Which companies do you want to see go out of bidness?

• 57 results
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R  Online
Member since 2003 • 3105 Posts

There are so many I want to see go bankrupt. Mostly due to them being harmful to society or just plain annoying me. I'll try to limit myself:

• Bank of America
  • Wells Fargo
  • EA
  • Activision
  • Ubisoft
  • Capcom
  • WB Interactive Entertainment
  • Apple
  • Exxon Mobil
  • Disney
  • BMW
  • Tesla
  • Comcast
  • The NFL
Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts
@GalvatronType_R said:

I'll try to limit myself:

It sounds like the problem is capitalism itself?

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Why would any American want an American company to go out of business? Not only would all their employees be laid off, but their competitors would all jack up their prices.

This thread was created by 10 year old.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@Baconstrip78 said:

@GalvatronType_R: Why would any American want an American company to go out of business? Not only would all their employees be laid off, but their competitors would all jack up their prices.

Play nice, please. No need for personal comments.

No real explanation for why the Op wants these companies to fail. That information would provide some discussion content.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Rio Tinto
BP
Comcast
Nike

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GalvatronType_R  Online
Member since 2003 • 3105 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

Actually, I'm 3. Also, I'm not an American. I couldn't care less about people losing jobs if evil companies go away. That's like worrying about the stormtroopers if the Empire shuts down.

As for raised prices, so what? People pay more for stuff, that's how inflation and the economy works.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Weird topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I honestly think it's only a matter of time until retail has some major changes, and becomes a more bearable shopping experience. I think Amazon is really ushering in the future of retail now.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:
@Baconstrip78 said:

Actually, I'm 3. Also, I'm not an American. I couldn't care less about people losing jobs if evil companies go away. That's like worrying about the stormtroopers if the Empire shuts down.

As for raised prices, so what? People pay more for stuff, that's how inflation and the economy works.

It's really worth you mentioning exactly WHY you think these companies should go out of business. Maybe a little bit of brief explanation for each one that you mentioned? Especially when it comes to wanting freaking entertainment companies to go out of business simply because they're "annoying". Stuff like EA and Disney. I mean, talk all you want about how their movies and games suck, but people apparently like them. If you simply find them "annoying", then why the heck would you want thousands of people to lose their jobs when you could simply eliminate an annoyance by simply staying away from those companies' things?

Anyway, yeah...this is a pretty crappy topic unless people are actually going to elaborate on why certain companies should go out of business.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

NRA

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

cant find "bidness" in the dictionary..sorry.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I was told just a few weeks by several people that 'nobody wants to see any company go under' and that I was a vial disgusting amoral person for suggesting that there are some cases in which its a good thing

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Coca-cola. I actually felt kind of disgusted when I typed it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@tryit: In the USA people are taught to give a company a lot of leeway and respect. If a company wants to do something, it's a yes first think later. That's a cultural thing. A kind of collective optimism that I lack, and that allows Americans to do great things quickly.

So I think if you say that corporations should go under on a forum like this I would expect the average person to not be very happy with you. They're probably not very happy with me right now. It's interesting, because it's an idea. And for some reason we attack people for having ideas instead of attacking the ideas. And tomorrow I change my mind. I guess that makes me a new person tomorrow. It happens all the time. I am very grumpy today, so right now I have a hard time 'caring' even though I really know I should.

The idea that a corporation provides (a small portion of the) money for a lot of people is not impressive to me, so it's easy for me to not think about the amount of people that would get in trouble if a large corporation would fall. But of course that's there. It's a real thing that would suck for a lot of people. The other side of the story is that I don't think we can let corporations get away with bad things just because they have all these well-meaning employees they can keep 'hostage'. Where do we draw the line, right? I believe we need to think about that, and not just default to "We cannot let this company fail because too many people are involved."

I do believe that continuously apologizing for corporate encroachment has led to corporations in the USA (and many more places in the world) to become so powerful that they are influencing elections and decisions, leveraging their positions in ways that are not fair for the common people. And I am frustrated about that. I don't know any other way to do anything about that than to bring down the whole corporation. Or at least make the situation so scary for them that they have to change course a little, because they are legally or financially risking too much by not changing course.

I'm a bit of a pessimist maybe when it comes to corruption in any system, but I don't believe that the law is still in the hands of the people. And I am concerned that even the online conversation may not be in the hands of the people 20 years from now if things continue to divide into the kind of executive/capitalist/inherited-elite vs. common people type situation. At some point you have to wonder (in more countries than the USA) "If we vote for this group instead of that group, does it matter if both groups are listening to the same small group of people who hold all the dollars?" I think we need to steer away hard from that situation. And today I tried to do that by writing a bad post. Oh well, some days are like that.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt

@KungfuKitten said:

@tryit: In the USA people are taught to give a company a lot of leeway and respect. If a company wants to do something, it's a yes first think later. That's a cultural thing. A kind of collective optimism that I lack, and that allows Americans to do great things quickly.

So I think if you say that corporations should disappear on a forum like this I would expect the average person to not be very happy with you. They're probably not very happy with me right now. It's interesting, because it's an idea. And for some reason we attack people for having ideas instead of attacking the ideas. And tomorrow I change my mind. It happens all the time. I am very grumpy today so that probably makes me 'not care' as much as I should.

The idea that a corporation provides (a small portion of the) money for a lot of people is not impressive to me, so it's easy for me to not think about the amount of people that would get in trouble if a large corporation would fall. But of course that's there. It's a real thing that would suck for a lot of people. The other side of the story is that I don't think we can let corporations get away with bad things just because they have all these well-meaning employees they can keep 'hostage'. Where do we draw the line, right? And I'm very grumpy today, and I want people to wake up a little to all the bullshit going on because of corporate structures, that I overreach.

So basically Enron should not have gone bankrupt is what you are saying.

Sure they commited crimes and mislead investors but its a sad thing to see them go under, we should give them a break for screwing over so many people.

Sorry but I do not subscribe to that group

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer

@KungfuKitten said:

So I think if you say that corporations should disappear on a forum like this I would expect the average person to not be very happy with you. They're probably not very happy with me right now. It's interesting, because it's an idea. And for some reason we attack people for having ideas instead of attacking the ideas. And tomorrow I change my mind. I guess that makes me a new person tomorrow. It happens all the time. I am very grumpy today, so right now I have a hard time 'caring' even though I really know I should.

The idea that a corporation provides (a small portion of the) money for a lot of people is not impressive to me, so it's easy for me to not think about the amount of people that would get in trouble if a large corporation would fall. But of course that's there. It's a real thing that would suck for a lot of people. The other side of the story is that I don't think we can let corporations get away with bad things just because they have all these well-meaning employees they can keep 'hostage'. Where do we draw the line, right? I believe we need to think about that, and not just default to "We cannot let this company fail because too many people are involved."

I do believe that continuously apologizing for corporate encroachment has led to corporations in the USA (and many more places in the world) to become so powerful that they are influencing elections and decisions, leveraging their positions in ways that are not fair for the common people. And I am frustrated about that. I don't know any other way to do anything about that than to bring down the whole corporation. Or at least make the situation so scary for them that they have to kneel down and change a little.

For context, we're talking about something like, "I don't like this company's games, so hundreds of people should lose their jobs."

In situations in which companies are actually hurting people, then yeah...they ought to go out of business.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt

@MrGeezer said:
@KungfuKitten said:

So I think if you say that corporations should disappear on a forum like this I would expect the average person to not be very happy with you. They're probably not very happy with me right now. It's interesting, because it's an idea. And for some reason we attack people for having ideas instead of attacking the ideas. And tomorrow I change my mind. I guess that makes me a new person tomorrow. It happens all the time. I am very grumpy today, so right now I have a hard time 'caring' even though I really know I should.

I do believe that continuously apologizing for corporate encroachment has led to corporations in the USA (and many more places in the world) to become so powerful that they are influencing elections and decisions, leveraging their positions in ways that are not fair for the common people. And I am frustrated about that. I don't know any other way to do anything about that than to bring down the whole corporation. Or at least make the situation so scary for them that they have to kneel down and change a little.

For context, we're talking about something like, "I don't like this company's games, so hundreds of people should lose their jobs."

In situations in which companies are actually hurting people, then yeah...they ought to go out of business.

and that was my point weeks ago and is my point now.

its not safe to just make an assertion that 'its always sad when a company goes under' and of course I explained why it is several times last week to deaf ears..

anyway...moving on just an observation

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@MrGeezer: @tryit: Right. <3

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Nvidia needs to go out of business. Make AMD Great Again XD

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer

@tryit: Yeah, but people here are listing stuff like video game companies and movie companies. I'm still interested in seeing someone try to justify why those kinds of companies should go out of business when people clearly like their products and anyone who dislikes their products is perfectly free to just not buy them.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TryIt

@MrGeezer said:

@tryit: Yeah, but people here are listing stuff like video game companies and movie companies. I'm still interested in seeing someone try to justify why those kinds of companies should go out of business when people clearly like their products and anyone who dislikes their products is perfectly free to just not buy them.

well people being non-specific and thus highly misleading aside

I think if a video game company does illegal actions or highly misleading consumers then they do should be evaluated as possible it being a good thing to go under

the meme of companies going under is a bad thing for ANY industry is silly.

even non-profits sometimes break the law, so nobody should get off as an exclusive rule like that its silly.

Ironic how people would likely never say the same thing about individuals. They understand that a persons actions will depend what is just for them, but not for companies?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer

@tryit: Sure, and that's what I'm asking them to explain. If these companies in question are doing the kinds of things that warrant them going out of business, then I'm asking someone to tell me about it.

I mean, if people were saying that YOU should lose your job, it's kind of on them to explain why, right?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TryIt

@MrGeezer said:

@tryit: Sure, and that's what I'm asking them to explain. If these companies in question are doing the kinds of things that warrant them going out of business, then I'm asking someone to tell me about it.

I mean, if people were saying that YOU should lose your job, it's kind of on them to explain why, right?

not sure I am following you

are you saying that a company like Enron should stay in business despite them committing crimes because if they go under it would take MY job away if I work there?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer

@tryit said:

are you saying that a company like Enron should stay in business despite them committing crimes because if they go under it would take MY job away if I work there?

Uh, no. I'm pretty sure I was obvious about my point. At no point did I say that companies like Enron shouldn't go out of business. I'm asking why companies like EA and Activision SHOULD go out of business.

Are they committing crimes against investors or something equally insidious? Or do people just not like their games? A little bit of explanation is in order.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

WWE

TNA/Impact

Nintendo

Valve

ID Software

Blizzard

Rare

Pepsi

Pizza Hut

Loblaws

Whoever makes those disgusting Halloween candy. Why those things exist is beyond me.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt

@MrGeezer said:
@tryit said:

Uh, no. I'm pretty sure I was obvious about my point. At no point did I say that companies like Enron shouldn't go out of business. I'm asking why companies like EA and Activision SHOULD go out of business.

Are they committing crimes against investors or something equally insidious? Or do people just not like their games? A little bit of explanation is in order.

fair enough, the analogy to a person is what thru me off.

I dont have an answer to your core question though. I dont follow that stuff closely enough

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Panera, because they treat their employees like absolute shit.

Oh, and Comcast. Pretty much every major cable provider.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Looks like Sears is done.....

always thought Sears and Kmart would be around, at least I thought so before the rise of Amazon.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@theone86:

Panera is one of my fav places to eat......hate to see that place go down. Sad to hear they treat employees bad. Is that your store, or is it company-wide?

I like Verizon Fios.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

Panera is one of my fav places to eat......hate to see that place go down. Sad to hear they treat employees bad. Is that your store, or is it company-wide?

I like Verizon Fios.

I've only worked one shift at a different store and I was out delivering most of that one, so it could just be my store, but I went online and found plenty of people saying the exact same things as me. I do work at a company store, though, and I've heard franchise stores tend to be better. It might be changing, too. I know the old manager at my store was basically forced into retirement, and another who is extremely, let's call it old-school, is worried he's going to be next. The biggest problem, though, is that they don't want to raise wages, so they can't fill vacancies, so they just demand their current employees work more, often without getting paid. I really don't see that changing anytime soon, unless another recession hits and you all of the sudden have a lot of people looking for jobs.

I like choice. As it currently stands, cable companies have an effective monopoly on broadband internet and they lobby the government constantly to keep it that way. They also push legislation that keeps potential competitors from being able to build their own networks. And they divy up their monopoly by region, so even if you like your service it's likely that people in other parts of the country don't have access to that same provider. It's not any individual cable provider I hate (although my experience with Comcast has been less than ideal), it's what they do collectively.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Amazon

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

I don't care which stores go out of business, because when I buy something, it's usually online.

Sears is going out of business, because some aspect of the store is inferior. Long gone are the days of everyone having to buy things in person and wait in lines. People buy things online now. Amazon literally has a one-click button to buy a product.

That's progress. No one in their right mind wants to drive miles to stores, wait in line, and then drive back home. Not if they can quickly buy that same thing online.

If stores aren't as good as Amazon, that's simply too bad. But don't expect people to keep shopping at Sears, when they can get a superior experience on Amazon. Amazon is a better way to shop. No lines, no drive to the store, etc. Amazon even wants drones to quickly drop packages off at your doorstep someday. That's progress. If Sears isn't as good as this, why should people continue to shop there?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

One on your list, but i'm sure it wont' as they run America. Dam Wagons ! lol ..

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrGeezer

@qx0d said:

I don't care which stores go out of business, because when I buy something, it's usually online.

Sears is going out of business, because some aspect of the store is inferior. Long gone are the days of everyone having to buy things in person and wait in lines. People buy things online now. Amazon literally has a one-click button to buy a product.

That's progress. No one in their right mind wants to drive miles to stores, wait in line, and then drive back home. Not if they can quickly buy that same thing online.

If stores aren't as good as Amazon, that's simply too bad. But don't expect people to keep shopping at Sears, when they can get a superior experience on Amazon. Amazon is a better way to shop. No lines, no drive to the store, etc. Amazon even wants drones to quickly drop packages off at your doorstep someday. That's progress. If Sears isn't as good as this, why should people continue to shop there?

The thing is, no one here listed Sears as a company that they want to go out of business, because Sears is already going out of business. People are listing successful businesses.

So your argument goes both ways. If unsuccessful companies shouldn't stay in business, then why want successful companies to go out of business? Like you said, "progress".

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

This is a pretty disturbing thread in my opinion. Unless a company is truly causing vivid harm, why would you want thousands to become unemployed?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TryIt

@blackballs said:

This is a pretty disturbing thread in my opinion. Unless a company is truly causing vivid harm, why would you want thousands to become unemployed?

yeah i would rather see smarter consumers to your parameters

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

There are so many I want to see go bankrupt. Mostly due to them being harmful to society or just plain annoying me. I'll try to limit myself:

• Bank of America
  • Wells Fargo
  • EA
  • Activision
  • Ubisoft
  • Capcom
  • WB Interactive Entertainment
  • Apple
  • Exxon Mobil
  • Disney
  • BMW
  • Tesla
  • Comcast
  • The NFL

Is that just really bad spelling or some type of slang??

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

None. People’s jobs and livelihoods are at stake and it’d be stupid to try and impede that.

Fail thread.

Theman2131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theman2131
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

Wow, there's a lot of heat radiating from this thread.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@theman2131 said:

Moron's too. Anyone that wants to see a business fail in their own country is seriously ignorant and should go back to school.

Theman2131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theman2131
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

@pimphand_gamer: I agree that nobody should want to see our businesses fail. However, schools these days teach that capitalism is a failed system.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Apple, for sure. They make a decent enough product, but their "proprietary" bullshit is really terrible. Why can't they use a regular port for charging their phones? Why does everything have to be tailor-made for them and cost more? Why do their computers with inferior hardware cost more than others? How do they foster such fanaticism, and to what end?

@theman2131 said:

That's just my genitals, don't worry.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't want to see any business go out of business. I'd rather just the businesses be run better and employees paid more or given better benefits. The days of multimillion/billion dollar CEOs should come to an end. I'm not talking communism... just more fairness.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I want lots and lots and lots of companies to go out of business. Indeed, I believe I want all current companies to eventually go out of business and I would be quite surprised if they don't. The number of companies that have survived over 100 yrs is quite small. Over 150 yrs is smaller still.

Capitalism creates and it destroys. Destruction is a matter of innovation. Someone with something better comes along. This is how we advance. Should Blackberry still be dominant with their funky physical keys? Did you cry when they imploded? How about Nokia?

I'm sure some of you long for typewriters and buggy whips, but I do not.

The point I am making is that no company deserves to stay in business just because it currently exists. It should stay in business because it provides a societal value and something better hasn't come along to replace it...yet. Even at the very end, some people somewhere cried for the last typewriter employees....is any one still crying?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer

@SUD123456 said:

I want lots and lots and lots of companies to go out of business. Indeed, I believe I want all current companies to eventually go out of business and I would be quite surprised if they don't. The number of companies that have survived over 100 yrs is quite small. Over 150 yrs is smaller still.

Capitalism creates and it destroys. Destruction is a matter of innovation. Someone with something better comes along. This is how we advance. Should Blackberry still be dominant with their funky physical keys? Did you cry when they imploded? How about Nokia?

I'm sure some of you long for typewriters and buggy whips, but I do not.

The point I am making is that no company deserves to stay in business just because it currently exists. It should stay in business because it provides a societal value and something better hasn't come along to replace it...yet. Even at the very end, some people somewhere cried for the last typewriter employees....is any one still crying?

Again, that is really only valid if something better has come along. The typewriter didn't suddenly die off for no reason and then the personal computer had to step in to fill that gap. Rather the typewrite died because something better had ALREADY come along and the typewriter simply couldn't compete.

That's sort of my point. The companies that the people are listing here are mostly all companies that are still doing well. Because something better hasn't come along yet, which means that those companies are providing a societal value. If anything, the kinds of companies listed here should be the OPPOSITE of what people are listing. Instead of these lists being dominated by companies that are doing well, they should be dominated by companies that are failing. Because those are the kinds of companies that "should" go out of business, because they're failing to be relevant and successful. Stuff like Disney? Disney's products are insanely popular. Why "should" Disney go out of business when they're still hugely relevant and doing very well for themselves?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Hallmark

Books for Dummies

Apple

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

If they are unethical or immoral in their actions. Though pretty much all businesses are corrupt to some extent or another, so there’s the entire business world right there.

I certainly wouldn’t mind some companies being punished harshly, but that’s mostly from my wish to see them improve rather than see them gone.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

generically i'd say any that actively work to make the internet a shittier place. that is to say any that works diligently day and night to find more ways to throw advertisements in my face.

**** those guys