Which have better stories?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts

Video games or movies?

Because I cannot honestly remember the last time I watched a movie for the story.

Video games however I can remember the last one I played for story. And that would be Alan wake.

randomhero5677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 randomhero5677
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts

Lately? I'll have to go with games. Sorry, but movies just have no story anymore it seems. More bucks, more bangs is how it is. I like background and charater developement, not jsut explosions and mindless violence (I'm talking to you, Michael Bay).

dewman322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dewman322
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts
I personally think a great book is a better story, so I chose other. Out of video games and movies i would say video games. Speaking of alan wake, awesome game I never finished it because I had to return it to the video store, Im going to buy the game again and play it till the end this time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Movies for me

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
I personally think a great book is a better story, so I chose other.dewman322
Me too. Good movies with decent story lines are really hard to come by these days though. You look at a film like '12 Angry Men' and you can see how you don't need more than good actors and a room to make an awesome film. Film makers don't seem to get that these days though, they've either got to be explosive, or grossly shocking.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Movies by far
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Movies. It will be a while before a video game reaches a movie level. And even longer before they reach books.

So essentially, Books>>>>Movies>>>Video Games.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Videogame stories for the most part are terrible. Books, movies have an easy victory here.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178887 Posts
It would depend though overall movies. Games have some catching up to do....
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Always movies, games=gameplay movie=story

dewman322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dewman322
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts
[QUOTE="dewman322"]I personally think a great book is a better story, so I chose other.MissLibrarian
Me too. Good movies with decent story lines are really hard to come by these days though. You look at a film like '12 Angry Men' and you can see how you don't need more than good actors and a room to make an awesome film. Film makers don't seem to get that these days though, they've either got to be explosive, or grossly shocking.

You know I think I changed my mind after I thought about it for a bit and seeing other responses to this. I still say books are the best. Second best would be movies. Third would be video games. I think I just got caught up in what he/she said about alan wake. I had a lot of fun playing that game. It actually had a great story in my opinion. It was also about an author whose characters in his books started coming to life similar to stephen kings the dark half. I also liked lost odyssey, a japanese author wrote certain dream sequences from that game which were extremely well done. Some people complained about that though and said if I wanted to read a book I would have bought one. But those kind of games are few and far between.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

People voted for video games? Movies these days don't have stories and are all explosions?

Is it opposite day?

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="dewman322"]I personally think a great book is a better story, so I chose other.MissLibrarian

A little digging shows why that movie title is familair; I saw a 2007 Russian remake of it. =P

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Movies.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
Movies.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
You know I think I changed my mind after I thought about it for a bit and seeing other responses to this. I still say books are the best. Second best would be movies. Third would be video games. I think I just got caught up in what he/she said about alan wake. I had a lot of fun playing that game. It actually had a great story in my opinion. It was also about an author whose characters in his books started coming to life similar to stephen kings the dark half. I also liked lost odyssey, a japanese author wrote certain dream sequences from that game which were extremely well done. Some people complained about that though and said if I wanted to read a book I would have bought one. But those kind of games are few and far between. dewman322
I would never say that games are better than films, I just agree that books are better than either. Even games that have an interesting 'story' (the ones that stick out for me in particular are the Uncharted games and Hotel Dusk on the DS) are painfully lacking in terms of language and literary devices - meaning they are still very poorly written. My order would still be Books > Films > Games. But since it's been discussed I do think quality story lines in films are harder to come by these days.
A little digging shows why that movie title is familair; I saw a 2007 Russian remake of it. =PDigitalExile
That's another bugbear I have with films now-a-days - too many remakes. They even remake films that are only 2/3 years old now! As if all the stories in the world that can ever be have all been written and the only think left to do is re-make them all the time.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Games The first final fantasy games had great stories but there are some movies that can have good stories too, yet they are less common.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#18 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Movies.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Books.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

That's another bugbear I have with films now-a-days - too many remakes. They even remake films that are only 2/3 years old now! As if all the stories in the world that can ever be have all been written and the only think left to do is re-make them all the time. MissLibrarian
Well in my defense I only stumbled across the Russian version because it was on TV, though I've never seen the original. Things like Battlestar that get reimagined I'm sort of okay with, and remaking it in another language/country, okay... but just remaking something for the sake of it... bleh.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
games for me.
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
Movies, there isn't any new games that have a decent story nowadays..
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Movies, although I was playing KOTOR II tonight and that has a fantastic story, better than a lot of movies I've seen out there.
AceofTrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AceofTrades
Member since 2011 • 624 Posts

Films.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points