Who is excited for Dune?

• 53 results
Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Who is excited for Dune? (29 votes)

Yay! 72%
Meh... 28%

Seems like a huge time ago since we saw a truly interesting movie.

I am super excited to go see it!

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: I did enjoyed a lot when it was less musical.

Yeah, the female vocals for the most part sound so forced, outdated even. Several synth parts too, like that scene where there's a giant spaceship emerging from water and Paul is contemplating it, that synth was so corny and unnecessary.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

I really appreciate the visual language Villeneuve excels at; I find his style often a tad lingering, pensive, somewhat meandering, oftentimes to detriment but not here……it’s perfectly adept at encapsulating and enforcing Dune’s placement, scale and sense of gravitas. Seeing the dunes turn basically into water under the worm’s power is incredible. I can understand some of the criticisms laid at the feet of character development and pacing I’ve heard, perhaps these will be better addressed in the broader context sequels afford, but this is the universe I’ve always envisioned best aligned to Herbert’s inception. I absolutely adore the art direction and costumes…..just brilliant. The Fremen’s look is flawless, and unlike Lynch’s version, affords a lot of individualism in appearance. It really feels like a nomadic culture instead of a manufacturing line.

But I will admit, if one hasn’t read the novel, I can completely understand how this wouldn’t grip somebody or would leave them ambivalent or leave them with a sense of bewilderment and…perhaps…emptiness? Dune is a heavyweight on so many different levels, and any film adaptation is going to be, at best, a cursory glance on the surface of the depth available of this world. To that, I find this film a nice compliment to its source material, but maybe a bit too much to achieve much merit in the medium it seeks to inhabit here. Had I not the book to substantiate what the film lacks, I’d more than likely think less of it. Cinema is simply too constrained to address this to the degree deserved, much less required. But I’ll take it in the understanding of a compliment, because I think that’s honestly the best we are able to get.

But man, I love this film and universe and am eagerly awaiting the follow-ups.

As an aside, this is screaming for a modern day RTS in the style of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

An absolutely fantastic movie and the best I've seen in theatres for a long while.

Also just saw The Last Duel which was really good too.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts