Who here celebrates Chinese New Year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

Chinese new year is like the July 4th in Asia. People light fireworks, fire crackers, pig out on Chinese dishes, some do drugs such as Opium. Families get together and sing karaoke. Anyone here celebrate Chinese New Year and would get drunk for this holiday?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I celebrate every holiday possible.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

cant say that i ever have.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Not celebrating ..... But if you attend a chinese friends who do .... every unmarried visitors will recieve Red Envelope with cash in it .... the house guest insist you to accept it........ a plus if you have lot's of chinese friend... lol

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
First time I've heard they even have one.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'm Chinese so yes. I like the Ang Poa(free money), I also look to the reunion dinner.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight
First time I've heard they even have one.FMAB_GTO
You should come to Asia during it, I can be your tour guide.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

I would if I was Chinese.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Used to when I was little, that's when I lived in Asia. it was a great time, fireworks everywhere.. in States no one really pay attention or even but very few knew about the Chinese New Year.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No as I'm not Chinese.

Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
I did with some of my Chinese friends, and my town normally has a chinese parade or event. I don't get any red packets (Ang Poa) because i'm not chinese though.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

sexyweapons
You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. Or I'm not a tree, but still celebrate Arbor Day. We usually just give the hong bao to the kids not the adults or teens. We don't do fireworks other than the blackcats during the lion dance. Also we always clean the house and put oranges out. My favorite part is the banquet, particularly the dumplings, fish, and noodles.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

dagreenfish

You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

dagreenfish
You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. Or I'm not a tree, but still celebrate Arbor Day. We usually just give the hong bao to the kids not the adults or teens. We don't do fireworks other than the blackcats during the lion dance. Also we always clean the house and put oranges out. My favorite part is the banquet, particularly the dumplings, fish, and noodles.

over here anyone who isn't married gets the ang pau
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

Pirate700

You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

it's not common but you don't need to be chinese to celebrate it,
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dagreenfish

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

Pirate700

Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"] You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. dagreenfish

Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.

Well of course you don't HAVE to be Chinese. I'm just not sure why you would celebrate it outside of China. It's their holiday. It would be like another country celebrating the 4th of July. You don't have to be American to celebrate it but it wouldn't make much sense to if you weren't.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dagreenfish

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

Pirate700

Well of course you don't HAVE to be Chinese. I'm just not sure why you would celebrate it outside of China. It's their holiday. It would be like another country celebrating the 4th of July. You don't have to be American to celebrate it but it wouldn't make much sense to if you weren't.

:lol: there are people in china who celebrate thanksgiving just because it's fun. Here in denver we have an annual cherry blossom festival in sakura square and most of the attendees aren't Japanese. or the dragon boat festival at sloans lake where most people who go aren't chinese. Besides millions upon millions of non-Chinese celebrate the spring festival outside of china. But relax, nobody is going to make you.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I'm not Chinese, but I do sometimes. (i.e. I go for Chinese food and stuff myself silly)
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#20 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Went to my Chinese friend's house one year. Her mom made really good Chinese food, light years better than the stuff you get at Panda Express. But normally no. I'm not Chinese so I don't celebrate it.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

Went to my Chinese friend's house one year. Her mom made really good Chinese food, light years better than the stuff you get at Panda Express.

Lucky_Krystal

Faint praise. Panda Express is some of the worst Chinese food there is. :P

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

Pirate700

^4th of July analogy is a good one actually
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"] Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.chessmaster1989

^4th of July analogy is a good one actually

not really. Other Asian nations celebrate Chinese new year as well, they just call it a different name.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I wish I did.