. But still pretty close.
#9 Posted by astrozombie37 (2687 posts) -

I lol'd hard :lol: Spaniards come from spain and George Lopez is mexican...

#10 Posted by Jing16 (14363 posts) -
Nobody wants to look like George Lopez. Not even George Lopez..
#11 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
they can be brown skinned so they arent always considered white. next thread: Why are black people considered white?
#12 Posted by Jing16 (14363 posts) -
[QUOTE="weezyfb"]they can be brown skinned so they arent always considered white. next thread: Why are black people considered white?

Arent Asians considered black in South Africa?
#13 Posted by Rheiken (677 posts) -
Spaniards are white. Look at the people in Resident Evil 4 if you need a reference. It's Mexicans who aren't.
#14 Posted by MaxPred2010 (547 posts) -

mexican people are spanish. I don't understand how they can be considered white. They're very dark-skinned, with non-white facial features, and black, un-straight hair.

#15 Posted by PeaceChild90 (781 posts) -

mexican people are spanish. I don't understand how they can be considered white. They're very dark-skinned, with non-white facial features, and black, un-straight hair.

MaxPred2010

Mexican people aren't considered white...

#16 Posted by Captain_SOAP_ (542 posts) -

[QUOTE="Captain_SOAP_"]

MaxPred2010

Not exactly like him, not his exact facial features, his exact height or weight, or his exact age. But still pretty close.

There are white, black and brown Hispanics .

#17 Posted by kidsmelly (5692 posts) -

MaxPred2010

They speak Spanish and have decendants from Spain, there is a difference.

#18 Posted by astrozombie37 (2687 posts) -

MaxPred2010
People from mexico are called mexican, and there are some light skinned people with straight hair and white features from mexico too.
#19 Posted by MrLions (9833 posts) -

MaxPred2010
Should I be offended by this? :lol:
#20 Posted by bruinfan617 (3767 posts) -

This whole thread is rediculous, but I sure could go for a Chipotle burrito right now.

#21 Posted by Nerd_Man (13819 posts) -

Just because Mexicans speak the language doesn't mean they're Spanish. They're still Mexican. Austrians speak German, but they're not German.

#22 Posted by Captain_SOAP_ (542 posts) -

[QUOTE="MaxPred2010"]

PeaceChild90

Mexican people aren't considered white...

I'm not Mexican( i'm Dominican for anyone that cares) but the un-straight hair thing is so much BS i have had Mexican friends with some straight as hair

#23 Posted by astrozombie37 (2687 posts) -

This whole thread is rediculous, but I sure could go for a Chipotle burrito right now.

bruinfan617
Mmm :D They have some awesome chips.
#24 Posted by Strider_91 (6570 posts) -
This thread probably isn't going to head the right way... :P
#25 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3745 posts) -
I lol'd. George Lopez is Mexican, who are Latinos.F1_2004
Sorry mate but you're wrong, we're not latinos, we're Mexican.
#26 Posted by depend3ncy (623 posts) -

Because some people dont know what google is?

#27 Posted by MrLions (9833 posts) -
[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I lol'd. George Lopez is Mexican, who are Latinos.ForsakenWicked

I think the census says otherwise.
#28 Posted by F1_2004 (8009 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I lol'd. George Lopez is Mexican, who are Latinos.ForsakenWicked

Well Latinos are people who originate from Latin America, of which Mexico is a part of?

#29 Posted by kidsmelly (5692 posts) -

Latinos come from Latin America. Mexico is part part of Latin America.

#30 Posted by depend3ncy (623 posts) -

Its a sad day when nerds arent nerdy enough to know the distinction between things. Add to that the lack of achievement in

any sphere outsideof gaming. If you are offended, this applies to you, time to think about changing your life for the better.

#31 Posted by shaka_fo00o (735 posts) -

Like everyone pointed out before Spanish people ARE white; just as Germans or French are. Not all people who speak spanish are spanish.

And @kidsmelly i'm pretty sure Latin America is referring to South America (and maybe a particular part at that?). BTW South America doesn't include Mexico..

#32 Posted by Shadowhawk000 (3453 posts) -
They are Caucasian..
#33 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
Spanish people are white. Mexicans have a mixed ethnic history of Spaniards crossed and American Indians, so they are a separate ethnic group from Mexicans and other Latinos. Also skin color doesn't necessarily mean ethnicity. My grandfather is darker than many black people, but he's Caucasian.
#34 Posted by Danm_999 (13924 posts) -
Hispanic in the US tends to mean anyone from a Spanish speaking nation. During the Age of Discovery, Spain was one of the first out the door in colonizing the Americas. It sent Spanish Europeans to Central, South and North America, and converted Natives to Catholicism, and taught them Spanish. In addition, like most other European empires of the period, Spain took African slaves across to the New World, and similarly taught them Spanish and Catholicism. The result is now that you have Spanish speaking European descendents, African descendents and Native American descendents, meaning Hispanics can be White, Black or Brown.
#35 Posted by funsohng (29976 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jing16"][QUOTE="weezyfb"]they can be brown skinned so they arent always considered white. next thread: Why are black people considered white?

Arent Asians considered black in South Africa?

no, i'm pretty sure they are just non-whites, which.... I really don't think makes any difference to S.African whites.
#36 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36303 posts) -
Because they are..........joke thread?
#37 Posted by Solid_Tango (8609 posts) -

They look like they're arab or american indian. I mean look at George Lopez for example.

I don't understand.

MaxPred2010

Spanish people? do you realize that there are atleast 15 countries that speak spanish? you only see mexican people (which are one of the darkest races that speak spanish) Most spanish speaking people are white specially in south america

#38 Posted by compost-mentis (631 posts) -

Do you mean Latin-American or Spanish? Spanish are Europeans. Latin-Americans (South and Central Americans) are not. They may speak a similar language that was handed down to them through old-skool colonialism, but they are definitely not the same.

#39 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79363 posts) -
I've always called them Spaniards. :? But technically, I guess they'd have to check European if he has to answer an ethnicity question on an application.
#40 Posted by 7hr95667 (25 posts) -
You really should take a history class...because you sound very uneducated. George Lopez is MEXICAN....NOT SPANISH THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. I am assuming from your education level that you also probably think that black people are white too...you know since they speak English and they have white last names. The point is...is that ignorant people like you label people...because of what they look like and what ethnicity they are...yet you don't even know....and yet you judge. I'll bet that you don't even know where your family roots come from...who knows you probably have Mexican too.
#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166916 posts) -

George Lopez is not Spanish......Spain is the land of the Spanish and it's European and settled by the basic indigenous people that settle the rest of Europe.

#42 Posted by sonicare (56813 posts) -

Ok. The TC confused spanish with hispanic. We don't need 245 replies telling him that spanish people come frome Spain. Or maybe we do. I dont know.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
#43 Posted by almasdeathchild (8922 posts) -

sigh....tc.....

tumblr_m5srmlA6si1r6tv0ro1_400.gif

tumblr_m5y5jcrGtb1qkf2ki.gif

#44 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166916 posts) -

Ok. The TC confused spanish with hispanic. We don't need 245 replies telling him that spanish people come frome Spain. Or maybe we do. I dont know.

sonicare
Hey it's on topic that way.....
#45 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25253 posts) -

Maybe I'm wrong on some or all of the following. But, I always thought "Spanish" referred to language only.

People from Spain are called Spaniards.

People from Mexico are Mexicans.

"Hispanic" is a general term for (primary language) Spanish-speaking people in the Western Hemisphere.

#46 Posted by AussieePet (11424 posts) -
They are white duuh, you confuse mexicans with spanish people lol , Pau Gasol is spanish white, his brother, Marc Gasol is spanish white , hmmmm ect people on the spanish team all are white i think you get my point
#47 Posted by ToastRider11 (2573 posts) -

[QUOTE="MaxPred2010"]

MrLions

Should I be offended by this? :lol:

No, have a sense of humor.:P

#48 Posted by megagene (23156 posts) -
This thread is over 2 years old. :|
#49 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

If by white you mean caucasian. Spanish people are caucasian. They're just tanned because it's a fairly hot country compared to other countries white people originate from.

#50 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

I have Spanish ancestry and look like f*cking Casper the ghost.