Who here celebrates Chinese New Year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

Chinese new year is like the July 4th in Asia. People light fireworks, fire crackers, pig out on Chinese dishes, some do drugs such as Opium. Families get together and sing karaoke. Anyone here celebrate Chinese New Year and would get drunk for this holiday?

#2 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

I celebrate every holiday possible.

#3 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

cant say that i ever have.

#4 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

Not celebrating ..... But if you attend a chinese friends who do .... every unmarried visitors will recieve Red Envelope with cash in it .... the house guest insist you to accept it........ a plus if you have lot's of chinese friend... lol

#5 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
First time I've heard they even have one.
#6 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
I'm Chinese so yes. I like the Ang Poa(free money), I also look to the reunion dinner.
#7 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
First time I've heard they even have one.FMAB_GTO
You should come to Asia during it, I can be your tour guide.
#8 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

I would if I was Chinese.

#9 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -
Used to when I was little, that's when I lived in Asia. it was a great time, fireworks everywhere.. in States no one really pay attention or even but very few knew about the Chinese New Year.
#10 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

No as I'm not Chinese.

#11 Posted by Chicken453 (2038 posts) -
I did with some of my Chinese friends, and my town normally has a chinese parade or event. I don't get any red packets (Ang Poa) because i'm not chinese though.
#12 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

sexyweapons
You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. Or I'm not a tree, but still celebrate Arbor Day. We usually just give the hong bao to the kids not the adults or teens. We don't do fireworks other than the blackcats during the lion dance. Also we always clean the house and put oranges out. My favorite part is the banquet, particularly the dumplings, fish, and noodles.
#13 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

dagreenfish

You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

#14 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

dagreenfish
You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. Or I'm not a tree, but still celebrate Arbor Day. We usually just give the hong bao to the kids not the adults or teens. We don't do fireworks other than the blackcats during the lion dance. Also we always clean the house and put oranges out. My favorite part is the banquet, particularly the dumplings, fish, and noodles.

over here anyone who isn't married gets the ang pau
#15 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

Pirate700

You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

it's not common but you don't need to be chinese to celebrate it,
#16 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

Pirate700

Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.
#17 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"] You don't have to be. For example: I'm not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter. dagreenfish

Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.

Well of course you don't HAVE to be Chinese. I'm just not sure why you would celebrate it outside of China. It's their holiday. It would be like another country celebrating the 4th of July. You don't have to be American to celebrate it but it wouldn't make much sense to if you weren't.

#18 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

Pirate700

Well of course you don't HAVE to be Chinese. I'm just not sure why you would celebrate it outside of China. It's their holiday. It would be like another country celebrating the 4th of July. You don't have to be American to celebrate it but it wouldn't make much sense to if you weren't.

:lol: there are people in china who celebrate thanksgiving just because it's fun. Here in denver we have an annual cherry blossom festival in sakura square and most of the attendees aren't Japanese. or the dragon boat festival at sloans lake where most people who go aren't chinese. Besides millions upon millions of non-Chinese celebrate the spring festival outside of china. But relax, nobody is going to make you.
#19 Posted by megagene (23153 posts) -
I'm not Chinese, but I do sometimes. (i.e. I go for Chinese food and stuff myself silly)
#20 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

Went to my Chinese friend's house one year. Her mom made really good Chinese food, light years better than the stuff you get at Panda Express. But normally no. I'm not Chinese so I don't celebrate it.

#21 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Went to my Chinese friend's house one year. Her mom made really good Chinese food, light years better than the stuff you get at Panda Express.

Lucky_Krystal

Faint praise. Panda Express is some of the worst Chinese food there is. :P

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
#22 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Completely different. Those are holidays that have become cultural more than religious. Likewise with Chinese new years. Not being Chinese (actually from China), it's not common at all to celebrate it.

Pirate700

^4th of July analogy is a good one actually
#23 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"] Common or not, the point is you don't have to be part of an in-group to enjoy festivities. Besides, I was using that more as a vehicle for my bad Arbor Day joke.chessmaster1989

^4th of July analogy is a good one actually

not really. Other Asian nations celebrate Chinese new year as well, they just call it a different name.
#24 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

I wish I did.