Which better, Supernatural or X-Files?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Now that supernatural is in its 10th season, does it pass X-Files (9 seasons)? If anyone watches they'd know this season is even better than last which was a return to form and the mid season break ended on a big cliffhanger. But with the return of X-Files now just days away, which horror/drama/thriller holds the crown? I still think x files but it's very close.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think it's currently airing season 11. But I just finished up season 10. I can't remember much about X-Files, but I know it lost a lot of strength towards the end. Supernatural was losing strength since season 6, but I still find the majority of it more entertaining than the X-Files.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I still prefer X files for its element of mystery, something that I never felt was very strong with supernatural. Plus x files feel more serious and darker than supernatural which a bit wacky at times with its angels and demons lores.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I can honestly say X-files was an excellent show at its best, seasons 2 - 6 were amazing, though each had a few clunkers.

Season 1 is decent also, but the acting is pretty wooden and it shows its age.

If anyone wants a quick initiation of X-files before season 10 begins, seek out the first X-files movie, and chase it down with the entire 6th season (which continues from end of movie), which basically has it all. There were some far-fetched episodes, but it was a fun ride. If you like that, you are good to go for the other seasons.

Also, Breaking Bad fans can appreciate Vince Gilligan's contribution to season 6 as executive producer and often writer/director. Episode 2 of Season 6 is where Gilligan and Cranston first worked together.

Never seen Supernatural so I can't compare.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Ok, i used to watch the X-files so long ago. Honestly the show never showed much, and it was pretty boring. When the X-files movie came out, that was finally and ending we all wanted to see. A Flying Saucer, wow. Then it was over. It was different times. I can't see this show making a come back ? I mean do we really want to be teased again, episode after episode ? I watched the overview of the new tv series remake, and it seemed interesting, but not if every episode is going to be talk about aliens again, and no show. I'll pass ..

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

holy shit. supernatural is still running? i think i stopped watching after the 9th season

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

X-Files is much a better show

Supernatural is in the level of Buffy the vampire slayer

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Never watched Supernatural but I loved The X-Files and am very pumped for the new episodes.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

5 words.

Carry on my wayward son!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Early season xfiles mystery and horror elements are better than most movies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

only seen X-Files myself, I'd gladly watch anything that compares to it; looking forward to premiere of the upcoming X-Files mini-series, I wish they'd just start a new show with new cast for a longer running series

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

X-Files, you can't beat Mulder and Scully when it comes to investigating the paranormal.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

X-files, and thanks for reminding me to get my dvd collection from a friend a gave 4 years ago.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint: you know what's sad, I get goosebumps hearing that song still from how excellent they use it. I think supernatural season 5 is the best season of any tv show for me personally.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

The X-Files, and I would argue that it's not even close. I started rewatching a short while ago, and I'd forgotten how good it is at it's best.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

X-Files. I lost interest in Supernatural after the arc with Lucifer.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

supernatural m8

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

X-files no contest. Lost a bit when they got the new agents but Supernatural didn't interest me beyond the first few seasons.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Joke thread? One is a timeless classic and the other is trash.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

I can honestly say X-files was an excellent show at its best, seasons 2 - 6 were amazing, though each had a few clunkers.

Season 1 is decent also, but the acting is pretty wooden and it shows its age.

If anyone wants a quick initiation of X-files before season 10 begins, seek out the first X-files movie, and chase it down with the entire 6th season (which continues from end of movie), which basically has it all. There were some far-fetched episodes, but it was a fun ride. If you like that, you are good to go for the other seasons.

Also, Breaking Bad fans can appreciate Vince Gilligan's contribution to season 6 as executive producer and often writer/director. Episode 2 of Season 6 is where Gilligan and Cranston first worked together.

Never seen Supernatural so I can't compare.

Eh, the first X Files movie is pretty bad. Just a lot of empty action sequences, not much of a plot, and basically nothing gets resolved because at that point it was already plain that the Mythology arc was a bunch of hot air.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

@LexLas said:

Ok, i used to watch the X-files so long ago. Honestly the show never showed much, and it was pretty boring. When the X-files movie came out, that was finally and ending we all wanted to see. A Flying Saucer, wow. Then it was over. It was different times. I can't see this show making a come back ? I mean do we really want to be teased again, episode after episode ? I watched the overview of the new tv series remake, and it seemed interesting, but not if every episode is going to be talk about aliens again, and no show. I'll pass ..

The "monster of the week" stuff was pretty great for the most part. The mythology arc started off good but after a while it became obvious that Carter et al. had no idea where they were going with it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I think it's difficult to compare. X-Files was great for it's time. It was fresh and original, but it was also -extremely- formulaic. Episodes followed one of two templates: Main story eps and "filler" eps. The filler eps involve them investigating some "thing" not related to the main alien invasion storyline, Mulder's 100% positive it's supernatural or weird science, Scully's 100% positive it's not. By the end of the ep they get proof that it is that Scully may or may not agree that something weird happened and they walk away from the situation with no real proof of anything only to rinse and repeat again next week. Then there's the main alien invasion plotline that basically does the same thing, only over an arc of several episodes per plot thread. I loved the show at the time, and it's cultural impact is obvious, but I'm not dying to go back and re-watch it from scratch. There were, however, some really good and impactful individual episodes ("Home" immediately springs to mind as one), some really funny ones ("Bad Blood" and "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" are great examples), but there were also some serious groaners that were painful to get through like "First Person Shooter" that was so stupid it didn't even manage to amuse. Also, the main invasion storyline was way less interesting than the filler episodes to me.

Supernatural is a lot more fun, by comparison. The series carries emotional impact, although not to the same level as X-Files most of the time. The filler eps are fun but there are far fewer of them compared to X-Files and the main story arcs are mostly really solid. It took a little bit of time to get off the ground (first season was a little boring until they started getting into the underlying story) but the main arc that followed seasons 1 through 5 was -really- solid. The season 6 and 7 arc was also pretty cool and introduced some interesting ideas and characters. Season 8 was probably the weakest but 9 and up have been pretty decent. The comedic episodes of Supernatural are also freaking hilarious.

Oh, and I attended last year's ComicCon with these that I made on my 3D printer.

-Byshop

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I'd say the X Files. Supernatural really got dull for me in the recent seasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Good matchup, both are easy to watch out of order, its hard for me to answer, younger me loved X-Files, but younger me loved some weird stuff. I would have to say im undecided, on any given day i could like one more then the other.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AFBrat77

@Laihendi:

I liked the first X-files movie and it works well with Season 6, which, IMO is the best season, ever so slightly better than Seasons 2 and 3, which admittedly had better "monsters of the week" episodes (Darrin Morgan had a hand in some episodes) but lacked the diversity, humor (except for Morgan episodes), and the great banter of Season 6 between Mulder and Scully.

So, I don't agree with you other than Carter didn't know what to do with the myth-arc, that much is true, but let's see what happens. Looking forward to the Darrin Morgan episode, he was the best director in the series.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AFBrat77

Only 3 days left until X-files season 10 begins.....only 6 episodes but I hope they regained the magic.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

X-files. I like Supernatural too, but it needs to end.

PantsWearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PantsWearer
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

X-files. It started my quest for the truth about the mysterious turtle that would strangely appear at odd times and in odd places. Years later and I'm still no closer to the truth but the search for the truth is its own reward.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AFBrat77

Heard the first episode of Season 10 of the X-Files was good.....saw bits and pieces, looked quite good.

Supposedly the 2nd and 3rd episodes of this mini-series are especially good, and the 3rd one was directed by Darrin Morgan, X-files best writer/director.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AFBrat77

Second episode of X-files season 10 was really good! Next one features their best director from the original run.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@LexLas said:

Ok, i know this is wierd because i am quoting myself. I just watched the new episode, and WOW !! I am blown away about how they just went at it, and brought it out like " Wham ! " ... The new X-files is dope as **** !! Yes, i've said it. I am very impressed, and just want to recommend it to everyone. Just blew me away. So dam good !

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AFBrat77

@LexLas:

Can't wait for the 3rd episode, should be a good one. First 2 episodes were pure updated 90's X-files.

Tellury52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tellury52
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

First of all, Supernatural was inspired by the X Files. Many of the actors from the X Files are in Supernatural, and there are many references to the X Files too. The X Files wasn't just about entertainment, but about social issues -- something that Supernatural lacks.That's why it was so popular back then; like Game of Thrones now. Obviously the X Files is the winner.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I prefer Supernatural to the X-Files. The X-Files got really dull with all the ufo conspiracy storylines that never went anywhere just around in circles.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Supernatural *WAS* good...they drag it out too long, should have ended it when Sam got pull to hell with Lucifer...& Dean was married etc. So X-Files.. :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

X-Files is probably the single greatest television series of all time. Better than Simpsons, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story...everything. Every single episode was a work of art, carefully crafted by masterful writers, executed flawlessly by a relatively unknown pair of actors, and directed near-perfectly.

There have been a lot of good shows since, and before, the X-Files, but nothing has come close to the greatness of that near-perfect series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Old Xfiles was awesome, new one was pretty lame unfortunately. The first Xfiles movie was pretty good, and tied well with the series as well.

So, ignoring the new season, or later weaker seasons, X-files for me.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AFBrat77

The 3rd episode of the new season of X-files was great but the rest was meh.

But as I said before about 8 months ago (lol at this necro thread), seasons 2 - 6 were fantastic. I still haven't seen Supernatural yet though.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@mrbojangles25: You think it's a masterpiece, I could never get through more then 2-3 episodes before getting bored to death and would stop watching.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

For me, it's definitely X-Files and it isn't even close.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

never seen either cuz I dont like that type of stuff, but the X-Files has a cool intro song.

GeorgiPEEV123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeorgiPEEV123
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

I haven`t still watched the X files, but I have watched all episodes of Supernatural and I love it. For the X - file voters who hate Supernatural I will say you do that cause X have been your first watched series and just cause of that you hate Supernatural? What the hell you don`t like? It has everything - fantasy /NEARLY EVERYTHING POSSIBLE KIND OF FANTASY, except the aliens/, horror, drama, intense, comedy, interesting and with 1000 changes plot, every season with different one. I admire the writersa and the producers for making the longest fantasy series ever /Doctor Who is sciense fiction I don`t mean it/ and for keeping up and continuing with the show despite of the hates and unlikes like YOURS. ANd they continue SUCCESSFULLY. I give 10/10. Can`t compare between the series though, but I think if I watch the X I will think Supernatural is better.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

Very different shows, but here's my take.

Supernatural has been consistently good for most of it's run, whereas X-files lost steam around season 6-7. The good seasons of X-Files are better than Supernatural though.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

X-files is something very special for me. some of its appeal to me however is due the general 90's atmosphere it has in the first seasons. just looking and the clothes, cars and the whole atmosphere turns me on.
I have only watched a few episodes of Supernatural and I found it lame and stupid.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AFBrat77

@judaspete:

Season 6 was the X-Files best season, followed closely by 2 and 3......so the show didn't lose steam until Season 7.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@judaspete:

Season 6 was the X-Files best season, followed closely by 2 and 3......so the show didn't lose steam until Season 7.

You're probably right. It's been a few years since I watched the show. I just remembered Doggett came in season 8, and things had been going downhill for a while before that.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@tellury52: Please don't necro bump.

-Byshop