Who do you remember on Memorial Day?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for airshocker
#1 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

I remember my grandfather: Robert G, Monroe, SGT, U.S. Army 10th Mountain Division. Met my grandmother while he was fighting in Italy. I'm thankful he passed away while I was old enough to remember him.

Which veteran is near and dear in your heart on this Memorial Day?

Keep in mind this thread is not for you to air your grievances against the US, it's military, or it's allies. Be respectful or don't bother posting.

Avatar image for indzman
#2 Edited by indzman (27377 posts) -

Like your grandfathers pic (R.I.P), are the male members in your family always in military or police ?

Avatar image for airshocker
#3 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@indzman said:

Like your grandfathers pic (R.I.P), are the male members in your family always in military or police ?

Most of us were with the exception of two of my uncles and my Dad.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#4 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

What do people do on Memorial Day? Commemorate WWII veterans?

Avatar image for ad1x2
#5 Posted by ad1x2 (6606 posts) -

My great uncle was in the Navy during the Vietnam War and my grandfather was in the Air Force just before Vietnam started. Both passed away when I was younger, with my grandfather passing away while I was still in diapers and my uncle passing away when I was ten.

More recently, I lost a buddy in Iraq in 2008 to an EFP IED less than a month before we were going to return to the US (the only death in our battalion after three rotations in Iraq) and his gunner lost his right hand in the same explosion.

I went into recruiting after that rotation and when the battalion went to Iraq again I later found out that a guy I went to an advanced leadership course with was killed by a sniper and one of my former soldiers died in a rollover.

Avatar image for airshocker
#6 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

What do people do on Memorial Day? Commemorate WWII veterans?

We remember and pay tribute to all veterans who have either passed away or died in the line of duty.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#7 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

Uhm, I guess I'll remember my grandfathers brother who was killed in the first battle of WWII fighting for the Polish army. Or something.

Avatar image for Wilfred_Owen
#8 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -

The only veteran I know is my father and he is still very much alive. In fact his 30 years retirement pay and gs job put my paycheck to shame. And my whole career at this point. Yeah.....he'd be considered the man.

Avatar image for branketra
#9 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

On my dad's side, my great granddad was in WWI and my granddad was in WWII. On my mother's side, my granddad was in the Kenyan military.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
#10 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (9364 posts) -

Both grandfathers served in the Navy during WW2, Pacific Theater. Have around 6 active duty family members right now as well.

Avatar image for thegerg
#11 Edited by thegerg (18279 posts) -

Mostly I remember a few friends of mine, I had a few beers today at a baseball game in their honor.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161941 posts) -

No one in particular really.....

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22272 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

What do people do on Memorial Day? Commemorate WWII veterans?

Remember dead veterans regardless of war. I think it has expanded to include other dead folks such as first responders.

Avatar image for airshocker
#15 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

I'll remember memorial day as the fault of not having Game of Thrones episode 8 this week.... dang...

Go troll somewhere else, please.

Avatar image for hallenbeck77
#16 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15267 posts) -

Fair warning for anyone who's even thinking about trolling in this thread--the TC had asked to be respectful. Anyone who posts trolling responses or decides to act like an a-hole in general will be moderated.

Avatar image for airshocker
#17 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: Thank you, sir.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#19 Posted by Serraph105 (31760 posts) -

Well both my grandfathers fought in WW2, but I don't do a lot of reflecting on Memorial Day just because it's a day set aside for just that.

Given Hallenback's post I feel obligated to say that I do think about them from time to time, but I feel like Memorial Day is sort of like Valentines Day only nobody is going to get upset with you if you don't use that day for it's intended purpose.

Never the less my father's father was a POW in Germany and my mom's dad was over in Germany however did not seem to have as vibrant a story.

Avatar image for 4myAmuzumament
#20 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

I just celebrate the holiday and pay my respects to those who served. Not much family history here in the states, though.

Avatar image for alim298
#21 Edited by alim298 (2747 posts) -

This thread is much better than that troll thread "america, the beautiful." That one actually made me forget what memorial day is about. Remembering the martyrs is a great virtue to me. To be thankful to those who served their country and their people. I'm not an american so I doubt I have a say in this matter but as someone who has high respect for martyrs I say may God bless their souls.

Avatar image for deeliman
#22 Edited by deeliman (3744 posts) -

There are not veterans in my family, so I just remember all veterans in general. I'm not American, but we have a memorial day in my country too, it was 3 weeks ago.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#23 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@deeliman: I wonder if people would be coerced into respectfullness in a thread about your memorial day. Or one about Yom HaZikaron for example.

Avatar image for airshocker
#24 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@deeliman: I wonder if people would be coerced into respectfullness in a thread about your memorial day. Or one about Yom HaZikaron for example.

No one is coerced into anything. You either post respectfully, or you don't post at all. You have those choices.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#25 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#26 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: @airshocker: I see thanks for the clarification.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#27 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Its not really coercion per say. The subject matter of this topic is a sensitive one that cannot afford trolling or callousness. So yes I would like to see the mods enforcing some rules in order to maintain civility and order in such a topic. However, what we might rightfully protest is for this care and veneration to be observed in all topics of the same nature. Like for example the two Happy Eid topics we have every year always become a cesspool of trolling and hatefulness and no one bats an eye. They usually end with the topic getting locked lol

Avatar image for airshocker
#28 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

No, it actually doesn't. I suggest you actually look up what the word coercion means.

Avatar image for thegerg
#29 Posted by thegerg (18279 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#30 Edited by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

As a Canadian, I tend to do a bulk of my remembering on Remembrance Day.

Only family I had in the military was my mother's father. He served during WWII in England (IIRC) as a Canadian on one of their battleships. He told me about it a couple years before he died. He was a wonderful man. My mom was never the same after losing him.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161941 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

You need a new dictionary then....

Avatar image for GazaAli
#32 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

As a Canadian, I tend to do a bulk of my remembering on Remembrance Day.

Only family I had in the military was my mother's father. He served during WWII in England (IIRC) as a Canadian on one of their battleships. He told me about it a couple years before he died. He was a wonderful man. My mom was never the same after losing him.

That part got to me

Avatar image for slateman_basic
#33 Posted by slateman_basic (4142 posts) -
Loading Video...

Avatar image for themajormayor
#34 Edited by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

You have a peculiar sense of humour.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#35 Edited by themajormayor (25536 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

You need a new dictionary then....

When did this supposed update of the definition take place?

Avatar image for thegerg
#36 Posted by thegerg (18279 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

You have a peculiar sense of humour.

Stop coercing me.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#37 Edited by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

You have a peculiar sense of humour.

Stop coercing me.

I am not coercing you. You do not know what coercion means.

Avatar image for thegerg
#38 Edited by thegerg (18279 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

You have a peculiar sense of humour.

Stop coercing me.

I am not coercing you. You do not know what coercion means.

It actually fits your definition of coercion very well.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#39 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -
@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Haha, no.

You have a peculiar sense of humour.

Stop coercing me.

I am not coercing you. You do not know what coercion means.

It actually fits your definition of coercion very well.

Haha, no.

Avatar image for jasean79
#40 Edited by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

All of those who served our great country. Personally: my dad, grandfather, uncle, brother.

Avatar image for playmynutz
#42 Posted by playmynutz (7876 posts) -

No hype; I love history and respect US active duties and veterans. Thanks for sharing.

Memorial Day reminds me of the pool tho

Avatar image for GazaAli
#43 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker: That fits very well into the definition of coercion.

Its not really coercion per say. The subject matter of this topic is a sensitive one that cannot afford trolling or callousness. So yes I would like to see the mods enforcing some rules in order to maintain civility and order in such a topic. However, what we might rightfully protest is for this care and veneration to be observed in all topics of the same nature. Like for example the two Happy Eid topics we have every year always become a cesspool of trolling and hatefulness and no one bats an eye. They usually end with the topic getting locked lol

It depends really.

Yeah I don't get why it's ok to say that you should nuke the middle east but you can't even be "disrespectful" in some thread about some crappy American holiday.

Yea it definitely isn't fair and not politically correct at all

Avatar image for Detroit222
#44 Edited by Detroit222 (5371 posts) -

My dad was a medic in the Pacific during WWII (Navy). My mother was a WAC in Washington DC. They've both passed on now (Mom, last year). Yesterday was her birthday. She would have been 93. Happy Birthday my dear Old Soldier! Give your sailor boy a hug for me.

Avatar image for airshocker
#45 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

It depends really.

Yeah I don't get why it's ok to say that you should nuke the middle east but you can't even be "disrespectful" in some thread about some crappy American holiday.

No one is talking about the Middle East in this thread. Except for you. Why even post if you can't even be respectful of our holidays?

Avatar image for themajormayor
#46 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@themajormayor said:

It depends really.

Yeah I don't get why it's ok to say that you should nuke the middle east but you can't even be "disrespectful" in some thread about some crappy American holiday.

No one is talking about the Middle East in this thread. Except for you. Why even post if you can't even be respectful of our holidays?

If you read my first post in this thread it should become clear why I post.

Avatar image for airshocker
#47 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -
@themajormayor said:

If you read my first post in this thread it should become clear why I post.

Your first post was fine. The rest haven't been. Posting one nice thing doesn't absolve you from asking why you should respect a thread about a "crappy american holiday". You don't have to like the holiday. But you should respect the thread and stop posting in it if your sole purpose is to offend.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#48 Edited by themajormayor (25536 posts) -
@airshocker said:
@themajormayor said:

If you read my first post in this thread it should become clear why I post.

Your first post was fine. The rest haven't been. Posting one nice thing doesn't absolve you from asking why you should respect a thread about a "crappy american holiday". You don't have to like the holiday. But you should respect the thread and stop posting in it if your sole purpose is to offend.

I meant the second post.

I agree that I went to far. I don't have anything against the thread or the holiday. Hence my first post. Obviously my issue is with moderators' way of dealing with stuff like this. I think it is disconcerting in itself. That doesn't justify me acting disrespectfully, but seeing moderators enforcing respectfullnes with regards to an American holiday while at the same time tolerating vastly more disrespectful stuff than I displayed here against other countries, cultures and what not evokes the emotional side in me.