Who's seeing The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Already got my tickets =D Can't wait.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I want to see that and the Madea movie. I think the local theater only charges $5 bucks on Tuesdays.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I will when the crowds die down. I hate going to the theater and putting up with the obnoxious teens, phone checkers, talkers and tiny bladdered of society.

I am worried PJ has taken far too much license with this one. An Unexpected Journey was one thing, the early trailers for this one is another. WTF is Legolas, Galadriel and Evangeline Lily doing in there?

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

havent even seen a LoTR movie

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

The Desolation of Smaug What a horrible subtitle

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'm gonna wait and see it for $6 for tomorrow's before noon showings. I'll make sure to avoid the HFR version this time.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Yep, I'm leaving in about 15 min to go wait in line for the midnight premiere.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By whipassmt

@ferrari2001 said:

Midnight premiere, ain't that movie like 3 hours long? I don't like to go to sleep much later than 1.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

I'll see it eventually :)

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whipassmt

@Namgis said:

I will when the crowds die down. I hate going to the theater and putting up with the obnoxious teens, phone checkers, talkers and tiny bladdered of society.

I am worried PJ has taken far too much license with this one. An Unexpected Journey was one thing, the early trailers for this one is another. WTF is Legolas, Galadriel and Evangeline Lily doing in there?

I actually liked having the necromancer plot and the war of the Dwarves and Orcs in the first movie. Though I think they strayed a bit far with some thing, first off Manu Bennet should be playing Bolg son of Azog, not Azog himself. Bolg is actually in the Hobbit book, Azog is dead by that time. But in the movie the character is Azog, next thing you know he'll probably show up in the third Hobbit movie as Slade Wilson! Secondly in the book the existence of the Necromancer was known for centuries prior to the time of the Hobbit, yet in the movie Radagast happens to discover the Necromancer at the time of the Hobbit and he tells Gandalf that he found a sorcerer in "Dol Guldur", though in the books that area was only named Dol Guldur after the Necromancer moved in, prior to that it was called Amon Lanc ("the bald hill").

Legolas being in The Hobbit movie isn't that far-fetched though. The Hobbit book doesn't mention him, but the "elven-king" does appear in the book and Legolas is the son of that elven-king (King Thranduil, though that name is not mentioned in the Hobbit book).

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

I'll see it tomorrow when everyone else is at work.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Legolas is pretty cool in the movie, you guys gotta see it..

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@blamix99 said:

Did you have see the movie.....??

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

Gonna be going tonight after I get off from work

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Most definitely going to see it this weekend !

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I'm going tomorrow afternoon.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Just got home from the cinema. There is no post-credits scene in case any of you were planning to stay.

crediblehulk89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crediblehulk89
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Can't wait....going tomorrow morning

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@kingdre: I figured there wouldn't be. I'm going tonight at 9:10pm EST. Cannot wait! =D

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

Probably won't be seeing it.

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

I will see it at christmas.On the 24th,most likely.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The first one was kind of shitty, so I doubt I'll be going to see this one.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

@blamix99 said:

Did you have see the movie.....??

yup. seen it here in philippines at the 11th

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Probably not anytime soon. If I am seeing anything mainstream this weekend it'll be Frozen, and far too many other films coming out the rest of December to spend money on this.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Probably not anytime soon. If I am seeing anything mainstream this weekend it'll be Frozen, and far too many other films coming out the rest of December to spend money on this.

Any recommendations?

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

@Namgis:

@Namgis said:

I was quite lucky. On the premiere of the movie, I could find no kids, teens or anything else. But truth is that I went at 00h10 so kids were all asleep at that moment.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Any recommendations?

For the rest of December? American Hustle, Inside Llweyn Davis, Her, and The Wolf of Wall Sreet.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Midnight premiere, ain't that movie like 3 hours long? I don't like to go to sleep much later than 1.

I ended up going to sleep at around 3:30 or so and was up at 7:00 to get ready for work. Nothing a redbull and a bunch of coffee couldn't fix. It was totally worth it. Outstanding film. Few parts I didn't like but overall it was a very good movie.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@mattbbpl said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Any recommendations?

For the rest of December? American Hustle, Inside Llweyn Davis, Her, and The Wolf of Wall Sreet.

Much obliged. Only two of those were on my list, so I'll put the others on there as well.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Movie was awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch has the perfect Evil Dragon Voice.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@mattbbpl said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Any recommendations?

That's my list as well, though I want to see Nymphomaniac instead of American Hustle.

As for Hobbit, I like LOTR, but the first Hobbit was kinda sucky imo. So not overly wanting to see this one.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

The movie was awesome, so was the dragon.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Unfortunately gotta wait till next weekend to see this one, but then I will be seeing both Smaug AND Anchorman 2 on the same weekend so that will be boss!

For those who have seen this movie, how epic is Smaug? Could he be called the most awesome dragon to ever hit the big screen?

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Saw it yesterday. It was good, but I think I liked Unexpected Journey better (which is weird since most reviewers are saying the opposite.) Reviews say this movie starts off faster with action, but in fact it does not and the first half hour is as slow as the previous movie. It's not until they reach the spiders until things start picking up, well over 30 minutes into the movie.

Strange also that my two of my favorite characters in this movie (other than Smaug) were not even in the book. Legolas and Tauriel were amazing. Evangeline Lilly was a perfect she-elf.

The low point of the movie is easily Laketown, which was rather a snoozefest. Jackson didn't do anything interesting with it all.

The dragon Smaug delivers, which is most important. Although I wish he had more dialogue. It was only about 10 minutes worth then it turns into a 30 minute chase scene.

The ending was a bit too abrupt. Not a good transitional ending like any of LotR films had. This ending really emphasized how stretched out the Hobbit is made.

So in short, very much worth seeing, if not just for seeing Legolas, Tauriel, and Smaug alone.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I went to midnight showing with wife. They had 3 showings mine wasn't to pack but when they let out the theater was full of teens. Kind of surprised for a weekday at 3 am

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

was a good movie, better than the first.. still doesnt hold a candle to the LOTR trilogy

i really liked the parts with Legolas and Tauriel though

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It was a great film. Even better than the first one. I liked how they delivered some classic moments like the spiders, the barrels and of course Smaug.

Legolas and Tauriel were great additions as well. Evangeline Lilly did an excellent job as an Elf - better than I had expected her. Legolas was the definition of coolness as always.

I can't help but wonder though how they're going to fill the 3rd movie in the trilogy. Desolation of Smaug got us through Mirkwood, the Lake Town and Smaug under the mountain. I realize there are still some important parts in the story to be covered but I'm not sure if they're enough to justify another 2.5 hours of movie. Can't complain though, I love these movies so the longer the merrier.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@Namgis said:

Legolas was technically alive (and in Murkwood) at the time of the Hobbit despite not having been thought up yet by Tolkien. Arguably he belongs, but far more arguably does not seeing as how he was not in the book at all (same with Radagast). Galadriel appointed the White Council, and whether or not you believe the battle between the White Council and the Necromancer belongs in the movie (again not in the book, but was in the appendices) is one thing, but seeing as how they are doing it anyways she very much belongs in the movie.

Evangeline Lily is a made up character for the movie, and I can find no defense for her character being necessary. Tolkien's story is already a masterful work of art in my opinion, and it frankly doesn't need extra editions from people who have been working on bringing it to life for a handful of months. Nips and tucks sure, entirely new characters because one of the best adventure/fantasy authors story the world has ever seen just wasn't good enough? **** that.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By whipassmt

@Serraph105 said:

@Namgis said:

Legolas was technically alive (and in Murkwood) at the time of the Hobbit despite not having been thought up yet by Tolkien. Arguably he belongs, but far more arguably does not seeing as how he was not in the book at all (same with Radagast). Galadriel appointed the White Council, and whether or not you believe the battle between the White Council and the Necromancer belongs in the movie (again not in the book, but was in the appendices) is one thing, but seeing as how they are doing it anyways she very much belongs in the movie.

Evangeline Lily is a made up character for the movie, and I can find no defense for her character being necessary. Tolkien's story is already a masterful work of art in my opinion, and it frankly doesn't need extra editions from people who have been working on bringing it to life for a handful of months. Nips and tucks sure, entirely new characters because one of the best adventure/fantasy authors story the world has ever seen just wasn't good enough? **** that.

Then again Lurtz wasn't in the Lord of the Rings book, but he was made up for the movie.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@whipassmt: true, and he was totally awesome so there you go, perhaps it was because he didn't have any lines.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Prepare for the total bummer Halo 2 ending.

I seriously thought there was gonna be at least another 10-15 mins of movie.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I saw Desolation of Smaug yesterday in 3D. It was good, but as usual, people were whispering. Not only that, but the guy one seat down from me kept bouncing back on his seat, so my foot was repeatedly hit. Those people need to learn theater etiquette.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I also can't wait. Unfortunately I will be waiting for the late Chinese release. No Hobbit sex scenes for me probably.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#44 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
@BranKetra said:

I saw Desolation of Smaug yesterday in 3D. It was good, but as usual, people were whispering. Not only that, but the guy one seat down from me kept bouncing back on his seat, so my foot was repeatedly hit. Those people need to learn theater etiquette.

I would've made quiet comments until they looked at me... then I'd have taken my shirt off.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

I just saw the hobbit 2.................................and it is amazing.Better than the firs hobbit movie and the 3D is fantastic.....don't miss this movie in 3D.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@johnd13 said:
I can't help but wonder though how they're going to fill the 3rd movie in the trilogy. Desolation of Smaug got us through Mirkwood, the Lake Town and Smaug under the mountain. I realize there are still some important parts in the story to be covered but I'm not sure if they're enough to justify another 2.5 hours of movie. Can't complain though, I love these movies so the longer the merrier.

The book mentions Gandalf and Bilbo having more adventures on the way home. I suppose that's fertile ground for new material.

I don't see why people are noting inaccuracies with The Hobbit. PJ did a good job butchering LotR. So, I don't see why The Hobbit would be any different. I wouldn't use the movies in any "serious" Tolkien discussion. They're still good entertainment though.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Still haven't seen the first Hobbit.

To tell the truth I'm kind of hobbit'ed out. I love fantasy, just not Tolkien's version of it.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#48  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Seeing it sometime this week

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

just saw the new hobbit movie and it was absolutely terrible. despite turning a moderately long children's novel into 3 epic-lengthed films peter jackson has somehow managed to cut out pretty much all of the book's most memorable scenes and instead what is presented is hours of moronic filler material. all the wit and humour from the book is gone and replaced with imbecilic "lol derp" faces and other comparable gags (again with fucking radagast and the fucking bird shit in his hair jesus fucking christ he is a fucking wizard and he has bird shit in his hair and he is on fucking mushrooms this is fucking stupid).

and then he fucking shoehorns legolas into like half the fucking movie even though he adds nothing to the plot and is just there as fanservice. and that stupid elf woman doesn't add anything to the plot either and the entire love triangle between her legolas and kili is the stupidest fucking thing i have seen since idk when. since the last hobbit movie i guess.

and they fucking show sauron and have him speak and show his body. like WTF. that took all of the mystery and terror out of him. i mean as an eye there was a level of abstraction there that made him look strikingly memorable and absolutely terrifying in a supernatural way but this is just like something out of a shitty video game. in fact the entire movie is so full of cgi and looks so fucking fake i might as well have been watching a video game. the LOTR movies were filmed 13 fucking years ago and they look more realistic than this shit because they actually used SETS, and PROSTHETICS, and MINiATURE MODELS of buildings where as in these new movies it's just CGI CGI CGI.

and showing gandalf going around shooting light orbs out of his staff. jesus fucking christ that was so fucking stupid.

i couldn't even keep track of how many pointless battle scenes were put in the movie, which i assume were meant to distract from the two-dimensional characters and wooden dialogue. and speaking of terrible things that made me die a little inside every time they happened, which was - again - more often than i could count, there are SO MANY FUCKING REFERENCES to the LOTR trilogy.

wish ebert was still alive just so he could have ripped apart these films because i KNOW he would have because he UNDERSTOOD the books and their graceful beauty. it's like this is a fucking conspiracy to cover up the fact that these new films are fucking BULLSHIT and i am disgusted by their professional failings, the enormity of which is exceeded only by the failure that is this new hobbit trilogy - the BIGGEST cinematic letdown of my life.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

There's this new movie theater that I've been going to recently which is pretty nice. It's in a newly built high-end shopping center. Well, the owner has put A LOT of money into transforming the theater experience, trying to get away from the people that ruin the experience for everyone else. Well, I was seeing Gravity with the wife and a bunch of guys and girls were complaining, loudly, about the movie being so slow. Checking their phones, holding them in the air so that the back-lighting of the screen would annoy other patrons.

So I went up---or more specifically, down---to them and showed them my badge and told them that they were ruining the movie for everybody else. A few of them fell silent until one of the girls started questioning me. Asking me what reason a cop had for coming up to them. Apparently the owner had been about to come up to them and saw me do it, so he came up behind me and told them he had hired me to throw disruptive guests out. So I escorted the five people out, they weren't refunded, and now I get to go to this theater for free.

Point is, hopefully I'll have a better experience with this Hobbit than I did with the other.