Which city is best in US ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Whats your favourite city in US and why OT ?

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Portland sounds like a nice place to live in.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Obviously Detroit

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Austin, TX

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

To live in? No idea. To visit? Definitely New York, from my experience. New York has something for everyone unless you're some anti-social weirdo.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

I have a couple different answers. Kansas City, San Antonio, or Indianapolis. All of them are fairly large, but have a more personal feel than what you would expect in a big city.

@Aljosa23 said:

To live in? No idea. To visit? Definitely New York, from my experience. New York has something for everyone unless you're some anti-social weirdo.

Why, because it's simply the biggest? New York actually screams anti-social more than any other city I have been in.

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

New Orleans. Dallas is good too.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@indzman said:

Whats your favourite city in US and why OT ?

What's yours?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Tucson Arizona. Why? I dunno. It's a city with a small town feel. It probably has the fewest skyscrapers of any big city I've been to. I'm not a big fan of living in a city. But, I can tolerate Tucson.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Moved to NH recently and love it, I've got downtown Manchester which has plenty to do, and then the beach is 30min away where I can walk the boardwalk and, catch a show (weird al was here not long ago), or go to the old town for the british style pubs

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

I've never been to US but I guess anywhere near Mississippi river would be amazing.

Also, if Jackson is truly what it seemed to be in Last of Us (I mean the jungle, the nature and all that) then Jackson is amazing too.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

If I moved to America I would choose Florida or New York.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

I have a couple different answers. Kansas City, San Antonio, or Indianapolis. All of them are fairly large, but have a more personal feel than what you would expect in a big city.

@Aljosa23 said:

Why, because it's simply the biggest? New York actually screams anti-social more than any other city I have been in.

I live in Indy (well, Carmel), and it's a pretty great city. We get a lot of big sports events and the city is clean and safe for a city its size. Getting around town is easy and we're within 5 hours of of a lot of other major cities.

@sukraj: Most of Florida is a pit. Florida isn't called "The South's Trash can" for nothing.

My vote would go to a progressive, cosmopolitan city like San Francisco or Seattle. Seattle would get my vote because it's close to the mountains (I'm an addicted alpine skier).

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bforrester420

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Tucson Arizona. Why? I dunno. It's a city with a small town feel. It probably has the fewest skyscrapers of any big city I've been to. I'm not a big fan of living in a city. But, I can tolerate Tucson.

Yuck...my brother went to grad school in Tucson and still lives there. He hates it. I visited once and wouldn't want to live there either.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Yuck...my brother went to grad school in Tucson and still lives there. He hates it. I visited once and wouldn't want to live there either.

My family loves it there. The happier they are, the less they get on my nerves.

Does your brother own a house there or does he rent?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bforrester420

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

He's done both. He rented and now owns a house.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

San Diego is the nicest one I've been to by far

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

every single city in the state of Florida

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Denver or Boulder maybe.

Seems like clean cities with friendly people, things to do.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Usually, it's those who live in the apartments who aren't very fond of Tucson. Tucson tend to be the more "liberal" corner of Arizona. I'm not sure if politics is why your brother hate it. Did your brother say why? How about you? What is your reason for not not liking to live in Tucson?

I already mentioned my family loves Tucson. Personally, I love Carson City, NV. It's right by Lake Tahoe (my old stomping grounds) and historic Virginia City. I also like to occasionally dig for (dinosaur) fossils. There are limestone areas around Carson City that rich in marine fossils.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I live in Miami, Florida and it's honestly a nice place. It's a very suburban and less off a metropolis(the only metropolis-like area is Downtown Miami which is by the coast). It's comfortable and peaceful and very modern too. Very well kept for the most part. Orlando is also really nice. The ugly parts are Northern Florida where it's very empty and sullen.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bforrester420

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@bforrester420 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Usually, it's those who live in the apartments who aren't very fond of Tucson. Tucson tend to be the more "liberal" corner of Arizona. I'm not sure if politics is why your brother hate it. Did your brother say why? How about you? What is your reason for not not liking to live in Tucson?

I already mentioned my family loves Tucson. Personally, I love Carson City, NV. It's right by Lake Tahoe (my old stomping grounds) and historic Virginia City. I also like to occasionally dig for (dinosaur) fossils. There are limestone areas around Carson City that rich in marine fossils.

I just found the city to be kind of bleak. I'm from the mid west where there's a lot of grass and trees...the color green. Tucson was just too arid. Everyone's yard was stone/sand...everything was too brown for my taste. My brother's biggest gripe is how slowly every drives there. He's constantly complaining about how bad the drivers are.

I'm a big fan of the Tahoe area. I've skied Heavenly, Squaw, and Kirkwood a couple of times each.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@bforrester420 said:

I just found the city to be kind of bleak. I'm from the mid west where there's a lot of grass and trees...the color green. Tucson was just too arid. Everyone's yard was stone/sand...everything was too brown for my taste. My brother's biggest gripe is how slowly every drives there. He's constantly complaining about how bad the drivers are.

I'm a big fan of the Tahoe area. I've skied Heavenly, Squaw, and Kirkwood a couple of times each.

Makes sense. In my case, I need to have mountains around me. You could probably guess I wasn't fond of the four years I spent in Oklahoma. Lots of vegetation. But, the area is relatively flat.

Actually, Tucson have plenty of vegetation. They're just not the kind you like.

Ha Ha. I have to laugh because my wife is kind of dirty minded about the cactus:

As for the drivers....... We visited Tucson last year to check on our house there. The drivers there were pretty civilized especially around the areas which have cameras.

Most people do the speed limit because of the cameras. The slow ones are the snowbirds from out of state. Tucson is also a college town. College kids and snowbirds are a bad combination.

Nothing you could do about the snowbirds. After all, they bring in the moolah.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Don't know. Lived in various cities....but I like home best because it's home. Would love to live near the ocean though.....

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Moved to NH recently and love it, I've got downtown Manchester which has plenty to do, and then the beach is 30min away where I can walk the boardwalk and, catch a show (weird al was here not long ago), or go to the old town for the british style pubs

MANCHVEGAS WOOOOOO!

EDIT: coolio was at the shaskeen a while back.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts

My town, any big city just increases the probability of running into an asshole.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

Seattle would get my vote ...

Just trying to drive (much less park) in Shattle would change your mind about that. :-P

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bforrester420

@Stesilaus said:

@bforrester420 said:

Just trying to drive (much less park) in Shattle would change your mind about that. :-P

I've never been, so I probably have an idealized vision of the city that doesn't exist. I would love to be that close to the Cascades though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto

@bforrester420 said:

@Stesilaus said:

@bforrester420 said:

I've never been, so I probably have an idealized vision of the city that doesn't exist. I would love to be that close to the Cascades though.

Seattle used to be great back when most people didn't really know much about it. It wasn't crowded yet. Once it got crowded, forget it. It's just like Las Vegas NV. I used to love to visit Las Vegas back in the 70's when it was still fairly small. Then, everybody decided to move there. Now? Bleh.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Pyongyang

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

Brainerd, MN

... for it's name alone.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Seattle, mild weather year round, not too over-populated, cheaper to live in than where I am now, lots of bookstores (so-Cal is void of bookstores, probably because of its 74% literacy rate), better parks, not everything is like endless roads of strip malls and gated communities, they have legal recreational weed, a great public transit system, they're a (somewhat) short drive to Canada, the traffic isn't nearly as hectic as where I'm at now, and they have good and plentiful and cheap teriyaki which I had no idea didn't exist outside Seattle, it has better internet and cable services than so-Cal.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Seattle, mild weather year round, not too over-populated, cheaper to live in than where I am now, lots of bookstores (so-Cal is void of bookstores, probably because of its 74% literacy rate), better parks, not everything is like endless roads of strip malls and gated communities, they have legal recreational weed, a great public transit system, they're a (somewhat) short drive to Canada, the traffic isn't nearly as hectic as where I'm at now, and they have good and plentiful and cheap teriyaki which I had no idea didn't exist outside Seattle, it has better internet and cable services than so-Cal.

While I don't normally like being in cities, I have to agree with this. Seattle is terrific. My wife and I will most likely end up living just outside of it in 2 years.

She spent 5 years living there in whilst in college and I have always had a blast going there ever since I was a kid.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Flint, Michigan.