Who here hates masculinity?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

@plageus900 said:

@multiplat: Wow I definitely hit a nerve...

Anyway, look at the picture. Unless I'm mistaken, that's her husband out in front carrying the bags while another man carries his wife and child.

no nerve hit at all..., like i said what the Swat guy is doing is indeed admirable the pic is super clear. This is what people do in precarious situations, it has nothing to do with masculinity.

Swat Guy: able bodied

Husband: not able bodied

The husband probably wouldn't get 10 feet carrying his wife n baby before lactic acidosis hits... OR maybe the husband is just an asshole that cares more about his Maroon nikes then his family.. hahaha.. i like how the baby is snoozing like "nobody better wake my slumber"

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@multiplat: Pretty much what I thought. Either way, I know who she thought about that night. :D

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:
@superbuuman said:

@demi0227_basic: Depends do you walk normally or you tend to over sway your shoulders like a thug/tough guy? when you walk. :P

Don't hate masculinity..do hate people who walks like a thug/tough guy wannabe. :P

I walk as normal as a guy my size walks, I guess. I don't peacock around like Conner Mcgreggor! lol

haha..you know what I am talking about..good on you for looking after yourself. :)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@korvus said:

Did you just create a thread to basically say "Look at my photo, I'm even more buff nowadays"? GG dude :D

Nope. I love this community, but I couldn't care less about what anybody here thinks of me in that regard.

Then why make a thread about what people think lol

I hope you can see the irony.

I don't see a lick of irony. I see a curiosity (people getting mad/angry with a picture when it has nothing to do with a topic (game related)), and I thought I'd ask people about it. Because I am curious, and I like to learn. ;)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 demi0227_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@sonicare said:

Millennials have embraced obesity over masculinity, so you're out of luck.

Are you body shaming? Tsk tsk.

Some people should be ashamed of their bodies. Poor eating/activity habits are vices. Type 1 diabetes costs some 600k over the lifetime of a disease.

It's not healthy, not "ok" to be grotesquely obese. I don't say this to be a jerk...it's just a fact. It causes a HUGE amount of suffering and is the leading cause of death in USA among all health factors involved.

If people feel ashamed because of their bad habits, then that's a good thing, as it'll steer people towards better, more virtuous behavior. "Plus" sized models are models that are less healthy than they could be...don't buy the nonsense man. Most people find "attractive" to be a property of health...working out and eating healthy food promotes objectively happier lives, greater financial ability (less spent on healthcare), more productivity, etc. As well as contributing to happier, healthier relationships.

Anyways...I guess I'm promoting body shaming as a virtuous thing...sure, it can be cruel, but a nudge towards the "good" isn't bad, is it?

I was really only ribbing @sonicare but since you're getting into it....

I agree that people should be ashamed of their bodies. Obesity is a tremendous strain on our healthcare and as as a result, the economy. Hell, pollution even rises because automobiles and airplanes have to use more fuel to transport the extra weight. People should be striving for healthier bodies because healthier minds usually stem from healthier lifestyles. With that said, however....

We have to exercise extreme caution when it comes to commenting on people's appearances. You shouldn't ever view body shaming as a virtuous thing, because for starters, it's not your place to comment on someone's weight and ultimately is a form of bullying. Damage can happen as a result of good intentions. The nudge you're talking about may be nudging people towards the good, but it also can have an adverse effect and nudge them towards the bad on either side of the scale. Some people stress eat because they're constantly being called fat. It's a vicious cycle. The only thing that gets them out of desperation of being called fat is to keep eating, which makes them fatter, so they eat MORE when they're told they're getting fatter. Then, you have the ones who don't know how to stop losing weight because they're scared of ever being fat again, and they develop bulimia or anorexia. People have died from eating too much and not eating enough as a result of people "only wanting the best for them".

If you care enough about someone that you want to see them improve through a healthier lifestyle, then you should know the person on a close personal level and work with them, not just say, "You should eat less. You'll feel better!" But, "Come exercise with me! Let's get a salad afterward." Telling a complete stranger, "You'd really look a lot better if you'd just lay off the cupcakes" probably is going to lead them to eat a cupcake... or they won't just stop at not eating cupcakes, but nothing at all.

I'd agree with you on just about everything you said! Tact should ALWAYS be used, and the subject is a touchy one for sure! There's no denying the role of psychology in this instance. Body "shaming" should really be a positive effort attempting to improve the quality of people's lives, and the world as a whole. Teasing/mocking etc overweight people doesn't help and only brings harm...it's a very fine line.

Anyways...I liked your post. Especially about fuel costs! I'd never even really considered it before, but that's a great point. Some quick math: 320,000,000 peeps in the USA (I'm guessing here cause I have work in a bit)...some 60 percent of US adults are obese to some degree. Let's say 240,000,000 are adults...If that's the case, 144,000,000 people are overweight. Let's average that to only 30lbs of extra weight (Again...all these numbers pulled out of my ass). That'd be 4,320,000,000 extra pounds needing to be commuted every day...just in the USA.

I'd love to see some actual math on that and the amount of jet fuel/gasoline/diesel that we spend on a daily basis to offset the extra weight. But yeah...I couldn't agree with you more, man.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@multiplat said:

@Todddow also the 6'4 280lb guy 41 year old guy,... that is crazy weight for 6'4. you outweigh the Rock, Lebron at 6'8, .... your dimensions are basically like Nasser El Sonbaty in his prime (whose personality i thought was pretty cool)... unless your like a fat strongman type of physique with giant belly.

Haha, Nasser was beast, but I would never want to look like that. I've never thought bodybuilders look good and they certainly aren't healthy. I know a few, they take so many different chemicals these days, it's not something I would ever want to get into and never have.

I admire the Rock's physique, but even that isn't going to happen without some level of steroid use.

I'm built much like NFL DE Joey Bosa (he's 6'5" 280 lbs), but I have naturally broader shoulders. In fact, I played DE in college also.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Taking pictures of yourself to show your hot bod I associate with narcissism.

If you look at something like twitter, females who perceive themselves as attractive basically spam pictures of themselves, sometimes with obvious fake (insert justification) to cram themselves into a photo.

So yea, common trait to both sex's.

-

To me when I think of masculine it's a male who gets shit done without lying down - see sig (which is also applicable to woman) or a male completely secure, not needing to bother with validation, because they intrinsically know the score.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@sonicare: You sound like a Fox News senior citizen.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Taking pictures of yourself to show your hot bod I associate with narcissism.

If you look at something like twitter, females who perceive themselves as attractive basically spam pictures of themselves, sometimes with obvious fake (insert justification) to cram themselves into a photo.

So yea, common trait to both sex's.

-

To me when I think of masculine it's a male who gets shit done without lying down - see sig (which is also applicable to woman) or a male completely secure, not needing to bother with validation, because they intrinsically know the score.

yes to the op, this i agree with.... masculinity (genuine) is defined as not needing validation in any form, because you already know.... kind of why I thought neither your picture nor the SWAT picture did really capture the definition, that was more like an able bodied citizen doing what any able bodied citizen would do. keyword is able bodied.

Do I honestly feel like I can physically fight very well (1 vs 1) and do maximum damage? yes. Is there anything I do or say to suggest that I can or cannot? nope. well other than this reply

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

I goof here (have been on the boards 20 years!) quite often...and one of the things I've noticed is that a good amount of people hate my picture, associating it with some kind of masculinity. This masculinity seems to be a negative for a number of people. I'm just curious how many gamers aren't fond of masculinity.

What's funny is that pic is so old...I'm way bigger now (240...maybe 205/210 in that picture). Is it inherent that a lot of gamers don't like muscle? I'm just curious because I'll tease console gamers (I'm a pc mostly guy, but own 2 xbones and 1 ps4) and it seems a lot of their retorts have something to do with me being a "tough" guy or some such nonsense. Especially as it's not anything I ever bring up. It seems masculinity bothers some people.

The stereotype actually derives from early social media in regards to those with feelings of insecurities...the beta males. Alpha males are typically leader personality traits and beta's have follower personality traits but in the age of special snowflakes rising, they used social media to turn it around so that Alpha's could no longer be seen as something to envy or respect. We see similar being used for lots of things that some find intimidating. They also sometimes get labeled synonymously with bullies. Masculinity is preferred to be viewed as conceited "Lunk's" from those that lack self confidence, personal pride and a proactive attitude. This spawns, of course the stereotypes of what they look like and muscles being the most easily perceived way to judge someone.

When I was in school, lifting was the way to go. It was a proactive measure to assure future stature in social groups. I noticed a trend just as I was graduating HS where those we called "nerds" started dressing nicer and took on the "nice guy" personality image which later evolved and then changed sharply as social media became more common. Companies like Planet Fitness furthered this complex demonstrating their "Lunk alarm".

Regardless of which personality type you are, there will always be fewer leaders and more followers percentage wise and it's part of human, social nature. People need to recognize that there is nothing wrong with neither, they each serve an important role in any social society. Leader types will always come off to the larger crowd as A**holes though.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#61 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

I'd agree with you on just about everything you said! Tact should ALWAYS be used, and the subject is a touchy one for sure! There's no denying the role of psychology in this instance. Body "shaming" should really be a positive effort attempting to improve the quality of people's lives, and the world as a whole. Teasing/mocking etc overweight people doesn't help and only brings harm...it's a very fine line.

Anyways...I liked your post. Especially about fuel costs! I'd never even really considered it before, but that's a great point. Some quick math: 320,000,000 peeps in the USA (I'm guessing here cause I have work in a bit)...some 60 percent of US adults are obese to some degree. Let's say 240,000,000 are adults...If that's the case, 144,000,000 people are overweight. Let's average that to only 30lbs of extra weight (Again...all these numbers pulled out of my ass). That'd be 4,320,000,000 extra pounds needing to be commuted every day...just in the USA.

I'd love to see some actual math on that and the amount of jet fuel/gasoline/diesel that we spend on a daily basis to offset the extra weight. But yeah...I couldn't agree with you more, man.

Yeah, I'm trying to remember the documentary that brought up the interesting point of increased fuel consumption as a result of excessive weight. I want to say it was Killer At Large. If that's the one I'm thinking of, it was a documentary about the obesity epidemic brought about by the rise of fast food companies, namely McDonald's. Again, if this is the same one I'm thinking of, they also showed a direct correlation to the decline of Japan's health shortly after McDonald's arrived there. I know McDonald's gets a lot of flack for being the harbinger of obesity, and well... rightly so. Their food honestly isn't that good for you and it's addictive and sometimes cheap (as opposed to always being cheap, but inflation's affected them over the recent years as with all other restaurants).

Of course, we all know Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me. That documentary had so much impact, it caused McDonald's to start changing their policies and marketing. It was kinda pointless, however, when they discontinued their Supersize opinions (although now their larges are just as bad) because people would just buy more fries. What I also found a bit disconcerting was Spurlock's focus on McDonald's as being the main culprit for obesity when there are other fast food chains far worse in fat content than McDonald's, such as Long John Silver's. But well, if you're going to make a point, might as well do it with the biggest name? Right? Another thing that bothered me about Supersize Me was Spurlock's experiment. Basically, eat McDonalds' morning, noon and night (which I doubt even the fattest American does) and don't exercise. Of course, he does this after living a vegan lifestyle with his girlfriend for years, so he immediately suffers system shock...

Supersize Me actually inspired marijuana comic Doug Benson to make his own documentary called Fathead. He came to the same conclusion with Spurlock's experiment being a bit ridiculously flawed, so he modified it a bit. In Fathead, Benson at nothing but fast food for 30 days (which Spurlock actually couldn't even do before getting strongly recommended by his doctor to stop or he could 'DIE' *eye roll*) but he didn't just stick to McDonald's. He went to different restaurants, provided they were still classified as 'fast food'. KFC, Pizza Hut, Boston Market, etc. What he also did differently was limit his caloric intake to, I think it was, 2,500 calories and he watched his fats and carbs. Because he ate smarter, even nothing but 30 days of fast food while also not adding any kind of exercise, he actually LOST 13 pounds at the end of the documentary. This illustrated that Supersize Me was really nothing but an attack on McDonald's in order to sell a movie and did a pretty poor job representing the fast food driven obesity epidemic in America.

And I just realized I took this thread completely off topic! Sorry about that! I just find all this stuff really interesting!

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 demi0227_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Yeah, I'm trying to remember the documentary that brought up the interesting point of increased fuel consumption as a result of excessive weight. I want to say it was Killer At Large. If that's the one I'm thinking of, it was a documentary about the obesity epidemic brought about by the rise of fast food companies, namely McDonald's. Again, if this is the same one I'm thinking of, they also showed a direct correlation to the decline of Japan's health shortly after McDonald's arrived there. I know McDonald's gets a lot of flack for being the harbinger of obesity, and well... rightly so. Their food honestly isn't that good for you and it's addictive and sometimes cheap (as opposed to always being cheap, but inflation's affected them over the recent years as with all other restaurants).

Of course, we all know Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me. That documentary had so much impact, it caused McDonald's to start changing their policies and marketing. It was kinda pointless, however, when they discontinued their Supersize opinions (although now their larges are just as bad) because people would just buy more fries. What I also found a bit disconcerting was Spurlock's focus on McDonald's as being the main culprit for obesity when there are other fast food chains far worse in fat content than McDonald's, such as Long John Silver's. But well, if you're going to make a point, might as well do it with the biggest name? Right? Another thing that bothered me about Supersize Me was Spurlock's experiment. Basically, eat McDonalds' morning, noon and night (which I doubt even the fattest American does) and don't exercise. Of course, he does this after living a vegan lifestyle with his girlfriend for years, so he immediately suffers system shock...

Supersize Me actually inspired marijuana comic Doug Benson to make his own documentary called Fathead. He came to the same conclusion with Spurlock's experiment being a bit ridiculously flawed, so he modified it a bit. In Fathead, Benson at nothing but fast food for 30 days (which Spurlock actually couldn't even do before getting strongly recommended by his doctor to stop or he could 'DIE' *eye roll*) but he didn't just stick to McDonald's. He went to different restaurants, provided they were still classified as 'fast food'. KFC, Pizza Hut, Boston Market, etc. What he also did differently was limit his caloric intake to, I think it was, 2,500 calories and he watched his fats and carbs. Because he ate smarter, even nothing but 30 days of fast food while also not adding any kind of exercise, he actually LOST 13 pounds at the end of the documentary. This illustrated that Supersize Me was really nothing but an attack on McDonald's in order to sell a movie and did a pretty poor job representing the fast food driven obesity epidemic in America.

And I just realized I took this thread completely off topic! Sorry about that! I just find all this stuff really interesting!

Don't be sorry...this is like a podcast. Sometimes (more often than not, even) the best conversations held are the ones that naturally change subjects. It's how we all learn, yeah? And people will read your words and maybe it'll help them change their life for the better, so good on you.

Regarding fast food...I'm all for it. Just not WHAT they serve. There are so many people that associate red meat with unhealthy diet, but the studies ignore what comes with that red meat. I'll eat a baconator from Wendy's, lettuce wrapped and no sauce...mmm...and healthy. It's all the carbs in the bun/sauces that really screw people over. I eat probably 60 percent meat, 20 percent veggies and then nuts or fuckaround foods the other 20 percent. I'm not a professional athlete. But I do stray from the carbs. It's hilarious, because people get pissed when you order burgers without buns, or decline a piece of birthday cake. I find it fascinating how they are offended. Psychology is quite intriguing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#63 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@korvus said:

Did you just create a thread to basically say "Look at my photo, I'm even more buff nowadays"? GG dude :D

Nope. I love this community, but I couldn't care less about what anybody here thinks of me in that regard.

I don't see a lick of irony. I see a curiosity (people getting mad/angry with a picture when it has nothing to do with a topic (game related)), and I thought I'd ask people about it. Because I am curious, and I like to learn. ;)

Well, clearly you do care then. If you didn´t care one bit about what people think, you would not feel the "curiosity" to make a thread about it.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 demi0227_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@korvus said:

Well, clearly you do care then. If you didn´t care one bit about what people think, you would not feel the "curiosity" to make a thread about it.

Damn man...you got me so good. Congratulations to your win in showing what a moron I am. :)

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Damn man...you got me so good. Congratulations to your win in showing what a moron I am. :)

See, this is why I don't judge muscleheads based on the few douchey ones I've met over the years anymore.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#66 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Funny.

Did you have help coming up with that comeback?

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 demi0227_basic

@theone86 said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

See, this is why I don't judge muscleheads based on the few douchey ones I've met over the years anymore.

I like to judge people on the merits of their character too. Generally, people who work out tend to be brighter, happier, and more successful in general. That's not BECAUSE they work out...but they just have a little more dedication and/or discipline. You don't see so many doctors/lawyers/engineers etc that are horridly out of shape. Sure, it happens, but it's less common.

That's not to say out of shape people lack discipline. Plenty peeps do great in other areas of life yet neglect their bodies. And, to be honest, I think there are character traits that often align with being out of shape. How many fat comedians are great BECAUSE they've given in to having an unshapely body and use it as a prop, learning to live with it while still having confidence.

Personally...I think there are some people in these boards that think I'm in better shape than I am. You can only see the top 4 of my 6 pack, so I'm only 2/3rds the way to being ripped out like that. Then again I'm married/kids/business so I'm ok with where I'm at. I mostly work out because if I don't...I'll mess things up, somehow, some way. I get a lot of pent up energy and I'm a bit wild...so it's a way to center myself. I'm not out to get poon or anything like that. I have it on demand! Mwa haha.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 demi0227_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Funny.

Did you have help coming up with that comeback?

lol...lot's of anger coming from you, buddy. Relax a little bit. I'll clarify if it helps.

A) I don't care what people think about me on these forums. What I mean by that is this; my confidence isn't affected by opinions on these forums. I wish all my fellow gamer brethren well and all the joy they can handle.

That doesn't mean I can't be curious. I'll make threads about various topics, and from time to time people make references to my picture as though it has anything to do with my character. I find that interesting.

I hope you can get whatever is in your' butt out...I wish you all the happiness in the world and you really seem angry. I hope you can get over it at some point, and that things improve for you.

:)

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

This thread appears to be a dude fishing for compliments about his body from a bunch of other dudes, then lashing out when they don’t come. Seems like something a woman would do instead of a guy who claims to be masculine.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Some guys are really too absorbed by the image they think they need to have. I noticed that that veil is usually thin and underneath is often an insecure person. Some people are naturally masculine and some are naturally feminine and there is nothing wrong with either. As long as you are true to yourself and don't put up an act. It's pretty liberating to just be you without having the pressure to be someone you're actually not.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I really, really hate it when other blokes get drunk and then insist on wrestling competition to see who's the strongest and manliest bloke around. That is the kind of infantile masculinity I could def live without.

Other I hate is when there is a new girl around, right, and all the other blokes at work start this mating dance by trying to look as masculine and tough as possible so as to attract the new girl. It's like watching monkeys in heat at Discovery Channel. Truly, most of us men are still at the primate state. No evolution whatsoever.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@henrythefifth: humans (including women) are literally primates.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Masculinity has nothing to do with how buff you are. I see it as a state of mind like how you act around people, what you do in certain situations, Are you willing to stand up for yourself even if it's Brock Lesnar trying to start shit.

A comment mentioned dudes acting tough when women are around, yeah that's cringe as F.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Big muscles are signifiers of insecurity, an idea that your body equates to your personality, violence and homoerotisicm.

The concept of male beauty being associated with physical strength stems from ancient Greece where homosexuality was celebrated and (more wealthy) men would take male lovers before getting married and idealised bodies with big muscles became a de facto shorthand for virility and virtue. Hence male gods were always exaggerated in their muscular form. In the Italian renaissance, these concept were reintroduced into mainstream culture which our western culture still refers to.

Insecurity is the reason people want to 'modify' their bodies.

Lifting weights is very unhealthy and causes problems in joints that lead to arthritis and can be crippling.

I'm not out to get poon or anything like that. I have it on demand! Mwa haha.

I just did a little sick in my mouth. :(

Now obesity... :)

Fast food chains are not related to overall population BMI (body mass index) which is fat / height. That is related to inactivity as well as processed food bought in supermarkets and I'm talking about frozen foods. People don't eat at fast foods outlets every day, they mostly eat frozen foods for convenience which are the real culprits. McDonald's won't make you fat because the body cannot process the food and it is mostly turned to waste. Walking less than a mile a day is unhealthy. But US car culture (due in part to the size of the cities, lack of public transport and sidewalks) has eradicated, for the most part the necessity or even convenience to use your actual legs to travel.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#77 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Masculine traits exist in women also, so it's irrational to hate traits that we all hold.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jackamomo

@so_hai: Yeah a very weird post topic. Perhaps it was to try to understand how exaggerated gender stereotypes and modes of behaviour perhaps tend to garner negative attention from those who favour the more median or less extreme examples. Perhaps due to the prosthelytizing of those with a more extreme outlook, onto them...

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#79 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@jackamomo: Yeah. The differences between men and women aren't nearly as pronounced as some activists wish they were.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 demi0227_basic

@jackamomo said:

Big muscles are signifiers of insecurity, an idea that your body equates to your personality, violence and homoerotisicm.

The concept of male beauty being associated with physical strength stems from ancient Greece where homosexuality was celebrated and (more wealthy) men would take male lovers before getting married and idealised bodies with big muscles became a de facto shorthand for virility and virtue. Hence male gods were always exaggerated in their muscular form. In the Italian renaissance, these concept were reintroduced into mainstream culture which our western culture still refers to.

Lifting weights is very unhealthy and causes problems in joints that lead to arthritis and can be crippling.

Fast food chains are not related to overall population BMI (body mass index) which is fat / height. That is related to inactivity as well as processed food bought in supermarkets and I'm talking about frozen foods. People don't eat at fast foods outlets every day, they mostly eat frozen foods for convenience which are the real culprits. McDonald's won't make you fat because the body cannot process the food and it is mostly turned to waste. Walking less than a mile a day is unhealthy. But US car culture (due in part to the size of the cities, lack of public transport and sidewalks) has eradicated, for the most part the necessity or even convenience to use your actual legs to travel.

There's a lot of misinformation in this post. I'm curious where you were told people that exercise are insecure? The data tends to show psychologically healthier and more confident people are prone to work out. Fascinating. I'm also curious how you came to believe lifting weights is unhealthy, as ALL the data from the past 70 years has shown the various benefits of lifting weights.

I'm glad my "poon" comment made you a little sick, just because I find that kind of sensitivity comical. I'm married, an adult, and am sexually active. Sorry for your sensitivity. Don't EVER watch a comedy special on Netflix...you'll be puking on all the walls.

Lastly...claiming that fast food chains (processed sugar specially designed to addict people at affordable prices, packed with lots of convenience) have no relation to a populations bmi goes against all the data from world statistics in the past 30 years at least. Sure, it's just part of the picture of heavily sugar laden, preprocessed (ie digested) food, but it's a large contributor.

Anyways...just wanted to say you may want to investigate some of the claims you made. If you'd like to comment back some retorts to say how your information is accurate, I won't have time to debate flat eathers or young earther type people anymore. Too many fires to put out.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

what is and is not 'masculine' is highly subjective.

usually it just describes aggression

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@jackamomo: It's amazing that everything g you've just said is wrong, impressive to say the least.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Todddow

@jackamomo said:

One of the most wrong posts I've ever seen on a forum that wasn't a blatant troll attempt.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jackamomo

@todddow:

What are big muscles for if your not doing a job that requires them? It is an aesthetic choice based on your opinion that you would prefer a particular body shape.

Larger muscles are not even required for strength as they tend to be full of water (if you cheat) and lifting weights puts strain on your joints. I think you have to be very careful not to overdo it.

"...attempting to lift weights that are too heavy can result in muscle injuries and other health problems. This is especially important if you are trying to lift weights in excess of half of your body weight, as life-threatening complications can occur."

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/consequences-lifting-heavily-2382.html

It seems information on the internet seems to gloss over alot of the dangers involved in the pastime.

Greek aesthetic culture: "Depictions of the nude male form were often explicitly or implicitly homoerotic."

https://classroom.synonym.com/ancient-greek-male-body-15164.html

McDonald's etc has very little nutritional content therefore it is mostly turned to waste but that may well be pure conjecture on my part.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-eating-a-big-mac-does-to-your-body-in-an-hour

I'm glad my "poon" comment made you a little sick, just because I find that kind of sensitivity comical. I'm married, an adult, and am sexually active. Sorry for your sensitivity. Don't EVER watch a comedy special on Netflix...you'll be puking on all the walls.

That's a nice way to talk about your wife is all. American comics are notoriously sexist, just look at Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor and a comedy roast is just not funny and horrible to watch. American comics suffer seriously from machismo syndrome so yeah I probably would puke.

I really enjoyed Pablo Franchesco and Brian Regan though.

Loading Video...

@demi0227_basic: One of the most wrong posts I've ever seen on a forum that wasn't a blatant troll attempt.

Which part?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@jackamomo: Which part, Ummm, all of it.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Todddow

@jackamomo said:

@todddow:

What are big muscles for if your not doing a job that requires them? It is an aesthetic choice based on your opinion that you would prefer a particular body shape. - "Big muscles" is pretty vague. But, most people will recognize that someone who is very skinny and someone who is very fat are not healthy. I've already shared some of my thoughts on steroids and other PED's in my other posts, they are not healthy either and if by "big muscles" you mean people that look like professional bodybuilders, I will absolutely agree. The chemicals they put in their bodies are damaging. My personal opinion is that pro bodybuilders don't even look good and don't look healthy.

Larger muscles are not even required for strength as they tend to be full of water (if you cheat) and lifting weights puts strain on your joints. I think you have to be very careful not to overdo it. - Anything taken to the extreme is bad. If you are lifting properly in a well established program and with good form, these risks are greatly minimized. Of course, accidents can happen with ANYTHING in life. Muscles with "water" aren't cheating, your muscles will get bigger as you lift, part of that size will be water. Now if you are talking about taking steroids and other chemicals to make your muscles bigger, that is cheating in many sport/activities. Also, there is a correlation between muscle size and strength. However, there are different lifting styles that train your muscles and nervous system differently, focusing more on either size or strength. There are some differences in hypertrophy training (lifting for size) and pure strength training.

"...attempting to lift weights that are too heavy can result in muscle injuries and other health problems. This is especially important if you are trying to lift weights in excess of half of your body weight, as life-threatening complications can occur."

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/consequences-lifting-heavily-2382.html

It seems information on the internet seems to gloss over alot of the dangers involved in the pastime. - That article basically says lifting TOO much weight is bad. Again, I agree that extremes are always bad and by definition, trying to lift a weight ("TOO much weight") that you haven't adequately trained and built your body to handle is bad. You have to put in the time to build up the muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, nervous system, etc. That takes time, A LOT of time, especially naturally (without drugs). A proper training program has this factored in.

Greek aesthetic culture: "Depictions of the nude male form were often explicitly or implicitly homoerotic."

https://classroom.synonym.com/ancient-greek-male-body-15164.html- I don't care what the Greeks thought or what some Prof thinks about the Greeks. There are plenty of men that can look at another man's physique and admire what he's done and how he looks without an ounce of sex being involved. It's a VERY different thought process and "feeling" than looking at a fine woman and getting horny. That's like saying you LOVE your Mom and your wife/GF, but I'm sure the thoughts and feelings you get by looking at each are very different, even if both are a type of "love".

McDonald's etc has very little nutritional content therefore it is mostly turned to waste but that may well be pure conjecture on my part.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-eating-a-big-mac-does-to-your-body-in-an-hour- McD's should be avoided. Their food is loaded with chemicals. Your body may or may not just eject some of those chemicals. But what you can't cheat are calories. There are 563 calories in a Big Mac, your body will take that into account.

There are plenty of scholarly articles, trials/experiments, and a general consensus in the medical community that resistance training is VERY healthy and has MANY benefits to the human body. I'm sure you can find millions on Google, but here are some:

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/strength_training/article_em.htm

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/resistance-training-health-benefits

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/strength-training/art-20046670

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jackamomo

Hey, we're all a little bit gay. It's ok homes.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 demi0227_basic

@jackamomo: I see where the problem is. You are googling information to back up your premeditated positions.

What you need to do is educate yourself on physiology first, and listen to people more informed than you. Then form an opinion. I don't have the time to put out all of the fires you are starting.

;) Also...go lift some weights after watching some youtube videos with people showing you how to do it properly (to avoid those injuries). You'll find that you feel better.

Lastly...I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. I find close, intimate personal relations (my wife and I talk a lot dirtier than I've mentioned anything on here) and comedy some of the best aspects of this short, trivial life. I wish you could share those joys, but different strokes for different folks, eh? I guess some people don't like laughing and jokes?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Jackamomo

@demi0227_basic: you mean you're poon. Mmkay bronio. I'm off to comb my My Little Ponies.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#90 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I think this has run its course.

-Byshop