Who was your favorite Rock Band during the Grunge era?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

Grunge is definitely my favorite genre while growing up in the 90's, I have alot of Bands that I enjoy listening to and they are:

• Alice in Chains
  • Nirvana
  • Bush
  • Pearl Jam
  • Faith No More
  • Stone Temple Pilots (some fans would argue that they strayed away from grunge later in their career, but I love it all)
  • Offspring
  • Foo Fighters

Those are the one's I jam during the 90's. And that leads to you OT, what's your favorite Grunge bands?

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 427 Posts

Not a big grunge guy but Alice in chains is really good.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7394 Posts

Overkill

You said during the grunge era not grunge itself :).

Overkill were one of the few metal bands that didnt alter their music too much in response to grunge and kept playing bad ass heavy metal

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168173 Posts

Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains,, Soundgarden, and Nirvana...…...

Stone Temple Pilots was okay but outside the Seattle Sound. Foo Fighters would be more post grunge really. Green River was kind of interesting as well.....

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3386 Posts

I was more into the punk bands of the era, but enjoyed Alice in Chains and Soundgarden quite a bit.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 9787 Posts

i'd say Alice in Chains - Dirt is my favourite album from that era, but Soundgarden is my favourite 'grunge' band overall

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11741 Posts

Alice in Chains
Faith No More
The Offspring
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
Tool

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16271 Posts

@judaspete said:

I was more into the punk bands of the era, but enjoyed Alice in Chains and Soundgarden quite a bit.

Pennywise fan?

I was into punk at the time as well. I wasn't particularly fond of grunge because of all the self-loathing. At least punk threw shit.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3904 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: I enjoy both alot as well as metal.

As far as grunge id give it to the pixies. They are my #1

then alice in chains

then soundgarden

then pearl jam

Then nirvana

Nirvana was the first band from the genre I listed too, I used to listen to my dads nirvana cds on the school bus as a kid

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 2

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4266 Posts

For me it was bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Sex Pistols,Ramones, Led Zeppelin, etc ....... Pretty much Classic Rock.

Ethic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ethic
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

Well wasn't a grunge band, but as far as guitar sound goes Carlos Santana is my king!

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3904 Posts

@ethic: love me some santana

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26819 Posts

@brimmul777:

Now you're talking, those bands were right up my alley.....I still remember seeing the Sex Pistols and the Damned on 20/20 with my brother back in 1976 or 1977, couldn't believe how angry and aggressive the music seemed then. At about 15 years old it made quite an impression and I loved it! People dying their hair pink or green and wearing nose rings was quite radical back then haha. Saw the Ramones in the mid-80's with their core lineup, must have lost 10 lbs. in the first 15 minutes from slam-dancing (as it was called then), epic.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

For me it was bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Sex Pistols,Ramones, Led Zeppelin, etc ....... Pretty much Classic Rock.

You aren't wrong, I like Rock music all-around but I guess I was more into the grunge then anything else.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3794 Posts

It has to be Nirvana just love Kurts energy on stage.

Loading Video...

Also Alice in Chains of course and Soundgarden.

Man I miss the early 90's it was a amazing time to be alive and grow up in we had SNES, Sega Genesis arcade scene was still alive great times all around and music was just something special in this era .

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 985 Posts

I wouldn't call Faith no More, Offspring or Foo Fighters grunge. Faith no More is the best band on that list but if we're talking grunge, I gotta go with Alice in Chains and Nirvana.

@br0kenrabbit said:
@judaspete said:

Pennywise fan?

I was into punk at the time as well. I wasn't particularly fond of grunge because of all the self-loathing. At least punk threw shit.

Loves me some Pennywise. Saw them live at the Fillmore in Frisco in the early 90's.

The Bro Hymn live is awesome.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45400 Posts

The Melvins, but they are more pre-grunge.

Out of the more well-known grunge bands, probably Alice in Chains. They had the most talent, the best songs. Nirvana was all about Kurt and his celebrity, Pearl Jam was also good but ultimately they felt more rock than grunge.

Alice in Chains is the epitome of grunge in practice and spirit.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 985 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Only a Bay Area man would pull out the Melvins. Nice.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6586 Posts

Moist

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3386 Posts

@heathen75 said:

I wouldn't call Faith no More, Offspring or Foo Fighters grunge. Faith no More is the best band on that list but if we're talking grunge, I gotta go with Alice in Chains and Nirvana.

@br0kenrabbit said:
@judaspete said:

Pennywise fan?

Loves me some Pennywise. Saw them live at the Fillmore in Frisco in the early 90's.

The Bro Hymn live is awesome.

Yeah, Pennywise was cool. Never did see them live though :(

hisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hisk
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

Pearl Jam, for sure. I listened to this band until exhaustion lol but Foo Fighters will ever have a spot in my heart. Those two bands is the definition of my teenage years.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Soundgarden, STP, Local H, Sonic Youth. Also, internet says Radiohead is grunge, so them if they count. And I don't know if more punkish bands like the Pixies, Flaming Lips, and Dinosaur Jr. count either. And I'm of the unpopular opinion that AiC are overrated.

@davillain- said:

Grunge is definitely my favorite genre while growing up in the 90's, I have alot of Bands that I enjoy listening to and they are:

• Alice in Chains
  • Nirvana
  • Bush
  • Pearl Jam
  • Faith No More
  • Stone Temple Pilots (some fans would argue that they strayed away from grunge later in their career, but I love it all)
  • Offspring
  • Foo Fighters

Those are the one's I jam during the 90's. And that leads to you OT, what's your favorite Grunge bands?

Are Offspring considered grunge? I would have called them new wave punk.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9308 Posts

I think it was really one of the greatest times in music. You've got Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, LIVE, Candlebox, Silverchair, Pearl Jam....and then grunge wasn't really a typing at all, so it was more or less just some way they created to explain what the sound of that time was. So you could even go ahead and include really any rock/alternative group making music around that time.

Everyone could kind of do their own thing. There was no set image. You could get experimental, you could get loud, you could get soft. You could get a little goofy and inject some humor into the music, or be extremely pretentious. You could be as generic as you wanted to. I'd like to think that what a lot of the people from that time had going for them is they were smart people, and a little artistic, and they had the talent to kind of blend those things together to create something that paid tribute to the music they grew up with from the 50's-80's while simultaneously embracing a hopeful future and pointing out the present.

I think it's a little depressing that I liked those first four groups I mentioned, and all of their front-men are dead. There's a certain element of self-destruction in grunge that I think is there not so much because of the music, but because of the musicians writing about what they see. In the early 90's I was a kid, I didn't realize the world sucked yet, but a lot of these guys were in their 20's and 30's and stepped into a world fresh out of the 80's where people were finally beginning to talk about things openly.

Maybe things are futile, but I don't think the music was. Some great albums and music were made in the grunge era, and I can sit and listen to Badmotorfinger/Superunknown, Core/Tiny Music, Nevermind/In Utero, Dirt/Jar of Flies, etc, etc and it's still great. I love a lot of music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and yes, even some more modern stuff from the 2000's and more recent years. But the 90's were a special time.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5347 Posts

Mother Love Bone

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168173 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

Mother Love Bone

Interesting choice. A successor to Green River and precursor to Pearl Jam.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1201 Posts

I had just bearly made it to the world when the Grunge Era kicked off and was in its prime. However, I do like grunge a lot. I still have a song by Foo Fighters playing on one of my alarm clocks every weekday 😄